• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching Kemono Friends? The animation is basic MMD level, but otherwise it's really delightful. Furries must be having a field day with this. Smile

Aside from the True Facts About Various Animals aspect, the anthropomorphized girls are pretty funny and I like that Bag-chan gets to show off her human smarts now and then without lording it over the others. I hope we find out what happened to make the park this way. Oddly, most of the girls seem to realize they're not strictly the animals they (or their forebears) once were, which is interesting. But I'm still not quite clear on why the beaver and the prairie dog were sharing a mountain forest habitat.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm loving Kemono Friends! And I ain't even a furry. Honest.

Beaver and Prairie Dog are sharing a LAKESHORE mountain forest habitat and I assume they are doing that because they are kinda lezzie.

I really enjoyed the latest episode (number 6). Lion was awesome as were many of the other Friends, especially Chameleon. As you say, thoroughly delightful show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Strangely I have not been watching it after the first, which while cute felt a bit juvenile like I was watching something for kindergarten children to learn about animals. And actually there are a surprising number of shows I am not watching this time, like dropped ēlDLIVE out of frustration, I would not follow Spiritpact after the first episode, I am pretending Yowamushi Pedal has nothing else out since I am so done after the previous season, I am not feeling Onihei so I have not even watched anything. Although at the same time I am having my patience pushed to my edge of patience with Idol Incidents, Seiren, Marginal #4, and BanG Dream.

Maybe something is different about me this time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
You may be going through a bout of anime burnout, DP. I'm going through the opposite. I am currently watching 32 titles (4 of which are shorts, mind you) and when I finish the last few eppies of Blue Exorcist, I'll be adding a 33rd: Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc.

I'm curious - what frustrated you about elDLIVE to the point you had to drop it? I'm quite enjoying it. Also, I strongly recommend you watch at least the first episode of Onihei before deciding it's not for you and try the second episode of Kemono Friends. If you follow my advice, it is possible you'd end up thanking me - and you KNOW how much you love thanking me. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious - what frustrated you about elDLIVE to the point you had to drop it? I'm quite enjoying it.

"Her smell?!" *perverted imagination*
That was the start of the last straw, that the show brought up that the aliens use something along the lines of a pheromone or something, that can be picked up as a smell by other aliens, but also a weapon. And then the bullshit of a main character creepy about it, like I had been giving the female a hard time for falsely accusing the male character of being a pervert, and upon hearing that she is also naked in a tube that he then has to yell about that and try and look. It would be find if he was a pervert or something, but it is how the show has to try and pretend that he is not. Like how is it even a big deal that the powers are technically smells? He cannot smell it so why is he thinking about it in that way? Plus the aliens look all doofy, and not in a fun Space Dandy way.

I will think about watching ONIHEI, I kind of missed it first week, but if you are giving the recommendation I might pick it up. But also, that picture in the episode review area of a creepy old topless guy, is kind of freaking me out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Don't worry the sex scene with the creepy old topless guy only goes for about five minutes or so...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
IBeaver and Prairie Dog are sharing a LAKESHORE mountain forest habitat and I assume they are doing that because they are kinda lezzie.

Yeah, ok, but what was Prairie Dog doing up there in the first place? She didn't go there to be with Beaver, the only excuse was that she liked to be able to look out from high places. They're called prairie dogs for a reason. This sort of chaos is what happens when climatic and park barriers break down, I tells ya! But I'm glad they found each other. I loved all the smaller and smaller models of the cabin Beaver kept making. I really identify with such indecision.

And Chameleon was awesome (how'd she make the ball disappear too? Shocked). Not sure why Siberian Moose had palmate antlers when they explicitly said Siberian moose don't have palmate antlers. If they wanted her to have flashy moose antlers, why not just make her Canadian?

