• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm like, never bored after just two eps, the last time this happened was...like GITS:SAC, I think I'm done giving Production I.G. chances. Either try to convince me to give it another shot or pm me if you wanna buy the set off me.

Yuck.

May I offer some observations as someone who loved the series (in spite of what I know to be some pretty huge historical inaccuracies)?

The story has a very slow learning curve, as we find everything out at the same rate as d"Eon himself. So if waiting until near the end of the series to find out some pretty critical information will bother you, then yes, the series probably isn't for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that that the main characters work in espionage and/or the military for a living. It's not that they're unemotional - indeed, if you look between the lines they're quite upset at what has gone down and focused on taking names - it's that they know they're not going to get justice for Lia, or survive the gargoyle zombies being thrown at them for that matter, if they don't keep it together. I also feel they're fleshed out more once they start to know eachother better and you get glimpses of what each of their relationships were with Lia.

Just some thoughts, and I hope they help you make a decision one way or another.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa - another D'eon non-fan checking in. I wanted to love this series so much. It looked great, I love historical shows (even wildly inaccurate ones) and I love Production I.G ... but, I just couldn't with this one. I found it dull and confusing, although the last few eppies did pick things up and finally explain (some) things. Given the way you feel after two eppies, I think I can confidently state you would be wasting your time to carry on.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Remember when I mentioned something about buying anime, yea, my package came. Although my Ga-Rei-Zero DVD/BD bundle has been put on backorder... Don't worry Yomi, I'll get you back asap!

But on the bright side... I've gotten Basilisk BD, NGE Complete Platinum collection, Gantz Complete series, and Love Hina Complete collection. I'm holding onto them tightly as if they're my babies. They're just so... GORGEOUS! Hopefully I don't lose all my money buying more series. I also need to clean my shelves and get rids of the books I have to make space for these DVDs.

I'll probably upload pictures later... after I watch these hentais... and some of the DVDs.

Alright, I have some pictures uploaded... Here they are.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Galaxy Express 999 opens with the surprising sight of a steam train hurtling between the galaxies. Straight away it’s clear that this film is throwing real world logic into the cosmic wind. The railway signals are telling us to suspend our disbelief, but that’s fine, because we are in the realm of mythmaking, not ordinary storytelling. Tetsuro’s voyage recalls The Odyssey where the protagonist either uses his wits to solve his problems or is blessed with divine assistance.

Young Tetsuro is travelling on the famous train to the planet of Great Andromeda, seeking a mechanical body so he can kill Count Mecha to avenge the death of his mother. Success seems unlikely but the gods and the fates are watching out for Tetsuro: the deus ex machina is hard at work. Help in the form of various intergalactic notables unfailingly pops up in timely fashion, getting him out of jams, giving him a handy tool, or providing the answer to a thorny problem. Captain Harlock, pirate queen Emeraldas, Tochiro and Antares are among the larger than life heroes who come to Tetsuro’s aid. These contrived interventions aren’t the problem they might be in an ordinary anime. This is not an adventure story about dramatic scrapes. It’s about the education of a young man who, through each encounter, learns about desire, loss and generosity. The lessons learned will hold him in good stead when he faces much harder tests.

Journeying with him is Maetel, who has an agenda of her own. At once beautiful and authoritative, wise yet vaguely menacing, melancholy yet kindly, she has immediately become one of my favourite characters in anime. Acting as a sort of surrogate mother to Tetsuro (something more true than he first imagines) she seems to bear the weight of the world on her shoulders. Well, she does in a sense, as the viewer learns at the end of the rail journey.

All the female characters have a sadness about them, even the commanding Emeraldas. Is this typical for Leiji Matsumoto? They are each unforgettable: Shadow, the machine woman guarding the lovely body she abandoned, or Clare, who was forced to exchange her flesh for transparent crystal, or Ryuzu, the singer who took on machine form at the request of her lover. Their exquisite, wispy forms perfectly reflect their wistful natures.

The combination of grandeur and melancholy ensure I have a continuous emotional engagement while watching Galaxy Express 999. It’s all in the mythical power of a journey undertaken by two special characters that becomes a metaphor for life with all its joy and regrets.

Rating: excellent, tending towards masterpiece.

(That’s the second rapturous commentary for Galaxy Express 999 here in recent weeks. I wonder if people are actually convinced to watch it. Perhaps most people already have.)

I'll add to the Chevalier d'Eon comments, if I may. I regret forking out good money for this one-watch wonder. It might have impressive visuals but the characters were endlessly running around like headless chooks. (Perhaps an appropriate metaphor given the historical setting.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Finished Koi Kaze, rated it as Excellent.

"A serious and understated look at an incestuous relationship.

This can be a really hard show to watch at times, because apart from the one co-worker who is there for comic relief none of this material is played for laughs. Oh sure, there are some humourous moments, but anyone looking for typical Anime-style hi-jinks is going to be completely disappointed. When you have two such realistic leads and put them through the emotional wringer by way of a semi-taboo subject matter that makes many people uncomfortable, then it can be hard to struggle through several key scenes. I had to actually clasp my hands together at times because otherwise I would hit the pause button too often.

