• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kigosh wrote:

And the best come at the end. Yayoi and Shion are lovers…while I have no problem with that, it just feels like a deus ex machine move to create some broken love drama between Yayoi and Mika (who was AGAIN shown to be completely incompetent at doing her job). But what really made me laugh: Two old characters from season one, who never got any kind of development, are being used to develop the character of a new enforcer. It`s like doing bad character writing while using badly written characters…Am I the only one who sees the irony in that?

Shion and Yayoi were always lovers. It was shown in both the first and very last episodes of season one, and strongly hinted through the rest of the series. Yayoi is sort of filling the hole left in her heart from the unrequited love that caused her to become an Enforcer in the first place. Shion is presumably just being Shion. She's very "anything that moves," or "this is the only way I know how to express affection because I can't communicate sincerity." So that was always an established relationship. I wouldn't say the two of them got no development, just less than some other people in the MWPSB. They're less important characters. But I think the show definitely gave them some humanity, even if they weren't the focus of the story.

The rest of it sounds like a ride, though! I'll have to determine for myself in the review, but...what even did I read.
Kigosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Shion and Yayoi were always lovers. It was shown in both the first and very last episodes of season one, and strongly hinted through the rest of the series.

Hmm...i missed that or my memory is in a worse state than I thought. I think I was too distracted by all those Max Weber quotes to get those hints Smile Well sorry for that. But as I said, it`s not the fact that they are lovers that amused me in this scene; only how they were talking to each other about Hinakawa and his background. Shion was reading his sealed file and they talked about his character, personality and so on.

You know --> Writer: "let`s develop this character by make two underdeveloped characters talk about him". I felt some irony there ^^

But the strangest was the part about the organs. I really don`t get it =/ Hope someone can explain it to me in a way that makes sense.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Kigosh wrote:

You know --> Writer: "let`s develop this character by make two underdeveloped characters talk about him". I felt some irony there ^^

Yes, but they're underdeveloped characters in their underwear. No one can accuse this show of lacking fanservice!

I know this show isn't as good as last season, but poking holes in the plot's "logic" just ruins the fun of watching Akane's Sexy Harem: The Dystopian Police Procedural. I'm having so much this season. I understand the plot a whole lot better, and there is plenty of juicy plot bits this episode. Granted, not all of it makes sense, and that makes it a bit less fun (organ transplants having an effect on one's psychological state? Yeah, no. I thought they were just making an analogy or something...)
Then there are the harem aspects:
-Akane is so obsessed with Kogami that not only does she hallucinate him in times of extreme stress (last week's showdown), but she blanks out and imagines herself talking to him in her head. I thought for a minute that maybe she had actually contacted him via the web, but that would require Ghost in the Shell levels of web-in-the-head, and they just don't have that on this show.

-Ginoza is so protective of Akane. He wants her to move. He's like the older brother type, seeing as he was her senpai last season.

-Sho calls her "oneechan"
He's obviously the otouto.

-Togane is obsessed with her. That's not a good thing, but some harems have a yandere. Laughing
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
-Ginoza is so protective of Akane. He wants her to move. He's like the older brother type, seeing as he was her senpai last season.

Yeah, that's actually becoming kinda ridiculous. Like if you look at his phrases this season they're mostly "Akane your Psycho-Pass go bad!" or "Akane don't overwork yourself" or something similar. Rolling Eyes
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Man, I think I rather read the episodic reviews here than watch the episode itself to avoid tearing out my hair on the direction S2 is going. It makes me wonder how the movie will proceed since it has the original writers and whether they'll make use of anything that happens in S2 and maybe salvage it.
0seveN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I guess the way I interpreted the stuff about the organs was different than the way the reviewer did. I thought Saiga was saying that transplanting enough organs was enough to make Sybil think you were the other person, but your own hue still had to be clear for it to think the differences were within the margin of error. If just having the organs tricked Sybil into thinking you were clear and medication was a red herring it wouldn't make sense that bomberman and Masuda's Crime Coefficient rates spiked and then came back down after being visited by Kamui.

Last edited by 0seveN on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
100% agree with all the critiques of this episode, the organ's stuff basically throws away the whole concept of the show and now it makes the whole "What color" pointless. Another perspective, another way of looking at things, ambiguety of personality/actions? Whatever, we already know the answer, it's just the organs of other person, nothing else! You can act crazy and that's fine because the system analyzes your organs who are who determines your Psycho-Pass! Kind of like the helms in season 1 only that those helms made sense and were the central theme of those episodes (like heavily) instead of here being just a cheap excuse to justify why this is happening.

The Sybil attitude to not doing something with inspector Sishui not only doesn't make a sense but also it feels so clearly an excuse to justify that the villains can use the dominator and cause problems during these next 4 episodes, that's the only reason it's made. It doesn't make sense the excuse "her psycho-pass is clear so it's all fine" because they could fire an inspector if they wanted for whatever reason, there's still the huuuuge designs deffect of being registered several times the same person in the program, and when Sybil said that I thought "well it looks like they want to be attacked", but then the show tries to prove us seriously that no, Kamui is the real danger, he's the real threat to the system even worse than Makishima. With that in mind and knowing that Sybil has also cheated several times in the previous season, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY NOT DOING SHIT??

