• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Tuturu. Everybody loves Steins;Gate.

I don't. If anything, I thought it was one of the most disappointing anime I've watched, not because it's one of the worst anime I watched, but because it had potential and then squandered it. Ultimately didn't like any of the characters, several times I felt the story was sort of dumb and arbitrary, and I hated the ending.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention a couple weeks back I took on some one shot OVA called 1 Pound Gospel, some boxing anime about weight loss and a coach dumb enough to give his champ a large cheeseburger before a match which almost causes him to puke. Oh lord was the pacing slow during the non-fight scenes, otherwise it was okay. Now for the main meat of the post: I am taking on six anime at once!

-When They Cry Kai: Got to episode 15, now we finally got a full picture of what the hell is going on.... spoiler[So the women in Rika's family emit pheromones that keep a bunch of parasites at bay that infect the villagers and if they leave or all the "queens" die they'll become paranoid schizophrenics that eventually claw out their throats somehow; some secret agency wants to infect Tokyo with it somehow. Do I even need to say that biologically THAT IS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE? Parasites tend to die with their hosts! In addition eps 14 and 15 have backstory focused on the main villain having a tragic childhood.... After we see her slit Rika open at one point. Yeah, sympathy really doesn't work that way.] Everything else mentioned below I watched the first three episodes of.

-Vampire Knight Guilty: It looks like some semblance of a plot took place in the first episode, otherwise it is mostly a continuation of the first series with flashbacks.

-Nodame Cantible: Recommended to me by the same guy that recommended me Oh! Edo Rocket and Moribito on Anime Suki a couple years back, I often see this on anime recommendation charts with some claiming it to be among the best romance anime ever.... Boy am I so not agreeing with those statements! It is just a sitcom with a messy woman and a neat-freak man with lackluster comedy and for an anime with a music theme it has the oddest habit of not focusing on it. The first episode has a very strange first three minutes of flashbacks that currently aren't amounting to everything. Add in a low budget to the animation and I sense this is going to be long and drawn out.

-Chibi Goddess Karin: OH LORD IT'S DERP GIRL! This is where that derp macro came from! Oh dear, this has actual problems with it such as: acting comedic during serious moments (like when the titular character's cat dies and she tries having a funeral), a low animation budget, one girl who constantly whispers everything (kind of a pet peeve of mine which I only bring up because aside from Tales From Earthsea I don't encounter this in anime, usually just low budget horror or independent movies), none of said comedy being funny, the antagonists have not been set up well, and the lack of action kind of hinders it. During the credits I noticed that friggin Satellite of all studios made this! The creators of such anime like Aquarion, Nobunaga The Fool, Macross Zero and Frontier, M3, Bodacious Space Pirates, and Arjuna? Granted those last two were meh and I'm sure as hell not counting the adaption of Muv-Luv, but still, I expected better from them!

-Maria The Virgin Witch: It is short and I am torn. On one hand it looks like it could be actiony and it looks pretty, but on the other hand it has some ecchi nonsense to it that makes up a chunk of the plot. What I'd like to know is why the hell would you throw out your main premise at the third episode? This is a bait and switch story, isn't it? Maybe it was the advertisement, I don't know.

-Blade of The Immortal: There was a toss up between this and Samurai Champloo, this one won because it was shorter. You can tell this anime was designed to have similar minutia to Death Note what with the erratic animation in the opening sequence and the overly dark tones in the colors. "This guy survived suicide when a bunch of his comrades did, he's a therefore a murderer!" I am so glad this philosophy is not taken seriously anymore, because unless you're familiar with Japanese culture in advanced this would come off across as "what the hell?" Anyway, first episode was main protagonist set up, second episode was antagonist group set up, lots of dialogue and could use some action, otherwise there isn't much else to this beyond being a simple revenge story. Part of me wants to say this is an Afro Samurai knockoff that cut out what made that awesome, but I'm not that familiar with historical anime so I am likely wrong in that regard. I want to say the animation looks dated, but I can't be entirely certain at this time, maybe it is the color scheme. I would like to know how Manji got his immortality worms beyond "it's been in our family" and I find it weird that the opening, ending, and eyecatch sequences have modern buildings when this takes place in medieval Japan, the hell?

