• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Gantz, but reading your post again I realize that I misunderstood you. I haven't seen Flowers, I've only seen some clips and pics here and there of the madness and found myself not having any interest in it. I can't say I can understand how an ending can drop a good show to worst ever, but I won't judge you (except maybe give you a weird look).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
I just felt like I'd been trolled. Kinda like loyal Dallas viewers must've felt when they realized the series had trashed over 30 episodes of plot by saying it was all one character's dream and never speaking of it again. Smile When creators flip off their audience directly like that, it sours whatever fond feelings there might've been for their work.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Gantz, but reading your post again I realize that I misunderstood you. I haven't seen Flowers, I've only seen some clips and pics here and there of the madness and found myself not having any interest in it. I can't say I can understand how an ending can drop a good show to worst ever, but I won't judge you (except maybe give you a weird look).

At this point, I don't think I'll hate One Piece no matter how bad it ends, and I HATED the last half of episode 27 of Gurren Lagann, but I still rated the show excellent. The reason is that that ending came out of nowhere, and upon rewatch, you can actually just stop halfway through the episode and say they lived happily ever after.

Something like Soul Eater where there is no cutoff point and the show just craps itself on the last fight is mindblowingly dumb. Everything good is leading up to this crap finale. If you just stop at your favorite part, it feels incomplete.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Those Who Hunt Elves 2
I decided to watch this now because I thought that it would be a continuation of the first series, and it is. After watching half of the twelve episodes I am enjoying this more than the first series.
This is a good time for the standard disclaimer about comedy being subjective. What works me me might not work for you.

The episode about the toilet paper was more bizarre than funny, but it was still amusing and enjoyable.
Some of the others were hilarious.

You do not often see an anime about the disagreement over the geocentric and heliocentric cosmological theories. Our heroes decide to help a heretical astronomer who believes that the Earth does move.
Her "proof" of that was not what I expected, and had me laughing.

The story about the beanstalk was a good example of unintended consequences.
It also gave Ritsuko a chance to be awesome. I enjoyed that because she is my favorite character.

So far my rating for this is Good, which is what I gave the first series, but it is closer to Very Good than the first ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished episode 10 of Is This a Zombie? Of the Dead, and... what type of ending was that?

Long story short, I was expecting a final battle with Chris much like there was one with the King of the Night at the end of season 1. But nothing's gotten out of Ayumu's "I'm perfectly capable of taking on Chris by myself" beyond the Head Teacher wiping his memory (with the implication that it was gonna stay that way after Chris's eventual defeat), the main three girls delving into his mind to save his psyche only for his slothful side to take control, and the final battle being not against Chris, but against Ayumu himself? I take it I'm supposed to believe the debacle with Chris was solved peacefully between her and Nene, and I do sorta believe that, but still, way to take my expectations and chuck them down a well.

[sigh] The OVA better make up for it in some way...
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I finished Those Who Hunt Elves 2 and decided to give it a Very Good rating.
It remained true to its beginnings and was a comedy through to the end.

The episode about the wolf got just a little bit preachy, but that was very brief and other than that the episode was very funny. It was one of several episodes that were based on fairy tales that would be familiar to people in the US and Europe.

The final gag in the show was not quite as funny as some of the previous ones, but it was definitely good enough.
The ending was not conclusive but I did not really expect, or need, a conclusive ending from this show.

This is an adventure comedy, but the emphasis is heavily on the comedy.
If your sense of humor is similar to mine** I recommend both Those Who Hunt Elves series.

**If you want to compare you can look at the Funny Shows list in My Anime.

Last edited by Touma on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'm going to start Record of Lodoss Wars. No idea what to expect. I kind of expect it to be boring though. :'(

Record of Lodoss War is a fun show. I suggest checking it out.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I'm going to start Record of Lodoss Wars. No idea what to expect. I kind of expect it to be boring though. :'(

Record of Lodoss War is a fun show. I suggest checking it out.