But you know, I'm glad I watched this show. It is so nice to see Anime actually treat such a subject matter seriously and with respect, instead of degrading it by playing it for laughs or introducing a cop-out ending. Real credit must go to the superb writing, which by the way was never judgemental, but the true star was the direction. I have read Theron Martin's reviews of the show's DVDs, and I agree with him that every frame, every expression and even every line of dialogue is important, even if just to set the mood, foreshadow the future or provide some insight. The ending didn't actually do quite what I thought it would, and initially I thought it might have been a cop-out. I've come to realise (didn't take me long) that the ending I had in mind was not what they were going for. What we did actually get was something rather muted, but also rather satisfying. Keep that in mind if you ever intend to watch the show

Technically, this was never a show that required strong art or animation, and it kind of shows. They're serviceable and that is all they ever needed to be. However, I did notice how carefully Nanoka's hair was animated in some scenes, whether it be blowing in the wind or just slipping off of her shoulder when she turned her head, and the number of hairstyles and outfits Nanoka had was far more than what many newer series display. I liked the realistic character designs, especially Koushirou's. A lot of real-life men have that jawline and body type and yet most males in Anime are either very thin or rather ripped. As for the music, it was really good, but the true genius was knowing when to turn it off. The lack of musical cues means the audience has to think for itself. Some will find it just makes the show boring, but those who invest some concentration to interpreting the meanings behind facial expressions and body language will be rewarded.

Unfortunately I wasn't rewarded as much as I wanted, and that is because I never quite "got" the attraction between the two. I do applaud the writing for not making obvious scenes as to just where and when they fell in love. The siblings quite realistically just grow closer and closer, until they realise they have gone past a line that was never visible until it was crossed. However, because the line is not obvious it also feels that the developments in their respective feelings happens too fast in the second half. The physical attraction I can understand, especially on the behalf of Koushirou (Nanoka is rather cute), but actual romantic love? When did that happen? It is hard to reconcile Koushirou's Tsundere nature - yes, he's a rare male example, made even more rare by being an adult and even moreso by being played seriously - with Nanoka's feelings. I guess humans are really that strange, but it is disconcerting watching it on my screen.

To be blunt, I do not know exactly why I am not rating Koi Kaze a Masterpiece, only that my gut tells me it isn't quite there. But it is still an amazingly well crafted show, one of the best you'll ever see in Anime, or outside of it for that matter. The lack of powerful emotional punches I felt from it can be easily turned around to mean that it didn't go the cheap and easy manipulative route a la Clannad After Story, and I do wholeheartedly respect it for that. Maybe some day I'll rewatch it and find that I missed key clues the first time around, and I might adjust my rating. For now, it will have to settle for "just" an Excellent."
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Watching The Beast Player Erin now. I'm at about episode 18 right now. I've liked it so far although the production values for this seem very low. The animation doesn't bother me, but they have used the opening and ending theme a lot already, just kind of ruins the feeling. I watched the whole arc where spoiler[Jone finds Erin and they live together] in a one go, but I've lost a bit interest after the spoiler[timeswap].

Also finished Gosick a while back. Rated it Good. Seemed like a very Bones/Sunrise kind of anime. A slow start and then things start really happening in the second half. I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would have. I was hoping for a very good anime, but it didn't really reach that level.

The relationship between Kujo and Victorique was cute and sweet, but the plot was quite boring. I liked having a few episode arcs instead of episodic approach (which I hate). The climax however was so rushed, it felt like the producers noticed they only have a few episodes left and had to wrap everything up in the last two episodes. Good opening and ending theme(s) however.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Watching The Beast Player Erin now. I'm at about episode 18 right now. I've liked it so far although the production values for this seem very low. The animation doesn't bother me, but they have used the opening and ending theme a lot already, just kind of ruins the feeling. I watched the whole arc where spoiler[Jone finds Erin and they live together] in a one go, but I've lost a bit interest after the spoiler[timeswap]...

By episode 35, it gets so slow it is a supreme effort to keep going. It picks up after that and finishes off well. I hope you're patient.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Watching The Beast Player Erin now. I'm at about episode 18 right now. I've liked it so far although the production values for this seem very low. The animation doesn't bother me, but they have used the opening and ending theme a lot already, just kind of ruins the feeling. I watched the whole arc where spoiler[Jone finds Erin and they live together] in a one go, but I've lost a bit interest after the spoiler[timeswap]...

By episode 35, it gets so slow it is a supreme effort to keep going. It picks up after that and finishes off well. I hope you're patient.

After having watched the whole of it, I really remember the best moments only. And to be fair, without those long periods of time when nothing was happening, it would not be Erin. While watching, I did not appreciate all the eps about Erin going to school and then taking care of Lilan, etc, eps being more of an account of the daily routine, but I must say- the charm of the series lies in those tiny details.

One thing I could not stand though were the two helpers.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I intend to watch it all the way, since I've gone this far already. I hope it doesn't get too boring, I feel like this anime has got potential to be very good. Very good animes are somehow hard to come by nowadays, not to mention anything beyond that.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:

I guess you mean those two "thiefs", unless you mean something that comes later in the show. But yeah I find those two very annoying already, they are just characters that don't really serve any purpose. They should just get on their way and get lost already Razz
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Unicorn_Blade wrote:

I guess you mean those two "thiefs", unless you mean something that comes later in the show. But yeah I find those two very annoying already, they are just characters that don't really serve any purpose. They should just get on their way and get lost already Razz

Yes, that would be the same two lads; they have a bigger part to play later on but are even more irritating than in the first episodes.

The slow pace of the series is something you appreciate later on, but I went through hard times at one point when the series did not seem to finish. But endure, and your efforts shall be rewarded.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look like Blood-C, Mawaru Penguindrum or Ro-Kyu-Bu! had new episodes last week. Anybody know what's the haps?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
According to AmiAmi's home page there's a holiday (Obon) going from Friday through today. If I had to guess, I'd say the creators of those shows recognize that holiday and took the days off for it.

I was annoyed when Penguindrum didn't air because every other Friday show did, but I can't fault people for celebrating a holiday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, that makes sense. I guess they're festing it up.
emibennett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 609 of 1060