• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the Pain Arc of Naruto Shippuden. Using my trusty filler guide to skip unnecessary episodes, it was actually an alright arc. I mean, none of the better, supporting characters got much needed limelight like Shikamaru during the Hidan and Kakuzu arc, but still, I liked Pain/Nagato. Good villain by Naruto standards. His flashback felt sad without feeling too edgy and juvenile. It felt like a real child who had been surviving a war. Honestly, if the animation wasn't hilarious during the fight with Pain, it might be one of the better arcs of Shippuden.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, those derpy faces were definitely ridiculous. The major arc that comes next is one of my favourites in Shippuuden. So many awesome battles to come.

And I still haven't watched the final battle to completion. I'm a bit annoyed how the final conflict turned out to be. It just could have been so much more simple, instead it's stupidly overwritten.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Anyway, what anime have you been watching lately?

All the usual stuff airing this season. I have to say, I'm really enjoying the hell out of SpiritPact. It's completely unpredictable (because no one behaves rationally and no plot twist is foreshadowed at all) and easy on the eyes (if terrible animation doesn't make you go blind). I usually get several good laughs an episode, and Ki randomly spitting up blood to punctuate his sentences hasn't gotten old yet. It's like watching those old dime-budget sword & sorcery chop-socky drive-in movies from the 70s, with more sorcery and less socky. This would be so fun to MST3K with someone. Smile

Also still watching Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku. That's pretty decent, although they keep shifting storylines abruptly and time skipping, which makes it harder to follow. I was surprised that the MC turned out to be such a bastard though. I'm still not clear if the series intends for the viewers to see him that way, or if they just did a bad job of convincing me that his goals are righteous.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

All the usual stuff airing this season. I have to say, I'm really enjoying the hell out of SpiritPact. It's completely unpredictable (because no one behaves rationally and no plot twist is foreshadowed at all) and easy on the eyes (if terrible animation doesn't make you go blind). I usually get several good laughs an episode, and Ki randomly spitting up blood to punctuate his sentences hasn't gotten old yet. It's like watching those old dime-budget sword & sorcery chop-socky drive-in movies from the 70s, with more sorcery and less socky. This would be so fun to MST3K with someone. Smile

China may be well regarded for it's beautiful architecture, cuisine, and traditional culture, but it sure as hell isn't famous for having quality animated entertainment. Case in point: Rock Dog is an import from there.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago Chinese animation essentially did not exist. Now they make already several times more stuff than any Western country. I guess that in 6-7 years there will be lots of Chinese stuff watched by anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Just watched Squid Girl's first season in English. This is one of those dubs where, while I like it, I can ABSOLUTELY see how someone else would find it to be unwatchably annoying. I know some people who like the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, which really confused me, but now I think I understand their POV. The puns in Squid Girl are godawful to translate the constant "Geso" sounds that Squid Girl/Ika Musume ends her sentences in for the original dub. I think it's hilarious, though the lack of a dub for season 2 tells me that not many people agree with my stance.

Also, Sanae is best girl. She deserves all the episodes possible. Her stalker tendencies toward Squid Girl are always endearing and hilarious to me, while being JUST creepy enough that I can understand why Squid Girl isn't thrilled to be around her. It kind of reminds me of Lola's portrayal in the Looney Tunes show. It's also nice to have a comedic lesbian in an anime that's not obsessed with physically molesting the object of their affections (how often do you see a lesbian character whose whole shtick is just groping their ship bait's breasts whenever they're within range?), but instead, she actually likes Squid Girl because she's adorable, and shows it by glomping her, taking pictures of her, and VERY insistently having her try on cosplays (but never in a Yandere, threatening sort of way). Totally adorable and the best episodes are usually about her anyway.

