• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan Part II BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Usually I'm not one to pay much attention to how adaptive a script is, but I'm definitely noticing it more while I watch AoT on Toonami (I own the discs, but I like sharing the experience with friends). Usually it's just minor niggles here and there that kind of jerk me out of the experience (and as someone who uses grandfatherly expressions despite being young, it might not seem as strange to me personally. ^^; ). My first encounter with Tatum's dramatic tendencies was Steins;Gate, and since that had an over-the-top melodramatic character, I felt like the sometimes unsuitable purple prose flew under the radar.

EDIT: I will say, I think the top-notch VA performances of the dub go a HUGE way to mitigating that jarring affect, though.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Another shill AoT review! Rolling Eyes
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

So a reviewer has an opinion you disagree with, therefore they're being paid off. Makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

So a reviewer has an opinion you disagree with, therefore they're being paid off. Makes sense.

Fun fact: I bought the super-deluxe edition myself for review just because I wanted to make sure I got that nice box for parts 1 and 2.

...then Funimation sent it as screener material anyway a few days later AND BOY DID I FEEL LIKE AN ASS.

Anyway, the point is, "shill" is about as far from what I do as you can possibly get. My opinions are my own, and if you don't agree with them, that's fine, but they're definitely not disingenuine.

(If I was a shill, why would I come down so hard on the dub? Doesn't even make any sense...)

brankoburcksen wrote:

Doesn't the synopsis have a manga spoiler?

The "Levi Ackerman" thing? No, his full name gets said in the show too. It's just an unanswered question that is clearly intended to make the audience connect Mikasa and Levi but just not really be sure why they should (yet.)
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

The "Levi Ackerman" thing? No, his full name gets said in the show too. It's just an unanswered question that is clearly intended to make the audience connect Mikasa and Levi but just not really be sure why they should (yet.)

I don't remember that myself but I might have just overlooked it. Do you remember when they said it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I don't remember that myself but I might have just overlooked it. Do you remember when they said it?

Nope, fraid not. It's in the digi-booklet, though. It's weird because it seems like that should be a "secret," but it was never played up as a reveal or any kinda thing even in the manga either. It's just his last name, introduced like any other last name, and I guess the audience is expected to go "OMG what" themselves because the story never does!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
chocobar is a troll. it's been here for a long time. don't feed it.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Just an anime hipster.

In any case, you guys are gonna love whatever's in store for the upcoming second season. Since 80% of it is gonna be political intrigue, and 20% titans tearing shit up. Confused

Not that I don't mind a healthy dose of politics, but when you litter your series chock full of mind-numbingly twisty plot twists and questions, it's...kind of distracting to linger on intrigue between the social elite. Though, that arc does present Levi as a premiere badass without a shadow of a doubt.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I LOVE political intrigue when it's done well. But I feel like, at least in so far as what the manga has shown thus far, it goes a long way in explaining why the world inside the walls exists as it does. For example, one of my friends (who doesn't read the manga) continually wonders why they just don't build hot air balloons and bomb the shit out of the Titans with minimal risk. Laughing

Last edited by whiskeyii on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Personally, I LOVE political intrigue when it's done well. But I feel like, at least in so far as what the manga has shown thus far, it goes a long way in explaining why the world inside the walls exists as it does. For example, one of my friends (who doesn't read the manga) continually wonders why the just don't build hot air balloons and bomb the shit out of the Titans with minimal risk. Laughing

They explain that in the manga...

spoiler[The government does not take kindly to those who engage in the scientific process....]
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Personally, I LOVE political intrigue when it's done well. But I feel like, at least in so far as what the manga has shown thus far, it goes a long way in explaining why the world inside the walls exists as it does. For example, one of my friends (who doesn't read the manga) continually wonders why the just don't build hot air balloons and bomb the shit out of the Titans with minimal risk. Laughing

They explain that in the manga...

spoiler[The government does not take kindly to those who engage in the scientific process....]

