• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Your lie in April

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestCoastAnime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
@Wrathful

First of all, learn how to use grammar properly. Second of all, there are quite a number of anime I could recommend with thoughtful takes on serious issues. Coming here and using this one show as an example for the industry as a hole is a severe overgeneralization.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Comparing slapstick humour from Full Metal Alchemists and YLIA is comparing apple and oranges.

Man, it's almost like my post was more about comparing the fandom's reactions to said slapstick humor than the humor itself!

That said, as much of an FMA fanatic as I am, I thought the Winry-throwing-wrenches slapstick was one of the weakest parts of it. Especially in Brotherhood. So it doesn't really need to be put on a pedestal just because everything around it is so good.

(And yet, comparisons to Grave of the Fireflies are fair game? Those are interesting rules.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Comparing slapstick humour from Full Metal Alchemists and YLIA is comparing apple and oranges.

They're both unneeded and unnecessary, so yeah I'd make the comparison.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, I'm blind.

I just rewatched episodes 1-4 with my roommate and it clicked. I can't believe I missed it.

spoiler[Kaori has a terminal illness. He whole speech at Arima is completely literal. http://i.imgur.com/TMvwlJs.jpg

That's why she doesn't concern herself with winning or following the rules. That's why she's always quick to say exactly what's on her mind. It's the reason she has no shame in stopping in the middle of a performance and waiting for Arima to regain his composure before starting completely over. She doesn't care. She will take any opportunity to play for an audience she can find. Her time is limited and all that matters is the feelings she has now and the feelings she leaves others.

It also explains her complete frustration for at Arima. Here is Kosei Arima, the brilliant pianist, with every opportunity in the world; whose fear of failure keeps him from living his life. She has no patience for that kind of weakness, it's a luxury Kaori can't afford to have. Kaori isn't selfishly ignoring Arima's issues, she's trying to push him past it.
It's not 'get over it' so much as 'you can't give up.']
Paragon Flynn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"It also explains her complete frustration for at Arima. Here is Kosei Arima, the brilliant pianist, with every opportunity in the world; whose fear of failure keeps him from living his life. She has no patience for that kind of weakness, it's a luxury Kaori can't afford to have. Kaori isn't selfishly ignoring Arima's issues, she's trying to push him past it.
It's not 'get over it' so much as 'you can't give up"

Does that make it any better though? Trauma and depression is something rather difficult to describe. What Kousei went through is basically living under an abusive mother and blaming himself for failing to meet her mother's expectations. He thought that if he played well, he could save his mother. But since she died, he could only blame himself for failure. That shit is kinda heavy on a young kid's brain. Heck, the kid saw the ghost of his goddamn mother!

On the other hand, let's say you're right and by the look of it so far, you're most likely correct. Kaori is dying. That's why she went to that hospital, because she's weak. Does that make Kousei's problems any less valid? Sure, she's dying and there's probably gonna be a long sob story about her whole life but that doesn't exactly give her the right to be an asshole, pretend to psychoanalyze someone she barely knows, invade that person's personal space, force him to play against his will without any practice at all and let him suffer the blame for an almost failure of a show. She said it's fine for a shameful performance but no, this is not a partnership. Who do you think people are gonna talk about when they say the show was pretty bad at one part? That kid on the piano! Yeah, great... She really did help him on that one. And when Kousei was starting to regain his piano skills, Kaori then goes all, "Nope, I won't let you steal my thunder!" So far, she seemed like a selfish person, through and through. And right now, even if she was sick, I have no sympathy for an abusive person.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It's a bloody cartoon, it'd be like feeling bad for Wile E. Coyote after getting blown up so many times in order to chase and catch the Road Runner. He's always going to be fine in the next scene cause it's all just for base comedic purposes, same as how Arima Kousei doesn't end up in the hospital the next scene after every time he's left lying in a pool of his own blood.

Bravo! As a person who grew up watching Bugs Bunny and whose favorite character was the Roadrunner, I think this every time I see people complaining about slapstick/comic violence in anime, or any medium really.

As for the bullying aspect of the story, yes, it is there to a certain extent and, while I would not want my own children to behave the way that Tsubaki does toward Kousei, it is made clear that the two of them have a longstanding relationship in which she pushes him to do things and he either goes along willingly or gives in eventually. There are a lot of people who have that type of relationship with someone that is not pathological in the least.

As for Koari's behavior, that falls under a totally different category than Tsubaki. She is trying to draw out the musician in Kousei. She is appealing to their commonly shared passion for music and pride as musicians. She is basically reminding him that he is, at his core, a performing musician and that his life has been colorless because he is denying his nature.

