• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
So.. Saber is the best girl? Saber IS the best girl.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So.. Saber is the best girl? Saber IS the best girl.

Beyond a doubt. Anime hyper Her story had such an emotional impact on me. I do believe I'd like another figure of her from the next con I attend; I don't actually have one of her trademark blue dress.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
I do believe I'd like another figure of her from the next con I attend; I don't actually have one of her trademark blue dress.

Wait until you see her in her black pantsuit astride a motorcycle. Cool

Saber is not the "best girl" She is rather an icon of perfection. Beautiful, sexy, strong and extremely single minded. She wants to go back in time to fix something that happened and has been coped with before recorded history. She is not a "girl" in the sense of someone you could have a relationship with. Strictly speaking she is not human, she is the embodiment of lingering regret. Even if she had stayed voluntarily for Shiro's sake everyone would have been miserable. Forcing her to stay doesn't even warrant thinking of.

Rin on the other hand is human. She is someone you could actually live with, though it wouldn't be easy. By the way, I haven't seen the game, but from prior discussions I got the impression that in the censored sex scene that Rin was an active participant. Shocked I'm rather curious if the game features actual animation or simply static images with moaning and squealing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Shirou managed to show Saber a glimpse of a life Saber maybe could have had. She never had time for romance or love so she was never aware of them. Saber was still a woman and a person under all that armour and Shirou made her realize that. But a relationship between Shirou and Saber was never possible. It was a dream, a fantasy but it could never be reality. That's part of the reason why it's so engaging.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

spoiler[So, realizing that Saber will be more powerful with her shield, Shirou gives it back to her. (I'm betting a thousand million this led to another H scene in the visual novel version) ]

Actually not!
There is an unrelated scene however where spoiler[Saber gives Shirou a BJ for no real appropriate reason, while saying she 'knows how to please a man', which just leads to all sorts of questions about our beloved King Arthur. Thank you, Nasu.] Laughing

Alan45 wrote:
Rin on the other hand is human. She is someone you could actually live with, though it wouldn't be easy. By the way, I haven't seen the game, but from prior discussions I got the impression that in the censored sex scene that Rin was an active participant. Shocked I'm rather curious if the game features actual animation or simply static images with moaning and squealing.

Rin isn't more of an active participant compared to the other girls when it comes to H-scenes. She's the only one who complains about Shirou's... er... 'eagerness' after they're done, and there's only the one H-scene in UBW, compared to two in Fate, and several in Heaven's Feel.

The game has static images. No moaning or squealing - at least not voiced ones - either, just text. The voiced version of the game is SFW and doesn't contain any H-scenes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Wait until you see her in her black pantsuit astride a motorcycle. Cool

Lol I've seen it; but I prefer figures of girls in their dresses or pretty outfits; not in super-tight clothing to service the male gaze. Rolling Eyes

Male figures on the other hand......

Quote:
She is not a "girl" in the sense of someone you could have a relationship with. Strictly speaking she is not human, she is the embodiment of lingering regret.

"embodiment of lingering regret".
Nice, I like that.
That's the very thing that makes her so tragic; that is her flaw as a character....and why she is so memorable to me.

Cam0 wrote:
But a relationship between Shirou and Saber was never possible.

spoiler[Instead of til death do us part, it's where we reunite]
Pretty backwards from the usual way....but blissfully gorgeous Anime cry I love it.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Current Schedule:

I'm going to post my recap on the first episode of Code Geass tomorrow. I already posted my recap of Ouran's fifth episode. (Please comment! I put a lot of effort into it.)

Sunday, I head to Disneyland with the family! That's all. Maybe I'll watch Blue Exorcist in the meantime...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
As promised, I've started Unlimited Blade Works

Nice animation! (=w=)b <---that's a face with a thumbs up lol

Points that are very important to me

*Rin chucking her alarm clock across the room
*Archer stretched out on the couch with this smirk like he has owned the house all along
*These two with their banter
*That gorgeous opening
*Lancer seems like way less of a jerk. In fact I like him. (I liked him in the previous version too)
*Kiritsugu and Shirou's scenes are really quite touching.
*And a wonderful script

"Since you made this mess, you can clean the living room!"
".......as you wish. And go to hell, Master."

Amazing. =D
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Persona 3 The Movie #4 Winter of Rebirth

I am not generally a fan on AOA's goal, but having put at least 1000 hours into the various flavors of Persona 3 I have been dutifully buying the movies, because I truly like it so much.

I have had this one for awhile, purchasing shortly after release, but just was not ready to subject myself to what I knew was coming. I am not sure this set of 4 movies would do for someone who had never played the games, but for someone as invested as I was, these movies, and especially the last, really hit it out of the park. Hence paying the asking price, and not feeling bad about it.