Looks like the human might be out of the bag next week, thanks to Shoebill. ~ ~stare~ ~

I've actually been keeping up with Spiritpact. Apparently I only made it through the first four episodes when it was in Chinese. It's gotten much better and is somewhat more coherent than Bloodivores, though neither is saying a lot. Family intrigue! Past life issues! Dashing demons! Supernatural shenanigans! Same-sex stuff (sort of - a kiss is required before the dead guy can interact with normal people and things in the living world)! I do like the OP song.

I too bailed on elDlive because it seems like it should be called elDrive, and primarily because I couldn't get past everyone looking like Psycho-Pass refugees.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've actually been keeping up with Spiritpact. Apparently I only made it through the first four episodes when it was in Chinese. It's gotten much better and is somewhat more coherent than Bloodivores, though neither is saying a lot. Family intrigue! Past life issues! Dashing demons! Supernatural shenanigans! Same-sex stuff (sort of - a kiss is required before the dead guy can interact with normal people and things in the living world)! I do like the OP song.

I watched all of the The Outcast and Bloodivores, the thought of starting this show after the first episode that I was well and trolley torturing myself and that I would not get anything out of watching it. In a way I don't regret watching the other two shows, they had some interesting parts, but alone figuring out that it was only two shows made all the more frustrated as it feels like that company has subjected me to more.

I think that I have got a bit burnt out, and I am watching fewer shows this time. Shows I dropped last season that still not watching include Nanbaka, Trickster, Monster Hunter, and Tiger Mask W, which I all dropped early last season. I am actually starting to not watch shows that I am pretty sure I won't like. And yet it still feels like I am trapped with more shows I think are not that good. I partially blame Scar-red Rider XechS.

Oddly, a really not good show I don't mind watching is School Girl Strikers. I know that it is not good or brings anything to the table, it blatantly abuses fanservice, and is really an even weaker version of shows like Ange Vierge, with not much interesting character given to the characters. But it is the sort of trash I can kind of just watch, plus I kind of really like the ED. The song is kind of catchy, and the animation uses purposely derpy character designs that remove the sexuality from the characters which then gives them charm, and it kind of parodies various retro games.

With some shows talked about highly, I might pick them up again. I like to think I watch most stuff, especially good, but I tend to almost every season let something slip through my fingers due to not watching it the first week or something. Like I hear good things about Jo Jo, I see it parodied in a lot of shows, and I think it would appeal to me, but I just did not watch it earlier and am out of the loop of it. Maybe the same as Gintama, I have heard that it is funny, but I see it on Crunchyroll with 376 episodes and I just think it is too much.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm watching School Girl Strikers too. You're right it's not a great show, but it does appeal to me for some reason. It has a particular type of goofy humour that works for me. I prefer it to Ange Vierge which I know you liked way more than I did.

Out of the dubious shows I'm watching this season, I should probably cut loose Hand Shakers, Seiren, BanG Dream! (if I have to hear Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star one more time...) and One Room (which is only a short, anyway). But right now I'm not hugely motivated to pull the trigger on any of those.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
So.....stayed up til 3:30, finishing Fate 2006 Laughing

This ending is.....wow where do I start?

I hated it but....at the same time, it was amazing and beautiful.

Frozen quote: Wait, what? Shocked

Lol kay, let's go a bit deeper then. I've ranted countless times how angry characters make me when they act really selfish and try to sugar-coat the acts as "true love", right?

Fate/Stay Night is not one of those shows so that doesn't give me many options other than praising it. Anime cry

Did stuff happen before the last five episodes? I can't remember it. (Joking; I'll touch on it)

Episodes 20 and 24 were by far the best of the second half of the show, if not THE best episodes in the whole run aside from Archer's battle.
Let's start with 20....

spoiler[Shirou has understood that he's in love with her (and this idiot made me go "aww" out loud probably because every time I hear those little words "suki da" in a male voice, I melt away. Damn you, shoujo manga. Anime hyper
Anyway, obviously he wants her to stay. And we as the audience also want her to stay because if you don't care about Saber at this point, you are dead to me. So he decides to take her on a date like they are just a normal boy and girl (cue Rin's undying laughter which is contagious and a great scene.) Throw in some adorably awkward moments of the two of them dating, complete with the mandatory "Hey this stuffed animal is SO you" gift shop trip, and you're 100% sold on this ship before the commercial break if you were not before.]

