• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Why are we talking about things that aren't even going to happen in this anime? I'm pretty sure that is the only appearance the worms will have in the anime and they didn't even do anything.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I should point out that the scene with Shinji and Mr. Golden-haired didn't occur in the VN. In fact, IIRC, there are no references at all to the worms in the Stay Night or Unlimited Blade Works paths -- they're found in the final path -- Heaven's Feel.

That said, the worms *are* found in the VN, and the issue of what happens to Sakura *does* come up in the final path, so the discussion about them isn't entirely out-of-place, particularly since ufotable decided to insert that scene in at the end, probably to help set up the character of Mr. Golden-haired and to keep Shinji and his personality in the minds of the viewers.
kingcity20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
kingcity20 wrote:

Now sure we'll end this debate because this has clearly become a, "only our opinions are allowed, and anyone who disagrees with our opinion could potentially be banned," type of site.

This isn't even close to what was said.

Eeh I over exaggerated a bit. At least I didn't call his/her opinion crap though

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I should point out that the scene with Shinji and Mr. Golden-haired didn't occur in the VN. In fact, IIRC, there are no references at all to the worms in the Stay Night or Unlimited Blade Works paths -- they're found in the final path -- Heaven's Feel.

That said, the worms *are* found in the VN, and the issue of what happens to Sakura *does* come up in the final path, so the discussion about them isn't entirely out-of-place, particularly since ufotable decided to insert that scene in at the end, probably to help set up the character of Mr. Golden-haired and to keep Shinji and his personality in the minds of the viewers.

The scene with Goldie and Shinji at the matou basement does occur, I don't think the worms are mentioned at all though. it's called "Result of Utnapishtim" if you want to look it up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Gabriella, did you interpret it as Caster keeping secrets from her master specifically? I took it that there was no real deliberate attempt to deceive there. She simply hadn't told him. Up until this point at least, he seems to be happy to give her free reign to do as she pleases and handle all tactical decisions. He's essentially not even participating in the Grail War.

Anyway, I like this focus on Caster much better. FSN arguably has one too many servants to cover effectively in one go. In the other route (or at least the other Fate/Stay Night anime) Rider and Caster both get their little few episode arc but neither feels entirely satisfying. This version has definitely been better for simply killing off Rider early on and letting Caster get more screen time.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
BDsprite wrote:
Add in the fact that Nasu supposedly outsourced the H-scenes so he didn't have to write them himself[..].

The fact is that he wrote them himself on Takeuchi's advice up until Hollow Ataraxia. It's been touched upon in his interviews.

And the seafood is a meme. It was one or two scenes and not even in F/SN. Talk about vomiting, black holes and educated prostitutes if you have to, not that I fully trust TakaJun with those translations.

Quote:
male power fantasy is a big part of F/SN

Yes, its criticism, even if some parts of the plot seem to follow the power fantasy tropes. What concerns damsels, Shirou himself is one several times, episode 6/7 being one of them.
BDsprite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
Seriously? Nasu did write the H-scenes? Wow, that's a depressing revelation. I had assumed they were outsourced even before I'd heard the rumours online. The drop in quality and OOC nonsense is just that bad I instantly assumed it was a different writer. Ah well, I stand corrected. The seafood was a generalization, but you can't deny that the H-scenes are still flooded with awkward similes, ocean-related or not.

Not sure I agree with the power fantasy being 100% self-aware critique though. I love F/SN, and I do believe that most of the cliche shonen tropes are intentionally there for the purpose of deconstruction. But, regardless of the intent behind them, I feel they still serve the same purpose of inflating the ego of the reader vicariously, and there are plenty of moments where that effect is still relied upon to entertain us. spoiler[Nine Lives Blade Works for example: Sure, the real reason that scene exists is to show how committed Shirou is to his self-destructive path, and to nail in the concept that extreme acts have equally extreme consequences. But you can't deny the real reason people remember that scene is for that feeling of awesomeness watching the MC beating down a powered-up Berserker in the literal span of 3 seconds.]
I do enjoy analyzing the characters and themes of F/SN, and the first time I read the VN they were what I cared the most about, but I'd be lying if I said that the coolguy power fantasy moments weren't the main reason I came back to read the VN every time since. The exception being my two favourite parts, 'The Answer' and spoiler[Kirei's last monologue in Heaven's Feel]. In those scenes I look forward to the debate and clash of ideals just as much as the flashy fights, if not more. I hope ufotable does those scenes justice.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
BDsprite wrote:
The seafood was a generalization, but you can't deny that the H-scenes are still flooded with awkward similes, ocean-related or not.