Wow, if you are a fan, do not deprive yourself. Good stuff.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Finished watched Ef:A Tale of Memories. To be fair it reminded me more of an Adam Sandler movie rather than a good anime in terms of writing: the plot was really cliche and predictable. Otherwise it was a well made 12 episode show and I liked its visuals with the exception of the character designs that scream "2007 otaku style".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, between the three Fate girls, there are three OBJECTIVE ways to look at the relationships they present.

Saber: Strong-willed, personification of perfection in beauty and bravery, perfect warrior woman, will protect YOU if YOU are in danger even at the cost of herself because martyrdom is what she thinks a king should do.

Rin: Badass, pretty tough Kung-Fu Wizard, will fight alongside you and try to protect you. If you work with her, it's more as an equal partner than as the Lelouch to her CC or the Kiritsugu to her Irisviel. May not immediately state her feelings until you make some hint of returning them. Will sometimes distance herself from you in order to protect you from yourself, kind of like what Mamoru did for Usagi when he had that weird foreboding dream in Sailor Moon R.

Sakura: Weak-willed, Yamato Nadeshiko (seemingly). Will cook for you and be a total waifu in hopes of you being the light of her dark, terrible life. TOTALLY dependent on you. REQUIRES you in order to get through the miserable existence that is her lonely life of solitude surrounded by maggots that feed off her vitality and an abusive family. This is the type of girl who will react rather than act unless it has something to do with the one she loves. She's the one who idolizes YOU and looks to you for protection. If you left and didn't return for decades, she would still be waiting for you. This is the sort of sad person that you would may sympathize with and enjoy the comfort of as she makes you breakfast, but if, say, a mage fight happened, she would be traumatized by the conflict and need protection rather than protecting you or fighting by your side.

To put it simply, Saber protects you, Rin fights alongside you as an equal, and Sakura depends on you. Plenty of real life relationships are like these, and I did generalize a lot of this (Shirou sure as hell protects Saber as well, and Sakura has some... stuff going on), but while Saber is the "Best" outcome for you, assuming you're Shirou, I feel like the most realistic one is Rin. She's vulnerable in a human way, but that never defines her.

Saber is just... too perfect. I don't mean that she's a Mary Sue. Hell no. Fate/Zero definitely shows why her obsession with chivalry is FAR from perfect and why being a martyr of a king doomed Great Britain under her rule. You need look no further than the story of Lancelot, in Type Moon and King Arthur's actual story, to see why her view of justice is too idealistic. Hell, I think that the reason Shirou and Saber are such a perfect couple in the main story is because Saber's goals stem from this feeling of guilt, same with Shirou's own aspirations to be a hero. And, when you think about it, little Kiritsugu just said "I want to be a hero" as an offhanded comment, but it might not have been until he spoiler[murdered his father] that Kiritsugu realized his dreams had a true place in the world. This cycle of "I survived when I shouldn't have so I should become a hero to make up for it" may have begun with Kiritsugu, for Shirou anyway, but in truth, Saber embodies Shirou's own complexes better than anyone... besides Archer.

I think Shirou attached to Saber because he thought "Hey! Why are you acting so similarly to me!? Let me be the martyr!" Well, that and when he first summoned Saber, he genuinely thought she was a stunningly beautiful woman.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean Saber is perf-OH.

I think I get it.

You mean "She's so perfect in the way that you'd feel inferior to her as a man"?

Laughing

Right? RIGHT? Am I right?

(And don't you have a summary to write, MISTER.) Twisted Evil
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
What do you mean Saber is perf-OH.

I think I get it.

You mean "She's so perfect in the way that you'd feel inferior to her as a man"?

Laughing

Right? RIGHT? Am I right?

(And don't you have a summary to write, MISTER.) Twisted Evil

Summary? What are you talking about...? >_> I certainly don't have a 3 page long Microsoft Word file opened typing about Full Moon if that's what you think.

And no, I'm not saying that necessarily about Saber. I'm saying that Saber is the sort of perfect that RARELY exists in real life. She's a Belledandy type character, except she's a warrior woman.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I couldn't finish Oh My Goddess partly because Belldandy was so uninteresting (along with the main character). Saber opens up during the course of Fate/stay night. At first she is firmly no-nonsense, not really caring when Shirou accidentally sees her naked. Later in the show she gets embarrassed when the same thing happens. Also she takes a liking to a stuffed lion. BOOM. She won me over. Best girl.

I really like Rin too though. She is sharp and witty.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also she takes a liking to a stuffed lion. BOOM

That scene was so adorable.

As usual, I agree with Cam0

I know Saber's personality by the end of F/SN.

I still can't describe who Belldandy even is; she is just............"goodness" in the blandest way. She's sweet and noble and generous and wise....and she knows how to do EVERYTHING.

Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 963 of 1061