Saw two episodes, and while the ordering of those two was a little confusing (a misadventure and THEN the origin story?) they were entertaining. Heck, the aged dub was actually kind of charming instead of just dull and dead.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Touma
I recommend that you change your URL in your link to:
Code:
http://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=25&user=Touma
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
@nobahn
I changed it, but I had to use the URL for the regular server instead of the fast server.
I guess that my first URL was unique to me and I should not have copied it from the address bar in my browser. I hope that this one works for others.

Thanks for telling me about that. I never would have know that there was a problem because it worked properly for me when I clicked on the old link.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Princess Resurrection
I do not really have any special reason for watching this. I have already seen it twice, first subtitled and then dubbed, and rated it Very Good.
I had been planning to watch it again sometime, but I recently saw some fan art of Hime that aroused my . . . interest . . . and made me decide to watch it now rather than later.

Hime, who definitely does not look very monstrous, is one of my favorite monsters.
Reiri, the vampire who has not yet appeared, is also high on that list.

Hiro, the main male character, is really stupid. But that could just be a side effect of dying, which he has done three times in just the first two episodes.

The ADV release has a Steven Foster dub, which for me is a positive attribute and another reason for watching it again.

This show has 25 episodes so I will not be doing a running commentary on it here.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
I just re-watched Monster with a friend who is watching it for the first time. We stopped at episode 70.

Johan and Tenma are a great villain and hero respectively, Nina is a great character (and a rather attractive piece if I do say so myself), Lunge is interesting but underutilized, and Eva is one of the best "bitch" characters in fiction, especially with the way she develops and atones. There are a few contrivances, characters who get way too much focus (especially Schuwald's son, Karl and his Velma-looking friend), and worst of all, characters who don't get enough attention (Christoff, who is apparently Johan's apprentice and is shown to be great at exploiting details from others' pasts, basically vanishes after his role in the story is done with no mention of him afterward).

While I could go on for days praising the show for everything it gets right, I feel like it's popular enough that I should mention a few things that kinda irked me. Inspector Lunge, the man who first suspected Tenma and was the driving force of the movement to capture him, figures out that Tenma is innocent and Johan is real halfway through the story. Despite this, he makes no attempt to relieve Tenma of suspicion even when the good doctor is ARRESTED. Sure, he apologizes to Tenma when they're face to face again, but if he's sorry now, why wasn't he sorry when he figured it out?

And speaking of that, the ONLY real evidence that Tenma could possibly be the one behind these murders (aside from the muscle relaxants from earlier, which, aside from Tenma having somewhat of a motive behind doing it, ANYONE in the hospital could have done it) was Tenma's tie at the murder scene of the gardener. Okay, so why didn't Nina, Johan's twin sister and the only one besides Tenma who was there, testify for Tenma's innocence? She's the one who used the tie to immobilize the man, and if the police (especially Lunge) knew about her, she could easily convince them that Johan exists, since she's looking for him for the same reason as Tenma. Despite how easily this would cover up the whole Fugitive Tenma plot point (which feels kind of unnecessary when you look at the whole overview of the story), it never comes into play and Nina and Lunge never actually meet in-story.

Also, is it just me, or is Johan selective about who he'll kill and who he'll leave alive? I mean, his end-goal is to kill everyone who knows of him except for Dr. Tenma (and I guess Nina) but he leaves SO many characters alive. Schuwald, Karl, a few serial killers who are questioned in prison, Rudy (though perhaps Johan didn't know about him), Lunge (perhaps the same applies there), SEVERAL of the people in the library fire who likely survived in the end, Dr. Reichwein (he sent Roberto to kill him, but after Tenma gets Reichwein out, there are no further attempts), and Christoff (who we never see again, but usually the anime/manga is great at giving closure to characters used and betrayed by Johan). The only real constant target by Johan for knowing of his existence is Eva, ironically so considering that she'd originally be the LAST person to threaten him with that knowledge.

