• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
If Crunchyroll's anime awards taught us ANYTHING, it's that we shouldn't take popularity contests at face value. These things should be decided by a select few who have seen a LOT of anime.

Yeah, seeing the results was a bit saddening.

Like Deku from Hero Acadamia for Hero of the Year. What was he even the hero of? Did people choose it because it is a hero show that was fairly popular and he is the main character? The villain from Erased was the most voted villain? Out of all of the villains of the year, that is who people choose to put on top. But even candidates had a problem like including the villain from Hero Acadamia, when all he really did was look spooky. I fail to see how Sakamoto won best comedy, sure some tastes might like it, but there really was a problem with a lack of variety of jokes, and they could be a bit miss compared to some other comedies. And Yuri of Ice kind of stormed several categories, when it would seem that maybe high popularity and being recent encouraged vote a bit.

And as much as I don’t think super highly of Erased as a full show, I do think it should have gotten most heart-warming. Probably not the best place to rant about all that, the unevenness of popularity.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I do think that Deku and Mob are strong candidates for best hero. As in best focal characters in an anime this year. Both have very realistic, relatable, and easy to emotionally connect with goals. Especially Deku. Being born into a world full of superpowered people and wanting to be a hero despite being a rare individual who is born without them? I don't see how you can't feel for him a little bit. I almost cried a few times in the first couple of episodes.

I also agree with Rem being best girl of the year, and MAYBE Yuri on Ice deserves one or two awards, but Erased does NOT deserve Best Villain. The villain was the weakest part. I agree that it's a strong contender for most heartwarming. I think that the moment where Josuke meets his father (who I refuse to spoil the identity of for anyone who hasn't started watching JoJo seriously) was a smile factory too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
If Crunchyroll's anime awards taught us ANYTHING, it's that we shouldn't take popularity contests at face value. These things should be decided by a select few who have seen a LOT of anime.

Then it wouldn't be a popularity contest. The lesson is simply that anime that is popular with the most people who voted wins in a popularity contest. The secondary lesson is to not equate popularity contests with awards of excellence. As long as you don't do that, then taking them at face value, i.e., the value of being popular, is fine.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Then it wouldn't be a popularity contest. The lesson is simply that anime that is popular with the most people who voted wins in a popularity contest. The secondary lesson is to not equate popularity contests with awards of excellence. As long as you don't do that, then taking them at face value, i.e., the value of being popular, is fine.

But it shouldn't be a popularity contest in the first place...

Anyway, I finished episode 50 of Fushigi Yuugi! Holy crap! It's like Yu Watase was asleep at the wheel for 40 episodes and finally hit a speed bump that woke him the HELL up! Let me clarify. The show is NOT amazing right now, but it's halfway decent. It has been ever since Tamahome and Miaka left the book.

A few nitpicks. When they tell Hotohori about what happen, they only say Nuriko died instead of Nuriko and Chiriko. Why, you ask? Because Watase honestly probably forgot about Chiriko. He was an irrelevant little boy who only existed so that there would be seven members of the harem. Oh, and the amount of times that a character says another character's name and nothing else is BAFFLING to me.

Anyway, the scenes where Tamahome is confused by all the modern day stuff are actually pretty amusing. Heck, I actually giggled a little when Miaka's brother squeed over getting to meet Tamahome and asked for an autograph. And when Tamahome saw a television turn on and was amazed by the "magical box," it reminded me that I actually enjoyed him near the beginning of the show. He's finally back to being THAT Tamahome, minus his love for Miaka. Oh, by the way, Miaka still ruins everything she touches. Is she... aware that her food is bad? It seems that way, but she made food anyway, and when Tamahome and MIaka's bro tried to ignore her food by acting like they were too caught up in watching TV, she rather hostilely tells them to "EAT IT!" which tells me that Miaka is a sadistic jerk.

Anyway, Mitsutake died, which left me feeling... nothing. OH! I just remembered something hilarious though. The baby he was helping needed his life force in order to survive. And we all know that the only way to transfer life force in this world is by... well, I won't say it because I've laughed at this show more than enough. Lets just say that either Yuu Watase retconned that horrible idea, or Mitsutake had to do some sick, sick things to save that baby.

Oh, and Yui is still being a massively horrible person and doesn't even try to stop Suboshi from attempting to kill Miaka because... I dunno. She was raped. That justifies all bad things ever. Whatever. Hotohori's death was probably the most effective one, even if that montage was forced and annoying. I admit that him looking at a photograph of the Suzaku Seven was a nice touch, and the song that played during his montage was pretty beautiful. It's still a contrived montage like Nuriko's own death montage though.

Oh, speaking of which, I wonder why Chiriko and Mitsutake didn't get a montage. Could it be because Watase is a hack writer who never gave those two anything for us to fondly remember because, well, frankly they're flat characters who have never done anything to contribute?

