• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Moyashimon is among my favorite noitaminA shows. Sadly, as is often the case, the sequel doesn't live up to the original. Still it was a lot better than the live-action version noitaminA also ran. I'm not a big fan of Japanese comedic acting in general, but live-action Moyashimon was so full of that style of performance that I found it unwatchable.

Good to know. Thank you for tempering my expectations.

Been going on a bit of a an anime binge the last few days. Finished watching the last 8 episodes of Fate stay/night after a couple of years. I loved the series when I first saw it during its JP broadcast, but this is only the 2nd time ever that I've finished it since.

A friend of mine went to the trouble of finding and downloading a translated version of the visual novel after watching Unlimited Blade Works a few months ago, then urged me to play it myself. And after watching those last few episodes and hearing the occasional fan of the franchise bemoan the anime (keep in mind I'm only on Day 2 of the Fate path right now), I'm guessing I probably give the anime too much credit.

I love the mythos and atmosphere of the series, that's for sure. I also especially enjoy Kenji Kawai's score and the, at times, great production value. But I can't help but feel there's something missing about the ending. spoiler[ The back and forth "live for yourself" bickering and semi-ambiguous "desire of the Holy Grail" thing didn't seem explained enough.]

I should probably just keep going through the visual novel and see what greatness awaits me, there. But I also wanted to finish the series so I can actually re-start Fate/Zero at some point and partake in its glorious production value, as I only got through episode 6 during it's JP broadcast.

Given my change in sensibilities, now, I would give F s/n a 8/10 or Very Good. Although, given how the novel goes, I might lower it some more.

Monster -- Started re-watching this one as well, since my gf and I were kinda' disappointed with F s/n's ending and were a little Fate-fatigued, so I figured, since she likes Master Keaton a lot as well, that I'd show her this one. And holy moly, did I miss this series!

We watched the first 6 episodes, and I was reminded of how masterfully written it is. The characters, the setting, the attention to detail for that setting, the mood. Oh, and that soundtrack! And the series hasn't even started to scratch the surface of the murder/mystery plot or slice-of-life elements, yet.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the rest in the coming weeks.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Going through my between season HD clean-up and... what the heck is Koitabi - True Tours Nanto? between two shorts it's about 7 minutes of a simple little love story of a 5-year couple breaking up reluctantly because the guy selfishly wants to move to another city, and of course they get together at the end. But the entire thing is set to a "last date" they have touring sites in the Nanto region of Japan. A charming little thing, and It is PA Works, so it looks great. but it is the definition of inconsequential...
yet, now that I see that there are four more episodes (two more stories) I just have to see them.

This is anime spring cleaning, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mami Melody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Watching Sola. Was recommended if we liked Kanon. Recommended for people who like Air too, but I hate Air, so I'm hoping this is better!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost finished watching AKB0048: Next Stage. I found Season 2 of this show to be just as fun and emotional as Season 1, despite a few problems present. The passionate singing and tight camaraderie between the 00 singers was what made Next Stage so fantastic.

My Rating: 4/5 stars.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Going through my between season HD clean-up and... what the heck is Koitabi - True Tours Nanto?

Nanto in Toyama Prefecture was used as a model for a lot of the scenery and buildings in True Tears. After True Tears was released people in the region noticed that anime fans were visiting the area on “pilgrimages” to see the areas featured in the anime. Consequently when the people of Nanto wanted to boost tourism to the area, they decided to contract P.A.Works into making an anime to lure tourists to the area on “pilgrimages.”

The anime is only part of the experience. There is also an app for smartphones that only works in the Nanto area that is supposed to make the experience more interactive.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
I recently finished watching Princess Nine, a "non sports" sports anime that paved the way for shows like Girls Und Panzer and maybe Bamboo Blade.

"We're going to talk about practice, we're going to talk after practice, we're going to have all sorts of interpersonal drama showing why we can't have practice and, time permitting, practice." 26 episodes, time really didn't permit; Even the official games were glossed over. A montages here and there but I got a more serious feel for the game and the players from the comedy movie Major League.

Then we have bits of "Take our word for it, she got better as a hitter and she got better as a catcher and Yoko just got better at everything; We won't show it, just go with it." Yeah, because most of the practice that wasn't shown involved the girls learning the game. And then we just had to accept them perfecting it. Well.

