• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
^

First of all, there's a Tsukihime anime? (Old joke, but I couldn't resist).

Yeah, Nasu admittedly doesn't know how to make his wordy novels into good adaptations because he doesn't know how to exposition properly. Even my favorite anime of all time, Fate/Zero, suffers from this a bit. Kara no Kyoukai (the best thing from Nasu without the help of Urobuchi, IMO) is known for being boring as hell. I fall asleep watching some of the earlier films pretty easily.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
So I finally got around to watching To Love-Ru Darkness. I always found the To Love-Ru series to be pretty meh (expect for that 1st season's super awesome opening). Just the same tropes being used over and over again, and the original series was very repeatitive and episodic in nature (at least I think it was? Has been quite a few years since I saw it). It took me like years to find the motivation to finally watch Motto To Love-Ru. At that point Darkness had already aired. Since Motto To Love-Ru didn't really impress me either, it took me a long time to get into the mood to watch Darkness to get my Mikan fix. Yeah weirdly (and creepily) Mikan was always my favourite To Love-Ru character, but after having seen Darkness I'm not so sure anymore. Yami and Momo are definitely very high on my list now.

I was actually surprised. It's not bad. I feel like Darkness delves into its characters a lot more deeply. While the fan service does get amped up quite a bit, the rest of the show is a lot more serious this time around. Rea is a pretty interesting character and Golden Darkness gets a lot of developement. Small touches like how Lala looks after her two little sisters, how Run struggles with gender switching and how Momo isn't as ready for sex as she thought she was, friendships between Mikan and Yami as well as Rea and Nana make this show a lot more engaging. It's not a great show, absolutely not, but it's a worthwhile watch. Rating wise it's quite close to good, but I'll give it decent.

Not sure if I'll go straight to the OVAs and the 2nd season. I think I'll try to force myself to finish reading Deadman Wonderland first and then think what I'll start watching next. I gotta watch GoT's new season at some point and I'm also watching House of Cards so I'm not sure if I wanna start watching any extra anime yet, expect for the new summer season shows that I'll follow weekly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
I just finished the up till now current airing Three Leaves, Three Colors (Sansha Sanyō), but since there is no official discussion I thought that I could post my thoughts here. Figures not enough for its own discussion, it was not a really big series, could probably be described as very middle ground CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Things), but despite that I found it very watchable. The best character was definitely Sonobe, the young looking expressionless maid who is spoiler[really in her thirties and jokingly dark and manipulative.] In general I feel a little that it was this sort of joking side with silly little dark elements that made it quite funny, and it always felt like girls were in on the joke that they are not entirely at the mercy of dark themes and were just as likely to switch to something really cute. Well they were kind of at the mercy of one thing, spoiler[Teru's sister, Kou, who was ironically the show's nicest character].

Facourite moments include things like the school festival, which had Youko taking part in a class spoiler[ghost house]. Youko obviously could not get into the right type of character, spoiler[getting out of acting proper], but what she did spoiler[get was a makeup job so good the show had to censor it]. There was a fine mix of silly cute and silly "creepy", that just made it an easy watch, not being too boring, yet no too high stakes.