The people who complain about the abusive behavior of the two heroines all seem to be missing a key point: Kousei is miserable at the beginning of the story. His life is completely boring and meaningless. Even though he has given up on playing the piano, he refuses to let go completely and dispose of his piano, and even has a music related job, creating sheet music for popular songs by ear. (This suggests that he has perfect pitch, meaning he knows what the note is when he hears it played. That is a fairly impressive trait, but not necessarily related to musical ability.) His closest friend, Tsubaki, feels that 'time has stopped' for him and it is clear that he is basically going through the motions and not enjoying life in any way, shape, or form.

Kaori, who knew all about him from a 'fellow competitive musician' point of view and has parents who were big fans of his playing, sees the current Kousei as a shell of his true self and is pushing him to re-engage with the world of competitive classical music as a way to regain his true self. In that sense, I don't view her behavior as bullying him. It is more akin to a coach or rival challenging him to get back in the game.

spoiler[If it makes a difference, there is a point at which both Tsubaki and Kaori wonder if they haven't been too cruel to Kousei and if they are causing him pain instead of helping him. It is a rather touching moment in the manga and it does make Kaori's character a bit more realistic, since she pretty much admits that she doesn't really know how much he is hurting.]
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Story-irrelevant music-geek stuff:

zensunni wrote:
Even though he has given up on playing the piano, he refuses to let go completely and dispose of his piano, and even has a music related job, creating sheet music for popular songs by ear. (This suggests that he has perfect pitch, meaning he knows what the note is when he hears it played. That is a fairly impressive trait, but not necessarily related to musical ability.)

Eh, if you have sufficiently-advanced relative pitch, you can do quite a bit of transcribing-by-ear like that. I have relative pitch, but I studied composition at a music conservatory and took eartraining and theory and all that stuff music majors are required to take, so it's pretty good--and assuming I have a starting pitch or don't really care what key that's in (which, a lot of people don't when you're transcribing popular songs--especially if you're doing it for people to sing, then you'd probably pick the key that's most comfortable for that anyway), I can transcribe stuff like that, too.

Anyway, you're right though that perfect pitch doesn't have much to do with musical ability, like a lot of people think it does. It mostly seems to manifest in people who started playing an instrument (usually piano) when they were very young--like, before the age of five. (The fact that it's before that particular threshold makes me wonder if it's related in some way to language-acquisition, and I'd be curious if there are any studies that have been done to that effect.) I didn't start playing my first instrument (cello) until I was 10, so I missed that boat. Rats. Would've been really useful as a composer. Razz Most professional musicians and even composers can get by just from really strong relative-pitch, though, yeah--and honestly, it probably helps more in terms of understanding certain things about how notes and keys relate to each other better.

So I'd think it would be likely that Kosei has perfect pitch, if his mom has been drilling piano into him since he was little. At least that makes it possible for him to keep up some music-career-related stuff when he's not performing?

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
So I'd think it would be likely that Kosei has perfect pitch, if his mom has been drilling piano into him since he was little. At least that makes it possible for him to keep up some music-career-related stuff when he's not performing?

It looked to me like she was of the "absolute precision" school where the musician is to do nothing other than what the composer "intended" as put down in the sheet music. And apparently Kosei had developed a reputation of never playing a note out of bounds. Until this latest episode.

We'll see how well he takes to improvisation, but it might turn out to be a rough road.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It looked to me like she was of the "absolute precision" school where the musician is to do nothing other than what the composer "intended" as put down in the sheet music. And apparently Kosei had developed a reputation of never playing a note out of bounds. Until this latest episode.

That doesn't have very much to do with what "perfect pitch" is, though. Perfect pitch just means that if someone plays a B-flat, you know instantly that it's a B-flat, without having to compare it to other notes (as people with relative pitch must do).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
As for Koari's behavior, that falls under a totally different category than Tsubaki. She is trying to draw out the musician in Kousei. She is appealing to their commonly shared passion for music and pride as musicians. She is basically reminding him that he is, at his core, a performing musician and that his life has been colorless because he is denying his nature.

The people who complain about the abusive behavior of the two heroines all seem to be missing a key point: Kousei is miserable at the beginning of the story. His life is completely boring and meaningless. Even though he has given up on playing the piano, he refuses to let go completely and dispose of his piano, and even has a music related job, creating sheet music for popular songs by ear. (This suggests that he has perfect pitch, meaning he knows what the note is when he hears it played. That is a fairly impressive trait, but not necessarily related to musical ability.) His closest friend, Tsubaki, feels that 'time has stopped' for him and it is clear that he is basically going through the motions and not enjoying life in any way, shape, or form.

