• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade--
Apparently the people who played the visual novel are really teed off about it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
I know the feeling when you are a fan or the source material and the series looks nothing like it, but since I never read the visual novel, that should not really matter for me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Started watching Fate Stay Night.

I know there are threads about where to start etc etc. I do not have that much time to go through them, so went with the 2006 series first, and then I will move onto what is on Crunchyroll. We shall see if it will mae any sense or whatsoever. I have seen 4 episodes so far and really liking it.

Glad you're liking it. The Studio Deen version that you're watching kind of tosses in aspects of all three paths from the VN (where they are seperate), but mainly sticks with the first path (the Stay Night path). It's far from perfect, but I thought it was pretty decent over all, and it should do you in good stead when it comes to watching the stuff on CR.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Started watching Fate Stay Night.

I know there are threads about where to start etc etc. I do not have that much time to go through them, so went with the 2006 series first, and then I will move onto what is on Crunchyroll. We shall see if it will mae any sense or whatsoever. I have seen 4 episodes so far and really liking it.

Glad you're liking it. The Studio Deen version that you're watching kind of tosses in aspects of all three paths from the VN (where they are seperate), but mainly sticks with the first path (the Stay Night path). It's far from perfect, but I thought it was pretty decent over all, and it should do you in good stead when it comes to watching the stuff on CR.

The show kind of makes me think of the good old days of the first FMA somehow. not being able to compare it to the visual novels, don't really know what could have been done better/differently, but in terms of the plot and characters, I find it very enjoyable. At least I can just sit back and relax.
I have been watching Space Dandy as well at the same time, but I keep on having those 'what the... just happened here' moments every few minutes. Crazy stuff. It's great though, I even managed to get my partner to watch it with me.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Recently I took on Princess Tutu and managed to reach up to ep 13. Well, this is quite sucky and for various reasons:

-Stock music and whatever is not stock is grating; sometimes it fits but usually it just doesn't
-Ahiru is obnoxious as all hell
-Narrator/author guy is incredibly pretentious and WHAT IS UP WITH YOUR EYES? Yes I know that ancient cultures portray their dead with bulbous eyes, but it is incredibly out of place
-Lots of stiff animations in the dance scenes
-Really dumb jokes (I can buy a talking cat that teaches ballet, but what is it with his obsession with marriage?)
-Erratic pacing, sometimes it is decent while other times it is sort of slow, I've seen much worse though
-CROWS AND RAVENS ARE NOT THE SAME ANIMAL STOP MIXING THEM UP
-Forced emotional scenes, I especially like (yes this is sarcasm) where spoiler[puppet woman is burned alive when her goal was done despite the fact all she did was give anecdotes that made no sense]

The saddest part about this series? The scenery art and main villain are actually good, they deserve a better series.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Nanoha StrickerS. Pretty entertaining show, it's not as good as the first two seasons but still pretty entertaining show, I love the ludicrous situation of girls dressed in those cute costumes shooting massive pink beams which cause nuclear sized damage . I rate it as Good, because the plot looked like a bit mingled in some parts. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
@DuelGundam2099

Yeah...I have to disagree on virtually everything you stated about Princess Tutu. Let me respond to your criticisms:

1. This doesn't sound so much like a criticism as much as just a trope that you don't like. Considering this anime is about ballet, using classical music not only actually makes sense, but is kind of integral to the plot.

2. And Duck (as she is called in the dub) is obnoxious...why? You said she annoyed you, but you don't have a reason. At least say what bothers you about her beyond "she's obnoxious". Let me give you an example; I don't like Taiga Fujimura from the Fate stay Night because so far, she has contributed nothing to the plot and is not funny despite supposedly being the comic relief. If it's because of her voice, why don't you just switch to the English track? I rather liked Luci Christian's take on the character, in my opinion.

3. You don't know what "pretentious" means, do you? Oh, the sweet irony. (As for his design, I also have no clue why they went with that, but it doesn't bother me personally.)

4. It's not Princess Tutu's fault that they have a very limited budget to start with. Now it just sounds like you're being unreasonable.

5. Now THAT could have been a legitimate criticism. However, the way you worded it just brings to mind Point Number Two. Humor is subjective, after all. I didn't particularly care about the comedy, but there were other things for me.

