• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
What else is from Halloween aside from a child killer who grows up to be an adult killer (no counting the backstory added in the 2007 sequel which Monster predates - maybe Zombie ripped off Monster)? Monster has far more in common with spoiler[The Fugitive (tv, not movie)] than Halloween.

Finally finished up Gallery Fake. Somewhat uneven, but the stories are always interesting and I learned a lot of things I didn't know before and enjoyed the process, so kudos, GF! For its time and clearly low budget, it has some impressive direction and writing, so all the terribly off-model faces and clunky animation can be readily overlooked, unless that's the primary reason you watch anime. I liked that Reiji has lots of flaws to offset his ridiculously mad skillz, and I even liked Sara enough that it pissed me off when they turned her into a pouty, jealous brat in the last few episodes. She deserved better.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina wrote:
What else is from Halloween aside from a child killer who grows up to be an adult killer

Hunting down his own sister, being distant from others, has a knack for hiding his face, his doctor chasing him down and has mental breakdowns, confirmed kills by knife, easily catches up to people by walking, probably more stuff in the coming eps.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Catches up to people by walking? oO Isn't that how people on foot catch up? I don't even know what you're talking about in either story. Very Happy

Those other things are hardly original with Halloween. I think the looking for his sister was a retcon from the 2007 movie, but I'm admittedly not versed enough in the franchise to say for certain. Anyway, once more of the story unfolds, you may change your mind. Or not. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Well recently my gf and I have been watching shows we both want to see, or shows that one has seen but the other really wanted to. So we've watched Tokyo Ghoul season 1, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Paprika, and just finished up Akame ga Kill. We're still in a bit of an action mood so we're going to continue on that route. So we started Beyond the Boundary & Rage of Bahamut Genesis tonight. Really liked the opening to Rage of Bahamut. Got us sucked in right away and the OP is awesome.

After we finish them we'll probably watch season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul and we're debating on either Assassination Classroom, Seraph of the End, Terror in Resonance, or Yona o the Dawn. Decisions decisions. Bought a lot lately with sales so for once we're actually having trouble figuring out what to watch next. Plus there's currently streaming titles we're trying to catch up on. Just not enough time in the day.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching all but the final disc of Unlimited Blade Works dubbed on DVD. First off, no complaints on the dub except that Gilgamesh sounds a little weaker here than in Fate/Zero. Second, WTF!? Did they pad out the episodes for some reason? It feels like Gilgamesh gave more unnecessary exposition about his orphan eating mischief (which was never brought up on Crunchyroll) and a few other random, pointless scenes were put in as well. Is this supposed to be a cool feature? Why not put in some extra fights or interesting dialogue? Ugh... it bored me and a friend of mine half to death.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Decided to finally check out Little Witch Academia, both the 26 minute first one and 50 minute sequel. I had heard good things of it, and in considering myself a Trigger fan I thought it was something I had to check out, although the strange format of not being a TV series or a full movie, had made me a little uncertain going in to really watch it. I guess I would say that the little cameo of Space Patrol Luluco was enough to convince me to just do it.

Having watched I can't quite say it was a masterpiece that I might have picked up from some commentary online, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. For starters it has the Trigger flare of style that I have grown to really like, an understanding that animation only needs to be as realistic as what is needed to sell particular plot elements, followed by selling the mood and the action in crazy fun ways. The characters are good, standout for me being the slightly creepy Sucy, but a lot of the characters are likable. The heroine is made purposely flawed despite enthusiasm that it makes her feel like a well rounded character. Even the rival perfect and popular student, Diana, is good character, as even despite having the role kind of antagonistic she almost feels like a break of the mould in that she does not do anything antagonistic and feels kind of well rounded.

Although I do think some of the stuff about these characters almost fit into a blink and you might miss it, because there is something that is also of note. It feels like for its running time it is pretty effective at giving you a lot for it, there feels like little in terms of introductions and instead it does what I would say is pretty effective conveying of information to the audience. All of that is a nice way of saying that it feels too short, and it kind of makes the pacing a bit of a mess, it feels like it is working against a budget, but banked itself on looking charming instead of being more drawn out. In that way it does kind of make me think of the shorts series Luluco currently out, which is and odd way to think of something 26 and 52 minutes long.

