• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The second half of Tenchi Universe was a load of fun, but not particularly deep. It was a nice shounen-esque space adventure similar to (and a little superior to) Outlaw Star. I'd say it was well worth my time.

Just finished disc one of Ryo-Ohki 3 (the first 3 episodes/OVAs of the 2003 Tenchi Muyo) and... my god. That felt like sensory deprivation. So boring. So lifeless. So... not the Tenchi I know and love. The dub changes were kinda irritating too. Mona Marshal isn't a bad Ryoko, but... ugh... Nunnally as Mihoshi is nails on a chalkboard. Bob Papenbrook (RIP you brilliant actor) feels miscast as Tenchi's bumbling dad. I dunno. Maybe the previous guy was just better or maybe I'm blinded by my preference of what I saw first.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Tonight I watched the two-hour OVA of Mai-Otome Zwei. I found it to be an awesome sequel to the main show. The great battle with the enigmatic giant princess was an epic finish! Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
I have finally commenced watching Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. This is a delicious and effortlessly watchable piece, camp but refined, pompous but purposeful.
There is an eager delight to be taken in seeing its unsympathetic, aristocratic cast being bewitched by the corruptive charm of the Count; so menacing, delicate and otherworldly a man he is. While every cast member is imbued with the motives and conflicts one would expect from a literary adaptation, any moments of introspection or tenderness are duly outshone by the series’ magnificent grandiosity. Its sparkling theatricality, embodied by the Count’s exquisitely soothing, inviting baritone, seems set to cement the work as an elaborate and lavishly decorated amusement rather than a drama in which our own humanity may be reflected.
Watching ten episodes of Gankutsuou is comparable to eating the fanciest dessert on the menu. It is something to enrapture one’s palate and sate one’s appetite for richness, but something that has left the heart unaffected so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The second half of Tenchi Universe was a load of fun, but not particularly deep. It was a nice shounen-esque space adventure similar to (and a little superior to) Outlaw Star. I'd say it was well worth my time.

Just finished disc one of Ryo-Ohki 3 (the first 3 episodes/OVAs of the 2003 Tenchi Muyo) and... my god. That felt like sensory deprivation. So boring. So lifeless. So... not the Tenchi I know and love.

I know the feel. It was done so.....wrong. I don't know what the hell happened. Sad

Quote:
The dub changes were kinda irritating too. Mona Marshal isn't a bad Ryoko,

Compared to Petrea? I can't bloody stand her. It was the final nail in the Tenchi coffin.

Fortunately, we still have the manga that is very much in spirit with the original OVA series. When I read it, I can hear all the dub voice actors in my head. Anime hyper
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ryoko's first dub voice is truly the best, but Mona Marshall is a good replacement. The OTHER replacements were just terrible. Even Bob Papenbrook (god bless him, he's great in everything else) as Tenchi's dad was more weird than fitting.

Edit: Okay, now Mona Marshal is starting to sound weird. The way she adds "bucko" and "tell you what" sounds less like Ryoko and more like female Bugs Bunny.

Also, episode 4 of this OVA is god awful. The comedy is crap.

Mihoshi's brother isn't funny, he's just terrible and we all know that this plan of his won't actually amount to anything dramatically (he's clearly a joke character), but his plan to kill Tenchi for POSSIBLY being in a relationship with Mihoshi (one of the characters who isn't ACTUALLY interested in Tenchi) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like if Team Rocket planned to cut off the legs of every Pichu at the Pichu orphanage, it probably won't happen, but the fact that these comic relief baddies are even trying to do that is just disturbing. Mihoshi's brother wants to DESTROY EARTH just to get rid of a guy who he's never met.

Plus, the new characters are pointlessly overshadowing the beloved ones, Mihoshi's new VA is particularly rancid (the fact that Mihoshi coos out her words makes it especially grating), Mihoshi's brother is a waste of existence, Bob Papenbrook is a weird choice for Mr. Masaki, I'm only half watching at this point really.

I heard Tenchi Universe would be bad, but it was pleasantly surprising. I loved that show honestly. I'm starting to regret not catching it on Toonami or Adult Swim or whatever it was on. Ryo Ohki 1 and 2 were even better in terms of character writing and emotional payoff, with Ryoko, Ayeka, and Washu all being standouts for me. Ryo Ohki 3 is taking the best parts of the first two and shoving them into the trash! This is the worst Tenchi Muyo related thing I've seen... which makes me shudder to think that Tenchi in Tokyo and GXP are supposedly worse!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh louis, the more you talk, the happier I am that I dropped that thing after two episodes. Anime hyper

Quote:
This is the worst Tenchi Muyo related thing I've seen... which makes me shudder to think that Tenchi in Tokyo and GXP are supposedly worse!

Tokyo is dreadful...but you might like the fact that at least all the original voice actors are part of it.

.....still, I can't say that makes it worth watching. I liked one episode in that whole 26 run. One.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
And... I finished it. Honestly, the final two episodes were alright. The second-to-last one revealed a lot about Tenchi, as well as expanding on the concept of the goddesses like Tsunami. It was surprisingly interesting. The last one ACTUALLY FELT LIKE TENCHI MUYO! Great comedy (I loved the bit with Yosho and Mr. Masaki telling Tenchi how his mom died), and Washu got a good amount of comedic moments! My only complaint is that Mihoshi's brother STILL exists and has a tangible presence in the final episode, and the second-to-last episode could have been a little better with the action. This would have been better as a Tenchi movie or if the OVA series actually revolved around these final two episodes, as the second-to-last one felt like it had Angel Beats syndrome.