6. As someone who has seen this anime twice, looking back on it, there's almost no filler to be found. Yes, the show has slow pacing, but I don't think it's a bad thing here. That's just my opinion, though.

7. It's a limitation of the Japanese language. Their word for "crow" and "raven" is "karasu." This is honestly the most nit-picky thing I've seen so far.

8. Admittedly, you do have a point. Partially. I have to agree in regards that the scene you used as an example wasn't as emotionally fulfilling as it should have been. Still, I thought that most of the emotion in Princess Tutu just...works. Mostly, it was because I really did sympathize with the main characters and everything they went through.

Now, I'd like to clarify something. You've made it abundantly clear that you dislike shoujo. I've seen your comments on Marmalade Boy and Fruits Basket. You hated them. So, with all said and done, why don't you just STOP WATCHING SHOUJO ANIME? You obviously don't like the genre, yet you keep watching these shows for some reason that you haven't made clear. Why did you make yourself see all those shows if you despised them from the beginning? You know what? I take back my recommendation of Ouran Host Club. You've made it obvious that you have a bias against the entire shoujo genre, and no matter what, you'd have hated it.

On a more positive note, I finished Paranoia Agent a week ago. Not only is it better than I remembered, but it may be one of my new favorite anime of all time. It was interesting, the characters were likable, I loved the animation and acting, and it was just a masterpiece in most areas. I highly recommend this for most anime fans. We'll miss you a lot, Satoshi Kon-sensei.

Oh, and also, I saw all three Madoka films. What did I think of Movie Number Three? Well, that's for another post. Oh boy is it ever.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And Duck (as she is called in the dub) is obnoxious...why?

Horrid voice acting plus being clumsy plus being loud.
Quote:
using classical music not only actually makes sense, but is kind of integral to the plot.

Strange, it wasn't fitting for a good chunk of the series.
Quote:
Now it just sounds like you're being unreasonable.

I'm not allowed to critique stiff animation? Isn't being able to move kind of one of the big standards?
Quote:
As someone who has seen this anime twice, looking back on it, there's almost no filler to be found.

The entire series could have been cut down to half its episode length.
Quote:
Their word for "crow" and "raven" is "karasu." This is honestly the most nit-picky thing I've seen so far.

Kind of like how wani describes gators and crocs, but that does not excuse the fact they are different animals. The people dubbing this should have remained consistent.
Quote:
your comments on Marmalade Boy

I have never heard of this series much less talked about it.
Quote:
why don't you just STOP WATCHING SHOUJO ANIME?

Sometimes I find good titles (Escaflowne, Pretear, and Bride of Deimos come to mind).
Quote:
You obviously don't like the genre

You mean demographic.
Quote:
yet you keep watching these shows for some reason that you haven't made clear.

Usually I do, but sometimes I watch something I expected to loathe and got something good out of it like with Demonbane, Blood +, Dangaizer 3 (if there is any genre I loathe it is ecchi), Najica, Skelter+ Heaven, Kekko Kamen, Cutey Honey, Witchcraft Works, Aldnoah Zero, Freezing, and The Devil is a Part Timer.
Quote:
Why did you make yourself see all those shows if you despised them from the beginning?

Fruits Basket I watched because I wanted to see how this would have won the Anime Grand Prix award. As for Tutu I watched it because I have seen so much praise for it and decided to give it a look to see what the hubub was about. I'm amazed it gets compared to ninjas with keyboard guitars.
Quote:
you'd have hated it.

And at no point have I state or implied this.

