• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
So, how many fans did spoiler[Gilgamesh] just lose after that episode?

You'll want to wait until after spoiler[he literally rips her heart out of her chest] next week to ask that question.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I really do doubt that people will start disliking blonde guy just because he killed Illya and Berserker. In the first place he was more popular than Hercules. I mean, this is the Holy Grail War, it is expected for major competitors to die. Not saying I wasn't sad about Illya, though. I liked her a lot, but it seems like it's the end of the road for her.
The review already said that there would be major spoilers for F/Z, so I don't really see a point to hide a lot of the stuff.
Quote:
Last week the reviewer got shit for not obfuscating (decade-old and widely known) spoilers.

This week she gets shit for deliberately avoiding (decade-old and widely known) spoilers.

I think the issue here is that she's deliberately inserting unneeded questions to fill the gap of avoiding spoilers. I mean, asking, "Was all of the energy in the past Grail used up?" wasn't really necessary since Dark Irisviel herself said something along the lines of, "The Greater Grail's energy was not all used up." "Maybe he's connected to Archer, who can also conjure blades?" I mean, come one, half the servants are from mythology, so it's not surprising if they're to be related. And just from seeing their skill sets, I see no real motive to suspect they are related. And this isn't really Gabriella's fault here. When she writes these reviews, she subconsciously pulls info from F/Z and F/SN by DEEN. If she tries to omit these then she won't be able to write naturally anymore. I see two ways this series' review can keep going. Have Gabriella go full on spoiler for F/Z and F/SN DEEN version, since only a small amount of people here have not watched its predecessors, or have another reviewer review this series who has not watched the ones before this one.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
this anime its really so much epic.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen Fate/Zero and is starting with this work:

Whatever that major spoiler was, it's not something that wasn't already hinted at/addressed in the episode itself. So I'm okay with relevant spoilers like that. The review also clarified some of the sketchier details on Illya's family/creators, which was nice. Courtesy of this thread though, I had Tall Blonde Man and Caster's identities flat out stated to me during the first season, even after saying I was new to the franchise, which took a lot of fun out of the guesswork for me. Y'all seem to really have it out for new fans. :/

As for the feigned surprise business going on in the reviews, yes, sometimes it's laid on too thick; I'd be extremely surprised if anyone didn't have at least the tiniest bit of suspicion as to who Archer is by this point. But in this review? Some of those questions are questions I have as a new fan, and I don't mind being reminded of them. I don't know why this war is happening sooner, what the big shindig 10 years ago was, or why Tall Blonde Man can summon a legion of swords. And I look forward to finding that out for myself. Razz
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Whatever that major spoiler was, it's not something that wasn't already hinted at/addressed in the episode itself. So I'm okay with relevant spoilers like that. The review also clarified some of the sketchier details on Illya's family/creators, which was nice. Courtesy of this thread though, I had Tall Blonde Man and Caster's identities flat out stated to me during the first season, even after saying I was new to the franchise, which took a lot of fun out of the guesswork for me. Y'all seem to really have it out for new fans. :/

That's what happens with shows that already have a large fanbase. The original VN came out in 2004 and has had multiple adaptations and spinoffs. I've run into the same thing with Attack on Titan. It seems like the only thing to do is avoid comments/forums if you want to completely avoid spoilers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
I personally think Ilya's death was better done in the movie. It was more of a shock. In this adaptation Gilgamesh just stabs her in a very anticlimactic way :/
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
It's clear Illya's death was cut off (heh, get it?), probably to not show explicitly violence on children-looking (although apparently showing her almost naked body is A-OK) characters, even though Illya is older than Shirou, this is obvious since they had no problems in killing older-looking homunculi in a very gruesome way, like cutting off arms, piercing them repeteadly, etc. Of course in a movie there is no limitation such as these.

whiskeyii wrote:
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen Fate/Zero and is starting with this work:

As for the feigned surprise business going on in the reviews, yes, sometimes it's laid on too thick; I'd be extremely surprised if anyone didn't have at least the tiniest bit of suspicion as to who Archer is by this point. But in this review? Some of those questions are questions I have as a new fan, and I don't mind being reminded of them. I don't know why this war is happening sooner, what the big shindig 10 years ago was, or why Tall Blonde Man can summon a legion of swords. And I look forward to finding that out for myself. Razz

Well, truth be told, if you were able to tell who the Tall Blonde Man AKA Rock Howard was you'd moop the floor with Sherlock Holmes, Columbo and Conan at the same time because goddamn if there is anyone who doesn't live up with the myth is him. It is known the origin of his Noble Phantasm but it was made up because it was just plain cool, not because it is from his actual myth. The only ties with his actual myth are spoiler[Enkidu, the chains used in this episode, Ea and his chant, Enuma Elish.]

