• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished the first half of my first anime show of 2016, Jūbei-chan. It's not that exciting of a show, but I did enjoy the lighter moments of it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Watching Fushigi Yuugi. So far... it's pretty "meh." Gotta say, Miaki is by far the weakest part of this show. She's just so... annoying and strangely flips from being able to fight to being incapable of anything.

Also, I've heard bad things about the dub, and while it's not one of the better ones, I'd say it's perfectly serviceable. My one complaint is Bridget Hoffman as Miaki. This was probably before she knew what roles she suited best though. I can't blame her. A few others sound off at points, but for an older dub, this thing sure beats Fist of the North Star's dub. Anime hyper
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage

..........so, we're getting a third season, right?

RIGHT?

......arrrrrrrrrgh

louis6578 wrote:
Watching Fushigi Yuugi. So far... it's pretty "meh." Gotta say, Miaki is by far the weakest part of this show. She's just so... annoying and strangely flips from being able to fight to being incapable of anything.

I did warn you. Anime hyper

Oh lord....the dub....she must be ten times more irritating. I watched it subbed. lol
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Well, not exactly a third season. There is, however, an OVA called Roberta's Blood Trail. The good news is that it is already available in the US. The bad news is that it uses up all but a few chapters of the available source material. It is available both standalone and as part of the recently issued collector's edition.

Once you have seen that, that is pretty much the end of it for the foreseeable future.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

Well, not exactly a third season. There is, however, an OVA called Roberta's Blood Trail. The good news is that it is already available in the US. The bad news is that it uses up all but a few chapters of the available source material. It is available both standalone and as part of the recently issued collector's edition.

Once you have seen that, that is pretty much the end of it for the foreseeable future.

I think only the latest volume of the manga (translated anyways) goes beyond RBT. Not even enough yet for another OVA. So it's either wait and hope Rei Hiroe picks up the pace or we get original tv material. Which I wouldn't be opposed to to per se. As long as it is done right and doesn't turn out to be pointless crap.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
If Rei Hiroe doesn't pick up the pace Dutch could die of old age. He should be in his late 60s by now. In any case there shouldn't be an ending to the series. The only ending available is to kill a lot of people I don't want to see killed, otherwise, life goes on.

It says a lot about life as a salaryman that life as a semi pirate in a hive of scum and villainy seems preferable.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I finally finished Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage

..........so, we're getting a third season, right?

RIGHT?

......arrrrrrrrrgh

louis6578 wrote:

I did warn you. Anime hyper

Oh lord....the dub....she must be ten times more irritating. I watched it subbed. lol

Yeah, Miaki is annoying, inconsistent, and I don't get her purpose? Is she supposed to be funny like Excel? She's not. She's just grating. Is she supposed to be easy for the viewer to relate with like Duck/Ahiru, Usagi, or Madoka? I hope not. That insults the viewer's intellect too much. Is she supposed to be a cool badass like Ryuko or Utena? To that I say, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

I don't have anything against thee harem or reverse-harem genre, and there are many in them that I ADORE! It's just... I don't understand how these characters can all fall for someone like Miaki. I get everyone's crush on other harem protagonists, but Miaki is just awful. Episode 5 and she already has two admirers (and I'm just gonna ignore the fact that she's a minor, thus making them pedophiles). They literally have no reason to feel this way! Unlike in something like Steins;Gate where they've known Okabe for a while and even Kurisu, the newest addition, has a believable amount of time to form attachment, these guys knew Miaki for less than a week and all they know about her is that she's an annoying, annoying waste of space.

I'm sorry if I sound negative. This show is still in its early stages, so I can keep watching with hope. It's just... this is making me wish that I was watching some good ol' Tenchi Muyo. On a scale of Love Hina to The World God Only Knows, I'm rating this two Love Hina's out of The World God Only Knows.

Yeah, I don't know how that harem rating system works either. Bite me. Anime hyper
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Death Parade.

Man, was that one hell of an enjoyable ride.

Being a fan of the Saw movie series, this seemed like a show that was right up my alley, yet took me way too long to finally get around to. Luckily, I finally did and was not disappointed in the least.

The characters were very well handled (Chiyuki being my favorite *sorry Decim*), the atmosphere and music fit perfect with the overall tone of the story (with the exception of one of the most upbeat OPs ever in anime), and each story arc sufficiently interesting enough on their own that I couldn't really pick one that I didn't like, with the obvious favorite being the two-episode arc involving the detective and Chiyuki's arc a very close second.

This series took me a couple of days to watch, which I feel like is the way it should be handled. I feel like binge watching it within a day or two would rob a viewer of time to really reflect on the, best word I can think of is moral, of each character arc. All in all, this was an absolutely amazing show and one that I would highly encourage to anyone. If you haven't seen it yet, make some time in your busy schedules and watch it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Watching:

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) - I am at episode 30, so far great series. I wasn't watching it earlier because I had watched Brotherhood and the plot is essentially the same. However, now I noticed that I was wrong, the 2003 series focuses much more on the parts that were rushed through by the 2009 series. And the quality of the direction is much higher in this version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ouran Highschool Host Club (2005) - Just started it. Pretty cute shoujo so far, better than most manga/series I have read/watched as well. I liked the idea of a man female character "undercover" as a boy. While I have seem it in movies before they all were terrible.

Nausicaa - (1984) - My favorite movie of all time indeed. I watched it for the 14th time or so, really amazing pacing and it's full of emotion. The main character also is so enormously amazingly great and memorable that this film is one of a kind indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Just finished marathoning my through the entirety of Working/Wagnaria.