As for the finishing of Princess Tutu I thought that the already below average series began to slump as the pacing and animation became worse up until the last five episodes. By ep 16 or 17 when that sloth won a dance contest I knew this was going to be painful. Everything seemed incredibly forced going forward, especially Kraehe's backstory of spoiler[being adopted] and spoiler[puppet woman being alive as a ghost]. To some degree I take back what I said about Ahiru being obnoxious, only because drummer girl manages to be three times more annoying than her and is treated as a glorified paperweight. You gotta love how the writing tries so hard to act smart by being meta and psychological, real shame that doesn't work since everything is more straight forward than it seems. I won't lie, if they really went the tragic route this would have gotten a 1/10 from me, but they at least avoided that. As for the ending, it was kind of forced, but I cared more about it simply ending although how spoiler[Raven's heart exploded when no such energy could do so] was very head scratching. Don't worry, Akane, I can easily name at least forty anime much worse than this, at least this series had a couple positive things to it. If you (or anyone else) want to find out just click on the spoiler on my MAL profile here: http://myanimelist.net/profile/DuelGundam2099 You'd be surprised!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
^ You know, there's a way to state your opinions without being a jerk. -_-'

1. Okay. That's a little better. I liked Duck, personally. I found her sympathetic and easy to relate to.

2. Please provide examples.

3. I thought they made good with what little money they had.

4. Okay, that's a legitimate criticism on ADV's half.

5. I must have confused you with someone else. Sorry. Anime smile + sweatdrop

6. See Point 5.

7. Can't we have it both ways?

8. Okay, that's acceptable.

9. I've never seen Fruits Basket, so I can't vouch for quality. (I heard the manga was better.)

10. Once again, see Point 5.

I'm deeply sorry your experience with Princess Tutu was disappointing. I personally got a lot out of it, especially during the second time I saw it. In fact, I could write an entire essay about Princess Tutu's thematic elements and character exploration. Different strokes, I guess. (I should also mention that Princess Tutu is a children's show, so that should explain some stuff.)

EDIT: If there is one part of Princess Tutu that I freaking DESPISE, however, it's the character of Lilie. My first time viewing this, I didn't mind her. Second time? Wow, is this girl a B***H. This wouldn't be so grating if not for the fact that her b***hiness is meant to be seen as not only ~ lol hilarious~, but CHARMING. My God, I. HATE. LILIE. SO. F***KING. MUCH. Thank goodness she's shoved out of the way when things got serious.

Now, with that out of the way, it's time to discuss my personal opinions on Madoka Magica: Rebellion! So, how did I feel about the film sequel to one of my favorite anime of all time?

Well...it's kind of complicated.

I think I've made it quite clear that Madoka has deserved it's spot as a masterpiece. That especially goes for the ending, which I felt was one of the best conclusions I've seen in anime. Heck, I cried every single time I got to the final episode. I. Love. This. Show.

If I must compare Rebellion to anything, however, it would actually have to be TWO movies: End of Evangelion; and Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa. In terms of the former, both films existed to give a new ending to a popular TV anime and made me think "Well, THAT happened." For the latter, both existed to tie up some plot threads that weren't answered in the original (Homura's arc in the former, the fate of the Homunculi among others in the latter). I've already stated my feelings on the FMA 2003 film. So, what about Rebellion?

On the technical side of things, SHAFT HAS A MOVIE BUDGET. AND IT SHOWS. The transformation scenes towards the beginning of the film are gorgeous to look at. The backgrounds are beautiful, camera shots perfect, and it's just pretty to watch. The acting is great in the English Dub, particularly Cristina Vee, who plays leading lady Homura Akemi. She manages to hit every emotional chord, especially now that she's had enough experience with both the original show and recap films. Everyone else is good too, but Vee is easily the standout. Music wise, Yuki Kajiura is back and at her A-Game for this production. Notable tracks include "i was waiting for this moment", "Noi!", and the ending theme "Your Silver Garden", sung by Kajiura's band, Kalafina.

Story-wise...um...this movie had no point. The story was done. Everything that needed to be wrapped up was wrapped up. At least End of EVA had a point in that it was a theatrical cut of what Gainax planned to be the original ending of the EVA tv series. At least Conqueror of Shamballa had a point in that it wrapped up several plot threads that the FMA 2003 anime wasn't able to answer by the end. Rebellion existed because the original tv anime was popular and proved it could make loads of money.

To address Homura Akemi, one thing I loved about her character was the ambiguity around her. She's what I'd like to call a "Rorshach's Character", which is that you could say anything about her, and chances are, ninety percent of interpretations were equally correct. Unfortunately, Rebellion completely destroys this aspect in the end by taking a definitive stance on her character. Bye bye ambiguity. You will be missed.

