• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merostay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
yeah, the "A new Retelling for the new generation" is growing old, especially since the interview refered to a new generation of VN fans, not Fate/Zero first viewers.

Its just that Fate/Zero fans wanna feel entitled that this is made for them, not for anyone else
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Could I have some link/pointers to these feminist reinterpretation of Medea myth? As a person really interested in mythology I would really like to see how does such interpretation work.

On topic: Medea and Circe are probably few of the least sexist female characters in entire ancient Greece mythology. We can talk entire paragraphs about woman scorned, but Medea was still one of the few proactive women in Greek mythology, with intelligence, power, her own agenda and ability to seize it - since she appears in Argonauts myth, she instantly becomes main power behind entirety of Jason succes.
She is much more than woman scorned archetype and Fate/SN shows it perfectly, while being fairly faithful to original myth. Personaly, I find quotes like
Quote:
identity as a "vengeful, scorned woman."
and
Quote:
sexist caricature
rather insulting to character, because they ignore entirety of her characteristic, power, cunning and intelligence and concentrate only on one (important, but still) part.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
@SilverTalon: I'm skimming your posts about Zero, since I'd like to be able to watch it on my own eventually. Besides, if folks who played the original VN before Zero even existed emerged unscathed, I should logically be able to do the same with it's anime counterpart. Especially since, by your own admission, this adapation is

You can read it safely. I mentioned Lancelot in response to you earlier because I don't consider events in the first story to be spoilers when talking about a sequel, but after you said you hadn't seen it, I wouldn't directly respond to you with an unmarked spoiler. I was just pointing out that what you were afraid Zero would spoil, this series is just directly feeding it to you instead of it being intended as a reveal later on like the VN. So far, Zero would spoil the VN's 'shocking' revalations, but ufotables UBW clearly isn't going to have them to be spoiled by Zero in the first place.

And that was because the VN was out years ahead so for those fans it was already too late to have a choice. That doesn't change the fact that FSN spoils the ending of Zero where as Zero doesn't spoil anything nearly as important in the VN.

whiskeyii wrote:
You're just going to have to put up with the fact that I'm going to watch Zero after completing UBW.

I don't care what order you watch it in. Its not like I've never watched or read anything out of order. I was just pointing out that the reason you stated for your decision is based on inaccurate/misleading information. If you're fine with that, then I don't care.

whiskeyii wrote:
"Logic and past events", huh? Considering the mod warning at the beginning of this thread, I don't think you can blame me for thinking this adaptation, as nice as it's been so far, might take a slightly sexist approach to some of its female characters. Again, MY past experiences with this show, and the franchise as a whole, are dictated by fans (i.e., this thread) and what I've seen so far of the show. I don't know what, if any, relation this Caster has to Fate: Zero, but whatever it is, I have no access to it.

I have no idea what the exact cause of that mod comment on the first post was, but the most sexist thing in the VN was in Shiro which is probably related to why the reviewer keeps mentioning this Shiro being much better. And I have to agree, Shiro is much better as a MC with ufotable essentially removing that aspect of him entirely.

Regardless, hearsay doesn't count as knowledge of past events... Thats like playing a game of telephone and speculating based on what the last person said. Sure, technically nothing is stopping you from doing that, but that doesn't make it not ridiculous. Actually this might be even worse since that comment didn't even have specifics whatsoever to begin with.

Merostay wrote:
yeah, the "A new Retelling for the new generation" is growing old, especially since the interview refered to a new generation of VN fans, not Fate/Zero first viewers.

Its just that Fate/Zero fans wanna feel entitled that this is made for them, not for anyone else

That was from a teaser. A teaser which also called it a sequel. It is also supported by this version having absolutely no issue showing important stuff way early (Gil, Kotomine, Excalibur) as if it expects you to know about them anyway.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Could I have some link/pointers to these feminist reinterpretation of Medea myth? As a person really interested in mythology I would really like to see how does such interpretation work.

On topic: Medea and Circe are probably few of the least sexist female characters in entire ancient Greece mythology. We can talk entire paragraphs about woman scorned, but Medea was still one of the few proactive women in Greek mythology, with intelligence, power, her own agenda and ability to seize it - since she appears in Argonauts myth, she instantly becomes main power behind entirety of Jason succes.
She is much more than woman scorned archetype and Fate/SN shows it perfectly, while being fairly faithful to original myth. Personaly, I find quotes like
Quote:
identity as a "vengeful, scorned woman."
and
Quote:
sexist caricature
rather insulting to character, because they ignore entirety of her characteristic, power, cunning and intelligence and concentrate only on one (important, but still) part.

