• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Well, just the fact that he said that is stupendously fitting, considering GamerGate, the community taking some massive mudslinging and some sites even proclaiming "the end of gamers", even though that is, and always will be, 100% bulls---.

I don't know how long William's speech originally went on for, but if it was longer here than in the original novel, it could have been a case of them extending it for budgetary reasons (as the next episode likely does have a ton of action).
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Well, just the fact that he said that is stupendously fitting, considering GamerGate, the community taking some massive mudslinging and some sites even proclaiming "the end of gamers", even though that is, and always will be, 100% bulls---.

I don't know how long William's speech originally went on for, but if it was longer here than in the original novel, it could have been a case of them extending it for budgetary reasons (as the next episode likely does have a ton of action).

On one hand, it didn't take me that long to read through it from what I remember.

On the other hand he's saying more or less the exact same things in both versions. So I'm not quite sure anymore . . .
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Dialogue always takes longer than action, when transferring from script to screen. When doing screenwriting, it's pretty much a rule to estimate 1 minute of film for every 1 page of script.

So far, this season has been 11 episodes, adapting roughly 9 and a half chapters (5 chapters per volume, roughly 350 pages per book). Episode 11 was half of volume 7 chapter 5. Glancing at volume 7 chapter 4, it looks like the first two parts of it are Shiroe on the beach, the next two are Williams speech, and the last part is the end of the episode with Shiroe waking up and them getting ready to go again.

Assuming that the chapters are roughly the same length, that gives us 70 pages per chapter. Break that into the 5 parts, and you have 14 pages per part, and William's speech is 2 parts, for 28 pages. So it fits in the rough estimate for scripts.

The difference, though, seems to be, is that the novel is not just dialogue, but a lot of introspection as well, which is hard to convey in visual media. I think some of it was changed to dialogue, and some may have been unspoken thoughts that were indistinguishable from the spoken dialogue.
HardLight620

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Blatch wrote:

On one hand, it didn't take me that long to read through it from what I remember.

On the other hand he's saying more or less the exact same things in both versions. So I'm not quite sure anymore . . .

I think the main reason for why this season has felt so different from the last season has has been to do with how they have been adapting the content of the novels into anime.

The first season took a distilled approach minimizing the narration down into only the core elements while leaving the rest to action, visuals, and character interactions. This lead to a faster moving story and allowed the characters to act outside of the confines of the original narration. Not only did this allow a much broader focus on the cast and world as a whole, but it also made the world feel alive and constantly changing with or without the participation of its central characters.

This season seems to have taken a much more direct adaptation of the novels' narration. Hence the increased focus on individual character arcs, the increased use of first person narration, and overall increase in directly adapted text from the novels. As Dessa pointed out, this isn't exactly a good thing as it can lead to bloated runtimes for scenes that otherwise shouldn't take that long to get through.

Given the number of novels left to adapt, I can understand that they'd want to increase their runtime in order to pad out the rest of the season, but it leaves a bit of a bitter taste for those who enjoyed the formula of the first season.
natchu96

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
Considering the two volumes they just adapted practically exist for their character arcs alone I honestly don't mind the shift, but I see your point.
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Considering the two volumes they just adapted practically exist for their character arcs alone I honestly don't mind the shift, but I see your point.

Problem is, Akatsuki volume pretty much breaks her character instead of making any significant character development and only then proceed to evolve her from problems created by itself.
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

Problem is, Akatsuki volume pretty much breaks her character instead of making any significant character development and only then proceed to evolve her from problems created by itself.

She's kind of had that "I'm not on Shiroe's level and am just holding him back" mentality ever since that first fight with Demikas though. It's just not very obvious. The "I have friends I never noticed I had that are on the same boat and we can help each other" thing came out of the left field, but the problem never really changed all that much.
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Daerian wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

She's kind of had that "I'm not on Shiroe's level and am just holding him back" mentality ever since that first fight with Demikas though. It's just not very obvious. The "I have friends I never noticed I had that are on the same boat and we can help each other" thing came out of the left field, but the problem never really changed all that much.

Yes, she has that problem in first season, but in there she wasn't pretty much walking alone though empty streets with almost comics-like dark cloud over her head and thinking how weak, useless she is. It's difference in level, tone and way of showing her problems, which are overblown in second season.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Uh... that's because Akatsuki was almost never seperated from Shiroe during the first season, but has been for the vast majority of the second season. It is this seperation, and her uncertainty about the reason Shiroe imposed it, that brought out her inner insecurities (which were frequently shown in the first series, especially when compared to that girl that's crushing on Shiroe). That's not "breaking" her character... this is something called "character development", and I thought it was pretty well done -- especially for an anime. I'll be interested to see what happens when her seperation with Shiroe ends and how it has changed their relationship (as both have done some changing while apart).
natchu96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Uh... that's because Akatsuki was almost never seperated from Shiroe during the first season, but has been for the vast majority of the second season. It is this seperation, and her uncertainty about the reason Shiroe imposed it, that brought out her inner insecurities (which were frequently shown in the first series, especially when compared to that girl that's crushing on Shiroe). That's not "breaking" her character... this is something called "character development", and I thought it was pretty well done -- especially for an anime. I'll be interested to see what happens when her seperation with Shiroe ends and how it has changed their relationship (as both have done some changing while apart).

