• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
@ Errinundra - don't laugh; there was a notorious case in Canada not all that many years ago where a guy was acquitted of killing his mother-in-law because he claimed he did it while sleep walking (sleep murdering?)!

@ DP - I used to be a "watch a ton of shows each season" kind of guy, but I am reforming. In the Winter season I broke my personal, uh, "best" and watched a staggering 29 titles to completion (only 2 of which had started in a previous season). That was a lot even by my standards.

The Spring season was different. I only had 11 titles on my plate and 9 of them were one cours. I'm continuing to follow Rin-ne Season 3 and Sakura's Quest.

Going forward, I am going to be a bit pickier about even starting a new title and I'm certainly going to be quicker to cut something that isn't holding my iinterest. No more watching to completion just... because? for me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Don't feel bad. You are just suffering from age related CRS*. I find that if I stop watching a show part way through that I have to start again from the beginning when I pick it back up. Usually when I get a new volume of manga I will get out the last two and read them together. In both cases I find that I pick up details that I had forgotten.

(CRS: Can't Remember Shit)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote

Who are you, again?

Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

There, there, You don't really need to know. Twisted Evil

Just as a heads up, someone in the Talkback forum (the Tanuki thread) is claiming that Canada is really a country (and not a figment of your imagination).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Believe me, if Canada was just a figment of my imagination, our climate would look a lot more like Hawaii's. By the way, it's our 150th birthday on Saturday, woo-hoo!
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I find that if I stop watching a show part way through that I have to start again from the beginning when I pick it back up.

Hey, I have to do that too and I'm only about a 1/3rd of your age... Well, depends on how much time has passed of course. Sometimes if I start following a show weekly at the beginning of a season then towards the end of the season, I might have forgotten some details. Confused

While not related to anime I had a similar experience as Blood- somewhat recently. A certain video game was free for a short time on Steam so I grabbed it, thinking maybe I could try it out... except apperantly I had already tried it out, I had 86 minutes played on that game... I had apparently even gotten achievements for the game that were dated to 2012. I have no recollection of ever playing the game though, but it was probably a free weekend or something. Truly a bizarre experience.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Finished off Girl Beats Boys and loved every minute of it. I wish they had put in a little more story in the last one instead of just her walking meaningfully over flashbacks of all her fights and friendships, but whatever. All I want now is for them to do a proper full-length episode series of this. The character designs and fight choreography were too nice to just let it lie as a short-form series, even if what story we got wasn't exactly groundbreaking. It was just fun watching her kick ass, though there was precious little of that.

It must be relatively popular for what it is - the first vol DVD broke the top 20, and how many short-form series can say that? Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I have started watching a hardcore Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show, Hinako Note. I think I will become a "buff" of that genre at this rate. So far has been pretty bland but I liked the main character and her capacity to attract and communicate to animals: it feels so satirical . In the end this whole genre is essentially a subtle very satirical type of comedy: satirizing bishoujo stuff. Wink At least that's the way I perceived it.

Been also watching Space Brothers, now at episode 33 and the show's main characters finally have done something that is really involving going to space. Wink While I found the show extremely good I have the impression it's pace might be improved somewhat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
So I rewatched the first six episodes of Luck & Logic and watched the seventh. Yeah, I have no idea why I dropped this show. It is by no means an impeccable masterpiece, but boy I've slogged through far worse in my day.

Also caught the first eppie of the Chinese anime The King's Avatar which I hadn't even heard of until Rebecca Silverman's article about it here at ANN. I liked it. Nice visuals. The down side is that - to my ears anyway - Chinese is not a pretty language to listen to. Not as bad as Korean, though. I'm assuming the VAs are speaking Mandarin, but of course I wouldn't know.

And because Japanese kanji subtitles appear along with the English subtitles there is even more visual clutter than usual for a subbed show. The other problem is that, while I pride myself on being a fast reader, some of the subtitles go by so fast it's virtually impossible to read them.

I'll definitely watch more, though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Also caught the first eppie of the Chinese anime The King's Avatar which I hadn't even heard of until Rebecca Silverman's article about it here at ANN. I liked it. Nice visuals. The down side is that - to my ears anyway - Chinese is not a pretty language to listen to. Not as bad as Korean, though. I'm assuming the VAs are speaking Mandarin, but of course I wouldn't know.

I've watched 4 episodes of that and I'm not getting used to the Chinese voice acting. The characters' expressions, the way their mouths move and the way the voice comes out just looks and sounds off to me. It's like watching a badly dubbed show. Of course I have no idea how good the voice acting really is, but that's just the way it sounds to me.