Okay, I'm going to clarify a few points, because I get the impression I'm confusing some folks. I DO like spoiler[Medea's] myth (minus the part where she spoiler[kills and/or murders her kids]; some interpretations make it accidental rather than purposeful). I like that she basically did the grunt work to get spoiler[Jason] the fame and fortune he got.

What I don't like? The possibility (and keep in mind that I'm new to FSN) that this adaptation is going to distill spoiler[Medea] down to just "a woman scorned". I also think "a woman scorned" is an old tired trope that is slightly sexist since it almost always applies to women only in fiction.

And personally, for me, I think spoiler[Medea] was an odd choice for Caster because her myth is not as widely recognized as other magicians. Plus, according to my friend who read the wiki, spoiler[Shakespeare] and spoiler[Hans Christian Anderson] qualify as Casters as well, for some bizarre reason.
Merostay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

And personally, for me, I think spoiler[Medea] was an odd choice for Caster because her myth is not as widely recognized as other magicians. Plus, according to my friend who read the wiki, spoiler[Shakespeare] and spoiler[Hans Christian Anderson] qualify as Casters as well, for some bizarre reason.

thats because sometimes servants are chosen for "What their personality might be","What said servant might represent",and sometimes their chosen because "Their noble phantasm can make a great plot point"

Shakespeare was chosen for his personality(Upon summoning his master instantly used a command spell to prevent Shakespeare from turning/writing his life into a tragedy because he has "Write to life" powers)

in the Prototype version of F/SN, Fate/Prototype, the author chose Hercules and Gilgamesh, because he liked the idea of "The most popular hero fighting the most obscure one"(the prototype was writen in the 80`s when people would have to look Gilgamesh up in a library, not on the internet)

This Caster was chosen above others like Merlin and Morgan la Fey,Circe,Cybele because of what the author had her noble phantasm be.

and again ,Caster hasn't shown any "Woman scorned" attitude, and so far its all been Archer`s slander. He calls her a woman scorned the same way he calls Lancer a dog, because it pushes their buttons. Later on he also calls out Saber on her wish because it pushes lots of buttons
Daerian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

And personally, for me, I think spoiler[Medea] was an odd choice for Caster because her myth is not as widely recognized as other magicians.

I'm not entirely sure why do you say that - spoiler[Medea] is one of the most know magical characters in classical stories. Yes, Merlin or Morgana are known better, but we already have abundance of arturian myths in Fate and everywhere else.

whiskeyii wrote:
(minus the part where she spoiler[kills and/or murders her kids]; some interpretations make it accidental rather than purposeful)

You are forgeting that spoiler[if she is denied being wife, she is now concubine, and her childs are not free people anymore - for her, being dead was better for them than being slaves. Also, there are interpretation when she didn't kill them, they were killed by others.].

whiskeyii wrote:

What I don't like? The possibility (and keep in mind that I'm new to FSN) that this adaptation is going to distill spoiler[Medea] down to just "a woman scorned"

You should really wait before making accusation on this level as you do now when you don't know story.

Also, I'm talking mainly about review.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

You should really wait before making accusation on this level as you do now when you don't know story.

What accusations have I made? I just said I don't like the "scorned woman" trope. Besides, this falls under speculation--my point is that I DON'T know the story, but that doesn't mean I can't speculate about where I think the story's direction might be headed, or what kind of characterization might show up. And I could be wrong--who knows?? Again, everybody's acting like it's somehow wrong for me to not know how UBW ends before watching the adaptation of it. Oi vey!
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the bigger issue is that all of this has come as a result of an offhand comment made by the always-snarky Archer taken too far. If you're speculating than you're giving too much weight to a single character's words.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
I think the bigger issue is that all of this has come as a result of an offhand comment made by the always-snarky Archer taken too far. If you're speculating than you're giving too much weight to a single character's words.

Er, he specifically says "she'll take her anger out on you" and "a woman's fury is hard to control". Considering that Archer is fairly spot on about his observations, even with the snark, how could I not think his words have merit in what kind of person Caster is?
Merostay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
navycherub wrote:

Er, he specifically says "she'll take her anger out on you" and "a woman's fury is hard to control". Considering that Archer is fairly spot on about his observations, even with the snark, how could I not think his words have merit in what kind of person Caster is?

well, if i think about it, they did cut out the part where Archer claims he might remember who Caster was from back when he was alive out of episode 4.Then again they also cut out the part where Rin ask Archer if he can still fight after blowing up his noble phantasm.(as opposed to using it)
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
my point is that I DON'T know the story, but that doesn't mean I can't speculate about where I think the story's direction might be headed, or what kind of characterization might show up.

