• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Sobe wrote:
RestLessone wrote:
Uh, what are you getting at? Are you implying that I like seeing people or myself hurt? Were you so offended by my comment that you needed to make blunt observation? Jeez.

Of course. Rolling Eyes Someone had to outline the pink elephant.

Not only needlessly rude, but got your idioms crossed, I see.

Not surprised you think they're "crossed" seeing as how you're assuming an idiom has to be said to the letter in order to get anything across. Rolling Eyes But explaining the joke's on you instead of to you would ruin it either way. Thank you for being the straight man though.

Rolling Eyes
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kougami and Akane were pretty much outliers in talking to Jouji Saiga. Even Kougami told Akane to not talk to Jouji Saiga "too much" less her hue gets clouded.

On a side-note that aspect really irritated me during the first season. It'd be one thing if Akane was a kid, but she's a homicide detective. During the first half she constantly lacked any of the tools or training to do her job and was kept that way. It wasn't until half-way through during the helmet riots that the series showed the method to MWSB's madness. How Sibyl is structured in a way where there is very little need for a large group of skilled detectives.

And I do like Jouji's "Hannibal" reputation. It makes sense, after all his entire class got their hues clouded thanks to his lessons. Imagine the impression that makes on other people.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Sobe wrote:
RestLessone wrote:
Uh, what are you getting at? Are you implying that I like seeing people or myself hurt? Were you so offended by my comment that you needed to make blunt observation? Jeez.

Of course. Rolling Eyes Someone had to outline the pink elephant.

Not only needlessly rude, but got your idioms crossed, I see.

Not surprised you think they're "crossed" seeing as how you're assuming an idiom has to be said to the letter in order to get anything across. Rolling Eyes But explaining the joke's on you instead of to you would ruin it either way. Thank you for being the straight man though.

Rolling Eyes

I don't think you understood what I was saying earlier, so maybe I should rephrase in a tone more similar to your own?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
the most interesting part of ep03 for me was the revelation of one of the new characters acting perfectly sane while having a really high psycho pass, the highest ever recorded actually.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

Rolling Eyes

If it is a joke it's not very funny. General rule for jokes, if people can't tell that you're joking and just think that you're being rude or making a mistake, the joke probably isn't a very good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Memo to self (said out loud): Never put Mika and Hope in the same room together.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants Mika killed off as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but hey, here's hoping right?

Yeah, I gotta agree with Hope though, the writings so far, while not bad, is lacking in some areas. I wouldn't say Psycho-pass was a subtle show when it came to its theme, but it handled its characters with great care.

I can clearly see Ginoza has changed show, don't tell me that he has! The scene where he's lending an ear to a troubled Inspector was great till the end, where he's just spouts "Boy, I have changed, haven't I, audience?"
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants Mika killed off as soon as possible.

Man. All this hate on Mika. Doesn't every military, para-military, or for that matter girl scout troop have someone like her in their ranks? A "by the book" type?

She is actually fulfilling a critical, if ham-handed, role. She not only represents but totally personifies what "the system" is all about. The more you hate her now, the more fun her "rude awakening" will be if it comes. So don't kill her off.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants Mika killed off as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but hey, here's hoping right?

I have feeling she won't get killed, but I hope they don't repeat the same event Ginoza had to faced that got him to change.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I get it that it's no coincidence that the series name sounds almost like "psychopath", but are there really no...well, kinda sorta sane people fighting the system? I don't think you need to be a complete nutjob to realize that there's something fishy with Sybil...and Makishima was a charismatic and interesting psycho at least, i'm not so sure about Kamui.

As for Mika, i agree that she's fairly annyoing but i don't quite feel the same burning hatred towards her character as others (though that certainly makes for an interesting read. Laughing).
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Psycho-Pass 2 still has a long way to go to live up to the high expectations set from season one, but the one thing it can't be accused of is repeating itself."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This is why I don't take Hope's opinion on anything seriously.

"Live up to the high expectations of the first season" when it was a poorly written mess with poor characterization and bad animation?

"Not repeating itself" when will have yet another villain who can bypass the Sybil system by being able to lower his CC?

I guess since Urobuchi isn't involved here I guess there's nothing left to blindly praise but the concept in itself since that's what people who follow this tripe tends to do anyways.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

She is actually fulfilling a critical, if ham-handed, role. She not only represents but totally personifies what "the system" is all about. The more you hate her now, the more fun her "rude awakening" will be if it comes. So don't kill her off.

So you're saying she's just a poorly written plot device who just exist to be proven wrong since she has no actual reason to act the way she does.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
So you're saying she's just a poorly written plot device who just exist to be proven wrong since she has no actual reason to act the way she does.

Lol. I guess I am.
reidwyr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but the one thing it can't be accused of is repeating itself.

Say what? So far all that season two has done is a poor's man rehash of what the first did.

The villain is a far less interesting Makishima doing the same thing in a slightly different way, but to the same results. He is immune to the system and is making people immune to it as well. Oh gosh,where have I seen that before?

Mika is Ginoza but far more annoying and poorly written. Sakuya is Kogami with a twist of being blatantly set up to be a "surprise" villain.

The only thing psycho pass 2 is doing is repeating itself to far less positive results.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I take issue with Mika, too. I don't like her transition from last season in particular, but even as a character fulfilling the 'by the books' role, she is too obvious. She doesn't have to say "this is how things should be done!" during the arrest of a political figure. We already understand that she thinks that.

I guess one of the show's major problems is with subtlety? Not to excuse Makishima monologues, but at least he was interesting. Mika exists to spout pro-Sybil sentiment and insult her Enforcer's, which will undoubtedly lead to either her brain-washing/death or her immediately recanting when shown 'the truth.' To me, Akane still feels like a skeleton of her season one character, but I do like that she's bringing Jouji into the mix. Side note: did anyone else feel the What Color? explanation was a bit...reaching? 'Why would they ask the color if they could already look at it?' and all. There are multiple ways to interpret WC.

This episode was primarily exposition, so there isn't too much to say. Kamui's brainwashing scene was fine, though it did look a little strange when Shisui was breathing heavily but her mouth remained completely still. Blame it on the budget, I guess. I'm not entirely convinced Kamui will be a good antagonist, but at least he's not a Makishima clone. I wonder how they'll develop him. He's definitely one of the more outwardly emotional characters we've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27