Wow, what a wacky, but well-written anime. It took me a few episodes to get into it, but by Episode 4, I was hooked. Every character is interesting and unique, every storyline was engaging, and the opening and ending songs are catchy and memorable. It took a little bit for me to like certain characters like Takanashi, but he grew on me pretty quickly. Sato, on the other hand, instantly became a favorite character of mine. Somehow, this series makes every character likable by the end in one way or another.

The animation jump from Season 1 to 2 was amazing too. Season 1 looks good, but Season 2 and 3 look REALLY good. I admittedly don't keep up with a lot of modern-day anime, but Working caught my attention through Crunchyroll ads and I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. It's definitely within my Top 10 all-time favorite anime.

I also recently finished (caught up on?) Nisekoi. Another anime that I heard good things about and decided to give a shot. Glad I did. Ichijou is definitely a chick magnet, whether he realizes it or not. Razz Since the manga is still going on, I'm hoping for a Season 3. We'll see...

Otherwise, I'm keeping up with three other on-going series at the moment:

Dragon Ball Super. This one is pretty good so far, but I'm glad they've finally gotten past the movie arcs. It seemed really unnecessary to adapt the movies into arcs in DBS, but whatever. They were still good for what they were. The current arc looks promising, with the spoiler[multiple universes and inter-universal tournament]. Should be interesting going forward.

RWBY. Season 3 has been pretty good so far. I can tell the fight scenes aren't as well-choreographed since Monty Oum died, but the story is still well-written. The series has been left in good hands I think.

Haikyuu!!. Currently caught up on Season 2. My sister introduced me to this anime. It took me a while to get engaged with the story, but I like the series pretty well now. It's amazing how much detail is explained with each aspect of volleyball play. I also like that they often explain the story and characters of the opposing team that Karasuno faces. Like with Working, you eventually come to like almost, if not every character that's introduced.

A few anime that I'm looking into starting soon are ERASED since I've been hearing good things about it, FLCL (I've never seen it before), and Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally, after weeks of sitting around on it, I finally got around to watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I got on the Mamoru Hosoda hype train a little later than most (I only first saw Wolf Children back in the summer, and since caught up with Summer Wars and now GWLTT) but in that short period, Hosoda has quickly become the one guy I can't wait to see new material from (hating how long it's gonna be before I can see The Boy And The Beast).

So obviously, going into this movie I was hyped as all hell. And it ALMOST left me completely satisfied. The animation was very standard fare for Hosoda's movies (something that has since been refined and improved upon since the release of this movie). The soundtrack had the same atmospheric feel to it that Wolf Children did and the way the plot switched from light fun to serious and emotional was done in fantastic fashion. Makoto was really a girl we could all get behind.

Then the ending came along. Now, I'm not saying that the ending was bad. In fact, in terms of the story, it was an amazing ending. But I think it just replaced 5 Centimeters Per Second as the ending that left me the most pissed off of all time. I seriously wanted to punch a hole in my television when it was over. I have no problem with sad endings and I have no problem with bittersweet endings. But sometimes, I just need a freakin' happy ending where everything is daijoubu. This was not one of them. And I was furious.

Overall, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as being the first of Mamoru Hosoda's exceptional films, was a sign of what was to come for this brilliant director. For anyone who enjoyed his later works, or just an amazing anime film in general, I could not encourage this movie highly enough. Just be prepared for either frustration or tears, depending on your emotional fortitude.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:

Overall, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as being the first of Mamoru Hosoda's exceptional films, was a sign of what was to come for this brilliant director
It's actually his fourth feature film. He directed the first two Digimon movies and One Piece movie 6*. A lot of long-time fans of Hosoda argue that he did his best work back when he was a newcomer at Toei.

*which he directed after leaving Howl's Moving Castle and Ghibli. The movie reflects Hosoda's experience working at Ghibli.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
@ braves & TRNeilson.

I've seen all of Hosoda's films, bar his latest and one of the Digimons. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time remains my favourite, partly because Makoto is, I believe, Hosoda's best ever character, partly because it seeks a wider audience than its shounen predecessors, and lastly because it is more organic than its two immediate successors, which have climaxes unrelated to what is best about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Yeah, Miaki is annoying, inconsistent, and I don't get her purpose? Is she supposed to be funny like Excel? She's not. She's just grating. Is she supposed to be easy for the viewer to relate with like Duck/Ahiru, Usagi, or Madoka? I hope not. That insults the viewer's intellect too much. Is she supposed to be a cool badass like Ryuko or Utena? To that I say, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- no.

Yeah, Miaka is just supposed to be the "ordinary, unglamorous girl the shoujo audience can identify with". The main problem with her is that she doesn't have enough character strengths to balance out her bad points.....and her bad points are just too freaking....bad so she ends up really unlikable.

Quote:
It's just... I don't understand how these characters can all fall for someone like Miaki.

Absolute case of "because she's the main character." THAT'S IT. Yeah....it sucks when there's no effort put into it.

Quote:
Episode 5 and she already has two admirers (and I'm just gonna ignore the fact that she's a minor, thus making them pedophiles).

I must object here, not because I want to defend it but I do have to point out that one is 17, so he's only two years older than her, as for the other one, it's a Japanese series that takes place in ancient China.....the concept of "pedo" doesn't exist in either one. Anime hyper
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@ braves & TRNeilson.

I've seen all of Hosoda's films, bar his latest and one of the Digimons. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time remains my favourite, partly because Makoto is, I believe, Hosoda's best ever character, partly because it seeks a wider audience than its shounen predecessors, and lastly because it is more organic than its two immediate successors, which have climaxes unrelated to what is best about them.

I personally felt as a complete package Wolf Children was his best movie. Now as far as individual characters go I would agree that Makoto is probably his best and most complete character. I just think that all components put together Wolf Children was a bit stronger of a movie for me. Not by much, but still a little bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 894 of 1061