• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episodes 11 and 12, which I watched together yesterday, having gotten a week behind, were a tour de force! I really was impressed with the way the story played out. Bringing the older, out of fashion, animator back into the fold was a touching and heartwarming move. It was brilliant!
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Rose Bridges wrote:
Between all the tense negotiations, the show even makes room for comedy, as in the scene with the eccentric animator rambling about clouds that gives this episode its name.

Actually it's the art director asked Kinoshita and Aoi about clouds, not animator. Art directors are the folks responsible for background environment art of anime. Other than showing fantastic scenery, background art plays crucial role on anime because it visually reflect the mood of the scene.

Personally I think the art director scene is pretty deep on its own. A lot of details have to be considered to make effective visual, even a type of cloud can't be overlooked.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a typo. Because you're right, there's no reason the animator rather than art director would be focusing on backgrounds, and it was the art director position that Goth-Loli-sama turned down that they were looking to hire for anyway.

ETA: Fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Ogasawara turned down the character design position. Which is why she then recommended Iguchi to design the characters.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ogasawara turned down the character design position. Which is why she then recommended Iguchi to design the characters.

Yeah, WTH. Goth-Loli is (was) a character designer (that was her ROLE on Exodus). The side-plot with her recommending the new chara design was cool because I found it interesting how someone "becomes" a character designer. I can only assume that the reviewer doesn't have a lot of interest in the anime industry itself and is more interested in being an artist in the abstract, since confusion in the roles of people (that are pretty significant in the episode being reviewed) keeps happening.

While I admit that I can't keep the names straight on a lot of the characters, I have been noting what they do, because it's interesting to follow the inner workings of the studio. Like I can't say the guy's name, but I love that the script-writer respected the research job that Midori did and asked for more help from her (intern-ing?) considering that Midori aspires to the position he holds. It also might become relevant that 3rd Aerial Girls will have a lot of CG animated planes (based on conversations) and Misa just happens to have done a good bit of CG work on vehicles (even though she WANTS to do characters).
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Yeah, that was a typo. Because you're right, there's no reason the animator rather than art director would be focusing on backgrounds, and it was the art director position that Goth-Loli-sama turned down that they were looking to hire for anyway.

ETA: Fixed.

I shouldn't be knit picky about anime industry job titles, but are you even paying attention to the episode? Goth-Loli turned down her position as character designer, not art director.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm just here to point out that the 2nd OP has the main 5 girls flying in the sky, in jets, created in CG, for a Slice-of-Life show. Very Happy
Yep, I got the feeling this show is going to keep its high production values.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It looked like Zuka had a chance, but the anime made it clear during the casting scene that she wasn't going to get the job. That was known before the scene with the girls all together.

Still, it was a twist of letting down expectations for any viewers who thought that "of course" they were all five going to end up working on this show. Though maybe it'll be reversed in the next few episodes, and for some reason Zuka will be called in for a role.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Everytime i get my hopes up for Zuka reality comes crashing down. Man i was crying along with the girls when she said she didn't get the role after everyone else managed to get a job on the show. The show really is at its best in those moments.

I also can't honestly say i couldn't see how that meeting went down not being how these things usually go. No matter how ridiculous it was i can still see it lol.

Laughing

Hoping we get to see more on whats going on with Ema and her apprentice next episode. Hoping it doesn't turn out she is a better animator than Ema though i see that being likely.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
As I watched 3 producers bickering over which voice actor will take main character role, I couldn't help imagining the ugly side of Production Committee or entertainment business in general.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who did not find the part with the producers funny? I really like Shirobako, but that part really grated on my nerves. I wanted to punch each of the three "special interest" producers in the face. The rest of the episode was great. I expect Shizuka to get a VA role on the Arial Girls anime.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
As someone who follows the seiyuu industry very closely and has participated in auditions before, I can say right now that this stuff is true. A lot is not about the voice. It's about the sell-ability. Also, agencies have a lot of power and money in the deal, so they'll promote one name over and over and over and over again (aka Yuuki Kaji, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Kana Hanazawa).

There's a really good quote I've heard. It's "Main seiyuu are decided by auction."
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that was surprised 'Zuka never told the others which anime she was audtitioning for (or they never found out) until AFTER she got let down? Also, for Zuka fans, there WAS a door left open. There were two "experienced" seiyuu in the running one of whome was ruled out for being too busy so the other got the role by "default" (in the meeting as noted here in the thread). BUT, it was noted that the "winning" candidate was "available" on Thursday, but who knows. I love that "Diesel" has a nickname AND that she LIKES it. (or, at least wants to keep it)
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
bravejaf wrote:
Am I the only person who did not find the part with the producers funny? I really like Shirobako, but that part really grated on my nerves. I wanted to punch each of the three "special interest" producers in the face. The rest of the episode was great. I expect Shizuka to get a VA role on the Arial Girls anime.

I think that was the idea, to make them annoying enough for you to want to punch them in the face, but without going overboard so that people can't find it funny at the same time.

Still, it must be a pain to be in one of those meetings, specially if you're on the studio's side, but you still need to hear out the producers' opinions because they are the ones pouring money in.

That was too bad for Zuka. On the other hand, Midori (my favorite girl, a.k.a. Diesel-chan) is starting to get places, and that's pretty great.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
bravejaf wrote:

I think that was the idea, to make them annoying enough for you to want to punch them in the face, but without going overboard so that people can't find it funny at the same time.

Still, it must be a pain to be in one of those meetings, specially if you're on the studio's side, but you still need to hear out the producers' opinions because they are the ones pouring money in.

That was too bad for Zuka. On the other hand, Midori (my favorite girl, a.k.a. Diesel-chan) is starting to get places, and that's pretty great.

For me I think they went over the line you mentioned, but that could vary on a person by person basis. I still greatly enjoy the show and this part does little to diminish that fact. The episode did make me thankful I do not have to work in that type of environment.

I agree with you in regard to Midori, she is one of my favorite characters in the show. I am glad she should be making more regular appearances on the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11