Suboshi gets killed by... the ghosts of Tamahome's family. -.- Yeah, see what I mean when I said that even though the show is way better now, it's not really good? Yui finally understands that she's been used by Nakago, but when Nakago points out that she came to these conclusions on her own and he barely had to do anything to manipulate her (points that are all totally valid, by the way), she acts like he's still the actual bad guy who forced all these things to happen. What have we learned, kids? If you're a woman, you can never do anything wrong. ESPECIALLY if you thought you were raped. That's a good excuse to try and ruin your friend's life. If you come to regret it, just remember to blame the nearest man to you.

Then Tamahome died. -.- I felt nothing for some reason. Could it be because I don't think Watase had the balls to really kill him? Tasuki and Chichiri came out of the book... and the climax begins.

If I had to describe the quality of the show overall, I'd say it has a Naruto problem. It had a fairly strong (but standard) beginning, but then during the bulk of the middle, it went straight to horrible boring territory. Now that it's close to the climax of the story, it went back up in quality. But the middle quality is worse than Naruto's own. It's more like if the Nadia Island Arc was the bulk of the whole series instead of just 10 episodes. I sure don't think that the show being semi-good now justifies ANYTHING that it put me through. It needs to have the best ending ever to change my mind.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A few nitpicks. When they tell Hotohori about what happen, they only say Nuriko died instead of Nuriko and Chiriko. Why, you ask? Because Watase honestly probably forgot about Chiriko.

I don't want to defend the show at all....but I do specifically remember the scene where they brought Chiriko's body back and showed it to Hotohori....which freaked me out. Anime hyper

.........I mean, ancient China, man.....I don't think preserving bodies must have worked too well back then. >_> yick and he was dead for a while before they got back to Konan too.

*Also, Watase is a woman.

*Tama freaking out over a modern world is pretty amusing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Regardless. Yu Watase is the Stephanie Meyers of manga as far as I'm concerned.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

HAHAH NOPE.
Mayu Shinjo is infinitely worse.

I'm dead serious; take everything bad about FY and multiply it by over 9000. If she was writing FY, all the near rape scenes would be ACTUAL rape scenes, and the one who would be doing the most raping would be Tamahome and Miaka would never leave him because "THIS IS TWOO WUV"; she should be flattered that she's so beautiful that no man can control himself when he sees her; also the man is always the superior one in their unhealthy relationship; she should just shut up and obey his every word; she should be honored to be in his presence alone.

Also, unlike Watase, EVERYTHING Shinjo writes is utterly disgusting and tasteless like that....I dare you to research her stuff. Anime hyper

She wrote one story for the younger audience of Ribon and I really liked the first chapter; so cute and innocent...AND THEN IT GOT CREEPY AGAIN. This woman is QUEEN of misogyny; all the ecchi harem manga/anime I've seen treat female characters with more respect than she does!
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

HAHAH NOPE.
Mayu Shinjo is infinitely worse.

I'm dead serious; take everything bad about FY and multiply it by over 9000. If she was writing FY, all the near rape scenes would be ACTUAL rape scenes, and the one who would be doing the most raping would be Tamahome and Miaka would never leave him because "THIS IS TWOO WUV"; she should be flattered that she's so beautiful that no man can control himself when he sees her; also the man is always the superior one in their unhealthy relationship; she should just shut up and obey his every word; she should be honored to be in his presence alone.

Also, unlike Watase, EVERYTHING Shinjo writes is utterly disgusting and tasteless like that....I dare you to research her stuff. Anime hyper

She wrote one story for the younger audience of Ribon and I really liked the first chapter; so cute and innocent...AND THEN IT GOT CREEPY AGAIN. This woman is QUEEN of misogyny; all the ecchi harem manga/anime I've seen treat female characters with more respect than she does!

You know what? I don't even care if it's worse. If its shorter than Fushigi Yuugi, I'll take it. Hell, School Days was more worthy of my time. That just sounds like Amnesia, which was the hilariously offensive type of bad. Like Big Order.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 51, nothing happened at first. Tasuki and Chichiri seemed prepared to die, and even gave some pretty badass lines that I'd expect less from Fushigi Yuugi and more from Yu Yu Hakusho. Such as "If we're going to visit Hotohori, it would be rude to not have a gift for him! We'll bring Nakago with us to the afterlife as an offering to our fallen emperor!" Of course, through the magic of plot contrivance, ERM I mean, Miaka's beautiful, purehearted will to protect her loved ones, EVERYONE COMES BACK TO LIFE, thus cheapening their deaths and making me regret ever complimenting the show for having the nuts to kill any of these guys off. I love how Nakago seems totally okay with this. "Ah, I see. So this is the power of friendship." That's a legit line. Not from an abridged series or something.

It doesn't make sense. Oh, also, there's some weird dying dream Tamahome has about getting married to Miaka in our world. This might have been endearing if it lasted a minute or two. It lasts nearly half the episode. This is truly insulting. As if this show didn't waste enough of my time already.

