• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter a

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with that, I guess with my top 20 some you them will be in other peoples worse 5 list, it's all personal .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
For sure. And I guarantee you, as you watch more anime, TMoHS will get bumped off your 5 worst list. There is a lot of dreck out there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For sure. And I guarantee you, as you watch more anime, TMoHS will get bumped off your 5 worst list. There is a lot of dreck out there.

Angel Cop and Garzey's Wing say hi lol. Seriously though if you ever have a chance go to one of Mike Tool's "The Worst Anime of All Time"panels at a convention. They will open up a new world of horrible disparity for you heh.
kenatsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching When Marnie was there. It's been sitting in my shelves for a while now cause someone gave me a terrible synopsis of what the movie is about like a year ago. I'm glad I decided to watch it since I want to finish up on my catalogue of Ghibli movies that are still pending. I usually take my time though between films so that I can soak up each movie properly. I'm also moving along with Jojo's current season cause Jojo is just a show like no other.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
So, one thing that bothered me about Oh My Goddess' OVA series is the kart racing part. I mean... I know that Belledandy is supposed to be a total waifu who is way better than anyone's real life girlfriend and goes along with everything, actually loves the main character despite the fact that this all started due to a contractual obligation, and is nicer than Fluttershy and Ned Flanders combined, but... the fact that the protagonist's friends bet Belledandy without talking to either of them first kinda ruins the plot. Belledandy is not the "team captain's" to offer. She's hardly even the protagonist's. I get the plot, but they did it wrong. It's supposed to be that the main character bets her off without thinking about the true consequences, usually by saying something like "If you win, I'll give you whatever you want" without realizing that the opponent wants his child or wife or something. The fact that the main character never knew the stakes until the bet was decided seems pretty scummy. Not even mentioning the fact that they're objectifying Belledandy as his girlfriend rather than treating her as her own person.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578

Kichi's teammates are basically macho idiots. The kind that make bets like this without thinking of the consequences. They serve mostly to make trouble for Kichi and Belldandy and to make Kichi look good. The short form of the OVA made them leave a lot out. Most of the other people you will meet in the series are rather over the top.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@louis6578

Kichi's teammates are basically macho idiots. The kind that make bets like this without thinking of the consequences. They serve mostly to make trouble for Kichi and Belldandy and to make Kichi look good. The short form of the OVA made them leave a lot out. Most of the other people you will meet in the series are rather over the top.

Yeah... but that doesn't fix the logic of this world. Belldandy was never their's to bet. Hell, she might be Kichi's to bet simply because of magical contract BS, but the team? Nope. It's Ranma 1/2 stuff, which was popular at the time, sure, but even in that show, when someone was betting off Ranma or Akane to be married or something, it was protested or there was some in-character reason for the characters to go along with it.

I'll just assume it was the OVAs fault for leaving in such a plot point but not giving it the proper detail to really justify it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578

Of course Bell wasn't theirs to bet. No one could have enforced the bet anyway. Theirs was the logic of college students that have drinking contests. They specialize in inappropriate behavior, especially when a bunch of guys get together. Probably too much testosterone addled their brains. It was easier for Bell and Kichi to win than to argue with them.

In the manga they do similar stupid stuff on a regular basis.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I'll just assume it was the OVAs fault for leaving in such a plot point but not giving it the proper detail to really justify it.

There is no other "proper" detail to justify it. Even in the tv series or the manga. Tamiya and Otaki are brainless meatheads who do over the top stuff like that throughout the series. That is the POINT. The fact that THEY, not Kei, bet Bell as a prize without thinking. Everything they do in the series they do without thinking ahead. That is their gimmick. That's what they are there for. They're big macho neanderthals who always cause trouble when trying to do something good. They always mean well but their whole shtick is putting Kei in ridiculous situations and making messes he has to clean up. Kei would never bet Bell because he is too nice and soft. Hence why Tamiya and Otaki always do it assuming Kei will obviously win because he's Kei and the motor club never loses.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
^

I get it, but I dunno. I feel like it'd be better if they bet a material possession, like Kei's life savings or something. I know it's easy to get into the separate mindset of "goofy comedy" rather than "slice of life anime" for some people, but I think it's just my biases showing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Shomin Sample. The rivalry between Aika and Reiko were hilarious, Karen's swordsmanship was a fantastic sight (aside from the accidental slashes to uniforms), and the occasional appearances of the muscle men were...okay; it's not terrible, but not quite that thrilling. Overall, a fine show. Smile
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Looking for Anime to watch and now started finding them by alphabetic order so I`m on
"And you thought there is never a girl online ?"

Which is about a girl who doesn't understand the difference between MMORPG world and reality.

Since when did universal studios make Anime ?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Since a Japanese studio bought (or merged with) Universal.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
There was an Answerman about that, I think. This one, I believe.
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since a Japanese studio bought (or merged with) Universal.

Didn`t know that , it`s the first anime I`ve seen with the Universal studios at the start.

Keeping with my any anime starting with the letter A , I guess it`s assassination classroom season 1 and 2 , I think I`ll skip Angel beats which is on everyone cry baby list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 939 of 1062