Not... much else to say honestly. I wish they'd dubbed the rest of the show (which I have seen in Japanese anyway, but still...). It's certainly not a "must-see" comedy anime. Hell, the most similar anime to it is Sgt. Frog and I'd say that that show is miles above this one, even if we're comparing the two Japanese versions. Though even though I thought both shows were funny, the dubs of each one seemed to be cut short. I wonder why.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Having watched 15 episodes of My Love Story, I feel like I like this show more as it goes on. I've come to really like most of the characters. Suna doesn't show it often, but he really cares about his family and friends. I've come to really enjoy his friendship with Takeo. I hope he gets a girlfriend too. Yamato is ok. She's kinda neutral. Just too pure, innocent and cute to dislike but she's not particularly interesting either.

Suna's big sis is one of my favourite characters. spoiler[She is a bit tragic, her crush is a bit silly and she knows it, but can't really help it. This might make it seem like I'm the the evil incarnate but I actually wish Suna's big sis was the one to hook up with Takeo. Instead she gets that slimeball Hayato to fawn over her who is the only person in the show that I don't like. I know he is just trying to help but I can't help but think that the only reason he tried to force Suna's big sis to confess was so that he could get her instead. His "I know what's best for you" attitude just ticks me off. ]

Episode 15 introduced a new character spoiler[and just makes me wanna ship this new girl with Takeo. She's got big boo-, I mean she's really nice and already I feel like she has good chemistry with Takeo. She handled herself very well when she found out that Takeo has a girlfriend.]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Writing up my recap of Ouran Episode Seven, wherein I gush over my OTP of HoneyMori. If I don't get it done today, then tomorrow for sure!

Additional good news- I just need to do a deep cleaning at the dentist next week.

Maybe I'll marathon Blue Exorcist this month. Hopefully, it'll still be on Netflix long enough for me to watch it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Just got back from Ordinal Scale and it was amaaaaazing~

It delivers everything a SAO fan would hope for....maybe even a non-SAO fan would enjoy it.....

spoiler[
Fanservice? No, there's really not much at all. I especially don't think female viewers could get offended this time.

Characters? Pretty much everyone gets a piece of the action. I MEAN EVERYONE. Mother Rosario fans even get a sweet little surprise in the climax.

Plot? I personally liked it a lot. You actually do feel bad for the antagonists in this story....and you kind of like them even before you learn the cause of their actions.

Battle scenes? They are epic....not much else to say. The finale one is so fantastic; it gives you that hot-blooded, pumped up feeling.

Asuna fans will love this; there is so much of her.....in fact, I think she gets to fight even more than Kirito does in this movie. Shocking. Razz ]

If you liked the Aincrad arc but hated the Alfheim one, I think you would still enjoy this. If you liked everything SAO-related up to now, you will absolutely enjoy this.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Still writing up my recap on Ouran's seventh episode. I also have to catch up on my recordings of Jojo's. I think it's safe to say that I like Joseph Joestar even more than I liked his grandfather. Part of it may be Ben Diskin (this is one of his best performances, sounding like an older Nigel Uno), but another is a mixture of cockiness and cleverness. Also, I was surprised by how much of a bad*ss Lisa Lisa is. She doesn't take sh*t from anyone, and I admire that.

Hey, Chiibi, why DO you like Kirito, anyway? Is it because he's nice? Or because he's a gamer? Or is it because he's nice? No, really, I'm being sincere here. I don't understand why him of all people, when Lego Batman could be your hasubando. (Yes, I did take all your arguments into consideration, and I highly suggest you add Lego Batman to your harem because come on, you need one incarnation of Batman, why not the Lego one?)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Hey, Chiibi, why DO you like Kirito, anyway? Is it because he's nice? Or because he's a gamer? Or is it because he's nice?

I dunno.....I just love everything about him. Anime hyper I think I like his fragile side the most but I also love how he's a total nerd, how quickly he figures things out, how he obsesses over silly things, his voice, his badass black coat, his cute little face, his snark (you don't get his snark much in the show but you get it in the novels and he is hilarious.)

Quote:
you need one incarnation of Batman, why not the Lego one?)