It ends about as soon as Shiroe solves this whole cash problem. Whole reason he left in the first place, unless something ELSE comes up. Haven't really been able to read the next bit because I know the new season of the anime version was coming up so who knows.

Shouldn't take too long to get that out of the picture.
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It wasn't "pretty well done". It was hamfisted and overblown in almost comical way (seriously, all what was missing was comics-like dark cloud with rain droplets). Additionally, this "character development" didn't really solve anything in the end, as Akatsuki is now mainly building her personal worth on her friends, new weapon and new skills - all external factors, which is only a little less unhealthy than using Shiroe to do it.
The only character that got any really meaningful development is princess, but her problems also started suddenly at beginning of second season, this time without any hints (Akatsuki at least had some in 1st season).
natchu96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It wasn't "pretty well done". It was hamfisted and overblown in almost comical way (seriously, all what was missing was comics-like dark cloud with rain droplets). Additionally, this "character development" didn't really solve anything in the end, as Akatsuki is now mainly building her personal worth on her friends, new weapon and new skills - all external factors, which is only a little less unhealthy than using Shiroe to do it.
The only character that got any really meaningful development is princess, but her problems also started suddenly at beginning of second season, this time without any hints (Akatsuki at least had some in 1st season).

Considering that most of the princess' problems this time around come from the people she barely knew all that well until this season started that actually sort of made sense.

Before it was just all the nobles not realizing that she really just wants to lay on her bed daydreaming all day, but this time it's the fact that she can't understand adventurers at all. Not exactly a sound assessment to make about another culture until you've lived in it for a few months at least, which she finally has. We had the festival incident last season in the fall, and it's only Christmas now.

Wait . . . it actually IS Christmas now. Mind=blown.
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:

Considering that most of the princess' problems this time around come from the people she barely knew all that well until this season started that actually sort of made sense.

Before it was just all the nobles not realizing that she really just wants to lay on her bed daydreaming all day, but this time it's the fact that she can't understand adventurers at all. Not exactly a sound assessment to make about another culture until you've lived in it for a few months at least, which she finally has. We had the festival incident last season in the fall, and it's only Christmas now.

Time skip is not an excuse - there weren't really hints about that in first season, nor were there any scenes/flashback that could explain her decision/problems. This is just magical wand-waving to create new plot problems - especially when first season strongly suggested that happy-go-lucky way of living chosen by adventurers suits her much more (even if she got trolled by Crusty).

Not that this is only "deus ex machina" or plot problem Log Horizon has - mainly 2nd season, but first one had it's problems too, especially in first (poor orphans) part.
natchu96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

Time skip is not an excuse - there weren't really hints about that in first season, nor were there any scenes/flashback that could explain her decision/problems. This is just magical wand-waving to create new plot problems - especially when first season strongly suggested that happy-go-lucky way of living chosen by adventurers suits her much more (even if she got trolled by Crusty).

Who said anything about time skipping as an excuse? If anything the problem inherently makes no sense at all until time has passed. I don't go into what amounts to a foreign country and immediately enter a state of depression that I have no idea what goes through their heads. It's a lot better and more free than a life of nobility, but she doesn't get the people themselves at all or just why they don't seem to give a crap about all the formal stuff.

The fashion and food seems alien, the social structure makes no goddamn sense and compared to what she knows of ruling class people even seems excessively casual, even the most renowned and powerful people have the most mundane backgrounds. The adventurers are awesome, but they're weird as hell, and it's become increasingly clear the more she interacts with them.
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
Daerian wrote:
natchu96 wrote:

Who said anything about time skipping as an excuse? If anything the problem inherently makes no sense at all until time has passed. I don't go into what amounts to a foreign country and immediately enter a state of depression that I have no idea what goes through their heads. It's a lot better and more free than a life of nobility, but she doesn't get the people themselves at all or just why they don't seem to give a crap about all the formal stuff.

The fashion and food seems alien, the social structure makes no goddamn sense and compared to what she knows of ruling class people even seems excessively casual, even the most renowned and powerful people have the most mundane backgrounds. The adventurers are awesome, but they're weird as hell, and it's become increasingly clear the more she interacts with them.

And all of this should have been shown/suggested at the end of season one or in flashbacks/scenes in season 2, not dropped instantly on us.
This is not bad development - it's way in which it was presented thats awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14