• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
@bravejaf,

I have to congratulate the show for actually making me want to kill the three amigos within around 5 minutes and then keeping that feeling for the rest of their time on screen it was very impressive considering I normally never get that way.

[Edit]: Removed unnecessary quoting. Your post is perfectly fine without it. errinundra.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Man i was really interested in the location scouting stuff. As an architecture student i always wondered if they actually designed the architecture in anime themselves or if they just found a location and used it but my question has been answered.

That cliffhanger is gonna lead to some fun stuff. Right after an episode where things were going so well too. This show just gets more interesting.

Only downside was the other animator girl hanging with Ema was a bit irritating. I've seriously never met anyone like that ever. What was up with her?
kadian1364

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I agree with Rose that this was definitely one of the better explained "behind the scenes" episodes of Shirobako. My opinion of the earlier episodes was that they were revealing about the anime production process, but only decipherable to those already in-the-know. This episode provides the best teaching example into the overall production process I've seen handled within anime itself.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Man i was really interested in the location scouting stuff. As an architecture student i always wondered if they actually designed the architecture in anime themselves or if they just found a location and used it but my question has been answered.

You might be interested in browsing the blogs by Thomas Romain, a French illustrator working at Satelight. This one focuses on Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where the backgrounds represent 19th century Paris. They have strong perspective lines which makes this series look rather different than traditional anime with its "superflat" stylings.

His team also did the illustrations for AKB0048 which has some remarkable architecture.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This episode was alright. The show is really good at mixing character moments with animation explanations, but I thought this episode was a little heavy on the exposition.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree that a mangaka being a control freak can be very bad for the animation creative process (see Kare Kano or SMC for examples); I disagree that in this episode the mangaka was being a jerk. It is only natural to care for your own creation, but it seems painfully obvious to me that the editor has prevented nogame from assisting to any of the meeting we saw in episode 15 so that the weekly(?) manga deadline is met. So the emails were way too brief, which means there was no time for a lengthly e-mail or even time for the mangaka to phrase his feelings about the character designs (which is something hard to put in words, I can say the initial was no good, the second was worst and the final one was great, but it is hard to say why).

Many people are saying P.A. might do The Third Aerial Girls Squad for real, but what they need to do is give goth-loli-sama her own series, not necessarily a baseball themed one,
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the author is necessarily a jerk. Maybe he really is super busy. Maybe he just can't communicate very well because of his lazy editor?

There's also that new "experienced" production guy that seems to annoy everyone and tends to give bad advice and brush everything off. Suggesting to ignore the author's advice completely isn't a good idea.

EDIT: Ah, name was Daisuke Hiraoka. Had to look it up. So many characters in this show.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
You really can't call the manga author the villain in this piece. He is entirely within his rights to raise an objection to some of the details in the adaptation of his work. It would have been better to raise this objection earlier in the pre-production process, sure, but that's not his fault: the editor didn't pass on the initial character design work to him, and just told the production team "I'm sure he'd approve." The manga author likely didn't even get to see them until just before he raised the objection.

That he was a bit scant on helpful information about what was wrong with the character designs doesn't make him a villain either. The director's been similarly vague in his descriptions about how he wants things; the difference here is that other staff members have managed to translate/drag better information out of him to get the job done properly. For the manga author, it's the editor who's best placed to do that, and he failed to do so. The manga author also has his own deadlines to deal with, so isn't really able to sit down and write an essay about what's wrong with it.

The manga author is no villain, just a victim of circumstances, overworked and a poor communicator. Just like the director. The villain in this episode is the editor, who utterly fails to do his job and is more concerned with playing golf than putting work into sorting out a messy situation. Or doing any work at all possibly, given how little he actually did in the previous episode.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
The villain this episode was very clearly the editor in my opinion. He wasn't doing his job as the go-between properly which caused most of the problems between the two parties. It's a good thing he got his comeuppance at the end otherwise i wouldn't have been happy at the end. This was some good character development for Higuchi and Goth Loli-sama. I really liked the insight into the reason why Goth Loli-sama dresses the way she does. Another good episode.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If there is a villain in this one, it's the editor. He's apathetic, and (although I might be reading my own experiences with certain people into him) the epitome of having "failed his way up". No doubt if the show turned out to be late he'd be the first to point the finger at the studio. Maybe even at the creator, but naturally it would never be his fault.

Suddenly I feel like I have some unresolved workplace issues of my own...

I kinda laughed at the vague comments the creator made, though. I don't think it has anything to do with him be malicious or deliberately obtuse, but no doubt he's busy himself, but it can be frustrating trying play mind reader to comments like that.

Having said that, I loved "Goth-Loli"'s (sorry, forgot the the name) back story. I really love the portrayal of the struggles everyone has gone through during the course of their careers, and I like that they show the low points for even the talented characters. I'm following this show week to week right now, but I can't wait to revisit it too.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
moroboshi-kun wrote:
... the editor is the epitome of having "failed his way up"

I think the opposite. The editor has the job he always wanted, that of "the boss", he has assistants that do any real job at the office, he just has to be present at some meetings and has mastered the art of "I have another meeting, funny story". Not to say people at Musashino do not indulge in some gaming during "work hours", but at the very least they are making relationships that might land them future projects, which is essential for their survival. Nogame's editor could be made to disappear by the bear and the pirate girl and no one would say "Hey, we need an extra hand at this office".
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
moroboshi-kun wrote:

I kinda laughed at the vague comments the creator made, though. I don't think it has anything to do with him be malicious or deliberately obtuse, but no doubt he's busy himself, but it can be frustrating trying play mind reader to comments like that.

Yeah, no. As someone who works with art and artists, if I have issues with how something is depicted, I make damn sure I know how to articulate my issues. I'd have a hard time taking an artist seriously if they couldn't even suggest simple changes like "make them look more/less child-like" instead of the basic equivalent of "it's missing a certain je ne sais quoi" *You're* the creator. You should KNOW what that "je ne sai quoi" IS.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Reading the most recent review, touching on women in the anime industry, brought to mind the best line in the current season of Downton Abbey: Mrs. Hughes, "I wish men thought about our needs half as much as we do theirs'."
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree that some of the fantasy sequences went on a bit too long. Though they were nice, both Chucky sequences went on a little too long. Would have prefered more character stuff. I did like though that all the background paintings the ootsuka guy did where actually the work of the same person. Nice to see peeps like that get a little credit.

I really don't know where it's going to end though. Everything seems to be heading to the premier of the Plane Girls show. Wonder what is really left to cover besides the main girls making their anime which i don't think they have time to adequately cover at this point anyway since it may just be repeating material.
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't bring myself to agree with this review.
Personally I found the latest episode of Shirobako to possibly be the greatest so far. It was touching, beautiful and simply taught us so much about the older characters that isn't easy to portray in their modern day interactions. Be it the president, Ookura or Sugie, I felt seeing these characters' pasts brought us a lot closer to them.
10/10 episode for me at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11