Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hikari14



Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 823
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I am curios, who are your favorite couples and why?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine is the one depicted on my avatar, spoiler[Wave] and spoiler[Kurome] from spoiler[Akame ga Kill]. When I first watched the anime, I thought of them of annoying obstacles who stood in the way of the 'heroes'. But then I stumbled onto a certain manga scene, and it moved me. When I rewatched the anime afterwards, I saw them in a whole different light, and they became my favorite. His spoiler[dedication towards her to the point of giving up his dreams for her sake] and her spoiler[desire to see his dreams come to fruition] is just so sweet.


Last edited by Hikari14 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure who those are - my guess is Wave (I think that was his name?) and Akame's sister from Akame ga Kill? You could've posted the names and series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hikari14



Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 823
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nitpicking isn't the purpose of this thread. Kindly stay on topic instead of doing such. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3080
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
YAY SHIPPIN. Anime hyper

I have eleven top favorite couples....but I'll choose my number 1:

TakutoxMitsuki from Full Moon Wo Sagashite

Reasons:

spoiler[MitsukixTakuto is just......beautiful. It feels so perfect. HE WAS IN HER DAD'S BAND!!! If that's not destiny, I don't know what is. And they are so devoted to each other. I'm really a sucker when it comes to the "I love you so much that I'd die for you in an instant" formula. And these two really really connect. They're perfect at reading each other. Mitsuki can see right through him and he can see right through HER. The way they bicker is great. They're so damn cute. Seriously, there is not a cuter couple that exists. They bring out the best in each other. Takuto taught Mitsuki to love herself and when he is around her, he's much kinder and more gentle. Around Meroko, he's just annoyed. Around Hikari, he's uncertain and doesn't have faith in her. But around Mitsuki, he's a total sweetheart. His reasons for loving Mitsuki are very righteous. The manga states that he became charmed by her pure heart and he reflects the very same purity underneath the attitude and the pride issues. Anime hyper]

I'm so not done

spoiler[AND TAKUTO FREAKING DESERVES HER, MAN!! He does everything for her. It's just give give give! Even when he knew she was obsessed with stupidEichi, that didn't get in the way, oh no. Sure he griped about it-and who wouldn't, given the circumstances? But actions speak so much louder than words. And all he wanted was her happiness. That is LOVE.

On Mitsuki's side, Takuto is the best match for her because he has had the most positive influence on her. He is the reason why she didn't completely lose herself in the darkness. Because every time she got discouraged, he was always able to pick her up. A true relationship means getting strength and support from one another. This couple does exactly that.]


And a little more:

spoiler[Some say Mitsuki's returned love is very random or rushed but I disagree. I think she has loved him all along and just didn't realize it because she was chasing after a fantasy, thus would not let herself to think about it. Both manga and anime show prime examples of this if you pay close attention to her reactions. She felt guilty over Eichi's death and thought it would be wrong to open her heart to someone else. Simply put, she was just afraid. But in the end, she overcame many trials and gained the courage to get over her fear and her sorrow and allowed another to heal her broken heart.

This couple's formula is not that cliche. I think having an older guy step in is great. It's interesting, it's cute, it's deliciously a bit...risque, yes, but that makes it exciting. I love how as mature and tough as Takuto is, he's completely marshmallow in Mitsuki's hands. Anime hyper It's WIN! All she has to do is smile sweetly and he falls apart. It's a riot.
Lastly, their love is obviously incredibly strong because they DEFIED FATE.]


I love writing about these two ♥ I've been obsessing over them for 14 years. It's probably weird. Oh well. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heishi



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 275
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Himeko and Chikane.

Because its the first couple that I felt had actual chemistry and the romance actually felt real and engaging. Nuff said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raftina



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 2917
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Are we allowed to criticize any of the couples posted? Because I have some thoughts whenever I see someone expressing a preference for Himeko x Chikane.

I actually do not have a favorite couple of all time, because my favorite tends to change as I watch new anime. So I will tell you about my favorite couple(s) of 2016.

First up: Hayate x Freyja from Macross Delta

Forget the romanticized notion of opposite attract. Opposites fit well only to the extent that they complement each other--a rare combination in anime scripts. Hayate x Freyja is a prime example of birds of a feather who nevertheless complement each other well.

Consider Hayate: A decent battloid pilot who is not particularly talented at flying a plane. With Freyja's song inspiring him--and with a healthy amount of magical girl powered fold waves, he easily becomes a match for one of the best pilots in the sector.

Consider Freyja: An aspiring singer who is not quite sure of her fitness among the famous Walkure squad. But when she sees Hayate in need, she finds courage and sings to her heart's content. The greatest example of might be episode 13, when she dives headlong off a spaceship to deliver her song.

And it is not just that they inspire each other to greater heights. Their minds think alike, each a carefree soul who wants to fulfill their dreams, and each an idealist who is willing to stand up to the galaxy to realize their ideals. But it is not only in the great dreams that they are alike--even in the little gestures, they are alike. And their conversations flow naturally as water, with a health bit of mutual sniping borne of two people who trust each other implicitly.

Second up is a pairing that just ended this year, though it has been going strong for 3 years by then.