Overall, they were worth seeing. I recommend skimming a plot synopsis of the first five episodes, then just watching the last two. Great stuff. Does it make up for the first several episodes being about as entertaining in five episodes as 80+ Naruto fillers in a row? Nope. Am I looking forward to the new Ryo-Ohki OVA series? It's even less likely that the dub actors will get together for that one so... um. Just um. I hope they don't make even worse replacement decisions (Jamieson Price as Ayeka Razz).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Today I finally finished watching Love Live. Although the show had its dramatic and very mushy moments, particularly toward the end, I had a blast with its cuter and funnier parts. I just couldn't get enough of Nico's "Nico Nico Nii-ing"! Anime smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first season of Love Live too but i wouldn't necessarily call the end "dramatic" so much as an "epic drama fail". It's a show so devoid of real substance they found them forced into shoe-horning events at the end that make little sense, have very little weight, and are actually very minor problems BUT are treated like the end of the world.

I mean... Honaka basically has a death-scene in a thunderstorm... over *gasp* spoiler[AN ANIME COLD!] and the girl who is about to leave spoiler[doesn't want to go, no one wants her to go, and is easily convinced not to go.]

I will agree that Nico is a highlight... but I believe that's because she's actually the only genuinely flawed character. It's an annoyingly perfect group with only cute quirks to distinguish them.

It is "not really good" yet I am still curious to see what is done with the sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
I just finished African American Housekeeper: Novel of Festival. Or, as most people call it, Black Butler: Book of Circus.

This may have been the best arc out of animated Black Butler. No out of place humor, the bits of humor that were there were great. The darker themes were horrifying, depressing, and perfect! Ciel's development, Sebastian's lust for his soul combined with his deep respect for Ciel's decisions, the sympathy for the villains you WILL feel (especially with Doll/Freckles in the end), and the action that the Phantomhive Servants get in on for once, are all well done! The scene where Ciel orders Sebastian to destroy the mansion gave me chills!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Hanayamata today. It's not too exciting of a show, but I did enjoy the five high-schoolgirls' camaraderie being vividly expressed through Yosakoi dancing. Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The reviews I've heard were true. Love Live's 2nd season really is a big improvement on the first. So much energy and the plot was allowed to proceed at a much more natural pace. The season start's with a simple premise, the seniors will graduate after the big L:ove Live competition so they need to work their hardest to do the best work and win it all. And of course it ends with tearful farewells as they end the show.
But no forced obstacles, no out-of-character fights, no anime colds or school transfers.

It still has plenty of flaws inherent with the superficial cast and plot, everything still goes way too smoothly and the group is way too perfect to be believed, so I still can't personally recommend it too highly. I can't see myself ever wanting to bother with a rewatch. But at least they definitely deliver some fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Sailor Moon Crystal Black Moon Arc and I loved it! They managed to make that Pink-haired Demon likable and *gasp* felt sorry for her! I also like how Sailor Pluto has more screen time and back story compared to the 90s one. Like that we got more info about spoiler[the future Crystal Tokyo] but wish they expanded on a few things about it though. spoiler[Was also pleased how they have done Wicked/Black Lady. Her motivations and attitude towards the heroes makes much more sense than the 90s one to me.] Just wish that the fights were a bit more dynamic and like last season, wanted to see more of the sailors winning their battles. But other than that, I loved it! Dub cast did an excellent job. Although I still prefer Stephenie Beard as Chibimoon, Sandy Fox is a welcomed second place and did an awesome spoiler[Black Lady]. Highlight was the ending episodes. Feeling like I'm relieving my childhood again. Very Happy Looking forward to the next arc!

Also done watching Flame of Recca. It was such a 90s show, I love it. Nudity, blood, language, all really a guilty pleasure. Something I would have watched when I was a child if given the chance. For some reason I wasn't bothered by the tournament style stuff as I felt the battles paced well and fights were reasonable. Voice cast was a little shaky at the start, but grew more in their rolls as the show went on. Just sad its one of those shows were it ends while the manga is still going on. So not a true conclusion, but it was satisfactory for me.

And finally, completed Danganronpa: The Animation. A literal adaptation of the game. I enjoyed seeing it all play out in anime form, but really wouldn't recommend it unless you're a fan of the game. Its like a cliff notes version more than anything. Not enough information given to the viewer to solve the cases on their own, so those who like solving mysteries are much better served playing the game. Character development the same way. For the cast, Bryce Papenbrook returning from the game to voice the anime nails it completely. For the rest of the cast, they also did an excellent job, especially the cast of characters towards the end. If the game cast of the original couldn't be reached, I would gladly have them voice. Funimation did a good balance of localization and staying true to the original. But I prefer NISA localization in the game over the anime, but its just a matter of how one prefers their localization/translation. Overall, I think the director or creator just really had fun with this anime and it showed. Love rewatching the show when I'm feeling that Danganronpa itch but don't want to redo parts of the game. For the Danganronpa fan that just wants more Danganronpa anything or watch for cliff notes, or my personal thing, rewatch for the wonderful voice acting, this is it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Spent the morning finishing Sky Wizards Academy. I enjoy the fantastic air battles and the three starring girls' training with Kanata. Aside from that, the show looked average.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Today I got done watching The World of Narue. It's a show of the romance between Narue and Kazuto and the theme of the extraterrestrial. Overall, I had a blast with it! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 905 of 1060