I loved Lego Batman's voice and personality.....but he is a LEGO after all so if I was to add to my harem, I'd choose the one from Batman Beyond. Remember that thing? Razz
(I should rewatch that to see if it holds up)
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
@ Chiibi

So...because he's typical man-moe. Okay. I guess he has an appealing character design and he's kind of cute in a non-threatening way. I still prefer Klein, and am forever baffled over why he didn't get a spin-off. I want to know what his story was like, dammit!

(And yeah, I'm gonna buy Lego Batman Movie as soon as it hits ITunes because it's so funny and if you're not a BatJokes shipper by the beginning, you'll be on board by the time the film ends. SERIOUSLY, THIS MOVIE GOT ME TO SHIP BATJOKES.)
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@ Chiibi

So...because he's typical man-moe. Okay. I guess he has an appealing character design and he's kind of cute in a non-threatening way. I still prefer Klein, and am forever baffled over why he didn't get a spin-off. I want to know what his story was like, dammit!

(And yeah, I'm gonna buy Lego Batman Movie as soon as it hits ITunes because it's so funny and if you're not a BatJokes shipper by the beginning, you'll be on board by the time the film ends. SERIOUSLY, THIS MOVIE GOT ME TO SHIP BATJOKES.)

Speaking of Klein, I loved the part near the start of SAO II where he kills a monster excitedly and Lisbeth sarcastically remarks, "Wow... He's even more macho than usual today."
To quote AniSins, "I love how whenever Klein does anything cool, it's annoying, but if Kirito coughs, everyone acts like he cured AIDS."
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Lisbeth just loves to pick on Klein...which just adds shipper fuel for me. Anime hyper He needs to stop looking for the perfect woman and notice her. :p

Klein gets a lot of screentime in the movie too.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Some anime I finished recently.

Angel Densetsu - I remember hearing about Angel Densetsu a while back and I never got the chance to watch it. Since it's only two episodes, I thought it was not bad. I dig the concept of kind and naive boy with the heart of an angel, but the sinister looks of a devil. This anime has a lot of great funny moments and I found myself laughing hard pretty hard at times. Seiichirou Kitano is a nice main character and seeing other people's reactions around him is very funny to see. The animation is decent, but it could have look a bit better at times.

I do wish it was longer since I feel like they could have done more with the story. Not to mention the other cast of characters are pretty forgettable. Overall, Angel Densetsu is a nice short anime. This anime was surprisingly funny, but it could have been better. Rating: 7/10

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor - I finally watch this anime from start to finish for the first time and I love it. Everything about this anime was awesome. Great characters, good animation, great writing and great music.

I love the suspense that this anime had because it kept me at the edge of my seat for every episode after episode 2. Each episode really wanted to see what happen next and see what would happen to the characters. Kaiji is a great main character and I felt really attach to him for every thing that he went through. The supporting cast and the villains are really great too. Yukio Tonegawa is a fun character and Kazuya Hyodo is really dark & sick. I love these types of villains.

The show can be pretty deep at times too with its social commentary on the rich screwing over the poor, the inner greed of humans and human survival instincts. Not to mention the show got pretty violent later on and I surprise by the ending too

The animation is great too and still looks good even a decade later. The art style is a unique art style and I like it a lot. The artist of the series has his own style and he is able to pull it off very well. The music is awesome too and I love the intro theme song.

Overall, Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor was fantastic and I love every moment of it. I admit that the first two episodes had a slow start, but everything else about it is great. I feel bad that I didn't watch this anime until a decade later. I was 16 in 2007 when this show aired and I wish I saw it when it came out (I probably would have like it).

If you're a fan of darker anime with almost no humor like Monster, I highly recommended this anime. I will put this on my Top 10 favorite anime and I can't wait to watch Season Two soon. Rating: 9/10

I plan to finish up Ajin: Season Two and later I'll marathon the Bubblegum Crisis series this month for the 30th anniversary. I still plan to watch the rest of Record of Lodoss War and Noragami Aragoto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 967 of 1061