The show is kinda cool in some ways but so far I feel like it has mostly been about beating random bosses which hasn't exactly been all that exciting. The show has been kinda overdoing the whole "look at how good this guy is at this game" aspect. I think I'm still going to watch it, I don't think it's a bad show, but the Chinese voice acting does make experience a bit less fun.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui is one of the most anticipated anime of this season... for me. I don't know or care what anyone else thinks, but the manga is damn entertaining. The anime didn't disappoint. The adaptation of the first game was great, not to mention the fact that the OP is fantastic. I usually hate edgelord shows about psycho hot girls and a bland main guy... as anyone who knows me personally knows when they get into a conversation regarding myself and Future Diary, but this show is an exception. After all, it's just a game. Razz
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Little Witch Academia, so far I have been fairly impressed by it. Truly a show that is employing great talent. I haven't been so entertained in a long time.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Finished Sailor Moon S. I rate it "Very Good." Not much I can say that wouldn't be repeating praise for the previous two seasons, aside from perhaps that its villains are the best in the entire series. Sadly, that just kinda makes them decent by ordinary standards. Of course, Professor Tomoe was amazingly portrayed by one of the most underappreciated English Dub voice actors, Keith Silverstein. I know him best as Johan Liebert, AKA, the single greatest villain in anime history. His lines in the final episodes of the arc, after regaining himself from the villainous force and fighting for his daughter's life were easily the most human moments in the franchise. The man sounded like he was genuinely breaking his voice and crying.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 - It's been a long time since I seen this anime and I never watch the dub that was made by Manga UK. This anime does hold an important piece of history in the US Anime & Manga fandom because it was one of the first anime to be released subtitled on VHS in the late 80's. So this anime did help start the licensing industry in the first place back in the late 80's. I did not see this anime until I was in High School more than a decade ago because I wanted to check out more stuff from Hideaki Anno.

While Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is not a great title, it is a very fun anime to watch. The story is nothing amazing because the story can be predictable. I wish that more of the supporting cast was handle better because they are pretty interesting. Ellie Kusumoto and Kouji Sugimoto are fun characters, but I feel like that they didn't do much.

However I do find the humor in the anime to be very funny at times and some of the jokes give me a good laugh. Lt. Kilgore is a very fun villain and can be so over the top which is not a bad thing. I love cheesy over the top 80's villains, so there is a lot of charm in Lt. Kilgore's character.

Our main character "Haruo Onose" is a pretty likeable character in my opinion. He is not the best main character ever, but I do like his personality and I can relate to his character seeing that he is a typical college student going through money troubles and relationship issues. He is a type of character that people around my age in their mid 20's can related with.

The best thing about Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is the animation. Most of the animation in this anime is very well done and some of it looks pretty good after 30 years later. The mecha designs look awesome and the animation is very smooth looking. I love all the animation detail put into the characters, action sequences and the backgrounds. The action sequences are so much fun to watch and nothing in this anime was boring.

The music is enjoyable and the Japanese voice actors do a good job on voicing the characters. However the Manga UK dub is pretty weak and most of the English voice acting is very flat. The English dub comes off as very lazy and cheap in my opinion. Stick with the Japanese version.

Overall, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is a fun little gem from the past. This anime is nothing amazing or groundbreaking with the story and characters, but you do get great animation, fun characters, funny humor and awesome action sequences. If you like old school anime or mecha anime, give it a try. It's only 40 minutes and you have nothing to lose. I give Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 a 7/10.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
In addition the copious amounts of new premiers this season, I'm also watching:

Hunter x Hunter - Have started and stopped this series a couple times now but for some reason have never been able to finish it. It's weird because I always have a great time with it but for one reason or another, I never get to the end. I believe this is attempt number 3.

Samurai Flamenco - Crunchyroll recently had Superhero week and I saw this mentioned and thought it seemed interesting enough to give a shot. I'm about halfway through it and it's really fun so far!

Zaregoto: Kubikiri Cycle - Read the novel years ago when it was first released and have been in love with the series ever since, so to see it finally animated has been a dream come true. While the OVA's haven't quite lived up to my (admittedly high) expectations, they haven't been bad by any means and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing more of the series get animated in the future as well.

In addition, I'm also keeping up with Re:Creators, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, and season 2 of My Hero Academia. All of which have been great weekly series to follow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 982 of 1061