• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Aaaand finished Nadia. I watched all the filler. ALL OF IT! And yeeeeh it was kind of lame, in fact once it was over and it entered into its final arc the difference on quality was veeery noticiable, especially in terms of the characters' interactions. But I'll at least say that not everything was awful and at least Marie made the filler much more tolerable, she was the best character back then. But to the point, overall I liked the show and it was fun, but geez yes if I had to recommend this to somebody I'll see if that Hideaki Anno's cut is available instead, because that filler is tough.

About the Nautilus Story cut: you'll only be able to find it on YouTube AFAIK. That edit was primarily made for Japan, but you CAN watch it if you're curious. The third "movie" of the "Nautilus Story" trilogy pares all that filler from 23-34 to barely over ten minutes. It's all the better for it.

Here's Nautilus Story 3 Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq_015V4gmo

And here's part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_awWlZKfQ5g
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching the first season of Gatchaman (2013). Pretty nice series, Rui was an interesting character and was perhaps more important to the show overall than the main character was, the main character was mostly boring while the rest of the cast was ok. Well the main character was fun to watch for a while but them it started to get boring, as she was obviously supposed to be super perfect in some ways. The art and animation were good and I liked the very distinct visual style. Soundtrack also was better than most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well the main character was fun to watch for a while but them it started to get boring, as she was obviously supposed to be super perfect in some ways.

I think Hajime is not there to be a complex character with dilemmas, growth etc. with whom one can identify. Her role was to change a generic sentai show, to turn it upside down by questioning the way Gatchaman’s dealt with problems, challenging their notions, etc. In my opinion, she did it well.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Aylinn, I agree on that.

I am also watching now Wolf's Rain, I am reaching the last episodes now. Overall it was a nice watch, not the best of series and I was a bit bored with some of it's elements. I don't know, the show tries to project a super dark atmosphere all the time and in the end it just gets more dull than dark many times. It appears to be forced in some ways. I much prefer shows like RahXephon and Haibane Renmei which are similar in some respects to this one in terms of serious/dark atmosphere and world building but are more complex/interesting than this one, which feels rather dull at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop..... again. I got around to ordering the blu-ray set, and I'm having a great time revisiting the series once more. Not setting the fastest pace, but having already seen the series I don't feel the need to rush. Though due to the animation being high-def now it does add another layer of awesome onto it. Just looks sooooooo pretty, and it was produced almost 20 years ago!!!

I finished Heavy Metal Queen today, it is one of my personal favs of the series, even if the story is pretty average for Bebop standards. The design of the space trucks is really neat, VT is fun, and Spike doing the floating trick here never fails to fill me with suspense, even if I have seen it many times before.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
YuruYuri has always been a good comedy trapped inside a bad slice-of-life show, and YuruYuri Nachu Yachumi! (OVA) is just another iteration in my long love-hate struggle with this franchise.

The OVA has a strong start with some great humor and attention-grabbing gags, but, as is par for the course, it soon devolves into sleep-inducing tedium as the slice-of-life elements rear their ugly head and the one-dimensionality of the characters is unable to soundly transition back and forth from being a comedic prop and a character archetype whose daily life you are supposed to either relate to on some level or be emotionally invested in. When the girls function as a comedic foil to each other, the show has always shone brightly, but when the show invites you to relate to or become emotionally invested in the characters on screen, it has routinely failed to hit its mark.

Rating: Not Very Good
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Finally finished Wolf's Rain, including the OVA and everything in it's 30 episodes. Now, gazing upon the whole series from this vantage point it is indeed a very well executed tragedy epic. It's atmosphere is very similar to late 1990's and early 2000's anime like Saikano, Boogiepop Phantom and RahXephon, being very dark and serious in style. Overall I think that despite being overlong (including having 4 completely useless episodes), it is a good series that deserves it's classic reputation even though I didn't connect that much with the characters.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
@ Jose Cruz

Hey, I'm glad you liked Wolf's Rain (so did I), but...why in the hell did you watch the recap episodes? Nobody watches those! *I* didn't even watch those! The only reason they existed was because there was a SARS epidemic at Studio BONES. Rant over.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't know it had recap episodes. So I was watching everything and then it got "weird" as episodes started showing stuff I had already seem. Confused
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I decided to watch Death Note. I guess I wanted something lacking in blood, but creepy. Or maybe this is a chance to get over a nervousness (which I will not discuss).

It's tied with Mushishi for fave anime. I've seen like 30 anime, and some shows a lot less than others. I'm three episodes in this, and I'm hooked. I love stories with high explanations and discussion while maintaining story, like Andrei Tarkovsky movies (look for Stalker and Solaris... the original Solaris without George Clooney. Yes George Clooney's is a remake. Both movies are great).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I finished watching all of Super Sonico. I had serious fun watching it. I thought Jessica Nigri was the right pick for Sonico when watched the trailer of the show a while back. I found that I was right when I watched the first episode. Smile

Overall, I enjoyed all of Super Sonico. Watching Sonico as she experiences all sorts of hectic tasks, from modeling and practicing rock songs with her best pals to fending off zombies while aboard a cruise ship. It was great chaotic fun.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
@Oshawott, you liked that? I found it to be among the worst animations I ever watched. I don't know why, I found it super dull and artificial. But at the time (February 2014) I was suffering from seasonal depression though, so I guess that biased my ratings down (everything I watched at the time felt bad).
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
@ Jose Cruz

Mr. Oshawott likes almost everything. I don't think I've ever seen him give a negative review once. I may not necessarily agree with Oshawott, but he's pretty nice. We need more members like him around here to counter all the Negative Nancies. =)
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It took me a while, but I finally got around to the Dantalian special episode: Ibarahime. No idea what Ibara means. So, standard attempt at psychological effect and unfortunately it didn't have as much pop as the regular episodes. Plus the main antagonist spoiler[hallucinating and falling off a cliff to die] was really weird. I know there was a slow decline in quality over time and this kind of confirms my theory, sadly. Could have been better or worse. On the side I have been taking on Soul Eater: Late Night Show and have to wonder why this got its own anime entry on MAL and have episode classifications on AniDB. I got 16 episodes in so far because this is surprisingly tedious for what is supposed to be glorified trivia and previews. I'm actually amazed at how slow you can make the pacing for something like this. Laughing
ayanami000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
{Please properly capitalize your sentences. ~nobahn}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 868 of 1061