• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
IBO is still on my to-finish list. I kinda stalled out at episode 29, I think because I got overwhelmed with all the new characters and factions on top of all the changes since the end of the first season.

Yeah, I had similar issues at the start of 2nd season but those issues clear out as the show goes on unlike the 1st season where I think spent the whole show scratching my head over the various factions.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I see what you mean about sheathing the sword to draw it, but is that sillier than sheathing the sword as a move? Very Happy I don't recall him doing it in the anime, but in the manga spoiler[he reverse battou-jutsued so hard it created a sonic boom that paralyzed his opponent. Laughing]

lol. But he could create a vacuum or something with his sword technique when fighting Shishio so I guess that's... reasonable.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I spent the early part of daytime watching Sprite: Between Two Worlds, a two-part late-1990's OVA. It wasn't until I got deeper in the first part of the OVA that I found out that it was a hentai show. As far as 1990s vanilla hentai anime go, I found Sprite below average; it's not the worst I've seen, but it's far from being a good show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
I am watching Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar). Just recently discovered it and have to say it is easily the best Chinese animation to come out recently. Very watchable. If you like the likes of SAO, Log Horizon etc then you'll enjoy this.

I've seen the first 3 episodes and I think I like it, even though I'm not a gamer, so a lot of it goes over my head and I have no idea how realistic it is. I'm familiar enough with the basics and terminology though, so I can still follow it. It's kind of neat seeing things from the keyboard side half the time too, and the pro angle is different.

They clearly threw a lot of money at this (apparently Chinese MacDonalds comes in bento-like boxes?), so it's not as hideous as I've come to expect of most things Tencent is involved with. Some of the fight scenes are actually pretty dynamic. I'm not sure how I feel about the reused footage though - even if the game moves are repetitious, the camera angles we're shown ought not to be...I think?

Like in the second episode he does this really cool slide move underneath this giant spider while slashing it with his sword, and it's very nicely done - which is why I noticed it when they used exactly the same footage when he was sliding under a human opponent in a duel. They're not quite equivalent circumstances, ya know?

The MC is kind of a jerk, but he can back up his ego with mad skillz, so there's that. And his jerkiness is mostly just a total lack of tact, though he is a bit full of himself when playing.

The main problem I have with it is their eyes are creeping me right the hell out. They look good - I mean I can't pick out a particular thing that's wrong or that they need to fix - but there's this sort of uncanny valley soullessness to them that is weird as shit. His boss especially looks like she's got prosthetic eyes or something. Both of them.

Nice music though. Smile

Also watching Girl Beats Boys still. Episode 5 was fluff, but it was amazing:

They held that shot for a full 25 seconds while our Girl's "sister" sang off-key behind that door and it was hilarious.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I finally watched the Anohana movie. It was... good. Half of the content was recap while the other half was some new content taking place 1 year after the TV series, I think. So it was bit like a recap and an epilogue. And there was one thing I wanted from an epiloguespoiler[ and that was Anaru and Jintan hooking up, and the movie... did not deliver. It didn't advance the relationship between Anaru and Jintan at all. Fudge you guys. Anaru x Jintan is all I ever wanted.] Why can't I have nice things?

It was still good though. I enjoyed the new stuff while the recaps refreshed my memory. I'd say the movie is only worth it for the big Anohana fans, anyone else would probably find it to be a waste of time.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I finally watched the Anohana movie. It was... good. Half of the content was recap while the other half was some new content taking place 1 year after the TV series, I think. So it was bit like a recap and an epilogue. And there was one thing I wanted from an epiloguespoiler[ and that was Anaru and Jintan hooking up, and the movie... did not deliver. It didn't advance the relationship between Anaru and Jintan at all. Fudge you guys. Anaru x Jintan is all I ever wanted.] Why can't I have nice things?

It was still good though. I enjoyed the new stuff while the recaps refreshed my memory. I'd say the movie is only worth it for the big Anohana fans, anyone else would probably find it to be a waste of time.

Admittedly, a sequel movie would be very appreciated. Maybe show the relationships and Popo dying alone because he's fat and nobody likes fat people.

What? Don't look at me like that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't like Poppo that much, something about his goofiness annoys me. I also carry a slight urge to punch Yukiatsu in the face. He is smug and his jealousy towards Jintan is pathetic. Tsuruku understands what's going on at all times but just observes and does nothing about it, so I slightly dislike her as well. Even in death, Menma gets in the way of my OTP... but she's alright.

Well, ok, I don't really hate anyone in Anohana. Except maybe Poppo and Yukiatsu a bit. But just slightly.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I honestly don't like Poppo that much, something about his goofiness annoys me. I also carry a slight urge to punch Yukiatsu in the face. He is smug and his jealousy towards Jintan is pathetic. Tsuruku understands what's going on at all times but just observes and does nothing about it, so I slightly dislike her as well. Even in death, Menma gets in the way of my OTP... but she's alright.

Well, ok, I don't really hate anyone in Anohana. Except maybe Poppo and Yukiatsu a bit. But just slightly.

