• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm on the eighth episode of Nodame Cantabile. I found the show to be quite a fantastic experience. The scenes of Shinichi's misfortune amidst his quest to one day become a conductor and Megumi Noda always tagging along with him were more than enough to have myself look forward to how they'll help make their dreams come true together.
RadarJay

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently in the Black Rose Saga of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Ohhh boy. This is my first run through, and... well... lets just say that I'm gearing up to buy the special edition box sets.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
GE 999 Movie: This basically a two hour recap of the TV show, there really isn't anything new, just the same plots and characters combined in different ways. The most obvious change is in the character design of Tetsuro: in the TV series he is a grotesque potato-faced monkey man, in the movie he looks like a regular kid, albeit a rather ugly one. This change is for the better. The other major change is in the character of Maetel: she was greatly weakened in the movie version. And don't get me started on the sexist implications of the whole “I've been planing this plot for eons, yet at the last minute I vacillate and need a man (Tetsuro) to finish the job for me” bit. I think the endgame plot is better in the TV show too, as the movie version introduces all sorts of fridge logic problems after the end. Plus it's not a particularly good recap; If you've watched the entire series it's an uninspired rehash and if you haven't seen it, then it won't make much sense. Animation is really nice, though.

Sword for Truth
This is a masterwork in how not to adapt a work for anime. Basically, the movie covers the first quarter of a longer story, however instead of focusing the movie on a subconflict or developing the storyline, it just blindly follows the original plot until it hits 60 minutes and stops mid stream. It's like a run-on sentence of 'and-thens'. And then the samurai has hot sex with this random chick, and then she tries to kill him, and then he's attacked by ninjas... that sort of thing. Not only that, huge plot elements are introduced but not explained, characters appear for no reason, and events happen but are not detailed. I can see why it was brought state-side, there is a metric assload of sex and violence, but it is a horrible, nonsensical story, and pretty much unwatchable.

Shuten Doji
After looking it up in the Encyclopedia, I discovered that the English version bears the subtitle “The Star Hand Kid”. I would like to apologize for everything I ever said about Cat Planet Cuties. This is the worst localization ever. Anyway, Shuten proves once again that People who don't understand Time Travel should not write about Time Travel. The plot of Shuten Doji is a Causality Loop: A causes B which causes C which causes D which causes A. The problem is that A can't be caused without D and D can't happen without A, so there is no way to enter the loop to begin with. If you can ignore that you'll find a story with lots of gore and senseless violence, so much so that it gets boring after a while. There is also a long interlude in the future (also, while I'm at it, never ever mix a fantasy plot with a science fiction plot!) where we discover that Shuten's body is made of light (photons do not work that way!) and meet a cyborg Oni that has been in the military for one hundred years and is still only a sergeant. Also, Shuten has a hot girlfriend that follows him around despite the fact she is less than useless. Every episode she is stripped naked and sexually assaulted. Every. Episode.

Bastard!!
Run of the mill anti-hero fantasy, where the only person that can stop the God of Destruction from reviving is an evil, oversexed mage. I kinda liked it, the animation was good, the characters were engaging and fun. It is pretty trashy though, plenty of awkward sexualization and creepiness (the half-elf tenderly saying 'he's my father and my lover' was wrong, just wrong) but there is some beefcake too for those who go for that (equal opportunity sexual objectification, I guess). There is a lot of nastiness under the surface that gets close to coming out and destroying the show, but it manages to keep it's libido contained just enough, and it manages enough of a comedic atmosphere to walk the balance beam and survive. The anti-hero aspect is handled better than others. Anti-heroes are problematic because if they turn good too hard and too fast, they lose everything that makes them interesting, but if they stay evil, they become such jerks the audience stops caring. Bastard dabbles in some development, having the anti-hero selfishly sacrifice himself at times and other times selfishly abuse and manipulate the situation. It doesn't really explore it all to my liking, and runs the danger of Schneider becoming arbitrary and unlikable. Bastard is one of those shows that always seems like it is about to careen off the side of the cliff, but always manages to keep it's balance each time.

