• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So i give the end a B+ and the the show a B. The case ended by life goes on as it needs even if the cracks are getting wider. The production team gave the leads surprisingly enough time to talk the themes out and Akane showed more character that i gave her credit for going in.
She and Kogami should have a nice conflict by the time the movie timeline hits. Evil is going global. Why is it that controversial that the movie is r-15 btw ? How is this different from this round. Should PP really be an alternative to Naruto the Last ?
Kamui was really the identityless diplomat on a preset course i expected and Mika, the ideal citizen of the world survived and was the brainwashed toy soldier i wanted. She really was the "hero" the city deserved. Shisui closing her eye at the end was a nice touch. To round out there were good music choices all round. A nice surprise from the rushed downer i expected where everything would have been left in the air or a body bag for the movie to tackle. A third project now seems likely.
I had a lot of fun and this is my 5th favorite anime of the year.
About the word shonen. Here is a quote: "He(Motohiro) acknowledges that the series may be too violent for a younger demographic and said that he would not want his son to watch it because of its psychological brutality." Sure don´t let him watch it. Give him the Shonen Jump adaptation instead. Genius.

@qberr I like Naruto the manga overall. It has giant third act problems but did good of the industry and the characters grew into my hear over the last 13(!) years of reading. A nice 7,5/10 overall and i look forwards to the (probably problematic)movie´s Blue Ray release. Now i am off to finelise the PP2 review and bid you all farewell. I also have to talk the ending over with a friend. He should have had as much fun as i. See you at the movies ?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Chipp12 wrote:
Well, in the end it has actually ended up being a filler season. What a surprise.

spoiler[At Aoyonagi's life nonetheless.] Confused

Yeah and Akane's grandmother life, but both of them pretty much didn't have any roly in the previous season so whatever.
Aoyanagi had a minor yet vital role in Kagari's novel, her background was also pretty useful plot-wise (friends with Kogami and Gino from day1, veteran imspector).
she was kind of wasted in s2, i'm sure they'll milk that waste in LNs or drama CDs or whatever.
also spoiler[Shisui living might provide for some interesting character pieces]
granny was stated to be important to Akane in s1 too, that too i uess might be expanded upon later.
too bad sales are too shit to grant an "extended edition"-like treatment, more Sugo/Gino or general scenes of characters reacting to the bullshit they're being put trough might've been interesting.
residentgrigo wrote:
. Should PP really be an alternative to Naruto the Last ?
ugh, just fudge off already
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this last episode showed us:

spoiler[-That you can rush things a whole lot: the fight at the beginning in 10 seconds, suddenly the rest of the team is fighting against Shisui without establishment, Togane tells his Oedipus complex backstory in two seconds, everybody speaks and says what they mean incredibly fast, oh so Sybil accepts that well the collectivization, oh Akane struggles with Togane because of her grandmother's death and is solved just as quickly, oh Togane and Kamui kill and half-kill each other, oh the enforcer who killed Aoyanagi is ok for Ginoza and replaces Togane our arc is fulfilled, oh yes Togane and Mika come on a quick scene fast fast, oh Saiga is becoming more clear even though there's no reason why he would be fine with this society and therefore its crime cofficienty, oh speeches about the future of the society with the new concept, oh I hate this kind of rushed endings and pacing.]

-That the message of this season spoiler[is that Sybil is not bad, it's just hooky and inexpert, but he can become a real benevolent useful god, oh~ Not like we spent the previous season and even bits of this one criticizing the simple concept of the society, and this idea of collectivization is a very VERY dangerous idea that they only tapped in the surface and accept like it is the next optimist step, which means the writer has no idea about what he's writing. That concept is so problematic (as they say but Akane acts like 'meh, I'll be positive') that it could be its own season or episodes dedicated to its problems, but nop, it's good, and therefore Sybil is neat. Happy tone, yeiii.]

spoiler[-This season is not filler only because of the choice they made with Sybil System, his future concept to be applied and Akane's determination about it. Which by one hand it's progressing the plot in some direction, but by the other hand it's in an awful direction that has nothing to do with what the first season was saying so for everybody who thought "well, it's this writer's take on the world, but it's not esential to the world, it's just other adventure", nop, if this franchise continues this will be totally canon.]

-The movie is spoiler[set before this season because Togane is alive in the trailer, so have that in mind and that movie is not going to influence the plot or world in anyway.] Edit: Nop, mistake, aclared in the next post.

So it's over. Now we'll wait to Hope to rant about this last episode and the season as a whole (it would be awesome if she doesn't have any limit of words), and we'll be able to focus on forgetting it even exists.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
-The movie is spoiler[set before this season because Togane is alive in the trailer, so have that in mind and that movie is not going to influence the plot or world in anyway.]

Maybe he's alive because that was the flashback scene? Anyway you can say that this season has moved the plot in some way but Sybil's decision was that "we may implement this stuff sometime... dunno this time will certainly come" so I'm not really convinced.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
^ I watched the trailer again and spoiler[my bad, the person I thought was Togane was actually that enforcer who replaced him. It kind of reinforces his role Laughing ]

I think it is when spoiler[Sybil says to Akane that she has opened this path in their plans and all the talk is like this is most likely going to happen and Akane is like 'oh it will happen and I will be optimist about it'. They could totally ignore it in future installments, of course, but it doesn't look that way to me. It's not the biggest plot advance in the world, but it's more than what the other episodes established it was going to be a filler void season (which, seeing how much I don't like this one, I kind of would prefer it that way, oh meh~).]
qberr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
movie summaries are out and about
spoiler[season 2 has been confirmed as completely and utterly irrelevant, Kirito, Shisui, Aoyanagi and the season of hell are never mentioned]
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
These reviews have been spot-on. This season was utter trash. It's so bad that giving an F rating is almost a complement. So happy to hear that the movies won't be touching this nightmare of season.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
at least this season will serve to shutup al the people who complain about works that continue gen's writing, madoka season02 , the "filler" episodes of gargantia and loldonoah zero, etc... now we can simply say "at elast they are not psycho pass 2 bad".
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Madoka had a second season?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I pretty much agreed with the last episode's review of why this season failed except points 2a and 2b.

