• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Everyone calm now? Because I'm disappointed that in 12 pages no one mentioned the best continuity from Fate/Zero

Last edited by Stall_19 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
^ Oh my god...

Ooooooh my goooooooood spoiler[YOU'VE BECOME YOUR FATHER KIREI YOU'VE BECOME YOUR FATHERRRRRRRR.]
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, it's realistic! I tend to walk in circles when I'm explaining stuff, too.

Also, I like how you can see from those two gifs alone how much better-directed FSN is. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
@Stall_19

I almost wish ANN had a forum rep/upvote/like/etc thing just so that post could get the love it deserves. Bravo.

EDIT: Looks like the original source of that gif was twitter user @Yuyucow So thanks Yuyucow!

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
I may have given a slight cheer when Kotomine completed the full circle.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
Slight objection to this part of the review:

Quote:
Having passed its trial-by-Shirou, I'm excited to see where this show goes from here, especially as an adaptation of the Unlimited Blade Works route. It has the strongest thematic material and least dubious content of all three arcs, making it a great choice as the successor story to Fate/Zero.

It's hard to argue that Unlimited Blade Works has the strongest material of the three routes, especially as a standalone series.

But as a follow-up to Fate/Zero? That's another story altogether.

Of the three routes, UBW has the least to do with the events of the prequel. Saber is dealt with in Fate (which was adapted in the first F/SN anime). The matters of spoiler[Kotomine, Illya, Sakura, and the Holy Grail War itself] are all conclusively resolved in Heaven's Feel (which, if it only gets one film for its adaptation, will almost certainly be a massive clusterfuck).

UBW? About the only place it even touches Fate/Zero is Kiritsugu's ideal...and even then, only through the prism of Shirou, who adopted it as his own.

If you watch this series expecting a Fate/Zero sequel, you are going to be disappointed--and that would be a shame, because the material being adapted here is very strong, and fully capable of standing on its own.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
@Animerican14: I don't want to go into it too much here since it's off-topic, but blocking on Twitter was due to your earlier well-actually-ing and condescending behavior to Gabriella during the FSN livestream this summer. I block fairly liberally, I should say.

Also, the post you're quoting me on here was not in response to you, it was in response to Chuee--and pretty specifically for them and that post by them.

Oh, that commentary on twitch? Man don't think I was even the worst offender there! But even then, don't think I've tried to make black or white indictments of anything. It was probably my first social group experience with more than one or two people on F/sn, though, so I guess it was a bit rough. Never meant to disparage or personally condescend anyone either.

And I know you were targeting that post towards Chuee-- just saw that last line of "but at least try to argue with what people are actually saying" as an opportune segue into the point I was trying to make-- "that I was replying something to which you did say and yet..."-- which I would've not attempted had I not that twitter kerfuffle happen. But thanks for replying to me here and not writing me off *completely* in the forums, I guess.

----

Doing my part and thinking about the actual UBW anime (and its potential) here, then. There was something that I wanted to reply to very early on in the thread...

JesuOtaku wrote:

It's just...it's a really dodgy game, and I'm not surprised that this adaptation has danced away from all the dodgy stuff so far. It'll be interesting once we get to the Caster stuff to see how it plays out, though. Veeeery interesting.

I think it's more likely that the scene will be included in some fashion, if their faithfulness so far is something to go by, even if it's the "all ages" Realta Nua version of Unlimited Blade Works they're using (whose only scenic difference was in regards to the sex scene, iirc). And I don't think it's so ultimately beneath them to have Saber in her Lily dress if the DEEN movie did it, same position as in the VN and all. (A body position I've seen reasoned as being the way it is, actually, because spoiler[Saber is wanting to not slouch on her knees and have her arms and bindings hang above her like some common prisoner.] Huh. Doesn't do much to change my overall disdain for the scene, though.)

spoiler image of said Saber Lily from Unlimited Blade Works Film

Heck, ufotable has already put a key art of Saber in a dress out there which.... doesn't look quite the same as her Caster-chosen dress in the UBW film/VN. Might she be wearing the dress for a different purpose? Is this just a redesign for the same sort of scene? Or is this just substance-less promotional stuff they put out in March?

