• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Fate/stay night episodes 17, 18, and 19.
I am definitely enjoying it and it was interesting enough to make me sit through three episodes, but it is also a bit boring, as contradictory as that seems. I think that it is because of the fighting.

I am interested in the events that lead up to the fight, who does the fighting, and the outcome. But during the actual fight I just want it to be over. For me several short fights are better than one or two long fights.
This show is also following the pattern where defeating an enemy just wins you the chance to fight a stronger enemy. I was never fond of that but it is helping to keep things interesting.

Rin and Saber made a good team again, but it was much too brief. They need to get together and dump Shirou. He has gotten much better, but he is just in the way of the two characters who should be the main focus of the show, in my opinion.
That might not make a good story though. If Rin was Saber's master they probably would have beaten the others so quickly that the show would have lasted for only two or three episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
^

Agreed, especially with the poor execution of the fights. It doesn't get that much better in UBW to be honest. It's really just clash parry dodge punch kick until someone actually wins.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
So yeah, Monster, ep 15, now this series is trying to be a gangster movie because why stick to anything? I also like how this right wing party thinks Johan is somehow the next Hitler despite not knowing anything about him and has little in common with him (IE he has not demonstrated xenophobia or homophobia, hated a middle-eastern religion, thrived on American manifest destiny from the 1800s, fought in a war, took inspiration from Native American genocide, likes children's books, or has micro genitles) The guy has more in common with Genghis Kahn based on what little we've seen, it's almost like the people writing this didn't do their research. You can't just label "next x because charisma", way more factors go into it than that.

This has also been bugging me, why the childish drawings in the ending theme?
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Be patient, my son. It gets explained.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I finished Fate/stay night and it was a bit of a disappointment, but just a bit. The last five episodes were rather enjoyable, except for the fights.

The fights were not bad, but they seemed to go on forever. The seemingly endless repetitive fighting was bad enough, but the talking was even worse.
Those final boss types just ramble on and on and on . . . [much later] . . . and on and on. It seemed like the only time that they stopped talking was to pause for a few minutes of insane laughter.
Also, it seemed like the fighters on both sides kept pulling weapons and abilities out of their nether regions.
But I guess that most fighting shows are like this, which is one reason why I do not watch many of them.

I was not really satisfied with the ending.
I do not hate it and would not call it a bad ending, but it was just not what I wanted.

Despite the negative comments I did like the show as a whole, mostly because of Rin and Saber, and am glad that I watched it.
However, I had been planning to rate it Very Good, but now I am going to drop it down to Good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Also, it seemed like the fighters on both sides kept pulling weapons and abilities out of their nether regions.

Well spoiler[Gilgamesh can do that because all kinds of weapons are stored inside the Gate of Babylon. For Shirou there's a reason why he could summon Avalon. I believe this was revealed in the show, kind of, that Avalon was inside Shirou the whole time. That's why he summoned King Arthur (because Avalon acted as catalyst), I think.]

Besides I thought that the battle spoiler[between Saber and Gil was super awesome. With Unmei no Yoru in the backround that awesome moment when Saber slashes Gil was the most memorable moment in the show for me:

- Ex...
- Enuma Eli-
- ...caliber!!!]

Or I don't know. Saber and Shirou spoiler[yelling "Its name is... Avalon!"] in unison was equally awesome.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm 20 episodes into watching Cardcaptor Sakura [from Animax]. The surprising relations between Syaoran and Meiling were totally hilarious! Laughing It was like watching a grown-up couple having a petty fight.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
it's almost like the people writing this didn't do their research.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have you noticed they've been changing?

This is 74 episodes. You haven't even gotten half of the questions yet, let alone any of the answers. As louis said, be patient.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Besides I thought that the battle spoiler[between Saber and Gil was super awesome. With Unmei no Yoru in the backround that awesome moment when Saber slashes Gil was the most memorable moment in the show for me:

- Ex...
- Enuma Eli-
- ...caliber!!!]

Or I don't know. Saber and Shirou spoiler[yelling "Its name is... Avalon!"] in unison was equally awesome.