So, let's end this on something fun. Did you know that Tabris and Charlotte are the same character? Spoilers!

spoiler[They were originally both monsters of the week that appeared in a single episode of their original TV series that was not based on existing property. They also died in the same episode they appeared in, but became incredibly popular partially because either a death associated with them or their own led to a major game changer in their respective stories. Due to their popularity with the fanbase, they were given a bigger role in a theatrical edition to the franchise, this time in a heroic position. Their human forms have white hair, reddish eyes, and have the name "Nagisa" somewhere in them. Oh, and they have homoerotic subtext with a major character at one point in the franchise.]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Recently I took on Princess Tutu and managed to reach up to ep 13. [...]
You stopped just when it started to get really good. The term that I am looking for, I believe, is "deconstruction".
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
^ You know, there's a way to state your opinions without being a jerk. -_-'

I wasn't trying to be a jerk....
Quote:
7. Can't we have it both ways?

Sure, why not?
Quote:
I must have confused you with someone else. Sorry.

No harm no foul, you're still okay to me.
Quote:
The term that I am looking for, I believe, is "deconstruction".

I don't believe in such thing as deconstructions or reconstructions, only differences.
Quote:
You stopped just when it started to get really good.

Actually I just finished it this morning.

In other news I recently took on Magica Wars/Mahou Shoujo Taisen and.... Pervy robot hand aside this is actually decent, maybe even good! I can't form quite a concrete thought yet since I'm only on episode 10 and these episodes are only four minutes each.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Wow, 38% compatibility. Never seen it this low. At least we're on the same page about FMP.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, (i'm beginning some of my posts with the fact I haven't been watching anime for the past 5 years, so I'm trying to get my feet wet with anime over the past 5 years. I believe I've missed a decent amount and am starting with some of the critically acclaimed shows, as well as some of the ones that tend to my particular interests)

Just finished watching A Certain Magical Index Season 1 and was enjoyed it thoroughly! It was exciting, liked it enough to purchase the second Season. After some mishaps (purchasing part II of the second season before Part II) I am now about to begin, so now I am watching A Certain Magical Index Season II. (one thing i really like about this show is how, while Index may be somewhat moe-ish, it certainly does not drown out the rest of the show, but again, i have no idea where anime has been in the past 5 years because I haven't been watching any for the past 5 years.

On top of this show I am currently watching the seemingly critically acclaimed Steins;Gate. It is an extremely entertaining show, some of the best 'banter' in any show ever (at one time I believe fruits basket had the wittiest banter). Not only that, but it seems as though the ratings are the best of any show so far, and the premise is peaking a certain sci-fi interest I have. I"m extremely excited to see how this show progresses!

Cheers,

-Elfen12-
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
@DuelGundam2099

Now that I think about it, I think I know what your real problem is with Duck. It's not anything about her personally; it's what archetype she falls into. Duck is a "Genki" type, the lovable goofball who is so full of energy and so gosh-darn happy that just watching her makes you feel tired. Tamaki from Ouran and Mako from Kill la Kill are also very very "Genki", and you can go anywhere on the internet and see how people from those respective fandoms are torn about whether those characters are funny or annoying.

To me, it pretty much boils down to the question: "Do you know someone who acts like this in real life?" For someone who does (my little brother), you're able to appreciate the "Genki" archetype because you get the humor they provide on some level. For those who don't, well, good luck pal. You're gonna be stuck with them for the entire series.

Just a general observation from me, though.

EDIT: Now that I've REALLY thought about it, you and Princess Tutu were a terrible match from the start. A) The show is meant to be seen little by little as part of the atmosphere; your viewing habits require that you speed-watch through everything and then never pick it up again. B) The show is one of those things that's meant to be analyzed and thought about; given what you said to me about FLCL, yeah, this anime was just not for you.
Beobachter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Three episodes into Stand Alone Complex. Decent procedural so far, each episode is better than the last. Cool Godard reference also.

Only watched the movie with Puppet Master prior to this, and the GiTS lore is kind of confusing to me. Am I to understand that the movies, manga, SAC, and Arise (is there any other?) is all self-contained story that only happened to share the same setting and characters?

(also, first post I guess, hi!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 845 of 1061