I am not entirely sure why I like amourshipping so much. Perhaps it is simply a matter of timing: I skipped gens 2-5 and jumped straight to 6, but that does not explain everything, as I was not a fan of pokeshipping.


Last edited by Raftina on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3080
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Are we allowed to criticize anyof the couples posted? Because I have some thoughts whenever I see someone expressing a preference for Himeko x Chikane.


Shocked OMG AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.

I detest, loathe, hate, and despise that ship with every fiber of my being. Twisted Evil spoiler[ It's unhealthy, forced, poorly written, and above all, freaking abusive.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vaisaga



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 10844
Location: Windsor Ontario
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Are we allowed to criticize anyof the couples posted? Because I have some thoughts whenever I see someone expressing a preference for Himeko x Chikane.


So long as it stays civilized and doesn't devolve into a ship war it should be fine.

I also don't like Himeko/Chikane, though I do cut Chikane a lot more slack than I do HiME Shizuru. Chikane acted on her desire to protect Himeko while Shizuru acted out of twisted lust.

Himeko had a nice thing going with Souma for a while there and I never really got the impression she had feelings for Chikane outside of friendship and admiration. But then they pull that past lives BS which I have a particular hate for. So you were with this person in your past life? So what? It's your current life that matters! Himeko has to love Chikane because her past life did? Screw that.

Kaon/Himiko I can get behind.

Now from what I just said about reincarnation romance you might find it odd that one of my favourite couples in recent memory is Amata/Mikono from Aquarion Evol. Them turning out to be reincarnated lovers hardly matters. The show makes it clear that they like each other for who they are now, not who they used to be. Kagura's the one who's obsessed with Mikono only because she's his "Sylvie" and it doesn't get him very far.

I like how their meeting was so normal, especially by anime standards. No over the top coincidences or bread in mouth, just two people meeting at a movie theater and finding common ground with an obscure movie they both like. They bond further over their harsh upbringings while still being foils: Amata suffered because he had powers, Mikono suffered because she didn't have powers. They continue to gradually open up to each other during the rest of the series, like Mikono being the only one Amata tells about his mother.

Mikono does have a tsundere streak but that mostly comes out when Amata does something stupid, like helping Andy dig a hole into the women's locker room. Most of that stems from Mikono's inferiority complex as she's worried Amata might lose interest in her. Still, it is kind of nice that it takes more than a half hearted apology to get her to forgive him while a weaker willed harem blob might wont to do. That she has worries and concerns that have nothing to do with Amata makes her a better character overall too.

It's a shame all the fans hate her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Raftina



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 2917
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
I find Chikane to be a creepy, obsessive yandere who needs a restraining order--the same opinion I have of Homura. Himeko would have been much better off with the devoted and considerate Souma. And it was not as if she did not like him. She just had this inexplicable need to be with Chikane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Hikari14



Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 823
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Raftina wrote:
Are we allowed to criticize anyof the couples posted? Because I have some thoughts whenever I see someone expressing a preference for Himeko x Chikane.


So long as it stays civilized and doesn't devolve into a ship war it should be fine.

I also don't like Himeko/Chikane, though I do cut Chikane a lot more slack than I do HiME Shizuru. Chikane acted on her desire to protect Himeko while Shizuru acted out of twisted lust.

Himeko had a nice thing going with Souma for a while there and I never really got the impression she had feelings for Chikane outside of friendship and admiration. But then they pull that past lives BS which I have a particular hate for. So you were with this person in your past life? So what? It's your current life that matters! Himeko has to love Chikane because her past life did? Screw that.

Kaon/Himiko I can get behind.

Now from what I just said about reincarnation romance you might find it odd that one of my favourite couples in recent memory is Amata/Mikono from Aquarion Evol. Them turning out to be reincarnated lovers hardly matters. The show makes it clear that they like each other for who they are now, not who they used to be. Kagura's the one who's obsessed with Mikono only because she's his "Sylvie" and it doesn't get him very far.

I like how their meeting was so normal, especially by anime standards. No over the top coincidences or bread in mouth, just two people meeting at a movie theater and finding common ground with an obscure movie they both like. They bond further over their harsh upbringings while still being foils: Amata suffered because he had powers, Mikono suffered because she didn't have powers. They continue to gradually open up to each other during the rest of the series, like Mikono being the only one Amata tells about his mother.

Mikono does have a tsundere streak but that mostly comes out when Amata does something stupid, like helping Andy dig a hole into the women's locker room. Most of that stems from Mikono's inferiority complex as she's worried Amata might lose interest in her. Still, it is kind of nice that it takes more than a half hearted apology to get her to forgive him while a weaker willed harem blob might wont to do. That she has worries and concerns that have nothing to do with Amata makes her a better character overall too.

It's a shame all the fans hate her.


Speaking of reincarnation couples, there is also spoiler[Luka] and spoiler[Yuki] from spoiler[Betrayal Knows My Name]. spoiler[Their past forms were a girl and a boy, but now they are both boys.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiibi



Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3080
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Yesssss SoumaxHimeko is love ♥ I said I had 11 top ships? They rank there at #3. Anime smile

Quote:
I find Chikane to be a creepy, obsessive yandere who needs a restraining order

SHE IS. Also a Mary-Sue. She's one of my most hated characters in all of media.