Except.....
Except....
spoiler[We are shown in agonzing detail why this could only be a fantasy between them. Saber is on an entirely different page here. She does not understand what this life of carefree activity is like. When he tries to grab her hand, she obliviously pulls away. She doesn't grasp the ideas of changing clothes to look nice or what the purpose of spending time with Shirou outside of war-related activities. She's still not in the same time frame as everyone else and all she knows how to do is fight. The episode illustrates something to be more obvious than ever before:
Saber does not belong in this world where she can obtain the happiness of an ordinary girl and she never will. They end up getting in a fight with Shirou running away to have a man-tantrum in his room (though his feelings are totally justified imho) after telling her to do as she pleases. Only to return a couple hours later to find her in the exact same spot as she admits,
"I don't know where I should go or what I should do."
THIS. IS. PAINFUL. It is literally physically painful to witness; it's like your heart is being squeezed with a wrench. Then they twist the wrench by showing us that Shirou DID secretly buy the stuffed lion for Saber BECAUSE OF COURSE HE DID.
WHY CAN'T THEY BE HAPPY? Why can't Saber be happy! We already know why! And it SUCKS!]

spoiler[Then Gilgamesh shows up and he wants Saber. Shirou also wants Saber. I sense a conflict brewing here.......just a hunch, really. This fight almost leads to both of their deaths, yet it allows Saber to witness how Shirou has always always been her shield. Literally. Oh so THIS is why he can get killed over and over without dying? All thanks to Kiritsugu. Okay, I can buy this. This really turns things around in their relationship; Saber can't ignore her feelings for him now and she knows it; even though she's a bit embarassed about it. (KYOOT) We are treated to a great scene of her attempting to cook, raising the knife over her head like her Excalibur. (YEAH, U PUT AN END TO THOSE VEGETABLES' MISERABLE LIVES) Laughing Which leads to cuddling as Shirou shows her how to properly peel things. He ends up confessing that he wants her to stay but she is still fixated on her role as Arthuria. Expectedly, this would end with a kissing scene that we ANNOYINGLY only get to see from one side instead of the actual lock of lips; OMG DEEN, YOU HAD ONE JOB. ]
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
This is starting to get lengthy which happens when I care about things....so let me continue in a second post. Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
spoiler[So he decides to take her on a date like they are just a normal boy and girl (cue Rin's undying laughter which is contagious and a great scene)]

Yeah, I really like that scene. spoiler[Shirou just suddenly says "I'm going to take Saber on a date" with a serious face and then turns to Rin like "What?" and Rin just bursts into laughter. Laughing] It's funny.

If you really liked Fate/Stay Night then I'd highly recommend Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works (preferably the TV series, not the movie).

I, myself, am only watching the 4 shows that I'm following weekly right now. Space Brothers is on hold for now. I've watched 33 episodes. I think I'll go back and watch it more when I feel like it, but the pacing feels painfully slow. I've yet to finish the 2nd season of My Wife is the Student Council President. I got 3 episodes left, but that show just isn't fun. I think I'll watch the remaining episodes some day. I barely find interest to keep up with Rewrite so finding the interest to watch even 1 of those 10 minute episodes is tough.

I haven't really watched all that much anime for a month or so outside of the 4 shows that I'm watching weekly. I've been playing a ton of singleplayer video games lately that I haven't really bothered to binge watch any anime. Recently started replaying Witcher 3 with the DLCs and that game is such a massive timesink that I probably won't be picking up any new anime for a week or two. Even the manga I was reading -Eden: It's an Endless World- is on hold for now. Just all these story focused games that I've (re)played recently have sucked away my desire to consume any other stories.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I get the feeling that Chiibi is going to watch those two anime now.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I, myself, am only watching the 4 shows that I'm following weekly right now. Space Brothers is on hold for now. I've watched 33 episodes. I think I'll go back and watch it more when I feel like it, but the pacing feels painfully slow.

