• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
DANG! Your Name. gets released in theaters the same days as Tekko! And I don't think my roommate would be willing to miss part of the con to see it! DAAAAAANG! I guess I'll have to wait until the blu-rays come out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wrapping up UBW Season 1

spoiler[OMG. CASTER U HOR.

U MADE SABER CRY.

ANYONE WHO MAKES SABER CRY DESERVES DEATH. Twisted Evil

I like how Shirou's new abilities caused him a lot of physical pain and numbness because it deals with his nerve endings. Pretty realistic, there. Still not feeling RinxShirou tho. They have a lot more interaction....but very few moments to make me go "Aw, cute". It's like....I dunno. The chemistry is off....or something.

Fuji-nee annoys me. >_> I hate how she orders Shirou around like she owns him, I hate how she ended up being a damsel in distress, I hate her hyperactive, immature personality. If she ordered ME to make her dinner every night, I'd just be like "Ha, f*ck you, bitch." Why does Shirou give in to her so much? It's not like he has to!

Anyway.....

I really like how Archer is just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to everything Rin says. Anime hyper I really want to know his identity; they love teasing you with that, don't they.]

The climax to this first half IS AWESOME. Bringing back "This Illusion" was a really nice touch. Also screw the original; I WANT LiSA's version!! Nobody can sing as passionately as this woman. She is so amazing. I'm glad Ordinal Scale's screening finally showed what she is like in person. Dammit, I really want her autograph.

louis6578 wrote:
DANG! Your Name. gets released in theaters the same days as Tekko! And I don't think my roommate would be willing to miss part of the con to see it! DAAAAAANG! I guess I'll have to wait until the blu-rays come out.

Haha....you DO realize that Tekko will with 100% certainty be screening the movie in one of the theater rooms, don't you? Anime hyper

U SO SILLY. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It's a more normal relationship. By the end, they're going to college together and Rin is getting jealous when Luvia hits on Shirou. Hell, it's kind of ambiguous as to how far their relationship goes. They don't kiss on screen and Shirou's love confession is less "I love you!" dramatically and epically and more "Of course I'll help you. I've always admired you after all." not even realizing that he's making such a huge step. Saber and Sakura are the ones that require all the ship-bait in order for their plots to work, but really, RinxShirou here only needs the IDEA of that romance to be planted in your head by the end.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh good! I like that. Sounds like the best approach....
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Its like getting with a classmate who you've known for years and just found out has a lot of cool family lore and that she's a hard-working mage. She's not an amazing catch like Saber, so you might not move to the conclusion of love as quickly, but she is someone you relate to and enjoy the company of. Why rush things?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
So I finished off Spiritpact today, I think - kinda short at 10 episodes, and they clearly want another season really, really bad, but it also had a Thanks for Watching! tag, so I guess that's it for now. Despite the last minute teasers, it ended pretty well. Yep, I'd watch another season of it. Shocked

You went through so many transformations and possessions I had trouble following who he was supposed to be. Was he still You when in his bad-ass Man in Black persona, or was that his ancestor? I'm not even sure why the other person possessing him was doing that - did he hate You or Ki? The past life stuff was just too poorly integrated into the present to make any sense of it. And why did Ki leave an iPod and ear buds on somebody's (his mother's?) grave? No tunes in the afterlife? Laughing

But none of that even matters. These last few episodes were like watching little kids fight in a mud pit. One slips and falls and seems down for the count, another one crawls over to take advantage but slips and falls on him, and a third one piles on, only to have the first one squirm out from under and resume throwing mud everywhere, don't rinse, do repeat, several times until everyone is too tired to move. Good times.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking of picking up Scum's Wish after I've watched My Love Story. I've been following the discussion on Scum's Wish a bit here and it seems pretty interesting. It's spawning interesting discussion at least. The art style gave me the impression that it was josei, but apparently it's seinen. Believing it was josei was the main thing holding me back, but since it isn't that I'm much more interested in it.

Chiibi wrote:
spoiler[Still not feeling RinxShirou tho. They have a lot more interaction....but very few moments to make me go "Aw, cute". It's like....I dunno. The chemistry is off....or something.]

There's a part where Lancer teases Rin a bit in the 2nd cour. It's great, cute and funny.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've been thinking of picking up Scum's Wish after I've watched My Love Story. I've been following the discussion on Scum's Wish a bit here and it seems pretty interesting.