Most of you are wondering right now why I haven't talked about the music and pacing like I usually do. That is because with the exception of Maria The Virgin Witch they ALL have bad music and slow pacing! Five out of the six anime have this issue! Plus the music in Virgin Witch is stock anyway so it doesn't have much to write home about! Chibi Goddess Karin has the worst music of the bunch (that opening theme was approved HOW?) and Nodame Cantabile has the worst pacing. Blade of The Immortal is the one I tolerate the most out of those five, mainly because it hasn't had any other issues so far. I'll probably finish Dairanger before any of these since I am marathoning it. I just have to know how the hell did I get the slow pacing lottery? Did Infinite Ryvius and M3 warp my brain into thinking everything is slow paced? A couple days ago I went to see Everest in theaters and once that storm hit the rest of the movie felt like crawling to a screeching halt! Even movies I would normally like such as the recent Syfy channel original Lavantula had some degree of this! Am I having a brain condition where instead of time going faster as I age I experience it SLOWER? Shocked
Assumingorsomething

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm mainly trying hard to convince myself to finish Sword Art Online whilst mainly just waiting for the last episode of School Live! to be posted on Crunchy Roll so I can cry some more.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Just finished Funimation's dub of Selector Infected Wixoss on Blu-Ray. Amazing show. No spoilers for Spread please! I'm waiting on the dub eagerly. My god! It's gonna be a blast. Definitely "excellent" but it borders on Masterpiece.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Just finished Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni/Kai. Absolutely loved the first season but the second left me disappointed. I guess my main problem was they strayed from what made the first season so enjoyable (watching everyone go insane and vast amounts of blood and death) and focused more on the mystery. A good show overall but the second season's pacing left me just wanting it to hurry up and end.

Now started Spice And Wolf and am in love with Holo. Anime has given us plenty of fun and lovable female characters but Holo, in just the first three episodes that I've seen, has easily broken into my top ten, if not five. Not only a great character design and personality, but I'm loving Brina Palencia's dub. Thankfully it's trying to tell a more original story rather than sidelining her to being the female lead of another action/fantasy show (unless action becomes a factor later). Luckily I was able to get a good deal on this show from Amazon. Hopefully it won't disappoint.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Just finished Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni/Kai. Absolutely loved the first season but the second left me disappointed. I guess my main problem was they strayed from what made the first season so enjoyable (watching everyone go insane and vast amounts of blood and death) and focused more on the mystery. A good show overall but the second season's pacing left me just wanting it to hurry up and end.

Now started Spice And Wolf and am in love with Holo. Anime has given us plenty of fun and lovable female characters but Holo, in just the first three episodes that I've seen, has easily broken into my top ten, if not five. Not only a great character design and personality, but I'm loving Brina Palencia's dub. Thankfully it's trying to tell a more original story rather than sidelining her to being the female lead of another action/fantasy show (unless action becomes a factor later). Luckily I was able to get a good deal on this show from Amazon. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

I totally agree with Higurashi to Kai. They suddenly treat the show like an action story and give dramatic arcs to it rather than making it a horror mystery. Seriously, we spent too much time trying to get Satoko's damned uncle arrested. I forgot I was watching the same show the brought me Shion stabbing the girl to death on a cross.

The problem is that it suddenly goes from horror with completely sad endings, to a 100% completely happy, everyone wins ending. If one or two people died on the side of the good guys, I might call it a realistic but fulfilling show. Hell, they don't even have to die. The good guys won without getting hurt at all. It was just a curbstomp that lasted too long. It also doesn't help that the villain's motivations turn out to be petty and eye-rollingly generic of anime villains in these sorts of stories. spoiler[The world treated me like shit so I'm gonna get back at it by killing a bunch of people.]