As cool as I find Fate in general, the name-calling (especially Saber's) was always cringe-worthy for me. Maybe it's just the bad English pronunciation. EXUCARIBAH just makes me laugh.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
As cool as I find Fate in general, the name-calling (especially Saber's) was always cringe-worthy for me. Maybe it's just the bad English pronunciation. EXUCARIBAH just makes me laugh.

Usually I think it's kinda silly (particularly in the more serious Fate/zero) but in that moment it's awesome how she interrupts Gil. What slightly ruined that moment was Shirou trying join in the fun by yelling "Kotomine... KIREI!!" and then completely mispronouncing "läßt (lässt)."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
im watching Naruto Shippuden episode 465 Very Happy
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I finished Fate/stay night and it was a bit of a disappointment, but just a bit. The last five episodes were rather enjoyable, except for the fights.

The fights were not bad, but they seemed to go on forever. The seemingly endless repetitive fighting was bad enough, but the talking was even worse.
Those final boss types just ramble on and on and on . . . [much later] . . . and on and on. It seemed like the only time that they stopped talking was to pause for a few minutes of insane laughter.
But I guess that most fighting shows are like this, which is one reason why I do not watch many of them.

I was not really satisfied with the ending.
I do not hate it and would not call it a bad ending, but it was just not what I wanted.

Despite the negative comments I did like the show as a whole, mostly because of Rin and Saber, and am glad that I watched it.
However, I had been planning to rate it Very Good, but now I am going to drop it down to Good.

You know, despite all your complaints and my relative praise, I give F/SN 2006 a "decent." If it wasn't animated by DEEN, it'd probably be a "Good." The final battles have more weight in future routes, where the villains are given somewhat more depth (particularly in Heaven's Feel, but the anime version of UBW does give Gilgamesh more than the original VN did). I highly recommend going on to Unlimited Blade Works 2014 and then Fate/Zero or, if it's out by then, Heaven's Feel.

On a sidenote, Kirei Kotomine is one of my all time favorite villains, but you don't really see why until Heaven's Feel (or Fate/Zero).
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Personally I'd advise to watch the stuff in the order they aired. To me that's the most logical choice. Don't watch the UBW movie though. But one can do whatever they want.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I typically think that's the way to go, but with this franchise, they messed up the order of release. Fate/Zero is meant to be the ABSOLUTE last thing you watch with regards to the Fate franchise (or at least the original Fate/Stay Night paths). Certain things it reveals are meant to be plot twists to the original routes (such as spoiler[Rin and Sakura being sisters] or spoiler[Sakura's involvement with magic]). While UBW isn't exactly hard to follow if you watch Fate/Zero just prior, it's a terrible followup to Fate/Zero and I'd argue that it's the worst to follow Fate/Zero with in terms of the three routes. The Fate path resolves Saber's story arc, gives her some closure with Gilgamesh's unfinished battle, allows Shirou to become a hero by defeating his father's arch nemesis, and even brings the old Azoth Dagger into play. Heaven's Feel is the ONLY route to address Sakura's suffering, and it's a perfect conclusion to Kirei's character arc which was started by Fate/Zero, not to mention making Shirou confront tough choices not unlike his father did. Plus, it's Illya's most prominent route, giving people who were curious about the legacy of Kiritsugu's and Irisviel's love some sort of pleasant closure.

If you truly insist on going the "watch everything in order" way, I won't say you're wrong, but I will say that I'd recommend saving Fate/Zero for last regardless. At the very least, watch Unlimited Blade Works before it, since I actually do think Heaven's Feel is a great followup to Fate/Zero.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
But UBW TV series is the sequel to Fate/zero!!! /s Razz My impression is that there is a certain expectation to have seen Fate/zero when you go into the UBW TV series since both are by the same studio. However I think the most important thing is to start off with the 2006 series, whether you'll watch UBW or Fate/zero from there isn't as important. I felt like the 2006 show treats the viewer a bit more like a newbie to the Fate franchise while the ufotable shows expect you to be a bit familiar with that franchise. Besides if you start off with the 2006 Deen version then you can go from that subpar animation to the godlike ufotable animation and not the other way around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 916 of 1062