It did take me a bit at the beginning to get into it because I thought it might devolve, but it in general worked quite well, and if I had to put another complaint it would be that it was moving a bit quick at the beginning and relying on understanding of common tropes to understand some characters. Overall I would rate it Decent (6/10), and then I would say it might be high on that in being a good decent anime.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Finished episode 9 of Selector Spread Wixoss. Though I think I preferred season 1 overall so far, season 2 isn't as weird/stupid/jarring/inconsistent as I heard. If season 1 could most clearly be compared to Madoka Magica, season 2 is mostly similar to Princess Tutu in the plot twists, tone, and general feel of how things go. Hell, Mayu even turns out to be this show's spoiler[Drosselmeyer]. I enjoyed Chiyori and El Dora now that they got a chance to have a tangible presence in this season. Their presence reminds me of a reverse Rider and Waver from Fate/Zero. Urith's relationship with Akira is amusing and twisted. I love her manipulation and how Akira responds to realizing the falseness of this "love" Urith offers. A few elements I thought were a bit forced like Yuzuki and Hitoe's refusal to let Ruko battle (honestly guys, she has no losses and we've seen that when the Eternal Girl offer comes up, the LRIG or Selector can just back out of it by botching the oath), and overall the tone was lighter than season one's. There were less plot twists, with the only interesting ones being Tama becoming Urith's new LRIG and the ones involving Mayu, Shiro, and Kuro. Aside from that, the things involving the author of the Wixoss book were a bit interesting (I'm a bit of a sucker for Flashback episodes), and Urith's backstory was amusing. Nice to know that she's a sort of mix of Gilgamesh and Kirei Kotomine from Fate.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I marathoned Karneval. Gotta like how eps 5, 6, and 11 decided to just take a break from the plot for no reason (drugs give you wings and protecting the president's son is super serial business!). This series probably would have worked better as a pair of movies but someone on staff decided to make it a one course series instead. Top that off with a sort of bland cast and.... Eh, the production values and adorable animals are still there even if the animation looks like it cut corners once in a while, so I consider it great nonetheless. I also noticed people get tied up every other episode. Laughing

Before that though I watched Monster episode 9 and if there is any indication this series has filler (and "Yohan's presence being felt every episode" claim is full of bull) this would be a strong indication. Yes, stop the plot to show how Dr. Tenma got a gun from some soldier and use an interrogation scene with inspector not-Waluigi as an excuse! Yeah that's sarcasm. What? He looks like him, totally not faked at all!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099

Please be advised that the Monster series is quite – and uncharacteristically – faithful to the manga. Episode #9 shows the transition from Tenma the healer to Tenma the would-be killer.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Currently Keeping Up With:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Macross Delta
Flying Witch

All have just been flat-out enjoyable to me.

Currently Streaming:
Last Exile
Blood, Blockade, Battlefront
Bleach

Last Exile came out at a time I wasn't watching much TV due to Real Life, so I've only just now managed to get around to it. Blood Blockade Battlefront I somehow missed when it came out last year, but a friend recommended it so I gave it a try. Interest in Bleach comes and goes, but I'm slowly going through the entire series.

Recently Finished:
Toradora
MM!
Noucome (yeah, I've hit something of a high school romcom phase)

Toradora was well worth the time. As for MM! and Noucome... they were amusing but not memorably so. Not regretting the time spent watching them, but don't feel the need to re-watch either.

Gradually Rewatching:
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Galaxy Express 999

I came into anime in the early 1980s with Sunrise shows and Leiji Matsumoto. I'll probably go out doing the same.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
shows the transition from Tenma the healer to Tenma the would-be killer.

And after seeing episode 10 he doesn't transition well, further cementing the filler-ness. On a side note on Monster, wow does everyone have huge foreheads. Plus this one guy shows up with rat teeth, who was the character designer for this? It makes taking this seriously not as easy.

As for the other stuff I'm watching it consists of Overlord being boring again, Chobits being steady, and Akame ga Kill having glasses bimbo be clumsy- Oh snap Esdeath showed up finally! Lets see how long Night Raid can keep their skulls attached to their spines. Cool
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
^

I disagree with the show having a "filler" problem. In its 74 run, I would say that only three or four episodes feel worthless and unneeded (one of which being Tenma and Dieter's run-in with the British couple, which I admit, I skip on rewatch, and another is the one where Tenma helps a fellow doctor operate on a policeman's stubborn mom), but the rest all contributed to someone's character arc, developed relevant emotions or relationships for characters, or revealed some information to the audience. Even things with characters who I didn't feel interested in were relevant to the story in some way (did I really need to know what happened to the cops Johan manipulated early on? Was Karl really in need of becoming a semi-main character prior to the library fire?). I didn't like all the characters or events, but the things that feel unimportant are still great for relating to the characters. Plus, I feel it adds a bit of realism. If you were in Tenma's situation, there would be things happening in between each major reveal you find on Johan and each influential person you meet along the way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, you have to understand that because Monster is so highly regarded, DuelGundam is honor-bound to find fault with it to show us the error of our ways. Smile
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina wrote:
DuelGundam is honor-bound to find fault with it to show us the error of our ways.