I did pretty much the same and ended up dropping it after a few more episodes. The pacing was just wayyyyy too slow. The material that's there is good enough, but it felt like every episode had a 5 minutes recap.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I did pretty much the same and ended up dropping it after a few more episodes. The pacing was just wayyyyy too slow. The material that's there is good enough, but it felt like every episode had a 5 minutes recap.

Yeah, there was some exam thing where they were locked in a sealed room and that took like 8 episodes. It's a good show underneath, but it gets tiring to have to sit through multiple episodes to get any meaningful plot development.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

If you really liked Fate/Stay Night then I'd highly recommend Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works (preferably the TV series, not the movie).

I'm tackling the whole franchise so yep, those are next. :3 I'm thinking about playing the game too....especially since there is a cleaner version. Anime hyper

Episodes 22-end+final thoughts

spoiler[So, realizing that Saber will be more powerful with her shield, Shirou gives it back to her. (I'm betting a thousand million this led to another H scene in the visual novel version) He will take the risk of turning totally vulnerable again. And THIS is where the infamous meme "People die when they are killed." comes from. Anime hyper Except with this being Geneon who may have themselves thought that was too stupid to type out in subs, changed it to "People die when they are badly injured."]
BUT WE KNOW WHAT HE SAID, DON'T WE? Laughing
They should have put it as "mortally injured", imho.

spoiler[Jokes aside, it's actually not a stupid line in this context. I totally understand why he chose to word it that way. Because he was relying on insta-healing too much. Shirou believes that if he dies again, he should stay dead because that is the natural order of things. This ties in with the themes of the series; don't rely on miracles; don't try to make yourself into something you are not. It's even the final lyric of the first opening.

However, SHIROU ONCE AGAIN PROVES TO BE AN IDIOT because he goes out ALONE. AGAIN. TO SOMEWHERE.
Excuse me, I need to bash this child's head into a wall.
Oh wait, no, I don't.
KIREI KOTOMINE will do that for us.]

spoiler[Because he's the asshat behind this whole shindig. Because Kiritsugu pissed him off....or something. Idk. He is a weak villain. Tbh, the Grail plot in the final arc feels a bit rushed. Of course Saber rushes off to save her foolish but good-hearted dumbass in distress; it's revealed rather horrifically that Gilgamesh has been feasting on the souls of dismembered corpses under the church. Ew. And Lancer's here too. Lovely. Kirei tries to tempt our battle couple into taking the Grail. And this.....well....I think Shirou changes Saber's mind a little TOO quickly....because she really really wanted it for the sake of her kingdom. But in the end his words must have gotten through to her. When they both reject it, Kirei gets mad and orders his servants to kill them. Lancer is disgusted (which amused me) and prefers to fight Gilgamesh so they run away safely.]

Ah, that's right; Shirou's stupidity is actually somewhat explained.
spoiler[ Because he only chose to save himself ten years ago, he feels incredibly guilty for not helping others who were dying when they were killed. (you know I was gonna do it Laughing) Dude, you're six. Give yourself a break; what can a six-year-old do to save an entire city from burning? So he got obsessed with putting everyone's lives before his own as he grew older. All right.
Except....
IF YOU KEEP RUNNING TO DEATH WITH OPEN ARMS, WHO DO YOU EXPECT TO SAVE, SON?
Oy vey.....Rolling Eyes]

And the Holy Grail.....
spoiler[Should really be named "Satanic Grail" because it's bad. This probably wasn't unexpected by many many people who knew the Fate-verse before me. An ancient relic that grants ANY wish at all?
So..........it's gonna eat my soul, right? :/
Well, no. But it grants the wish in the most destructive way possible. Which......leaves me with some amusing thoughts. How do you make a really dumb, frivolous wish destructive? Does anyone remember what Oolong wished for in Dragon Ball? Laughing
We don't have time to ponder this though; because the show gives a pretty convincing scene that Rin has been murdered by Kirei. Seriously, it's got ALL the death flags for her; first a brief scene of her blood on the floor and breathing heavily. When they find her, she talks exactly like she's on her deathbed. Every dying character conversation you've ever heard, is heard here and yet, she does not die.]