Having seen them once, I can feel that I do think that I will probably want to watch them again. There was a charm that I really liked in it, one I feel a bit hard to place. For some weird reason it had me thinking a couple times that it reminded me of Dark Souls, which feels ridiculous for something like this, I think this included the spoiler[dragon and mushroom monster], maybe part of a Japanese flare of standard western fantasy. I think that I will give them both a rating of Very good (8/10), which I put down to some of its unavoidable problems, but super charming.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
^
Sucy is my favourite also. As I recall, she's also Akane the Catgirl's. I wonder if it's because she's a little odd for an anime character, or "creepy", as you say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
So yesterday and today I marathoned the rest of Ushio and Tora. Wow, they actually set up the final battle well and improved the animation, then starting at episode 34 there were so many detour subplots that you have to stop and ask "why the hell wasn't this covered earlier?" I've seen people complaining that the pacing is too fast back in season 1 and honestly I think they're on to something; rather than being too fast the people working on the adaption aren't cutting things OUT. Half the minor characters are pretty useless and most of the subplots can easily be ignored. In fact if you cut down enough of the filler you could compact this series from three to two courses. Do I think this anime is still excellent? Yes, but it has problems, well executed problems, but problems nonetheless. After I finish the last episode maybe I'll finally rip into Macross Delta. Cool

After that I took on a short OVA called Jellyfish Diner. You'd think there would be more to it than just jellyfish in the scenery and a guy having transparent skin, but nope. You know a slice of life anime has little to offer when a twin commits suicide and it is brushed off in minutes. I'd spoil that except there is barely plot to speak of, things kind of just happen. I'd call it bad due to slow pacing, but the art and animation looked pretty enough for me to call it okay. Sometimes looking good is enough. Razz

Now to wait for Gaiking's DiscoTek subs to hit the web! One of these days I should review that Ginguiser series /m/ keeps talking about. Or an anime series entirely in RAW; I mean one that isn't an Ultra entry and has more episodes than a regular OVA. Or Symphogear. Or Moony Sailors of the 90s that are now Crystal.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching The Rolling Girls. Those multi-colored, comic-style effects from the girls' powered-up attacks gave me quite a psychedelic trip! Smile
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
So a few days ago I took on Venus Wars and it was excellent! Could have been fantastic if Sue's hair color would remain consistent and distance shots didn't have character faces looking derpy, but any movie with SEVEN action scenes gets a solid rating in my book. Cool After that was Monster episode 7 aka the one where Dr. Tenma acts like an idiot by not realizing he wasn't traveling in a cop car or notice any siren lights on top of it. Smooth. Rolling Eyes I'm convinced this series has no idea what it is trying to plagiarize.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of UBW 2014, why is it that on the DVD release, it gets some extra (unnecessary) scenes like expanding monologues, while Fate/Zero's 300 dollar blu-rays have no such scenes!? There was plenty in the Fate/Zero novel that didn't make it to TV! I'd loved to have seen it
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
^
Wait. There's even more monologues? I suppose it could have been worse - they could have increased the Shirou/Archer dialogues. They were the 2nd worst thing about the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
^

I remember there being more of that in the DVD to the point that some episodes were 3 minutes longer than usual.

My biggest gripe is Gilgamesh's monologue about how the Holy Grail gave him a physical body. In the show, it was already a little weirdly placed, but now, he leaves in the part about how he's been taking mana from orphans to stay strong despite it being unnecessary.

It already seemed a little forced in the original visual novel, but at least Shirou went to the basement of the church and saw the drained orphans for himself before it was explained. Here, he just brings it up as a passing thought as if to say "By the way, I'm evil." It doesn't even feel like something he would bring up without being asked. My main issue is that they use these DVD-exclusive scenes for expanding exposition instead of adding in an interesting thing. Expanding a fight, adding a fight (I'm still a little disappointed that Rin vs Kirei didn't happen), or putting in a flashback of a servant's backstory. With all the extra scenes combined, none of them were entertaining or interesting. There's no excuse for not putting in something for Archer's backstory or Gilgamesh's backstory, since this is their most prominent route.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm still mad they just did a tease of Lancer vs Caster and we only get to see the result.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Starting with Monster ep 8, so surgeon head's daughter likes getting drunk.... Kind of acts like filler, in fact if you cut the fat out of this and the previous episode it could have made it all one episode. Gotta admit in terms of suspense it doesn't have much of anything; only thing else worth commenting on is hand typing inspector reminds me of Waluigi.

Everything else is 4 eps in including Overlord, Karneval, Akame ga Kill, and Angelic Layer.... And all of them are tolerable.... Yeah, I have nothing.... Finally there is good old Ushio and Tora which ended on a nice final battle that was kind of typical yet resolved just fine. Well, at least it tried being consistent, the final battle is up there, lead up hindered it sadly. Sad

Errinundra wrote:
Wait. There's even more monologues?

Isn't that what Type Moon anime are though? Yes I'm including Tsukihime and the first Fate/Stay series. That reminds me, I need to rip and tear into eroge adaptions again at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 909 of 1062