• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Launches the Geneon-Spot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southcross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
interesting.... site is very under construction... either most of the links don't do anything or the site isn't FireFox friendly
halo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Not to be paranoid, but is there any good reason I have to enter a telephone number to register on the site?
energydan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
So Geneon can call your house during the night and thank your parents for joining the "G-Spot". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't there be in a sense a copyright issue of sorts with the name "G-Spot", since the name is used by G4TV? I'm about to register.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe there wasn't a copyright for that until now.
ganami

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
maybe i'll sign up in a month or so, when they get better stuff. And the "G-spot" kinda sounds to sexual.
Kalium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Wouldn't there be in a sense a copyright issue of sorts with the name "G-Spot", since the name is used by G4TV? I'm about to register.

Firstly, it would be a trademark issue.

Secondly, it's not like they are using "G-Spot" as an official name. A few people are using that as a joke. I doubt it will be an issue.
joetron2030

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
Anime_Freak wrote:

Firstly, it would be a trademark issue.

Secondly, it's not like they are using "G-Spot" as an official name. A few people are using that as a joke. I doubt it will be an issue.

It's odd that they officially don't refer to it as "G-Spot" and yet on the main page when you first register and sign on, it says:

Quote:
YOU'VE FOUND THE G-SPOT!
Welcome to the G-Spot!

Geneon Spot is the EXCLUSIVE fan club for all things Geneon. For a limited time (from now until December 31st, 2006) anyone can access the G-Spot absolutely free! We have lots of cool things in store for you, and to start it off, first episode of ERGO PROXY is available now Thanks for joining, we'll make it worth your while.

So, which is it?
miji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I would like to join, but am hesitant. Why do they need all that personal information?

I know it's a fan club, but still don't think it should be mandatory to enter the site.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
I would like to join, but am hesitant. Why do they need all that personal information?

Maybe I've just been on the internet for way too long, but I don't have any idea why people are still so jumpy about giving up even a name or a zip code.

We had people in the forums telling people not to participate in our "what kind of anime fan are you" survey because their personal information was "too valuable" or something like that. The questions were "what gender are you" and "what part of the world do you live in". Give me a break.

As though years and years of using the internet hasn't taught you that nobody cares who you are. Unless you're playing fast and loose with credit card numbers on sketchy sites, you don't have anything to worry about. Geneon isn't going to come to your house and kick your cat.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I got to experience Re-l Mayar in the G-spot Twisted Evil!

Anyway, I registered and logged on. The first episode is available in ENGLISH. The dub sounds very good at the moment, and I feel a lot of it is due to the fact that much of the dialogue doesn't involve actual movement or showing of mouthflaps, which then allows greater concentration on pure acting and not matching.

Not being a series with much Japanese cultural influence, I wasn't really sure how some of these names were so suppose to be pronounced. What I thought to be "Real" (Re-l) is said as "Re-el" and Cogito (which I'm pretty sure is Latin) is said as "CogEEto" (big emphasis on that EE).

It's been a while since I took Latin in high school, but I've heard the quote "cogito, ergo sum" enough to believe it's a short "ee" sound, right?

Other than that, though, the dub sounds very promising. Register now and watch it!

Oh, and they cut out Paranoid Android to insert a little spiel to advertise the site. I think they messed up the pronunciation of Ergo too. "Air-go" vs. "Ur-go" (as in the -ur from "hurt.")

I also just found out this will have English DTS Anime hyper, I'm so pumped to collect this on DVD now!
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The site doesn't work for Opera at all.

The focus point often doesn't equate to where the mouse is in Firefox.

Quite a few of the links have "Null content for this ..." type errors.

Why did they announce this site, when it's obvious that it hasn't be completed. It hasn't been alpha tested, let alone beta tested. Making an announcement that they are going to start a fanclub would have made more sense.

Add to these complaints, no UK entry in the country list (I let it think that I'm in Australia).

G-spot cannot be declared as Copyright, but can be declared as a tradename - as Bill Gates found out with Windows and Intel with its 80X86 series of processors (the 586 became the pentium(c)).

JBV!_!

EDIT:
They can phone me if they wish (remember UK!), cause I'm looking for a job at the moment^_^

Last edited by JackBassV on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It's been a while since I took Latin in high school, but I've heard the quote "cogito, ergo sum" enough to believe it's a short "ee" sound, right?

My Latin prof in college said there were many different ways to pronounce Latin, and of all of them, no one knows which exactly the Romans used if any. He said the two main ways, which pronounce some things quite differently, are church Latin, handed down through the Catholic church, and Latin derived from local dialects within Italy, which he thought was closer to the original. He taught us the latter, and we said co (long o) gee (hard g long e) to (long o), which sounds like it might be the way they said it?

Too bad that Mythbusters busted the theory about getting sounds from tracks on clay pots, otherwise we might be able to listen to a wine jug or two and hear how they really said it! :)
Tonboko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. how long has this fan club been running? I'm just a bit miffed my normal user name had been taken. First time that has ever happened to me. Oh, well.
I hope they keep having the free episodes for new series. It's nice to be able to see at least one episode before you buy a dvd. (I'm in the dark ages and I dont have cable, so even if a show is on TV, I dont get to see it)
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ooo this sounds very cool. I like the idea of a cocktail party, as well. Wink Yay Geneon for a cool idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2