That's what I was saying: the political intrigue of what the second season is probably going to focus on will explain why science is at a standstill. ^^; I read the manga; my friend doesn't.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
In an odd coincidence, I just finished the dubbed show yesterday and I really enjoyed. Some assertions:

I did not see any pacing problems. See, the problem with the scouting party is that Irving purposefully kept information from everyone, except the ones he kept closest to himself and every time a new section encountered the female titan, they all had the same reaction, series of reactions actually, while we already knew what was going on. So that bored feeling some of you got was more supposed to be applied to "master planner" Irving's screw up of a plan; If he had a cadre of people he could trust, he needed to distribute them throughout the formation. Still, they all would ended up dead but at least the audience would have found the resulting story shorter with a very definite "The End".

And all those episode previews were necessary is order to show who knows what so for the time the forest mission's ending, you knew which end fighters knew what about her.

There were no unnecessary tangents, no filler to be explained away {I'm not familiar with the manga, I'm just familiar with plotting} so a direct continuation can happen with no problem.

Another issue: I don't see part two as a downer: Far from it. I saw part one as downer because there was no hope as hundreds of thousands died over two episodes of what was left of humanity and that "victory" at the end of Trost wasn't even a victory as humanity stopped the incursion inside the second wall, uh, "bubble", they had to destroy the gate { that problem actually came up in the story, well done}.

What part two presents and represents: a solution. Don't think of it as so much of a cure for a "zombie apocalypse" but a cause and a reason combined with a course of action for the combatants, a bloody and painful path to be sure but "named" beats "numbers" only if you don't think about it. It takes the plot out of the realm of the supernatural and puts it squarely in the "What the hell are the Powerful thinking but there's a way out now" and it's completely obviously intended that way as the final battles of this set, humanity's counterattack, takes place in... ok, that one's a spoiler.

Not a downer. It's all up from the story where a hundreds thousand were forced to mark to their death towards titans, aka episode 2; if they were all named, it would have taken too long.

In the dub, Eren is too shrill far too often. I did not see any problems in script logic but I only watched two episodes of the series streamed as I figured early that would lead to feelings of pacing problems with a story such as this so I planned on binge watching from the start. So I missed out on the spoken message of "sacrifices for the greater good" as it's pounded into the characters scene after bloody, visceral scene? I think I still got it.

Here, I thought the repeated message "letting go of humanity in order to fight monsters" would have gotten more discussion because all the problems of fighting the female titan exist because spoiler[she's not a titan but a human with rationality, drive and fighting ability.]. In the end, Eren spoiler[ won by being a better monster than she was a human] but that's only because he could never spoiler[beat her as a human].

I take it the same dumb lines were in the Japanese?
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

So a reviewer gives high marks to your favorite anime is not a shill because you say so. Makes sense.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Quote:
dub script can be so overwritten that it changes intended meaning and diminishes intended tone

That's always annoyed me about Funimation dubs. It's one thing when they do it with some generic fluff fanservice show, but it's irritating when they do it with a substance heavy show like Attack on Titan, where the script and dialogue are carefully crafted for an intended effect.

Ah Hello? this is funi were talking here. Not Viz Media. of course their gonna loosen up the script a bit while keeping a majority of it intact. its been their MO when they first started licensing anime.

Quote:
This makes the only sub-par element of this otherwise outstanding dub its adaptive script. Unfortunately, it's a handicap that has gotten so much worse from the first half that it's tragically impossible to ignore.

I wouldnt say that. for one thing the scripting for the dub definitely wasnt handicapped at all from what i can tell.

sure they changed some of the scripts from the sub version, but kinda a necessary evil to both avoid any lip flaps and to make it suitable for the western audience. that was a obvious thing that would happen when funi licensed the series. and while some parts of the scripts are different,for example. while the end quote for ep says "And just like that, everything changed. At that terrible moment, in our hearts, we knew... "home" was a pen... and humanity, cattle." the sub version in a way is more faithful towards the manga.

sure sub pursuits will moan about that,but its as i said, the changes were meant for the US audience. and personally its a lot more darker and more suitable for the AOT atmosphere than the quote from the sub version.

Regardless, its still good enough & shouldnt necessarily be a handicap. hopefully these small dub changes will remain for season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, the pacing was definitely unnaturally slow and deliberately draggy. Characters would stand around vocalising things - such as their feelings, or laments about how crappy their world was - that we already knew.

The show could have had two (or even three) episodes worth of redundant angst chopped from it, that's how bad the pacing was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4