Would you say you are sufficiently intrigued to purchase Amazon what's-it-called just for this series in particular? At this juncture, I believe we can all agree that it is quite a divisive piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
That thing where you have to pay for 2 subscriptions? I just went and activated my Prime free trial for the heck of it (I didn't even know the thing was available in Finland) and I seem to able to watch Scum's Wish. Prime is only 3 euros a month for the first 6 months which seems very reasonable. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Hmm... it seems that the Anime Strike thing is only in US? I think I get less shows though (Blue Exorcist 2nd season is missing for example). Scum's Wish and Great Passage are watchable though along with a handful of other anime. I dunno, paying for another subscription just to watch Scum's Wish.... I could just resort to... other means.... Twisted Evil
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely recommend Scum. It's a very captivating show.

That is sure to make you uncomfortable at times. It's not for the light-hearted though and it can be super depressing. Keep that in mind when you go in.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
That thing where you have to pay for 2 subscriptions? I just went and activated my Prime free trial for the heck of it (I didn't even know the thing was available in Finland) and I seem to able to watch Scum's Wish. Prime is only 3 euros a month for the first 6 months which seems very reasonable.

I believe that the same arrangement is in place over here, though I have no use for a Prime subscription given my habitual thrift. The more I read about Scum's Wish, the more comfortable I am in my decision not to subscribe—it seems to revolve around issues and themes that would most probably bewilder me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Right now, I am watching Kabaneri The Iron Fortress and Joker Game...

Can you suggest any other good watch? Very Happy
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
Naruto Shippuden is an amazing anime at its best. I had almost cried watching it a few times, and I honestly JUST watched from the Pain arc to episode 322 with a big smile. How did I cover so much ground? First off, if anyone is interested in watching ANY long-running anime based on a manga aside from a few standouts like Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, please do yourselves a favor and do what I always do. Search "-insert anime title here- Filler List/guide." You will not be disappointed. These things are accurate and have the courtesy to tell you when a filler episode has a few non-filler scenes. They really helped me through my watchthroughs of Fist of the North Star, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, and even Sailor Moon (though I felt kind of compelled to watch through the fillers of that one).

Anyway, without fillers, I'd be happy to grant Naruto and Shippuden an "Excellent" rating, but... with fillers and a dragged out story even in manga form... it gets dragged to Very Good, leaning on Good. I can't possibly cover all that I loved and hated here, but I guess here's a list of pros and cons...

Pros: Great dub (especially Killer Bee's rapping), Great Openings and Endings, Great soundtrack, the animation is usually great whenever the fight is one where a major character (hero or villain) dies, memorable villains and supporting cast, The Akatsuki is one of the best shounen villain groups in anime history, the plot twists are generally great, the lore is actually very interesting (any time they give a history lesson on previous Kages or events that shaped the foundation of the current Ninja world is a time where the show has my full attention), emotional moments typically resonate, and whenever the fights involve tactics instead of just huge summons and explosions, the tactics used by the heroes can typically impress the viewer instead of making them roll their eyes and say "Well, duh."

Cons: Length, fillers (if you're one of those completionists who insists on watching everything), Naruto's obsession with Sasuke becomes irritating as Sasuke becomes more and more unlikable, Sakura pretty much reverted to being her useless self aside from a few scenes, Sai doesn't do much, we don't quite get enough of the fan-favorite supporting cast (more Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Gaara, and Kakashi, less Naruto and Sasuke please), and if shounen anime are a turnoff for you, this one doesn't really break the mold in a meaningful way.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Off to watch Code Geass Episode Two! I'm actually looking forward to this. The first episode was crazy awesome. I wonder what sort of insanity awaits me today.

Meanwhile, I've decided to postpone my other two SAO essays "How to Build a Better Protagonist" and "Heroine Problem" indefinitely. I have come to despise both the fans and the haters of this series to the point where I want nothing to do with it right now. Both of them are awful and saying anything positive or negative in front of them only ends up making things worse. It's like shouting at a brick wall. You're just going to end up making yourself miserable. And this is why none of you can have nice things.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I've started watching Scum's Wish. I'm 5 episodes in. At first it was just good, but it's getting into very good territory now. The soundtrack is kind of minimalistic, but somehow extremely powerful. The music really helps create this really eerie and suspenseful atmosphere that gives me goose bumps. It's amazing. The characters are really interesting too. Everyone seems to be talking about Ecchan, but I don't think she is that bad. She's like a slave to her feelings, but I think underneath she is a nice person. Maybe she gets worse as the show goes on. I'm pretty sure Akane is the devil though.

P.S. For some stupid reason episode 5 wasn't available with English subtitles on Amazon Prime thing. What the fudge? I had to resort to other means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 968 of 1061