Laughing Alright, I admit it, that legitimately made me laugh out loud in real life. It's kind of true since I am a relativist, but I have enjoyed regarded anime (NGE and 80s Ghibli movies) and slammed the obscure (Skull Man and Gargoyle of Yoshinaga House), if I am honor bound by anything it is my gut feelings and desire to return to places. The real challenge is finding anime that are neither considered fandom classics nor bottom barrel, finding in-betweens are quite hard (especially when your spanning as many genres as possible to cover!). I've seen 90% of the stuff that premiered in SRW games so mecha is no issue and I've seen every referenced anime on Monster Archives that isn't Haruhi Shoe Zoo Me Uh, finding anime not in my comfort zone that fits that description is hard.... Then I discovered a guy from DeviantArt that uploads murals of anime scenes, got creeped out a tad, then realized that "hey, this guy's works would make me a perfect list of what I'm looking for!" It worked and I found legitimately hidden gems, but every time I feel like taking on a series from that list I come to the sad realization God Mazinger will never be subbed in my lifetime. Sad Add to that wanting to increase my achievement levels on MAL and you get what you see.

So yeah, now you all know where I get ideas to take on various anime, it's not just finding something with a strong consensus and testing to find the truth in it. After all, 1001 Nights is my favorite anime of all time and that got some praise. If it helps any there will be a few anime titles I'll never review: Mostly stop motion shorts, SYD, C3 (thank you /a/ for that disturbing thumb bending by ropes gif), anime on video game disks (not special/fan/bonus disks), and pretty much any hentai ever.
Louis wrote:
prior to the library fire?

Well now I have something to look forward to. Cool
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Finished watching Dagashi Kashi this morning. It was a thrilling experience! Smile Hotaru's huge enthusiasm for dagashi has kept me excited the entire throughout the entire show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Well now I have something to look forward to. Cool

Yeah, the library fire (and the story arc that it takes place in overall) is the best part of Monster and contains at least 2 scenes that I'd argue to be top moments in anime spoiler[being Johan looking into Schuwald's eyes and Johan walking into the fire as Tenma prepares to shoot him]. I won't say much about it for fear of spoilers, but I believe it takes place in episodes 35-37 or so. Look forward to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Another recent series finished and no official forum thread for it (outside of the review area), this one was Shōnen Maid. It was generally okay with some funny stuff here and there, although I don't think it was as good as it could have been, although I think it was because it might not have met my general sensibility, or some other fitting word. Maybe it felt a bit like I was not sure why I was watching it?

I give it a rating of So-so (5/10). I liked the ED, it was catchy, but before the characters in it were introduced it felt a bit irrelevant, and the characters really were not that big in it. Also it felt like it was working up to a plot where spoiler[his grandmother would consider taking him in], but it never really became a story, which it a little bare in terms of drama. Last episode a bit of a weird spoiler[ghost thing].
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Just finished Death Parade, and I have to say, I'm on the fence between Excellent, and Masterpiece. I settled for excellent though. It lacked that extra push into being one of my personal favorites despite me enjoying it a lot at its best. There were too many slow parts (particularly any episode where there wasn't an arbiter game being played). Without spoiling too much, I found the last episode to be sweet, but strangely empty on a personal level. Still, the show is deep, yet simple enough that I don't need to be familiar with a bunch of Japanese symbolism or anything to follow it. Even the oneshot characters are easy to connect with by the end of their stories. This show just needed to be a little longer or flesh out the final story arc more for it to become a masterpiece in my eyes. Admittedly, the main story wasn't as fun to me as the episodic parts were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 910 of 1061