It was a good comedy, like GuP. It was a good drama, like GuP. It wasn't a good sports anime, unlike GuP. It was also an ok romance, which actually ended up trumping the game in so many ways, which was something GuP didn't even attempt {and something Bamboo Blade thought about but changed its mind around the midpoint}.

Also, I kept wondering why the hell Ryo would even try anything while at bat; The team had 8 other hitters but only she could pitch. Yup, drama definitely trumped the sport itself.

I can recommend it; I'm just not sure as what.
cateyekitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Heaven's Lost Property.

It was just one of those random picks for me. I'm not going to lie, it's really hard to get into with all the tone changes, but the main plot really hooked me. Which is why I was able to make it to the end. I just wish they had focused more on the main plot and not filled 80% of each episode with pointless fillers. It also left you hanging with nothing ever being fully explained or resolved. I know there's another movie coming, but I doubt it will satisfy my need for answers. Confused
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
I recently finished the new Hajime no Ippo anime. The last few episodes left a slightly bad taste (although the final fight was pretty good). Maybe that's why I rated this lower than New Challenger, actually no this just had a lot less interesting fights. I'd say that Ippos fight was the best here, we didn't get too much Miyata and the Takamura vs Eagle was not as good as the fight against Hawk in New Challenger. Well at least the opening was one of the best I've seen in recent memory.

At the moment I'm watching Log Horizon and Golden Time. Log Horizon is good.... I personally prefer action and drama, but the world of Log Horizon is really interesting. The opening is pretty cool, database, database..., and I do like the ending theme too.

Golden Time has been very good. I'm like 12 episodes in and there's just stuff happening all the time. For a romance/comedy/drama anime 24 episodes always seems a bit worrying but there's constantly something interesting happening. What I don't like about this show is Yui Horie. Whenever she gets a lead role she just HAS to sing the opening AND the ending themes and since I just personally do not fancy her voice it just makes it all the more painful for me.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to see Natsume's Book of Friends Seasons 1&2, which I've wanted to see because I love the manga. It was basically the same thing the manga is - a slice of life story with some supernatural elements. If you've read or watched CLAMP, imagine the stories of their tragic psychic boys if they had a chance of turning out okay and you'd have some idea of what to expect.

The voices were good (subtitled only - no dub), but I was a little taken aback because a few of the boys sounded a bit older than I had imagined they would. Kaname Tanuma in particular, who also had a stronger voice than I would have thought considering his health problems which have only been lightly touched upon so far in the anime. How they handled Natori's lizard gave me the willies in a good way. The art, of course, was very beautiful.

Looking forward to the basic release of the next two seasons which I'm assuming will come to Region 1 at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Looking forward to the basic release of the next two seasons which I'm assuming will come to Region 1 at some point.

NISA will no doubt release non-Premium Edition versions at some point in the future.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
For the first time since the last time I've watched an anime series which was 2 years ago, anime movie excluded.. I've decided to view Zakuro which has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time now.. Anyway I'm liking it more as the series progress. I love the animation, its like Rozen Maiden meets Ouran with a dash of Natsume Yuujinchou. Can't wait to watch the second disk. Its a gorgeous show. Even if you strip the supernatural aspect of it, the romance of the characters will stand on its own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Little Busters. It was a fine show. The lunchroom battles were fun to watch and I experienced a bit of lament as I learned about the sad pasts of Komari, Haruka, and [eventually], Kanata. Kudryavka's little story of traversing throughout the world was also an interesting and, perhaps, a beautiful moment. Overall, I enjoyed Little Busters fairly well. I just wish the show was managed more carefully by a more solid director. Neutral

My Rating: 4/5 stars.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Decided that I'll get through my backlog easier if I watch one movie a day. Started off with The Life of Guskou Budori, a little-known 2012 movie about a society of anthropomorphic cats dealing with climate cooling. It was good for the first twenty-five or so minutes as the older brother and his sweet little sister dealt with spoiler[starvation] (I had flashbacks to Grave of the Fireflies). Of course this time they didn't spoiler[get skeletal and actually look feeble; their flesh was still plump and their fur was as sleek as ever. But this ain't a Takahata film,] so I'll give it a pass. However, this story turned out to be boring, nonsensical, emotionally distant and scientifically stupid: volcanoes don't work that way you morons. How such a recent movie doesn't know about sulfur dioxide and the cooling effects of volcanoes on the Earth's climate I don't understand.

