• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
@TRNielson HAHAHAHHAHAHHA not touching that one with a one-hundred foot pole.

Honestly, the only part of the GitS franchise I really care about is the 2002 series that I'm watching right now. I might watch the movie if there's Tachikomas because I'd buy a plushie of one if I could, but I don't really care either way. I'm already behind on my anime viewing as it is.

I've also been rewatching Chobits (which aired episodes around the same time), and it does share some similar themes to SAC. I could write a post on my thread about that, but it won't be for a while. Heck, I have new content to post soon and I've been slacking off for far too long. (Wow, I really AM my own worst enemy.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I've also been rewatching Chobits (which aired episodes around the same time), and it does share some similar themes to SAC.

Their subject matters overlap, that much I can grant. Otherwise I would never consider to even mention the two franchises in the same sentence, given how different in tone and execution they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
I spent this morning watching Arcade Gamer Fubuki. The show features a cornucopia of references to many gaming titles like TwinBee, Street Fighter and Super Mario. While not a real showstopper, I found it to be a thrilling ride with Fubuki tapping into the power of her...inner strength to surpass even the sharpest gamer.

The reference concerning the dying trend of arcade gaming in Episode 2 was one of the emotionally touching moments I had with AGF...
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
^
How can you talk about Fubuki and not mention her "passion panties"? Wink
I know that the fanservice bothers some people, especially since Fubuki looks like she could be very young, though I do not remember if her age is ever established.

I have seen people express varying degrees of distaste, and stronger emotions, for Arcade Gamer Fubuki but I actually like it.
I wish that the manga had been licensed. It was done by Mine Yoshizaki, who more recently gave us Sgt. Frog. Fubuki makes some appearances in the Sgt. Frog manga but I do not know if they made it into the anime. Funimation did not go that far with their release.

Now that I am thinking about it I might just watch my Fubuki DVD again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Finally, after sitting around on it for months, I finally watched Princess Tutu. No regrets here. This show was amazing. Duck was an absolutely awesome lead (way better than her more popular contemporaries, Sailor Moon and Madoka Kaname) with a bubbly and hopeful personality that kept me rooting for her from start to finish. Fakir turns out to be a legit supporting character on his own and Rue turns into probably the most tragic antagonist of any show I've watched. I loved her from the get-go simply because I thought she had a killer character design but as the series progressed and we see the turmoil with her situation and emotions, I was sincerely pleased when spoiler[she got a happy ending with the Prince].

It's no surprise after watching it that its highly recommended for fans of Madoka Magica. I myself would recommend it for anime fans in general. The ballet scenes could be a bit cheesy and made me want to laugh on several occasions, but the series had such great heart to it that I was never able to stop taking it seriously.

So, if you haven't seen it already, hurry up and either watch it or add it to your Plan To Watch. Unless you only care for fan service and/or have no heart/soul, you'll enjoy this one.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I actually am watching Arcade Gamer Fubuki again, just finished the second episode, and I think that I like it even more now than I did before.
I had forgotten how funny this show can be. Given the age of the characters some of the humor can be in questionable taste, but fortunately (?) I have questionable taste so I am able to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
^
I'm ecstatic to have found another person that had fun watching Arcade Gamer Fubuki. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Honestly, the only part of the GitS franchise I really care about is the 2002 series that I'm watching right now. I might watch the movie if there's Tachikomas because I'd buy a plushie of one if I could, but I don't really care either way. I'm already behind on my anime viewing as it is.

Then I recommend watching the GitS:SAC: Solid State Society movie.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
So yesterday I finished Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise. Wow did this lose focus between side tracking from the plot, changing the villains randomly, having the treasures being hunted to activate a freaking doomsday weapon (were they trying to rip off Nadia? I don't get the joke), and a freaking beach episode. On top of that they decided to throw in light ecchi crap for the hell of it. Eh, it was meh, I don't know, maybe it is because I have seen literally over a hundred worse anime than this I can tolerate it, I mean the cast doesn't bug me that much and the writing is not flimsy. So.... That is a plus? Whatever.
TRNielson who I mistaken for Craig T Nelson wrote:
Madoka Magica. I myself would recommend it for anime fans in general.

Any particular reason? Aside from the ending theme I found nothing in it worth recommending.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Any particular reason? Aside from the ending theme I found nothing in it worth recommending.

I berlieve that TRNielson was recommending Princess Tutu.
Is your comment about Madoka?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Yes it is.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

I berlieve that TRNielson was recommending Princess Tutu.

This is correct. Although I recommend both, that particular comment was a recommendation to watch Princess Tutu.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
On top of the six (?) shows I'm watching this season, I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans mostly because I had started with it and never watched the entirety of it, and with a second season pretty much coming in the fall, it was a good time to watch. Although, I might go rewatch D.Gray-man (for the sake of Hallow in July). I just finished Gundam Unicorn last weekend.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Beansprout Midget wrote:
I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans

Most hype you hear about it comes from American audiences, Japan is divided over it compared to Reconguista in G.

Anyway, Lain of the Super Serial Expurimontul variety, up to episode 9. Oh dear. Episode 5 had Lain's sister, Mika, have lots of delusions before.... Umm.... Getting replaced by a doppleganger from the Wired? For those unaware, Wired is basically virtual reality internet, not the technology magazine of the same name. Razz My positive things about this series are running dry. Nobody seems to notice she got replaced, there are two men in black (they've done nothing since ep 2 and only now are they worth bringing up) who seem to be tracking some hacker group called the Knights who have done a grand total of.... I don't know, they haven't really done anything. Everything stems from Lain's doppleganger who is both an evil twin and omnipotent in the Wired or something. Top that off with an old scientist that made the Wired because bringing people together makes them inhuman when connecting or some jargon and you get a barely cohesive mess that is unsure what genre it should be in.

Then episode 9 hits, the series LITERALLY RAN OUT OF IDEAS AND BECAME A ROSWELL DOCUMENTARY! Yes! Grays! Aliens! Paranormal department of the government! And randomly bringing up some theory about if there is enough people and brainwaves eventually the whole species will be connected like one super brain- AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! THIS SERIES IS DUMB! Why the hell is it pulling things out of its colon? I'm partially convinced this was meant to be a short OVA series until someone decided "hey lets make this a TV series, don't worry we can pad it out later!" and come writing time they went "Oh man we don't have ideas! I know, lets just do some random rotoscoping and make it part documentary!"

>From the same guy that would later make Rec
>From the same writer AND producer that did Big O AND Hellsing Ultimate
>GUEST DIRECTING THE GUY THAT DID MAZINKAISER

WHAT. IS. EVEN. THE. EREBUS. Classic case of throwing in everything but the kitchen sink, but there are four eps for me to take on so maybe it'll make an appearance. According to /m/ this is last minute yuri or something, then again this comes from the place that think Astral Ocean was not as good as the first Eureka Seven all because "but this gives the main antagonist from the last series a leg to stand on!" or something. Ugh.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching all of Mai-Otome. The show got really dark on the latter half and the ending was an emotional thriller.

Overall, I had an awesome time with Mai-Otome. Smile The one thing that I find a bit upsetting was Mai and Mikoto not getting enough airtime, but oh well. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 903 of 1061