Weird. I guess they just wanted to scare us?

spoiler[So since Kirei has nothing better to do with his life than make people cry and die, he has kidnapped Illoli because the grail wants a human sacrifice because that is how evil relics roll. SxS decide that thing's gotta die for good so they go to put an end to this. Along the way to the battlefield, Shirou is having major inner conflicts over his own feelings, Saber's feelings, and what the right path is. Because you see, if Shirou commands Saber to drink from the grail, she can obtain a second life in his world instead of vanishing back to her own timeline to die for her people. She could remain at his side forever. Keeping this thought to himself, they both defeat Kirei and Gilgamesh through a pretty kick-ass fight scene even though their enemies are OP as crap.]

Now the two are alone with the Grail. And then Shirou has one of the best inner monologues I've ever seen related to a situation like this. I mean wow.

spoiler[ I love her. I don't want to lose her. I just want her to stay with me.
But.
But.
If I truly loved her........that would be wrong. The fighting Saber is the Saber I fell in love with.

Good.....lord.......I just got a lump in my throat from typing that and it's got nothing to do with my cold. SON, YOU GET AN A+ IN LOVE.
This......THIS.....THIS IS WHAT LOVE IS. RIGHT HERE.]

Throughout the show, Saber is described as having a likeness to a lion. She's fierce, proud, and majestic. Not to mention that lions are associated with royalty; being "king of beasts". But her relationship with Shirou also quite reminds me of the tale of the celestial maiden and the fisherman. spoiler[Both women are not of this world and the men who want them have the power to make them their wives. The fisherman has the maiden's robe to prevent her from returning to the heavens and Shirou has the Grail. The man makes the selfish choice of forcing the maiden to stay with him, her own feelings be damned.
But Shirou?
Nope.
It is precisely because Shirou loves Saber that he lets her go back to where she feels she belongs.]

.......wah.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! ;__________;

That sucks!!! But it's beautiful!!! But it sucks!!! But it's AMAZING!! BUT IT.....yeah, you get it, right?

Like, I didn't think a story could do that to me. spoiler[The immature shipper in me wanted a different ending and she's fighting with the more mature shipper in me who is screaming "But it's GOTTA be this way, don't you see!? It's so deep! It's so special! It's the exact kind of unselfish love you've always always admired....anything other option would have destroyed that."

".......honestly, yes. It is beautiful and noble and all that wonderful stuff....the tragedy just empathizes the beauty....just like in Air."

"But......I'm still so sad. They belong together....their souls belong together even if their timelines and ways of life conflict too much. If only it were different......if only.....they could be free of such a constricting boundary....I was even half-hoping they could die together so she wouldn't die alone, at least.....but it didn't happen."]

Oh.....?

Not so fast.

Spoiler for VN True Ending

spoiler[ Human life is fleeting. But Avalon is eternity. That makes it all the more rewarding.
Tadaima, Saber.
Okaeri, Shirou.
]

I................I....... NEED THE DAMN KLEENEX AGAIN.

Holy.....Anime cry (not grail).....but what else is left to say?

Overall, I enjoyed the series a good deal more than naysayers would have led me to believe. I understand Sentai re-released it on bluray....well, it is something I could totally watch again and I wouldn't mind owning it. And that OST. Even the ED which was sometimes boring really grew on me; and the meaning of the lyrics grows stronger after the ending of the story has been revealed to you. I've complained about Shirou being dumb but I really appreciated his development. And damn, Saber....no wonder why she's so popular. She's such a powerful character in so many ways possible. And an unforgettable one. Most of the cast ranged from awesome to at least inoffensive.

I consider Fate 2006 a warm welcome into the Nasu-verse. I think I'm gonna stay a little while~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 962 of 1061