And the spoiler[magic/supernatural] crap was unnecessary, unwanted and atrociously utilised with respect to the plot. Not that there was much of a plot anyway, just some random arcs interspersed with nonsense. The closest thing there was to one - the spoiler[kidnapping of the sister] - was left hanging, completely unresolved (not that spoiler[the brother] was all that interested in or affected by it). I thought she spoiler[might have died as well as their parents, and the boy's subconscious made up some crap about her being abducted, and he survived because he ate her share of the flour.] But nope, that wasn't it, which was extremely disappointing, though I would have taken anything other than what we got, which was nothing.

Let's look at Guskou himself some more. He was a boring and distant lead who showed no emotional depth or attachment until the end of the film where he decides to help people so that they don't spoiler[share the same fate as his family did.] Commendable, but sadly, it comes as way too little, far too late. And he must have had a deus ex machina button because how exactly did spoiler[he make a volcano blow up by himself?] He really does come across as the 1930s Imperial Japanese poster boy for hard work that he was in the original novel. Your spoiler[family died] and your sister spoiler[got kidnapped?] Well don't let that emotionally affect you in any way - you need to keep working hard for the good of the people! And you'll be able to magically save them by yourself even though it is impossible! The Japanese can make anything happen if they are willing to study hard enough and spoiler[sacrifice their lives!] Now excuse me, I'm going to go throw up for a while at such a sickening nationalistic propaganda piece masquerading as a family film.

*minutes pass while elevator music plays in the background*

Okay, back again. I'll admit the art is gorgeous - especially the scenes of the forest in the first ten minutes or so - and the music could be very nice at times. The film even had some strong scenes and a very promising plot outline with plenty of potential. But looked at as a whole, man was this a crappy movie (as if you hadn't already gathered that). A lot of little-known movies deserve far better, being hidden gems that ought to be brought out of obscurity to meet the light of day and therefore appreciated by a wider audience. This movie however should be consigned to oblivion, and I'm glad that it is so obscure. I realise that by telling people about it I am giving it far more press than it deserves. But, I do reckon that negative press is important and that people should be able to make up their own minds if they want - and dare; you might just end up wasting two hours of your life. That said, the movie does make a good case study for those who want to witness first hand how a fundamentally good story can be ruined by incompetent execution and bad narrative and character choices.

I rated The Life of Guskou Budori as Weak. Had the volcano science been up to snuff, the propaganda been toned down (or - le gasp! - removed), and had the sister plot thread gotten some closure (any at all), I may have rated the film a couple of ranks higher. But no more; it was already too compromised. Even without the glaring issues this just wasn't that great a film. With them and it is something I actively dislike. Prettiness ain't everything.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Watching the stuff from current season plus a couple of movies:

Patlabor 2 - Mamuro Oshii

A classic, it's very 1990's anime in it's feelings, though when I think of 1990's anime I think of stuff like EVA, Lain, GitS and Trigun, this is pretty much in the same vibe, specially regarding GitS for obvious reasons, basically it's like a beta version of GitS and nearly as good as the classic of classics of anime features. It's very complex and cerebral as well, made my head hurt a bit.

Nagi Asukara

Finishing it, as melodramatic as anime gets. Reminded me of From The New World but without the substance. Still can evoke strong feelings from me in certain moments though in other times it appears forced.

Super Sonico

Very mediocre series. Just a bit of moe and fanservice mixed with nonsense for a dozen episodes.

Sakura Trick

See above and add lesbians plus more erotic content.

KIll la Kill

Great series, easily the best among those I have watched from this season (that means stuff ending in 2014).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Marathoning Attack On Titan now which was bound to happen. Just finished the scene where Levi spoiler[ beats the crap out of poor Eren ] which I enjoyed very much in a twisted way.
There's obviously something so wrong with me. :'D

THIS ANIME THOUGH.
No wonder everybody's going nuts for it. I wish it wasn't half-over. Sad

..........why did you change the OP song, anime staff? THAT OP WAS FINE THE WAY IT WAS. I WAS NOT TIRED OF IT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 808 of 1061