Kaori, who knew all about him from a 'fellow competitive musician' point of view and has parents who were big fans of his playing, sees the current Kousei as a shell of his true self and is pushing him to re-engage with the world of competitive classical music as a way to regain his true self. In that sense, I don't view her behavior as bullying him. It is more akin to a coach or rival challenging him to get back in the game.
While it's clear that that's what the show wants us to think, that's also the core of the criticism. We're supposed to think all is forgiven because "it works!!!" But the idea that overcoming trauma is a matter of the people around him hurling him into the right kind of pain and suffering (unlike his mother, who threw him into the wrong kind of pain and suffering) is what's drawing the disgusted reaction. The slapstick violence didn't bother me, but shoving him into that situation, and then celebrating it as liberating, certainly did.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I actually liked this episode because it had some character development, and the story advanced a little.

Quote:
If there is criticism to be had of the show's approach to Kosei's issues, it's that it oversimplifies the "solution" to them. This hasn't bothered me yet because I suspect that in its 22-episode run, it will eventually do more with the issues, but at this point, I'm sick of hearing the same thing over and over.

Thank you for finally pointing out the oversimplification. I want this show to be well done and memorable, and I also hope that the 22 episodes are enough to fix the tendencies to oversimplify things and go around on cycles.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode's greatest accomplishment is an argument in defense of itself. It establishes a strong argument against the idea that Kaori is being selfish about wanting Kosei as her accompanist, and that the show in any way promotes or is flippant toward emotional abuse. Your Lie in April understands far too well the abusive pressure Kosei has undergone and the toll it took on him, and episode 5 establishes that Kaori gets it too. She knows he's not an ordinary child prodigy and is also a potential liability to her competition career, but she needs him and needs to help him all the same. Actually, Kaori seems to understand what Kosei is going through a little too well, as if she's gone through the same experience.

It does nothing of the sort; You're making assumptions on how much Kaori knows about Kousei {and I'd say you made the wrong connection; Kaori would seem to have more in common with Kousei's mother than Kousei himself... straight down to the details on "why"} and how much she empathizes with him.

Yes, I caught on the "help him to hurt him" possibility {...better reverse that...} of her actions but Kaori doesn't think spoiler[ there's anything to Kousei beyond his piano playing... and she tells him so, right to his face! {"You useless idiot, play the piano and don't bother with anything else." I really do hate her}.] She's also doing it for all the wrong reasons, the same as Kousei's mother who wanted Kousei to have what she couldn't, whether he wanted it or not.

"Over pressuring parent, overly concerned about their child fainting"; He's either one thing or the other. If he's the type to make her work until her fingers bleed, he wouldn't be concerned about fainting. I'd say she's the one pushing and he's trying to reel her in.

Let's see, what else. Oh yes, the elephant; Abuse. The series seems to be drawing a line, splitting the difference between "for your own good" and "good luck, sucker" and it's easy to tell which girl represents which side. Episode 5 adds a new variable to the equation, guilt, and "you know who" is supplying it.

spoiler[Kaori and Kousei's mother.] Chew on that.

Have I said how much I hate Kaori? I did? Well, it's worth saying again.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Have I said how much I hate Kaori? I did? Well, it's worth saying again.

I haven't dwelled much on how much I love Kaori but I'll say it now.

No question she is difficult. Elemental forces usually are. But she is brilliant, she sparkles, and life with her would never be boring.

Disclaimer: she is just 14 now so she might be fully different by age 20.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Dead, it looks like.

The show doesn't seem any less flippant about abuse to me. This time, we get Kosei literally getting thrown off a bridge to get him to smile. The show may explore the toll the emotional pressure has, but it doesn't stop the show from turning around and applying it triumphantly.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Grade: A

Finally, an episode that uses pretty much all the potential of the show to produce a greatly crafted episode. I want to see more episodes like this one. I was especially impressed that Kaori is finally wondering if she might have been on the wrong by dragging Kousei into her selfish whims.

I also enjoyed seeing some of the potential drama that could occur if a love triangle develops. I look forward to the next episode, hoping that the creators will not crap the strives they made in episode 6.

EDIT: I really liked the scene where Tsubaki is at bat because all sorts of emotions came together at that moment. It was a very powerful moment to me.

Quote:
Your Lie in April wasn't out to wow anyone this week, but it still turned in a great episode. It was a good reminder that even when this show isn't going for spectacle or psychodrama, it's still one of the best things airing right now.

I disagree a bit with the reviewer. I think this episodes shows that this anime can be great with less spectacle and excessive psychodrama. I prefer the subtlety and character introspection of this episode over the bombastic and over the top attitude of the first episodes.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12