• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the way she articulated her power as reflective of an “abandoned princess”...

I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with anything specific to Roe2, and was simply the summoning incantation for the being she summoned.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
...the way she articulated her power as reflective of an “abandoned princess”...

I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with anything specific to Roe2, and was simply the summoning incantation for the being she summoned.

Exactly. Everything she said right then was part of an incantation and appeared to be about her summon, definitely not herself.

It was never said exactly what Isuzu's song effect was, but at the end didn't it seem like the effect was mingling with the "dead" players' "souls" as they floated to the moon? Not sure why that would effect the people of the land, but hopefully we get an explanation next episode.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not sure why that would effect the people of the land, but hopefully we get an explanation next episode.

It's entirely possible she is manipulating the world and changing the game rules with her song (much like Shiroe did with Rudy and the "contract") since she wants to add it as the 43rd song to the world.

Which, if that's the case, it could affect both adventurers and people of the land alike.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
I agree that this was one of LH's better episodes. There was a good mixture of fantasy, action and philosophy, which is sort of LH's calling card at this point. I also agree that Isuzu's song was the low point. The emotional build up to it with Rudy and the other people of the land was good, but the song just kinda sucked. I guess it could be a symptom of the show's relatively low budget that they couldn't get someone to compose a better song.
sharl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on, there was nothing bad about the gay joke. Kurinon is lesbian and Dolce is transgender, they obviously have nothing against homosexual people.

They were mad because:

A. They don't like most people getting close to Souji.
B. They know Souji isn't gay.
C. They would beat up any random person who asked to marry Souji. If I remember right, there was even one time when one girl was held back from attacking someone over a similar thing.

The fact that the transgender dude was the one that said "oh my! You're into that sort of thing?" was part of the joke.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
A "Genius of Marriage", eh? I would've punched him several times, too. OTOH, he seems... broken... as if whatever created him only put in one sub-routine: the "Will you marry me?" one.

Somehow, this is tied in with the Moon and with dying Adventurers (and their memories). I wonder if the guy was an early prototype of whatever its creator(s) is trying to achieve? Maybe Roe2's letter to Shiroe will shed some light on it.

At any rate, it looks like bad times are ahead for Elder Tales World, and I still think that the situation with the Royal Guard going berzerk, leading to the dropping of the city's defenses was a calculated action by someone.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
And so with episode 21 we are only 1 chapter away from catching up to were the light novel is.

I wonder what the last 3 episodes will bring as they will be past were the source material is.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I would have enjoyed Nyanta and Sesara's conversation if it wasn't because of the sappiest background music I've ever heard in my life...

I also hope this doesn't mean now the world doesn't matter but just aliens outside, it takes away the fun of all the world and trying to take advantage of it and its constant evolution. In fact I was thinking the next level would be other countries/servers instead of going to the moon.

And it would suck if the show ends here because there's no material left, I mean come on, after 50 episodes you are going to end in other cliffhanger without resolution to all it's happening or even advancing that much the conflict between the two kingdoms? And because a rushed quick conclusion is probably not going to happen (and we wouldn't like it either), I don't know what this show is going to do, but it's probably not going to be the satisfying ending I was hoping.

Edit: btw, something happened with Minori's voice? Was she changed or something?

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The worst thing Log Horizon could have done was explain it's mystery. it's been quite fun to hear how the players grappled with this combined world. While the episode had animation flops and some really well drawn scenes my mind keeps coming back to what was said.

Aliens.

Even if it's just a Scientist doing bad science for Science reasons (Wizards don't program games!), I feel like even the smallest victories and world building achievements are rendered moot. We spent the first half of the season waiting for Akatsuki to figure out The Teachings. Well what does that matter, there's no point to it in a game of Harvest or be Harvested.

I hope the explanation in full, when we get to it, is far more creative.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I've liked the second season up to this point. However this episode, and the pure sci-fi vague sort of an explanation to the Apocalypse left me really unimpressed. Definitely agree with the review this time around as this episode's content was really weak and barely any substantial world building took place.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Maybe an LN reader can explain that I'm wrong, (and pronoun and subject identification is such a pain in Japanese that I can't really trust the translation) but I actually didn't get "aliens created the world" from the letter. They said they came to the world along with the adventurers during the Apocalypse, not that they caused it (I think). But maybe that's just wishful reading on my part.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually, if I trust Crunchy translation, their is a big mistake in this review: it is never said that the "Aliens" were the ones that created the world, on the contrary it is said that they came voluntarily by traveling through dimension a la Tsubasa Chronicle. If so they indeed would be capable to send them back to the real world via their machine.

But personnally, I have a theory that it won't be possible. Ever since the explanation of the People of the Land becoming sentient beings, I thought that it was weird. They act reasonnably the same as Adventurer, as much as they can have negotiation and discussions to the point of forming relationships. I thought, if these characters, previously "void", could gain a mind of their own, what could have stopped the creators of the world to "copy" the memories of players and transfered them to prepared bodies into this world? Roe2 in this episode explained that despite being another existence altogether, she still gained the memories of Shiroe when she took the body for example...
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I sort of agree with Caramichael that saying aliens created the world is incorrect. That was never said. However, introducing a concept of an alien race here still feels rather cheap, cliched and altogether uncreative. It doesn't feel right for Log Horizon which so far has done such an amazing job at world-building to a point where such a simplified concept leaves me just stumped.

So, yeah, I also felt a little (more) cheated by the end of this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The arbitrary collision of RPG worldbuilding and real-world mechanics is explained by the fact that Roe 2's caretakers really did just jam two world-ideas together. And the ultimate purpose of the Apocalypse was to harvest “life-energy” of some kind to save a dying race, though upon learning that humans are actually fully self-aware intelligent beings, this plan has been altered.

I think in your outrage over the "aliens" twist, you misunderstood what was being said. Roe2's creators did not jam two world-ideas together, Nor did they create the world that Shiroe and company are now in. Nor did Roe2's creators cause the Apocalypse, nor did they intend to gather energy from adventurers.

Roe2's creators used the phenomena the Adventurers call the Apocalyse to send Roe2 and company to any other universe they could reach looking to harvest empathium, and they landed in Theldesia. The presence of people from the real world was completely unexpected.

It's like a race of aliens spent a bunch of effort into searching out a dimensional rift, sent their creations into the first one they found, and their creations landed in Azeroth. Only to find to their surprise, that everyone playing World of Warcraft at the time had been transported into their character by the same dimensional rift.
sharl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
A really unfair review for episode 22. The "Aliens" are simply people from a dimension different from ours that also went into the same universe. I think they used the event of the Apocalypse to harvest these empathions. Although I found it a little out of place, it was a smart way to add people who were different from ours and the Elder Tale's universes and kinda makes sense that it wasn't just the universe we know that was transported.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14