I'm also tired of Akane's exaggerated sense of justice and how exaggerated is thrown in these two episodes. Akane never was a trigger-happy person but she at least would try to stop Kamui or even shooting to the boat last episode, and if he dies she wouldn't care that much (she brought manual weapons for some reason), she didn't care when the criminal in episode 2 died when he finally killed innocents, so it's not like that's a problem. The same with stopping Togane, the reason why Akane didn't want Kogami to kill Makishima was because of the deal with Sybil ("Kogami wants to kill Makishima. Capture him alive with us and Kogami can come back"). I guess the point is to show that she wants to capture him in the most legit ways and knowing that Kamui will be condemned by Sybil (unlike Makishima), but even then it's messy and poor as hell.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
As someone who left the original series(6/10, not complex enough and style over substance in by book) in episode 16 i have a question.
How big is the difference in quality and what is the exact problem of the new show ? Is it pointless sequel syndrome(Gundam ZZ, Eureka 7 AO and so on) as anime tend to have if the series wasn´t planned form the start or something bigger ? Am i missing a trainwreck'Shocked' ?
A D-. WOW. I don´t want Ange on my hands but some messy cyber punk sound interesting. Where is the best entry point ? Thanks in advance and Shion and Yayoi were shallow lovers in the epilogue of part 1(i followed a picture blog).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
About organs part - we don't really known for sure what is their purpose at the moment, so I wouldn't throw stones yet. There were very big amounts of custom stress-care medicine in Kamui hideout, which should be important - this could be a way Kamui helps his peers - very strong, fast acting drug combination.
In my opinion, organs are probably used for messing with person identification by system, not with "hue" or "crime coefficient" scanning. There is also possibility that organ swap is supposed to cheat "crime coefficient", but it's working on different principle - it makes scan linked to person from who organs were taken (like inspector eye do use dominator), and if that person is at the time nice and safe, it sends her low crime coefficient to system. In another words, not psycho pass in kidney, but cheating input send to system. Don't know if cloning technology in Psycho-Pass would allow such thing as cloning organs, but well, I like to speculate.

This could be also a way in which Kamui is being unidentifiable by system - he could be a dead man walking, with so many body parts/organs transplanted from dead persons, that he became "dead" to system himself (speculating wildly here).

However, I'm surprised that no one is talking about main absurdity of this episode - we learn that no one did even fast background check about that particular plane crash, because when they did it, they instantly found clues like one survivor named Kamui Kirito... pretty much entire team should be kicked from work for incompetence in that instant.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

However, I'm surprised that no one is talking about main absurdity of this episode - we learn that no one did even fast background check about that particular plane crash, because when they did it, they instantly found clues like one survivor named Kamui Kirito... pretty much entire team should be kicked from work for incompetence in that instant.

I noticed it and thought it was hilariously terrible as well, but decided to save it for next time because you can only cram so much dumb exposure into one review, and it looks like next week will be completely focused on this revelation.

But yes, that is like Idiotic Thing #17 that happens in this episode. Anime dazed

As for the "organs are just one small part of a more intricate process" thing, that's interesting...but sadly, that's not really what the show said. Psychiatrist-guy-whose-name-I-always-forget said "transplanting lots of organs is like transplanting a psycho-pass" matter-of-factly as if it was just common knowledge or common sense all on its own. That's pretty bad. The clear implication is that Kamui is a "non-person" to the system because he's full of dead organs, like you said. So that completely discounts his brain, soul, and personality, which are totally the same, and the things that the psycho-pass was firmly built on in season one. It's just crappy writing that takes a big dump all over previously established ideas and themes.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Sibyl system still won't revoke Shisui's Inspector authentication, which is so moronic that the other characters have to comment on it and accuse the system of self-sabotage, (probably due to that one rogue brain that had better not be Makishima.)

Given how Kougami put a bullet in Makishima's brain last season, I don't see how that'd work out, but hey I ouldn't put it past the show at this point.
0seveN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
As for the "organs are just one small part of a more intricate process" thing, that's interesting...but sadly, that's not really what the show said. Psychiatrist-guy-whose-name-I-always-forget said "transplanting lots of organs is like transplanting a psycho-pass" matter-of-factly as if it was just common knowledge or common sense all on its own.

I always though a Psycho-Pass was like your general profile for Sybil, since they always specifically refer to Crime Coefficients themselves. IMO interpreting what he said to mean organs=CC makes it hard to make sense of the line he says immediately after that.

Though I'm guessing this'll be a hot topic is the next episode so it should clear things up either way.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I too was weirded out by the transplant thing.

While Kamui is a total weirdo, crazier than Makishima with this organ transplant and plastic surgery complex going on, I thought the PP and cymatic scan all had to do with the "mind".

Maybe difference in organs can confuse the brain somehow, say rewire physical components, and get you to think differently as your body adjust to a \ organ? Like, a difference in blood pressure? But I didn't think that would make the hue clearer.

Maybe not. A kidney works as a kidney.

I understand the use of drugs much more.

Also, Holo. Holos from S1 had a base. It covered something else up, even a dead body. Uniforms, drones, etc. Kamui has a ton of these things running around "as other people"? With occupations? Don't recall. or are the holos the anti-sybil people Kamui drugged up?

Akane needs to stop imagining Togane as Kogami. Kogami would never say that she's crazy.

Aside from that, liking Sho-kun.[/spoiler]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Who was the guy at the end of the episode getting drugs?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku

after watching ep 7 I heard/read what the doctor said and assumed that he meant that that if you transplant organs it makes the system see you as someone else and that if your pass is clear (via the drugs from before) the systems chalks it up to minor error.

then I read your review

Re-watched that scene where the doctor and that guy who got arrested a while back talked

Begin infinite facepalm.

I had such high expectations for this series, hell i was gonna recommend it to all my friends and brag that its so good theres a second season still airing. But i get stuck with this...this Darker Pass:The Psycho twins
my apologies to those who liked the 2nd season of darker than black

fingers crossed that they somehow redeem this show since they're already half way done
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 27