It means you shouldn't be getting into pages long rant how Caster being "vengeful woman scorned" just ruined everything, when you don't even know if or to what degree she is "vengeful woman scorned".

whiskeyii wrote:
Again, everybody's acting like it's somehow wrong for me to not know how UBW ends before watching the adaptation of it. Oi vey!

Everybody started be telling you to chill out, before you went into pages long rant based on one short comment, designed to sting as much as possible, made by snarky character known for messing with his opponents.
Additionally, when you don't know how does story ends and someone tells you to chill out, wait and see you don't really go onto rampage.

Not knowing story is not an excuse for ranting (this is far beyond speculating at this point) how bad it is, because you think you saw something which will ruin it. At this moment you are talking not about the show, but your personal vision of show and your speculations, and making accusations based on your own vision how show will go. Which is something I really don't like.

On different note, could I get some links/pointers to those articles/books about feminist interpretation of Medea? I'm really interested in it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hell, at this point I've been reduced to quoting myself.

whiskeyii wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I am not commenting on your speculation of the future, merely on your assertion that vengeful women have no place in anime.

I don't know where you're getting this idea; I said previously ufotable might be able to pull it off successfully. MIGHT. Again, I don't know. But I also said I find it a tired, beating-a-dead-horse, boring, and slightly offensive (because being vengeful woman IS a gendered stereotype, like I mentioned in reference to the idiom "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"; there is no male equivalent for this idiom in popular culture) trope.

I've said this THREE times. Ufotable could pull this off, but I find the possibility of Caster's persona being reduced to a old, tired stereotype that I personally find irritating worrisome. Just as people found the possibility that Cross Ange would continue to showcase scenes like its infamous ending sequence in the show to be worrisome and/or bothersome.

I've never stated that I won't watch the rest of this show. I've never even said I think using spoiler[Medea] "ruined" the show. (I don't think she was a particularly smart choice for the Caster role in the original VN, but that's purely because her legend is so obscure, as it's overshadowed by the much more easily-recognizable spoiler[Jason]) But hinting at that kind of stereotype is worrying for me, not damning. Particularly because I've enjoyed this show so far BECAUSE it's avoided a lot of bland stereotyping.

Could my apprehension be for nothing? Sure. I've already stated that I could be proven wrong--and at that point, I'm not sure what else other posters want from me. But sexism in anime tends to be a sore point for me--and it's made more glaring by how not-sexist this show has been thus far.

As for the alternate tellings of spoiler[Medea's] legend, I read them years ago in a library somewhere, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the book's title was--some kind of anthology of female-centric legends.
Merostay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I've said this THREE times. Ufotable could pull this off,

thats another sore spot of mine, When Caster turns out to be more than a stereotype, people will sing Ufotable`s praises and ignore that she wasnt a stereotype in the original material

that and the reviewer going "Thank god Shirou didn't say something sexist to Saber when he opened his mouth" everytime Shirou doesnt say something sexist...
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

(I don't think she was a particularly smart choice for the Caster role in the original VN, but that's purely because her legend is so obscure, as it's overshadowed by the much more easily-recognizable spoiler[Jason])

Since when is she obscure? Her myth is one of the three most recognisablespoiler[ ancient Greece myths: Heracles, Argonauts and Iliad/Odyssey]

whiskeyii wrote:

But hinting at that kind of stereotype is worrying for me, not damning. Particularly because I've enjoyed this show so far BECAUSE it's avoided a lot of bland stereotyping.

Just wait then, Caster is much more than just woman scorned Wink

whiskeyii wrote:
As for the alternate tellings of spoiler[Medea's] legend, I read them years ago in a library somewhere, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the book's title was--some kind of anthology of female-centric legends.

Thanks, I will then stay with Graves Wink

Merostay wrote:

that and the reviewer going "Thank god Shirou didn't say something sexist to Saber when he opened his mouth" everytime Shirou doesnt say something sexist...

I must agree. Reading reviews it seems like entirety of original novel was big, typical eroge with tons of glaring sexism, and only the ufotable reedition put there strong, interesting female characters with their own agenda beyond swooning over Shirou. Which is really unfair to original source, but well, we are not allowed to talk about it, so I silence myself now.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
(I don't think she was a particularly smart choice for the Caster role in the original VN, but that's purely because her legend is so obscure, as it's overshadowed by the much more easily-recognizable spoiler[Jason])

I'm someone who doesn't pay much attention to myth & legend stories yet I know of Medea and I don't ever recall ever hearing who Morgana is until you mention it. Maybe I'm just weird Razz
Why does it matter if her legend is obscure or not?
Maybe I'm clueless but before the Fate series I had never heard of Cú Chulainn, Diarmid O'Dyna, Gilles de Rais and Hassan-i Sabbah (most from Fate/Zero BTW). I could care less if their obscure or not.

Last edited by Levonr on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 136