I like Popo the most, but I think his twist about having seen Menma's corpse and feeling guilty about it was a little hammy, even for this show. As for Yukiatsu... yeah. He sucks. At least it's a human sort of pettiness, but I certainly never liked him, even in the end.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
Tonight I finished watching Valkyrie Drive Mermaid. I had a blast of excitement watching it. It was an exciting sight to see the love between Mamori and Mirei carry them all the way through to the end amidst the perilous fights of Mermaid Island.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

My Ouran Episode Eleven recap has been out since Saturday! I found that episode to be one of the funniest out of the entire series, definitely Top Ten and maybe even Top Five. With luck, I hope to get my next Code Geass recap (Number Four) out by Wednesday. I have a busy week ahead of me (a meeting tomorrow with a company that specializes in career training, then on late Thursday night, I fly to Pittsburgh!).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I also recently got up to Tokyo Ghoul at episode 7. I still don't like the show and I will probably drop it. The show has cool action scenes, but I really don't like the story and characters. This show feels nothing new or special to me. I can see why it is popular with the current gen of anime fans (kids, teens and early 20's adults), but there are better action horror anime out there in my opinion.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Only one episode to go in Key The Metal Idol. I have to say, this is easily in my top 5 90's OVAs. Easily has one of the best executions of the "idol girl" plot. I mean, if you can even call this an idol show. Calling this an idol show is like calling Kill La Kill a Magical Girl anime. Key is one of the more interesting "emotionless girl" characters, and she gets bonus points for coming before Rei Ayanami. The twist that she isn't really a robot could have been handled very poorly, but I think they did it pretty well. The villain is easily one of the most human pieces of filth ever. He's a monster, but he feels like he's real rather than just being a cartoon villain. Especially when you hear his backstory.

Sakura and Shuichi are pretty standard but serviceable supporting cast members, Wakagi is cool, but isn't around enough for me to solidly favor him, Ajo is a delightfully evil monster of a man, the subplot with the cult outstays its welcome (if you ask me, it should have ended with Key saving the young boy from dying), and Tsurugi is probably the most entertaining eccentric character I've seen in a while. I watched this dubbed and Tsurugi is easily the high point and Brian Drummond's best role. It's a real shame that episode 14 makes it look like he's getting killed off (he's about to be extracted for his gel, the essence of human life). I really, REALLY enjoy his brand of crazy. I think my favorite moment so far (aside from Key wrecking the concert at the end of episode 13) was when he confronted the cult leader and told him to use his godly devotion to "Strike him down." Pretty awesome. His admiration for Key's robotic personality is also an interesting thing that the show sadly didn't delve into enough.

Speaking of episode 14, the FEATURE LENGTH episode was seriously lacking in some areas. I mean... the old man was basically spouting his backstory for the audience, but he didn't just have the flashback... he narrated it under the thinly veiled guise of talking to Key's death grandpa. Wakagi told some parts of the flashback in an acceptable way by telling them to Shuichi, but I feel like this could have been done better if the entire thing was a proper flashback episode about Key's grandfather (like Homura's backstory in Madoka Magica). Aside from that, this OVA series is easily Very Good leading on Excellent. Lets see what the finale has in store.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of episode 14, the FEATURE LENGTH episode was seriously lacking in some areas. I mean... the old man was basically spouting his backstory for the audience, but he didn't just have the flashback... he narrated it under the thinly veiled guise of talking to Key's death grandpa.

That is the 'hump' of the series, you shall find. Judging by your reactions thus far, your patience is due to be rewarded amply: Key's climax is as exhilarating and satisfying as that of any drama I recall watching.

With this in mind though, I must urge you to wait for the end credits to roll in their entirety...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of episode 14, the FEATURE LENGTH episode was seriously lacking in some areas. I mean... the old man was basically spouting his backstory for the audience, but he didn't just have the flashback... he narrated it under the thinly veiled guise of talking to Key's death grandpa.

That is the 'hump' of the series, you shall find. Judging by your reactions thus far, your patience is due to be rewarded amply: Key's climax is as exhilarating and satisfying as that of any drama I recall watching.

With this in mind though, I must urge you to wait for the end credits to roll in their entirety...

Did it. Done. I agree that the climax was great. Key's arc was done fantastically. The characters who survived all got satisfying conclusions. The epilogue was a nice touch with Key visiting Miho.

My only complaint is that Ajo didn't die slowly enough.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Watching Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. On episode 6. It's actually perfectly acceptable. Nothing bad about it. The direction and superficial aspects are all exceptional, but the writing for the protagonist leaves a lot to be desired. Heck, I know Zeon has always been inherently more interesting than our protagonists, but this is ridiculous. Also, yeah. The Zeon guys are pretty cool in this. The dub is eh though.

After finishing one episode of Sasami Magical Girls Club, I have to say one thing. It is not about how good or bad the show is. All things considered, it's pretty standard. I'd recommend it to people who miss the days of just having a cute magical girl show with nothing super dark in it. No. My one question is this.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TENCHI MUYO!?
poisonFang

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
Currently watching boku hero no academia season 2
Reason- It's awesome Twisted Evil Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 978 of 1062