Quote:
Himeko had a nice thing going with Souma for a while there and I never really got the impression she had feelings for Chikane outside of friendship and admiration. But then they pull that past lives BS which I have a particular hate for. So you were with this person in your past life? So what? It's your current life that matters! Himeko has to love Chikane because her past life did? Screw that.

RIGHT!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 2194
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I really like romance (everything is better with romance), but I'm not sure I have a particular favourite couple or anything. Raftina mentioned Macross Delta's Hayate x Freyja which would probably be one of my favourites from this year at least. I would have also wanted to see more Kaname x Messer though.

I guess one of my favourites is actually from a manga, Gantz. The anime doesn't get that far. [minor manga spoilers] spoiler[There's a cute girl called Tae who becomes Kurono's main love interest. She's kind, brave and has a slightly... kinky side too... and becomes the single most important thing in the world for Kurono. Kurono fights to survive so that he can return to her side.]

There's also Yuuta x Rikka from Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! They are simply adorable together. One of my favourites scenes from thespoiler[ show is when Yuuta saves Rikka from falling]. That moment really shows how much they care for each other. Makes me overloaded with good feels.

There's a lot more and these aren't necessarily my favourites of all time or anything. Probably any show that I really liked and had romance in it could be listed here.

Maybe I could mention Hatsukoi Limited, Enomoto x Kusuda. It's a fairly typical scenario where the two don't get along at first. spoiler[They start to get closer, but Enomoto's tsundere personality kinda gets in the way of things (though Kusuda isn't blameless either, far from it). Her tsuntsun moments eventually cause Kusuda to vent his frustration on Enomoto who just tearfully responds with a quiet "I'm sorry". Makes me break out a tear too. It's my favourite moment in the show. Kusuda realizes he went too far while Enomoto realizes that her moody behaviour really hurt Kusuda's feelings.] Tsundere's are among my favourite stereotypes, but I wish they'd have these moments of self-awareness more often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 11900
Location: Skyhold
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Nitpicking isn't the purpose of this thread. Kindly stay on topic instead of doing such. :/

Kindly leave moderating to the actual moderators. Killjoy is actually right, this is not going to be a list thread. If you want to post who your favorite anime couples are you are expected to post why they are. As for criticizing couples people pick everyone needs to stick to the couples. Do not insult the poster for their pick. You don't have to agree with their choices but if you disagree then you best do so civilly. If people just start arguing over ships or listing names this thread will get locked real quickly.

Now personally I would have to say my 2 favorite anime couples has always been Belldandy & Keichi from Oh My Goddess and Kaoru & Aoi from Ai Yori Aoishi. Both for much of the same reasons.

The biggest criticism both Aoi and Bell get from people is that they are door mats. They're the typical passive waifu and have no backbone or characters. I admit at the start both do come off as such characters in the shows. Which is part of the point. They both progress as characters. They both become more sure of themselves and more assertive. In both shows while they have harem aspects neither show is a harem in the traditional sense. It's clear from the start in both series that Aoi and Bell are the love interest. period. Sure the other girls try to become the love of Kei and Kaoru but you never really believe for a second that they will succeed. The other girls eventually come to respect the relationships and affections they have for each other. During the course of both shows as the other female characters, and plot elements, create trouble or distress for the couples both Bell and Aoi become more sure of themselves. Their affection for Kei and Kaoru deepen and becomes much more genuine. They evolve within the relationship and learn to stand up for what they want.

Kei and Kaoru do much of the same. Both become more assertive in their own rights and fight to hang onto their love. It's not so much them fighting to earn the love of Bell or Aoi but to keep it. To keep the relationship going or deepen it. They show friendly affection for the other female characters and help them but they never waver in who they love.

Because of this the relationships to me seem more genuine. The relationships, like the characters, grow and evolve. Both couples have to fight to keep and save their love and time together. They also are genuine in their affections. A lot fo times in RomComs I feel the actual relationships and affection can come across as a bit shallow or empty. Where as in both these shows the relationships feel genuine as they evolve. The soft heartfelt moments feel full of emotion and not empty.

Now my favorite platonic "relationship" in anime is hands down Kurau and Christmas in Kurau Phantom Memory. Those sisters go through trial after trial after trial and fight to stay together. Tey are willing to sacrifice everything to stay together. The whole main premise of the show is those 2 fighting to stay together. There's a reason they won our Best Duo Tournament years ago here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 10844
Location: Windsor Ontario
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Belldandy & Keichi from Oh My Goddess


Isn't the problem with that relationship the fact that Belldandy was forced to be with him because of his wish? It's almost like a magical case of Stockholm Syndrome or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
louis6578
Anime isn't real? Nooo...Anime isn't real? Nooo...


Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 922
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Belldandy & Keichi from Oh My Goddess


Isn't the problem with that relationship the fact that Belldandy was forced to be with him because of his wish? It's almost like a magical case of Stockholm Syndrome or something.


Well, no. She wanted to be drafted into it. She had that past relationship with him that he didn't know about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group