Beast Player Erin
Just reached the point where Erin becomes Erin spoiler[Halfhand]. Why, Japan, why do your cartoons make me cry so?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
This morning I finished watching Paradise Kiss. A schoolgirl named Yukari Hayasaka was working her way to making an attendance to a university, but thought her life was getting a bit boring. It wasn't until she met a small group of students until the label Paradise Kiss that she decided to involve herself into the world of fashion.
I had a great time watching this show. The dreamy atmosphere of Paradise Kiss was what caught my interest and, IMO, what made it so appealing to me. The ending, albeit a good one, was bittersweet.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
I finally signed up for Crunchyroll a while ago, mostly because of JoJo and Mushishi. While picking shows for my queue I noticed they had Chihayafuru. Didn't seem like my kinda thing, but it's got some praise, so I decided to give it a few episodes. Now I'm up to ep. 20 and I'm absolutely loving it (though ep. 2 very nearly made me drop the show)!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
I finished Anohana, rated it excellent. Wonderful, very well crafted characters with interesting and touching interactions, sensitive, mature storytelling, huge enjoyment and investment on my part. The characters were all written so well I find it hard to name favorites. Anaru and Yukiatsu, maybe, but everyone was memorable. Wonderful OP as well, setting the mood perfectly. I could never bring myself to skip it, very simple, but very beautiful.

On to the next noitamina show now, I think I will continue with Wandering Son.

I also finally decided to watch the 3rd Evangelion rebuild movie after stalling for a long time due to being left very much disappointed after the first two movies. I'm not going to bore you with any ramblings about why I think the TV series is in a league of its own or how the rebuild movies are not much more than a pretty, but hollow shadow, as I am sure there have been plenty of those, along with countless discussions about why I am wrong, when the rebuild movies first came out. It's just such a pity for me to see characters that I consider to be some of the best written characters in anime being reduced to ... that. Of course I am going to watch the last one when it comes out, trying to keep a mind as open as possible...
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching an i anime i found by accident searching for Action-Super Power-Supernatural ->
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

Really suprised by the plot-characters & the action ofc, but mainly annoying by the fact it hasn't a second season although it's pretty amazing! I would say in overall without spoiling that it's worth watching a lot!
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I just watched an anime by Seiji Kishi, and liked it. AURA. Anyone who's interested in a more serious version of Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! should check this movie out!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
So, I finished Azumanga Daioh a couple of days ago! I really liked it! It is a wonderful show! Glad I saw it, and will one day do a re-watch! Now on to the others!

Note: I will be recording my thoughts of Attack on Titan on the discussion thread.

Princess Tutu: I love Duck so much, she's adorable! Why is it that all my favorite heroines are redheads? Kyoko Sakura, Mamimi Samejima, Fio, and now Duck! How odd. Anyway, I felt really bad for Duck in the first episode. I knew what it was like having low self-esteem. It's especially depressing considering that she blames herself for Mytho saving her, AND thinks of herself as an inferior love interest for him compared to the prettier and more talented Rue. (spoiler[and having already seen this anime, she's kind of right]). Anyway, great first episode! More!

Soul Eater: Stopped at Episode 37. Now, something that's been bugging me is Chuck Huber's FLAT voice acting as Dr. Stein. It's not necessarily the direction so much as me just not liking Chuck Huber as an actor. BUT. When Dr. Stein goes off his crazy-pills, suddenly, Huber becomes insanely (pun intended) good. Personally, they should have gone with someone else. Other than that, the dub is kind of good! Laura Bailey is perfect as Maka, Luci Christian is fantastic as always as Medusa, Maxey Whitehead fits the role of Crona well, and everyone else fills out their roles pretty well. Looking forward to the mysteries of Brew and the DWMA!

Cowboy Bebop: I stopped at Edward's introduction episode. AND another redhead on my list of favorite heroines! Melissa Fahn was perfect in this role, bringing a sense of mania and fun to Edward's mad hacker persona. Other one-shot characters I liked were Rocco and Stella from "Waltz for Venus", and the AI from "Jamming with Edward." I LOVE THIS SHOW SO FAR. Very Happy

Michiko and Hatchin: Admittedly, I don't like this show the same way I liked it at the beginning. I'm certainly not dropping it, but the plot is starting to become just a tad bit unfocused in terms of story and themes. I have no idea what this anime is about, except that South America sucks. Or maybe it's just because I reached the part where they separated Michiko and Hatchin, which was the best part of the show. Please get them back together soon! Sad
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
On impulse from feeling tired and hungry I picked up Nichijou - My Ordinary Life, retail. It was AUD$58 (I think) and only later did I realise this is one of those R4-only titles!