And while this one isn't a plot hole or anything, it's kind of a cop out. Roberto turns out to be the little kid that Grimmer was friends with back at 511 Kinderheim (listen to the description Grimmer gives the father of that boy, then listen to Roberto's dialogue when fighting Lunge). Roberto is, largely, a flat character who is just a mercenary for Johan, and who apparently worships him to a near fanatical level. Despite this, Johan and Roberto are never on-screen together until the end, so we don't know what sort of relationship the two truly have. Is Roberto Johan's friend? Does Johan at least treat him nicely compared to other tools? How did they meet? Why is Roberto so special that he gets to stay alive this long? Worst of all, Grimmer and Roberto NEVER interact in-story. They never meet face-to-face. This feels like a huge cop-out in terms of writing. True, you could consider it a tragic show of realism (what are the odds you'll just happen to meet your childhood friend from the Orphanage of Hell?) but considering everyone and their DOG has met Roberto, it's weird that Grimmer is the only major character who doesn't end up targeted by him once or twice.

Monster may have plot issues sometimes, but the characters are where it really excels. Dr. Tenma is one of the best protagonists in anime. Johan is such a great villain that if he never gave you chills, I question whether or not you're a monster. And all the other characters are great, especially Eva and Martin. I rated this show "excellent" for a reason after all. It's a personal favorite and, in my opinion, the greatest psychological thriller in anime that Satoshi Kon doesn't have anything to do with.

Most people say that the ending is a cop-out, and I agree. It's just not a cop-out that ruins the show on any real level. I was fine with it. Besides, there are so many ways that going through with it could have given the show an ending that was TOO dark. I'd prefer this over the negative possibilities of Tenma shooting Johan.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Ark IX (Ark Nine) - What did I just watch? I feel like that there was no story at all. It was just a bunch of action happening at once. You had explosions and gun action non stop with no story. Not to mention the animation looks 10+ years out of date seeing that this anime came out in 2013 and looks like it was made in 2002. This anime feels like if it was made by a 13 year old kid trying to be cool and edgy. This is not a so bad it's good type of anime. This is just plain bad. Not the worst anime ever made but it's close. Grade: E
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

Figured I might as well start-up on the series so I could could get up to date with it just before Diamond Is Unbreakable finishes airing. To be honest while I did enjoy this quite a bit it wasn't exactly as good as I'd hoped it would be, the action sequences and the way the fights were thought out was quite good but sometimes I found that they the characters were conversing (while fighting) for way too long, slightly too many points were over-dramatized and the survival rate of a lot of enemy characters was way too high (just watched the firstrr Stardust Crusaders episode and found out spoiler[Dio is still alive Shocked ]). Though I do like the fact the story is made up across generations and years and having different characters each part is refreshing and the unique animation style was very cool, the most disappointing thing was that I didn't get the see one of those 'Stand' things I'd been hearing about (I still like how they went into depths explaining what 'Hamon' was and how it worked) at least I know they'll be in the Startdust Crusaders having already appeared in the opening episode.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) (Episode 27/144):

Decided to get another big one started and so far I'm loving it; haven't had any previous experience with the Hunter x Hunter franchise so I decided to give it a try opening up I like how the test were so simple but challenging at the same time with them requiring mental and not just physical skill and how creatively different features were added to make it keep it interesting and the main characters are quite likable as well; Gon for example, even the he's got the 'childish but surprisingly strong' shounen main character thing going he's that way to a ridiculously extent and its clear to see early on that there are a lot of people much more powerful then him like Hisoka, Netero, Hanzo or even that guy who managed to incapacitated him in the third exam after having taken Hisoka's tag (he's also clearly not naive after seeing the process of him taking the tag in the first place.
Also each individual character shows at least a little skill like Leorio who mostly seems like hapless adult character but was good expertise in the medical side of stuff so I'm pretty excited to go into the rest of the show and see some of the character's back stories.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I have now watched a bit more than half of Princess Resurrection and I am definitely enjoying it enough to justify the Very Good rating that I gave it before.
I had forgotten how funny this show can be. Some of that is due to the Steven Foster dub, but I think that most of it comes from the original script.

I had also forgotten how much I like the character designs. The are by Kazuya Koroda, who also did the Sakura Wars OVAs, Vandread, and Spice and Wolf among others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 928 of 1061