• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zidox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Finally started Initial D and I'm totally buzzing Very Happy

I'm a total petrolhead when it comes to cars and have been delaying this series for way too long..
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Finished the first season set (23 episodes) of Ranma 1/2. Akane is still awful. Genma is still hilarious. Ranma is still an alright character who never pissed me off but still does stupid stuff. Ryoga is still underutilized but great. Shampoo is better than Akane, so I really don't get why she's treated as the antagonist to Akane's love interest status when it should be the other way around. The English Dub is one of the better ones from the mid 90's when you get around the way Sasuke is pronounced (Sas-oo-kay, it should be Sauce-kay). The show is generally funny. I'd give it a "decent" so far. If it had only been a 23 episode show, I could see this being a classic, but I have no idea how it's going to retain my interests for the remaining 130+ episodes.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I have no idea how it's going to retain my interests for the remaining 130+ episodes.

May I safely assume that that you have absolutely NO interest in marathoning One Piece? Razz
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The enjoyment factor of a comedy full of fluff and a shounen epic with each story arc containing its own amazing, conclusive narrative, are completely different. I could watch One Piece forever (skipping filler arcs anyway) and never get bored. Ranma? Eh... I need more than an episodic narrative for 100+ episodes

I think it says something that I marathoned through the first 36 episodes of Hunter x Hunter in an overnight sitting without any love diminished, but over the course of about a week, watched 23 episodes of Ranma and wondered how I'm gonna get through the rest.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

The only mistake you made with Ranma 1/2 is that you marathoned a full set at one time. I would recommend not watching more than a disk worth at one time. After that move on to something else and come back to the next disk later. Since it is episodic you don't have to worry about losing the thread of the plot. Simply remembering who the various characters are should be enough. If you do give up or get burnt out on the TV series, you should still check out the movies and OVAs.

On a side note, the original translation of the name of the Tendo Dojo was "The Tendo school of indiscriminate grappling". Essentially making fun of all the "schools" of martial arts that specify what moves can and cannot be used.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
^

Good idea. So watch another anime, then watch a disc of Ranma, then another anime. Sounds completely doable.

And I did notice that when I looked at some supplemental materials. I found it to be an amusing bit of social commentary on Martial Arts itself. On a better topic though, how good would you say the films and OVAs are?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not real good at analysis. I can say I liked them a great deal. The animation is better and the movies do have a real plots. They have the same general tone and the same Tom and Jerry cartoon violence as the TV series.

If I remember correctly, Viz has announced that they will be issuing them as a set in the not too distant future. It will be interesting to see what they do with the titles. The movie titles assigned here were based on word play from US movie titles. This includes one show usually grouped with the OVAs because of its short length. Team Ranma vs. the Legendary Phoenix was issued as One Flew Over the Kuno's Nest.

Of note is the fact that the TV series was reportedly canceled after 18 episodes supposedly do to lack of interest. It must have happened very early in the run as they were able to move the Shampoo episodes up to serve as the end of the series. The three episodes involving the skaters were withheld even though they came before Shampoo in the manga. Apparently ratings picked up quickly as they only lost about five weeks before the restart with the Skating episodes. The original Viz release followed the broadcast order but the current release restores them to the manga order. This is why the opening changes with the skating episodes and reverts to the original opening with the Shampoo episodes.

At any rate, technically the TV series has two seasons. The first season of 18 episodes and the second of 143 episodes. The current release moves a few episodes around in later sets though I have not seen an explanation why.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
No harm in the Ranma movies and OVAs just being slightly more serious, longer episodes. Not everything can be Tenchi Forever (which is perhaps one of the best franchise films of a harem setup ever). Speaking of which, one reason that I feel Ranma isn't doing much for me is because it's not one of my first anime. It's probably getting a bit of the ol' "Seinfeld is unfunny" trope.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
The first Ranma 1/2 TV tape (dubbed) and the first Oh My Goddess! OVA tape (subtitled) were literally the first anime I ever saw. They were the result of a blind buy at a comic shop. Unlike many others, I had not previously seen anime disguised as Saturday morning cartoons.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman. It's a nice mix of a few harem laughs and some fierce combat with powerful adversaries. It was awesome how the students were able to recite their spells at such high speeds! Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
I started watching Those Who Hunt Elves.
It is one of the shows that I have seen before but do not remember well enough to rate it.

After three episodes I like it enough to continue.
There were times in the first episode when the animation was minimal enough to be distracting, but either the animation improved or I just stopped noticing it, which would indicate that I am enjoying the show enough to not be distracted.

Since the show is all about stripping elves I was a bit disappointed to not see a naked elf until the third episode. It seems that in this world one of the distinguishing characteristics of elves, in addition to the ears, is that they do not have spoiler[nipples]. Sad

The characters are keeping the show interesting.
The comic antagonism and bickering between Junpei, the male martial artist, and Celsia, the main female elf, helps.

Right now I would give it a Decent rating, but that can change. I just hope that it does not try to get too serious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to start Record of Lodoss Wars. No idea what to expect. I kind of expect it to be boring though. :'(
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I have now finished six of the twelve episodes of Those Who Hunt Elves and my rating has increased, slightly, to Good.

The story is completely episodic except for looking for spell fragments, which is not going well, so anybody who wants a plot should look elsewhere. But I am being entertained by it.

The animation is still a bit lacking at times, but it does not really bother me.
The character designs and art suit my tastes very well.

I will continue watching and, unless something changes drastically, I will finish the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's finished, I think Re:Zero is anime of the year. Perhaps only slightly behind Diamond is Unbreakable (but I often forget to count JoJo since it's always technically ongoing as a whole). It's definitely one of the best anime I've seen from the New Tens. I'd even put it up there with Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass, Anohana, Madoka Magica, and Hunter x Hunter 2011. It had a grand sort of scale while keeping the characters at the forefront. It never sacrificed plot for character depth. I loved it the whole way through.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I have now watched nine episodes of Those Who Hunt Elves and my opinion has not changed. It is still entertaining enough to be worthy of a Good rating.
The writers could still try to get too serious and dramatic, but with only three episodes left I doubt that they can do anything that would keep me from finishing it tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 926 of 1062