Last edited by Valhern on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I personally think Ilya's death was better done in the movie. It was more of a shock. In this adaptation spoiler[Gilgamesh] just stabs her in a very anticlimactic way :/

One, that's how it happens in the VN, IIRC.

Two, it's not done yet. I expect that next week's episode will continue the current scene without any sort of time-lapse.

Three, remember to spoiler Blond Guy's name until it is revealed in the series. This series is the first time some people have experienced any part of the Fate franchise.

Oh, and Valhern... look up at point #2.
SaphirKnight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode's biggest weakness is overdoing it with the tragedy during Ilya's death scene. While the emotions worked, they spilled over into bathos a little bit with both Ilya and Berserker having around three "final moments" each. Visually, it was yet another accomplishment. The best moment was Ilya and Berserker's fight with the wolves. It was an unusually visceral and bloody confrontation for a series where combat is dominated by acrobatics and magic projectiles. I'll miss Berserker as a presence. He was animated with an impressive and fearsome amount of weight.

Sigh, as much as I love the animation, and it is breathtaking, you completely missed the whole point as to why Ilya's death scene was meant to be so emotional. You have a girl who's just lost the closest thing she has left to a real family; that feeling of trust and security that was once "betrayed" then rekindled, has now been taken from her again. Then you have Berserker, who defied all odds, and surpassed his mythos and limits, for the sake of his master's safety; and keep in mind that this is Berserker, who's not supposed to possess any sanity or manner of rationale. This shows us the bond that these two have with each other, rather than the standard master servant relationship, and I personally see it being far more than just the mutual acknowledgment of them both being "tools". It's not overdoing it, so much as it is purposefully supposed to be overwhelming to see this being destroyed.

Also, do you really not know who Shinji's servant is, or are you purposefully staying ignorant? You seem to have watched F/Z, so how the heck do you not know this?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
SaphirKnight wrote:

Also, do you really not know who Shinji's servant is, or are you purposefully staying ignorant? You seem to have watched F/Z, so how the heck do you not know this?

Yes she does as she's played the game (at least a portion of it) and seen Fate/Zero. But keep in mind in UBW his identity hasn't been disclosed yet so it would be a bit mean to spoil that for people starting with UBW.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
And Rin trying to restrain Shirou as THAT happened. Intense Shocked

Once again demonstrating what an imbecile Shirou is. He can't keep his mouth shut to save his life literally. Who needs a hero like that.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Well this episode firmly put me in the watch Fate/Zero first camp because a lot of that assumed you had some idea of what happened in the previous war.
SaphirKnight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes she does as she's played the game (at least a portion of it) and seen Fate/Zero. But keep in mind in UBW his identity hasn't been disclosed yet so it would be a bit mean to spoil that for people starting with UBW.

True, but then I beg to question the justification in spoiling an important part of F/Z.

Quote:
For all you F/Z fans, remember when a corrupted version of Irisviel emerged from the Grail to damn Kiritsugu? Well, the Grail's back to tempt Ilya, seeing as she's Kiritsugu's baby from his marriage with the Einzbern homunculus.

This right here should be kept for the F/Z fans and them only. They know what happened, they don't need to be reminded. For those who haven't seen F/Z and planned to after UBW, this is a huge spoiler. Plus, she already stated in her review, and I quote "WARNING: This review contains major spoilers for Fate/Zero." Logically standing, she has no real reason to hold back on anything. Confused
PJsalt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
These reviews are jam packed with misinformation about the setting and story. Some of it seems deliberate, like they're trying to keep people from figuring out the plot twists (that have been spoiled for over a decade already), but other stuff feels like mistakes made by somebody who never read the source material and just read a summary of it, or else didn't even bother with that.

I'm probably going to be debunking BS arguments based on these inaccuracies for years to come. Thanks ANN.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
PJsalt wrote:
These reviews are jam packed with misinformation about the setting and story. Some of it seems deliberate, like they're trying to keep people from figuring out the plot twists (that have been spoiled for over a decade already), but other stuff feels like mistakes made by somebody who never read the source material and just read a summary of it, or else didn't even bother with that.

I'm probably going to be debunking BS arguments based on these inaccuracies for years to come. Thanks ANN.

What inaccuracies do you mean? There haven't been any mistakes about what's happened in the episodes themselves, just questions about future episodes. The reason they're trying to avoid spoilers is because not everyone has seen/read the other adaptations or the VN. Even if it was revealed a decade ago, there are going to be some people who don't know it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 136