Sure, but he's much more diverse in his similes and metaphors than just seafood. Smile

Quote:
Not sure I agree with the power fantasy being 100% self-aware critique though. I love F/SN, and I do believe that most of the cliche shonen tropes are intentionally there for the purpose of deconstruction. But, regardless of the intent behind them, I feel they still serve the same purpose of inflating the ego of the reader vicariously, and there are plenty of moments where that effect is still relied upon to entertain us.

And its up to the viewer how they read it. I can be entertained by Shirou projecting swords without inserting myself in the character.

There is a duality in this though. People who self-insert will obviously get a rise whenever Shirou does something cool. Character materials supposedly mention that Shirou had a plain, simplistic visual design, because Takeuchi and Nasu were worried that people wouldn't be able to insert in Shirou due to his personality. The first-person narrative itself also implies that you're supposed to self-insert.

I'd say the many bloody bad ends and unreasonable choices that are necessary to advance the plot show how little freedom the reader actually has and it serves well for getting across Shirou's character. So I don't think that criticizing power fantasy and asking readers to self-insert necessarily contradict each other. It's like saying: "Imagine being a hero, having cool powers, fighting villains, but..."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
kingcity20 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

The scene with Goldie and Shinji at the matou basement does occur, I don't think the worms are mentioned at all though. it's called "Result of Utnapishtim" if you want to look it up.

I'll be. My apologies to everyone, then, on getting that wrong. It's been several years now since I played the (original) VN. Looks like I'm going to have to be more careful in the future about making definite remarks about it. Still, I was at least correct about there not being any worms involved, so I wasn't *completely* wrong.
Merostay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
kingcity20 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'll be. My apologies to everyone, then, on getting that wrong. It's been several years now since I played the (original) VN. Looks like I'm going to have to be more careful in the future about making definite remarks about it. Still, I was at least correct about there not being any worms involved, so I wasn't *completely* wrong.

well, there`s no mention of the "worms" in the scene, but thats because the "worms" dont appear until the 3rd route thats only unlocked after finishing the second.
but there is mention of "something" squirming/scurrying about the basement,what that "something" is is never mentioned,but try guessing what it is again.
kingcity20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BDsprite wrote:
Seriously? Nasu did write the H-scenes? Wow, that's a depressing revelation. I had assumed they were outsourced even before I'd heard the rumours online. The drop in quality and OOC nonsense is just that bad I instantly assumed it was a different writer. Ah well, I stand corrected. The seafood was a generalization, but you can't deny that the H-scenes are still flooded with awkward similes, ocean-related or not.

To be fair Nasu never wanted to do them at all, in none of the works. He was basically pressured into it because they didn't think the VN's would sell without them. I'm 90% certain Nasu halfassed them just to get them out of the way.
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
kingcity20 wrote:
BDsprite wrote:

To be fair Nasu never wanted to do them at all, in none of the works. He was basically pressured into it because they didn't think the VN's would sell without them. I'm 90% certain Nasu halfassed them just to get them out of the way.

I have read somewhere that h-scenes were written by Takeuchi, as Nasu didn't want to have anything to do with them.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
^
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/kanwatsukihime/10.html

There's another interview on the same site where he says that Takeuchi persuaded him to make an eroge. He agreed, because he wanted to write, and this was the way he felt he could reach an audience.
Merostay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
^
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/kanwatsukihime/10.html

There's another interview on the same site where he says that Takeuchi persuaded him to make an eroge. He agreed, because he wanted to write, and this was the way he felt he could reach an audience.

by that inteview is sounds like Takeuchi merely directed the h-scenes,not that he wrote them,plus that interview is about Tsukihime,it speaks nothing of Fate/Stay Night, maybe by the time he started writing FSN 3-4 years later he did do the scenes himself

also, im proud to announce i finally found out the reason why Rin messed up when she summoned Archer

"Umm, Miss Tohsaka, your kinda standing inside the summoning circle.Your Servant wont have any room to appear,so were going to have to bring him to you in a different way.I hope you werent too attached to the shingles on your roof."
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Merostay wrote:
by that inteview is sounds like Takeuchi merely directed the h-scenes,not that he wrote them,plus that interview is about Tsukihime,it speaks nothing of Fate/Stay Night, maybe by the time he started writing FSN 3-4 years later he did do the scenes himself

It speaks about what kind of partnership Nasu has with Takeuchi. H-scenes in Fate are stylistically similar to those of Tsuki, so even if he wrote them without outside input, the influence is there.

Also, for those who don't know yet, the final episode this season will be another double-length one. Considering how much material they're covering now, it leaves me hopeful that there will be a significant amount of original scenes in the spring season. Just please no overlong flashbacks a la Kiritsugu.
Merostay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
i dont know if it counts as the "original scenes" everybody wants to see or not, i hope they include Kuzuki and Caster flashbacks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 136