You know, it's watching shows like these with all the pointless scenes and random crap that tries and fails to get an emotional response out of me that make me realize... I am wasting several hours of my limited time on this Earth watching something that I don't like. -.- I WANT A REFUND!

Also, every second that Miaka is alive and breathing, I feel like I'm getting dumber and dumber. I think the show can actually correct all of its mistakes if in the final episode, Miaka dies in some slow way.
peter a

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
The last ones I`ve watched were: Elfen Lied , Psycho-Pass 1&2 and Ef: A Tale of Memories , which all was worth watching for differing reasons.
The last one being “Ef: A Tale of Memories” which the main story was about a girl who had a car accident 12 years before and can only remember the last 13 hours, so need to write in a journal about her condition and everything which happens, each day she wakes up thinking she is her younger self and having to read her journal, so spends her time reading alone at an abandoned train station , One day she meets a boy and quickly become friends and eventually decide to write a novel together.

PLUS also has 2 side stories about relationships and rejection between two childhood friends.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

You know what? I don't even care if it's worse. If its shorter than Fushigi Yuugi, I'll take it. Hell, School Days was more worthy of my time. That just sounds like Amnesia, which was the hilariously offensive type of bad. Like Big Order.

It's all manga. :O .....though Kaiken Phrase did get animated....I think it's even longer than FY.

Amnesia was bad....but mostly in the boring kind of way. I was only angry at the cage thing.

Tamahome's dad telling him to "go back to life" is pretty hilarious, ain't it.

Rolling Eyes

And you know what else bugs me about that scene: okay, let's show his whole family happily frollicking about in the afterlife....except you forgot MOM!!!???

He said she died a long time ago so why the hell isn't SHE there too!? I hate how moms constantly get screwed over in media.

Really, the only good part about that "death dream" was how Nuriko punched Tamahome for saying his little sister was much cuter than Nuriko. Anime hyper I did lol at that.

Gash Bell 15

WHOEVER WAS IN CHARGE OF THE CHARACTER ANIMATION THIS EPISODE NEEDS TO BE DROP-KICKED IN THE FACE.

Twisted Evil

They were constantly off-model. It was so distracting. If I could afford the time, I'd capture all the "derp faces" I caught and post them to tumblr. But I don't like making fun of anime I like. This is 2003, PEOPLE, not the goddamn 80s. And a show this good deserves far better treatment.

I liked the scene with Gash protecting the flower. It took me back to the time I tried to protect a moth from some butthole kids. Seeing a fragile and beautiful thing mercilessly crushed when it did nothing wrong just moved me to tears. There's no good reason....no justification for such cruelty to an innocent living thing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
There. I finished Fushigi Yuugi. First, just regarding the final episode, negatives.

Nakago's backstory, while not particularly bad (I find him being a sex slave for the emperor after unintentionally killing his mother and the men assaulting her to be more believable for the setting of the story than simply emotionally manipulative) was incredibly poorly timed. It felt like it was shoehorned in for the sake of making his death a LITTLE sad. We should have known these things way before his demise. If you want a surprisingly effective look at this sort of villain backstory reveal, I recommend checking out Chouji Suitengu from Speed Grapher. He's great.

Tamahome getting everyone's energy without them pulling down their pants. Tsk tsk. Yu Watase needs to commit to her own rules.

Miaka suddenly becoming a messianic archetype despite having shown nothing but petty selfishness until now was stupid. It's such a cheap narrative trick to make it look like the character has grown over the course of the series, when really she grew over the course of 10 minutes in an unrealistic fashion.

Nakago's death was... trying too hard to make him sympathetic when he had been nothing but a villain up until that point. It felt like if a horror anime suddenly tried to act like a sitcom. So like Elfen Lied.

Tamahome being reincarnated at the end was so much of a stretch that it hurt. Reincarnated with all his memories in tact, and for some reason he just now shows up instead of... I dunno, going to Miaka after she immediately finished her adventure or something?

Either way, this show gets a Bad rating from me on my ANN. It's really not worth anyone's time. On to something that is.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Lol I agree with all of that.

Miaka's "character development" was a friggin joke.

She isn't as obnoxious in the OVAs (where she has aged a couple years) at least but the first OVA won't have you suspecting that right away. To quote Keisuke, "That's my little sis! No ordinary idiot would just run into a wall!"

Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah... I'll watch those OVAs when I feel like I've done something horrible. Like, if I accidentally hit a dog with my car, I'll punish myself by watching those.

Now then! What's next for me? Is it... Martian Successor Nadesico, Boys Over Flowers, Ping Pong Club, Gundam Wing, Wedding Peach, Saber Marionette R, or Key the Metal Idol?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Now then! What's next for me? Is it... Martian Successor Nadesico, Boys Over Flowers, Ping Pong Club, Gundam Wing, Wedding Peach, Saber Marionette R, or Key the Metal Idol?

Go for Key, I say! It is still readily available for streaming, if I recall, and I will maintain that it holds its own (to say the least) against the rivalling titles you've listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 956 of 1060