This show is in the same category as AzuDai and Lucky Star (schoolgirls SOL), but with wackier extremes, and the art is not quite as distinctive. When I started watching Nichijou, at first I had a sinking feeling, as it seemed to be based on unfunny cheesy schtick humour. Well, it is cheesy, but they keep it fresh enough to stay interesting. Plus the core characters have real personalities and emotions - so they respond to the randomness of the gags in a genuine way.

Negatives: Biggest negative is I can't stand the OP. BTW, the OP/ED aren't subbed (presumably due to licencing issues). Also, annoyingly, there are a few lines in the show that aren't subbed.

I've been wondering how they'll keep this random kind of show interesting for 26 eps, but in ep 7 (I think) there is a hint that some separate characters are going to meet up soon. (The ANN streaming review is only for 1-7.) Hopefully some sort of arc story will develop.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
I can't believe I just watched an anime by Seiji Kishi, and liked it. AURA. Anyone who's interested in a more serious version of Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! should check this movie out!

I think I shall.

Attack on Titan - I was finishing watching Attack on Titan but a certain someone spoiled some nice later series key points in another thread. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll finish it but my enthusiasm has been severely tempered. All in all I like the show a lot. I wouldn't say it's as great as many do and put it up on such a high pedestal. Eren can get annoying at times and is predictable. That being said I am enjoying the action and the plot is fresh enough for me frm what comes out season after season to get a few extra points. I think it'll wind up in the Good category for me at the end.

High School DxD - I wanted a T&A fanservice show for some comedy and relaxation. Well this show certainly has boobies galore. More mammary glands than you can shake a stick at. Nothing fancy by any stretch but if you want a T&A show it delivers. And has just enough plot to stay moderately interesting beyond the T&A.

Guilty Crown - The visuals I saw for the show are what got me interested at first. I just really liked the character designs and backgrounds from the previews I saw. Only a few episodes in so I can't really comment too much on the plot so far. Seems to be tossing the main character into things rather quickly from the start so I hope the pacing evens out as it goes.

Sword Art Online - This is another show like Titan that I waited on. I tend to do that with the big super popular shows. I wait for them to run their initial course and let the hype die down some. Then i watch them so I'm not bombarded with opinions on them as I watch them. I like to formulate my own opinions. It's another one like Titan that I'm 2/3 of the way through and would rate it as Good. Again, like Titan, I'd not rate it as high as the popularity would suggest. Still very enjoyable for me though. To me SAO is like a more polished and entertaining .hack.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - This is one my gf watched and suggested to me so I'm watching it myself. It's a nice little slice of life drama show. No explosions or mechs or sword fighting which is nice for a change. I can tell already I think I'm not going to like Atsushi that much.

I think I might also re-watch my Patlabor OVA's after mentioning them in another thread. Kind of got me thinking about them and wanting to re-watch them again. Might even do the movies too.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm approaching near the end of Stellvia of the Universe. I found the show to be a great watch. The scenes of space travel were quite fun, particularly when it came to playing sports that make use of spacecraft. On top of that, I was amused by how the relations between Shima and Kouta were progressing throughout the show. I wonder out it will turn out?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I take back the nice things I said about Nichijou. Yet to reach the halfway point of this 26 ep series, and they have completely run out of funny and are now just extremely irritating, especially Nano and the professor.

Started watching Tari Tari. At first I was worried this was another example of me getting sucked into buying a series after being fooled by the one good scene (www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8rnv4_IWQ) being posted online (as happened with A Certain Magical Index). So far, 4 eps in, I am enjoying it, despite it all being so NICE. Thankfully there has been not too much singing so far, and the music, while not especially memorable, isn't terrible.

The one negative about the DVD of Tari Tari is that in the second half of the 4th ep (last ep of disc 1), the subs go completely out of sync. The timings are right, but one of the lines was skipped so the subs are always one line in advance. Turns out this is a known issue...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
^
Tari Tari gets a lot better in a couple of episodes when we learn more about the standoffish girl. I ended up really enjoying that series, which is highly unusual since I usually can't stand shows from P.A. Works.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was doubting Tari Tari through the whole first arc too. It was... okay but didn't really deliver many emotions - good or bad. I'm glad I continued watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 811 of 1062