I don't think those are inconsistent. Kamui forced Sibyl to change the criteria that it uses to judge people. Remember that line that was repeated several times about the possibility of clear people being seen as black if Sibyl accepted the idea of a collective psycho pass? I hope so because it was repeated like 4 times in the last 2 episodes...

So what likely actually happened is that all those brains were criminally asymptomatic and they would still have been unable to be judged on their own, but a group of them were judged collectively to be black.

While I think the reviews did point out a lot wrong with the series (of course PP 2 made that pretty easy), it seems like they misunderstood some stuff and blew it out of proportions. In addition to point 2 on this episode, that giant rant about human brains for the previous episode that was entirely irrelevant because they were obviously talking about a data transmitting network because they mentioned the goal was to hack a back up network that was less secure. Neither season of Psycho Pass has ever hinted that there is a secondary Sibyl system working as a back up. Then there was the earlier blunder with the rant on how stupid it was that Kamui was putting in organs of clear people into not clear people to make them clear... when he clearly wasn't doing that.

I get that the shows get assigned to a reviewer, and I also understand the logic of not just picking the people that like a show to review it. However, it seems like when reviewing a longer on going show each week, that results in (understandably) putting less effort into trying to fully follow it (which I'm not saying is intentional, if something can't hold attention it is just natural to miss more).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Tremendously relived I never had the time to watch this season, as it sounds like an epic train wreck.

Maybe on its own it could've been a fun, pulpy sci-fi but as an allegedly continuation of the smartly-written (if melodramatic) season 1? Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done. Rolling Eyes

Glad I can chalk this up to a bad dream and await the movie.
qberr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Tremendously relived I never had the time to watch this season, as it sounds like an epic train wreck.

Maybe on its own it could've been a fun, pulpy sci-fi but as an allegedly continuation of the smartly-written (if melodramatic) season 1? Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done. Rolling Eyes

Glad I can chalk this up to a bad dream and await the movie.
just watch episodes 1,2, 6, 10 and 11
or don't, the movie has nothing to do with this season
ronri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Rushed as this season was Hope, I feel I should point out something in regards to points 2a and 2b.

It should be recognized that even if Sibyl incorporated CA brains, Season 2 exploited a loophole that the Sibyl system never re-assessed itself as a collective whole, which meant that any CA brains that later caused detrimental effects to their "appearance" (their Crime Coefficient if you will) would have been ignored until now. In the case of CA by psychopaths though, it should be noted that while ASPD folks cannot be simply turned psychopathic, the reverse can happen and if I recall correctly, such cases have actually happened wherein psychopathic individuals could actually develop ASPD later in their lives.

Again, rushed as it was, I felt this was what Season 2 was going for. It exploited a loophole in the Sibyl system and made a gigantic plot out of it. The funny thing is, this whole premise ends up feeling more like one of those glorified crime shows than the thought-provoking sci-fi show that Psycho-Pass established itself to be. It's not that the ideas were necessarily bad, rather it feels redundant at this point because these are ideas that would've been tackled before introducing the more thought-provoking topics brought by Makishima, which feels stupid for a second season.

Essentially, Season 2's ideas felt more like a prequel side-story (admittedly an absurdly-constructed one) since the themes it tackles arguably predate the ideas pushed forth in Season 1. Season 2 discussed about the validity of the Sibyl system, and while that may sound fine on paper, it feels very moot at this point since Season 1 already lightly touched on that while directly addressing the very removal of said system. Kamui's plot feels like a reiteration of Sibyl's flaws as a "god", whereas in stark contrast Makishima already established himself as an anarchical "non-believer" that wanted to take down said system. It makes Season 2 feel redundant because Season 1 already flew past addressing Sibyl's "flaws" (because we KNOW it has them) and directly approached the question of "what if we get rid of it instead?"

Admittedly I do disagree that Season 2 enforced the idea that Sibyl "could" be good someday (especially considering the very ironic tone that Akane and Chief Kasei held towards each other at the end with Sibyl even sarcastically bringing up Akane's incorporation within their system). If anything, I felt that Sibyl simply found another loophole to exploit in order to sell themselves as "look Akane we're not as bad as you think!", which allowed them to escape Akane's criticism for the time being in light of the recent incidents caused by Kamui.

The only refuge I can take with all these mess of ideas is that at least the core parts of the show remain intact while Akane carried and maintained herself even till the end, enough so as to not doom the show into a corner by the time the movie rolls in.

Last edited by ronri on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
qberr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
still weird that they decided to gas their own brains (or that they already had a system to do that)
i mean in s1 Kasei(Touma) said that they could suppress a brain's personality, they could've done that
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
qberr wrote:
still weird that they decided to gas their own brains (or that they already had a system to do that)

What is also curious is that the criminal brains didn't beat the "good" brains to the switch. For an action like that I would have though they would be quicker to take action like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 27