As it's been said before, the anime will have the benefit of not having the VN's narration over this scene, so there's that for sure. The most realistic hope, in lieu of Lily Saber stuff having a better chance of being in the anime than not, might be for ufotable to showcase the scene in as non-titillating a light as they're willing for the sake of fans more used to Fate/Zero, being selective and sensitive in their decisions regarding scene framing and direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
There is something Saber mentioned in passing during this episode that I'm guessing some people missed: namely, Saber says spoiler[that she recalls having been in that town before.] Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but that is because most people don't know that spoiler[Servants (Heroic Spirits) do not typically recall anything from their prior summonings. They remember their past lives, and that's it. Saber is a special case because, as King Arthur(ia), she became a Heroic Spirit *while still alive*. As a result of this, she remembers all of her previous summonings -- none of the others do.]

Just thought I'd toss in that bit of trivia for those who might be interested.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
In addition her reasoning for not entering the cathedral was changed.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
lol I got into this mindset of "If every episode has this quality for the fight scenes, then I have even more to look forward to in this series!"
And then I remembered the VN...
"Oh, it's time for the info dump episode!"
My memory is fuzzy from the VN, but were there anymore long expositions between the action/important shocking bits that could potentially leave us with another full episode of info-dumping?

I'm not against info-dumping episodes, but I did find myself even less interested in this one than I was of the one in Fate/Zero for some reason... Maybe I'm just not as interested in Shirou as a character, so the part relating to his psyche and heroic outlook wasn't as exciting to me. Or maybe it was just less dynamic than Kirei's "I am still trying to figure myself out" hints from the info-dump of Fate/Zero.

And I can't be alone in dreading the future scene where spoiler[Kiritsugu's daughter gets her heart ripped out of her body...] ...right? In the visual novel, I was sad because I found it written pretty despairingly. In the film adaption, I was horrified because it was presented more shockingly and was visually animated instead of visually implied, like it was in the VN. This is far too likely to be even more shocking because the director is good at that stuff... |||OTL
PHOliveira88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

And I can't be alone in dreading the future scene where spoiler[Kiritsugu's daughter gets her heart ripped out of her body...] ...right? In the visual novel, I was sad because I found it written pretty despairingly. In the film adaption, I was horrified because it was presented more shockingly and was visually animated instead of visually implied, like it was in the VN. This is far too likely to be even more shocking because the director is good at that stuff... |||OTL

Oh, but let's not forget how glorious this scene will be for people who were introduced to the Fate franchise through Prism Illya. I'm already anticipating the flaming, specially because spoiler[Gil will become their ally] in Zwei Herz.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm not against info-dumping episodes, but I did find myself even less interested in this one than I was of the one in Fate/Zero for some reason... Maybe I'm just not as interested in Shirou as a character, so the part relating to his psyche and heroic outlook wasn't as exciting to me. Or maybe it was just less dynamic than Kirei's "I am still trying to figure myself out" hints from the info-dump of Fate/Zero.

Or maybe you have already heard the same infodump on two occasions. The episode didn't portray Shirou's psyche much during that infodump anyway. Especially the Yorokobe part was lacking.
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
>>excited about UBW
>>haven't watched, excited to read the review
>>reading review
>>reading thread
>>...
Lose all excitement from reading both, and can't figure out why but feels so disappointed ( Anime cry) I'd never read any review & thread from a series I'm excited for ageeen T^T

@Stall_19
MOTHER OF GOD AHAHAHAHA!!!
Such a light between all of this
Merostay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
^ Oh my god...

Ooooooh my goooooooood spoiler[YOU'VE BECOME YOUR FATHER KIREI YOU'VE BECOME YOUR FATHERRRRRRRR.]

not really, Kirei is a bit more Macguyver, while his father is more Steven Seagal
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ehhh .... dis thred. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the show so far. Its pretty chill so far but it looks like stuffs gonna start getting heated pretty quickly if the end of this episode is any indication. Rin and Archer are the strongest characters so far so I hope they stay in the forefront for a decent amount of time.

The animation is pretty great so far. The characters movement are pretty distinct from one another. The backgrounds are gorgeous. Only issue would be maybe I'm a little put off by Ufotables gradients everywhere and what looks like a buttload of after effects filters. Seemed excessive in the fight in ep 1 especially. Not too big a deal but it was noticeable.

Enjoying the show so far nevertheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 136