• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if some Haruhi fanatic out there has actually gone through all 8 episodes, written out the scripts for each and noted every difference in dialogue, clothing, location, activity, where characters are positioned, etc, from the first episode all the way through. Ten to one, somebody has.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll need those bragging rights and I definitely don't want a Haruhi shirt, but it might be interesting to try and spot all the differences. I'd like to think that I'm not a masochist though so I can't say I'm confident in my ability to sit through all of those episodes when I eventually watch the season 2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I had some doubts, too. The only thing that gave me confidence before I started was my obsessive-compulsive need to watch all episodes of a title I own so I can put it in the Seen All category of my anime lists. Like me, you may be pleasantly surprised that it's not quite the daunting chore you thought it would be. Especially if you don't try to do them all in one sitting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I had no choice in the matter. Anime hyper Watched the Eight with my best friend and after each new episode started, she was all "NO. WE ARE GETTING THROUGH THIS. WE ARE GETTING THROUGH THIS TONIGHT".

Quote:
I definitely don't want a Haruhi shirt

It'd be funny though! Anime hyper
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I watched Endless Eight. I had to alternate between that and "Surprise" to keep myself from boring myself into insanity. It only partially worked.
peter a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I was suffering from wtf are you all talking about syndrome.
For I'm always on the look out for any good anime I've missed , I'm looking at season one where they start up the sos club.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a bit confusing, peter a. Technically, there is no "second" season of TMoHS. The first part was released then in 2009 more of that season was released, including the infamous Endless Eight arc. Really, it should be viewed as one season that was broken up into two parts.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Someone needs to market a Haruhi shirt that says "I Survived Endless Eight". Anime hyper

I survived it twice. I'm an idiot.

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I feared, either time. I prefer to distinguish the two seasons, as the first is sooooooo much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Presumably that's why the episodes that make up that season were released first even though some of them happen chronologically after the "second" season episodes. Get 'em hooked, then drop the weaker stuff later.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
@peter a

Even in watching the first season of Haruhi there is a complication. The first 14 episodes were broadcast out of chronological order. Depending on how you get access to this the order may or may not be explained. Some sets actually allow you to chose which order to watch them in. If you need the broadcast order, go to the encyclopedia entry for the show and click on "Episode Titles".

The big climax comes with the end of the first novel about the middle of the first series. The rearrangement pushes this to the end of the series. You will get differing opinions as to the best way to watch it. I think that chronological order makes the most sense but others differ. You may want to try it both ways.

In case it wasn't clear above, the Endless Eight from the second season involves a time loop. The animation team actually did the same episode eight weeks running with minor changes. This drove people crazy at the time. When you get to it you will have to decide for yourself if you want to watch all eight.

Confused much yet??
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed that the English dub has taken a lot of liberties with the script in Sailor Moon. I mean, the GOOD English dub. Anime hyper I just turned the subtitles on for what the Japanese audio is saying out of curiosity. Something along the lines of Minako saying "Oh, it's your birthday then." Turned into "Good for you, now you're a step closer to dying." in the English dub. It's not quite Yu Yu Hakusho level or anything, but it does help me to get through the anime's slower parts.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I just noticed that the English dub has taken a lot of liberties with the script in Sailor Moon. I mean, the GOOD English dub. Anime hyper I just turned the subtitles on for what the Japanese audio is saying out of curiosity. Something along the lines of Minako saying "Oh, it's your birthday then." Turned into "Good for you, now you're a step closer to dying." in the English dub.

REALLY!? That's hilarious!! Anime hyper I think I need to finally purchase it and wash that awful DiC dub out of my brain.

Thanks for sharing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
^

Sadly, it's not quite Yu Yu Hakusho level, where the dub takes tons of liberties to enhance the script both comedically and dramatically. It's just a significantly more amusing dub that enhances the meaning of the script to better fit an English script.

This is tough to explain, but I think I'll just say that Sailor Moon has a lot of filler episodes that are actually great and funny, but even then, you can absolutely tell that the actual plot is trying its best to be as slow as possible. The dub made me forget and enjoy myself more often than not.
peter a

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya some sort of right of passage, or is it nostalgia ?
I've watched all the first and second season and I've put it in my 5 worst anime so far list.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It's neither nostalgia nor a right of passage. Different people like different things. *shrug*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 938 of 1061