And I know that this is probably saying too much of Higurashi, but... is it me, or did the second season try too hard to be dark? Everything was fairly tonally balanced up until Miyo Takano's backstory. I mean, really? There's no way that even 1980's Japan would have a Death Camp orphanage. Isn't that Black Lagoon's sort of thing?
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching season 1 of Lupin III last night. Although the show is somewhat erratic in tone and quality from episode to episode I enjoyed the show overall. This is partly because I tend to cut older anime more slack. Discotek did a good job on the release with copious liner notes on-disc and commentaries on several episodes; the set also includes both versions of the pilot film. I rated this show Good.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
On episode 8 of Funimation's release of Tokyo Ghoul, Season One. This is way better than I thought it would be. I assumed that most people who watched this show were just gore addicts who loved action-horror shows like Hellsing. I was surprised to find that this was so much more than just action and death.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
^ Hey, I'm watching that next after I finish Black Butler!

I just dropped by to gush about Episode 11 of Psycho-Pass, because OH MY GOOOOOOOD. This episode was so amazing in so many ways. This episode just cemented my love for this wonderful wonderful anime. Allow me to explain in SPOILERS.

spoiler[I guess I should start with the arc villain Senguji. I really liked how he was a study of contrasts. He has old-fashioned tastes, whether it be through music, weapons, and even the traps he uses while hunting Kogami. At the same time, most of his body has been replaced with synthetic material, making him a sort of cyborg. Also, that creepy smile.

Of course, the climax of this episode was really intense, and was classic Urobuchi in how ruthless it was. You think they're not going to kill off Yuki, especially when we just got to know her. You think that Akane's going to save her when Yuki's been taken hostage. She doesn't. Yuki dies at the hands of Makishima, and it's all our main heroine's fault.

The worst part is that this scene serves to demonstrate how utterly broken the Sibyl System is. This system works under the "insane equals violent" mentality that society and the media promote. If you're not mentally healthy, you're automatically ostricized at best and executed at worst. Makishima's Psycho-Pass not only never reaches the point where he could be arrested, but it's slowly going down as the scene progresses. He knows fully well what he's doing, and he's enjoying it. Oh. My. God.]

So, those are my thoughts. This episode was great. I love this anime. Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
Just finished Tokyo Ghoul. Now I'm on the Kyoto arc of Rurouni Kenshin.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
I finished watching No Game No Life. It was a good watch. Sora's enthusiasm and Shiro's incredible knowledge of the gaming world made the world of Elkia a place full of extraordinary happenings, for better or worse.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Took a break from Rurouni Kenshin at the introduction of Makoto Shishio (voiced by the badass of voice actors, Steve Blum) in order to watch the 3 part movie, Memories.

My opinion in a nutshell?

Magnetic Rose - Masterpiece

Stink Bomb - Good (I guess, it dragged on a bit for me, but I found the ending to be hilarious so it gets a point above Decent)

Cannon Fodder - Not Really Good (I can see people saying it's higher because of the animation or at, but it did nothing for me. Sorry guys. This one was the real stinker of the three).

Seriously, I'd highly recommend Magnetic Rose. Just watch that and then maybe Stink Bomb, but there's no reason to force yourself through Cannon Fodder. Magnetic Rose is the greatest Satoshi Kon work I've seen thus far.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
^
Satoshi wrote the script from an idea of Katsuhiro Otomo's. The director was Koji Morimoto. ANN has just put up an interview with Koji Morimoto.

I heartily agree that Magnetic Rose is far and away the standout in the trilogy.

TRNielson wrote:
Just finished Usagi Drop. That was a dang good show... Watching it, I couldn't help myself but hope that any future daughter I have turns out like Rin. Absolutely loved her character and this show...

I've always thought of Rin as the 6 year old daughter I wish I'd had and Ohana from Hanasaku Iroha as the 16 year old daughter I wish I'd had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
^
I heartily agree that Magnetic Rose is far and away the standout in the trilogy.

Just curious. What do you think of the other two?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Stink Bomb: My reaction is like yours. It's a one joke story that relies on escalation for its effect.

Cannon Fodder: I don't respond well to its sour, unpleasant take on humanity. Technically it's interesting in that there are no cuts at all - it's just one continuous, flowing animation. Like all of Otomo's work that means lots and lots of work for the animators.

The whole film has just been re-released in Australia on bluray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 877 of 1061