• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
They even charge for AoA titles other legal sites offer for free on the first day, it's quite the pirate operation.

Huh you aren't just paying to watch anime for free on the first day (although this is part of it but Funi does it too) but also HQ streams and no commercials. Not really sure where you get pirate operation from that.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Hopefully something can get worked out. In the end, seeing Yona of the Dawn and licensed by Funi, yet available for Latin American streaming is a dream come true and I hope more Funi shows become available for Latin American streaming in the future.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:

BTW... anyone ever stop to think about what if the guys from 50% off actually dubbed the actual series (with the actual trans. xD)...

That would be like the best thing ever (though they'd need another voice for Nagisa to keep him in character though. Lol)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
heh, watch Crunchy decline Cool

I'd be super pissed since S1 is much better than S2 imo
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought FUNi said they wouldn't license sports anime anymore after Big Windup bombed!
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I thought FUNi said they wouldn't license sports anime anymore after Big Windup bombed!

Big Windup didn't get nearly the amount of popularity Free! did, both in Japan AND oversees. I think they're pretty safe taking a risk with this one. And it's just as much slice of life as it is sports (I doubt you can really enjoy it if you just watch it for the sports portion).
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Big Windup didn't get nearly the amount of popularity Free! did, both in Japan AND oversees. I think they're pretty safe taking a risk with this one. And it's just as much slice of life as it is sports (I doubt you can really enjoy it if you just watch it for the sports portion).

Plus, it's got a good amount of fan-service for a particular audience (which Funi seems to be licensing quite a number of recently).
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's 2014. We should be well-past the point where anime gets dubbed out of order.

You would hope so. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, bless Funimation. I already pre-order their Cowboy Bebop Vinyl Exclusive, so I'll add this and the eventual Michiko to Hatchin Complete Boxset for next year.

I'm calling it now.

Eric Vale as either Makoto or Rin, J. Micheal Tatum as Rei, Monica Rial as Gou (oh PLEASE let her be Gou or Catlin Glass), Laura Baily as Ama-sensei, Patrick Seitz as Sousuke, Ian Sinclair as Coach Sasabe, Josh Grelle as Nagisa or Ai, Joel McDonald as Momo, Mike McFarland as Seijuro, and Bryce Papenbrook as Haruka because apparently he's the new "I must voice the main character of every anime".
He's the protagonist for like five shows so far? Confused

Actually Bryce as Haru is a bit unlikely for this one seeing as he lives in LA so he'd mostly do Aniplex USA shows. AoT was an exception because he was a big fan of the show already (it was a actually by coincidence he even found out about the auditions). I doubt he's wanna be traveling such a distance for this series.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Is Big Windup OoFuri? I don't keep up with English names, but that seems like a potential translation for Oofuri.

That being said...was it actually not popular? I live in Japan--have for 7 years--and OoFuri was HUGE when I first got here, one of the biggest fandoms for doujinshi at events like Comiket, and just last week, Abe Mihashi was selected as part of an anime character National Promotion Campaign for baseball.

It never struck me as unpopular in the least in Japan.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Is Big Windup OoFuri? I don't keep up with English names, but that seems like a potential translation for Oofuri.

That being said...was it actually not popular? I live in Japan--have for 7 years--and OoFuri was HUGE when I first got here, one of the biggest fandoms for doujinshi at events like Comiket, and just last week, Abe Mihashi was selected as part of an anime character National Promotion Campaign for baseball.

It never struck me as unpopular in the least in Japan.

Never said it was unpopular (at least not in Japan), but it seems as if Free! was both popular there and in the US early on so it should still remain popular when dubbed.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Oofuri didn't sell well in the US apparently. I'm surprised why they don't license Kuroko no Basuke, as its also popular.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
Yeah, Oofuri didn't sell well in the US apparently. I'm surprised why they don't license Kuroko no Basuke, as its also popular.

I'm surprised that Sentai even got Haikyuu!! I doubt Funi would get Kuroko, but maybe Sentai still could since they release sub only.

I really hope CR lets Funi dub and distribute season 1. If not a lot a fans will be disappointed including myself. I want all 25 episodes not just 13. So CR do the right thing bruhs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3