• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO THE ANIMATION

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
This is also one of my favorites from the season. I love the way the show illustrates the fantasy atmosphere along with its characters. In fact, I'm curious to know exactly how their roles will be played out throughout this series. I'm hoping it will be memorable as Herman is already one of my favorite characters this season.

From the latest episode, I'm also curious to see if the spoiler[Prince] will join their cause.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't find the CG all that grating.

I've seen much worse.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I've seen much worse.

I've seen CG that is worse in itself but I've literally never seen CG do a worse job of blending with the rest of the show. As Gabriella said, the two art styles are just such polar opposites. Smooth, stylized, lanky characters with flat, blocky colors on the one hand and bulky, hyper-detailed, glowing, reflective armors on the other. It really does clash worse than anything else I can recall. Still moderately enjoying the show mind you, but what a shame. If this was all traditional animation I could see really getting into it.
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to checking this show out this season.

I have a question for people--I want to check out a lot of funimation shows, but their streaming service doesn't have an app for Xbox, which is what I use to watch most of my anime. I did notice, though, that a lot of funimation shows also show up on Hulu. If I spring for a Hulu plus account, will I be able to access those shows on my console?
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
but their streaming service doesn't have an app for Xbox

It does.

If you use Hulu, it will be about a 1 week delay.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Some minor correction. It's Super Sentai, not super sentai. Super Sentai is a tokusatsu franchise owned by Toei. Writing it as simply super sentai is like you are implying that it's not a franchise owned a company. There are also other sentai shows in Japan, but they either poke fun on the Super Sentai franchise or something that is Super Sentai-like.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This show has got quite mediocre, sometimes poor ratings in the preview guide.

Did it improve this much to "B+" in later episodes? Is is as good as Bahamut or Parasyte?
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I suppose MAPPA isn't insanely untested at this point. It is founded by a Madhouse founder... And did Shinichiro's Watanabe's last two series.

The only reason I know this is because said Madhouse Founder is the guy still trying to get Satoshi Kon's last film made (damn it).

Apparently the writer is well known for Toku stuff... although after Gaim I'm not sure I want to get back into it.

Solidly written episode though. Feels like they're trying to much with the camera freedom CG gave them and the choreography is confusing.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't surprise since Yasuko Kobayashi had tons of experience in Tokusatsu shows. She apparently also worked on a few episodes of Garo Live Action so this show was very promising from the start. The only thing that I keep seeing as something negative about GARO is the 3DCG which looks pretty normal to me. Maybe because I've watched so much of GARO that I've just gotten used to the way this show's CGI looks like.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm used to the CGI too or maybe it's gotten better.

It's a shame Funimation has the rights otherwise I could really see Scott McNeil voicing German/Zoro if a dub is produced.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I'm used to the CGI too or maybe it's gotten better.

It's gotten better imo compared to the original Garo Live Action.[/quote]
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned the first four eps of this show last night, and really enjoyed it. I agree with Gabriella that the best thing about it may be the trope reversing father-son duo. I still can't believe they used Leon's actual dad--not an older mentor figure or family friend or adoptive elder--but his actual biological father. And he's a good guy who obviously loves his son, too! It so flies in the face of the orphaned/abadoned fantasy hero that it kind of reels the mind. It reminds me of the brotherly relationship at the heart of Fullmetal Alchemist, which was key to drawing me into that show and, as a result, anime as a whole. That is definitely a good thing.

Besides for positive depictions of family relationships, this show has a lot going for it: solid writing and plotting, fun characters with a lot of potential (I want to see more of Ema the Makai Alchemist and Prince Alfonso in particular) and decent action sequences barring the awful CGI armor. As long as it avoids the boring "monster of the week" formula of ep 4 (it would be a subpar Twilight Zone ep indeed), it should be a solid show going forward. I'd give the first four eps a B-, with points off for ep 4 main plot.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm yeah ANN reviewers are just generous now period then. This was one of my absolute favorites to start up this season and I'd still probably only give it like a B+ tops atm.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely agree about how nice it is that the series doesn't have to talk about everything it's putting in front of us. Another series would have spent a good two minutes just marveling over the weight of that sword. Smile

This is really starting to move up my list of favorites this season. The only thing holding it back is the crazy armor, but there's nothing to be done about that now. I just can't watch any of those scenes without imagining the toy line coming out of them, like Saint Seiya's Myth Cloth series. Very Happy
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The only thing holding it back is the crazy armor, but there's nothing to be done about that now.

Here is why many who watched the live action show aren't complaining about CG armors in the anime (Note: the CG suits portion of this fight (one of the most elaborate of its season) begins at 3:33).

I'm enjoying the anime so far, and am glad to see it doing a period story -- something that could probably not be realized (well) on its live action TV budget. The other seasons have made it clear that Makai Knights and their armors have been around for a very long time, but those shows have all had present-day or near future settings, where they can just shoot in the city.

The live action series do tend to spend a fair bit of time in monster-of-the-week mode, so I won't be surprised if there's more of that to come. Still, so far it looks like they're using the freedom that comes with animation to paint on a bigger canvas, and I'm all for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6