• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What type or genre of manga do you usually read?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
So the title says it all.

WHAT TYPE OR GENRE OF MANGA DO YOU USUALLY READ?

There are a lot of types:
Shonen, Shoujo, Seinen, Josei, Kodomo, Doujins.. and many more..

so what kind do you usually read?

Me, as long as it's interesting and has a good plot on it..but I'm more of Josei, Shoujo, Kodomo and a lot of Shonen. Smile

Manga Rules!
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
Shojou definitely.

I've been reading a lot of shonen recently, but that's just because the anime's too slow and I can't wait. Personally I prefer watching my shonen because the fight scenes are just must watch.

I love reading shojou, however. There's really no difference between a shojou manga and an anime for me, except probably that the latter's colored and filled with twinkly lights and colorful backgrounds. But the effect is virtually the same. Since I love reading books, especially chic lit, I love reading shojou manga as well. What I love most about reading shojou manga is the fact that it's all still pictures. It's like you freeze frame every sweet moment. And then you can use your imagination as to what happens before and after.

So there.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
I read tons of different things, but I have a soft spot for some kinds of manga.

Old shoujo manga - especially the ones from the seventies, back when women drawing shoujo became the norm. The shoujo frontier. I love how young female artists went all out, experimented with genres, themes and styles, and produced some of the most influential manga ever.

Horror - I love horror manga. It's hard to explain why, because it's something I've always been into. I guess I like how they can get to you. Oh, but I;m not a huge fan of those 'horror' stories that are more about blood and gore than about fear. A good horror story has atmosphere, a feeling of something not being quite right that creeps up on you and then, bam!, the revelation that something horrible is about to happen and that there is no escape.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
It's like you freeze frame every sweet moment.

Man, that is such a sweet way to describe shojo! But really, it's the main reason I'll get paused on a panel in any genre. But you're also right that your brain is pretty good at filling in the gaps of what happens as well, it makes manga quite easy for me to read as a result, so long as the right moments are captured.

As for what I read, every genre! Though, much like Tamaria, gotta love 70s shojo! It seemed to be a far more experimental time when it came to shojo and we got a lot of fantastic stuff outta that era that hasn't quite been mimicked since, so most all of them are pretty special.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everything
Amano Ginji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I used to read anything I could get my hands on but lately I've been reading mostly Seinin. Either slice of life or samurai stuff.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'll read anything as long as it's good, regardless of type or genre. I tend to swing towards shoujo and josei though. I'm another vintage shoujo fan. Swan is one of my favourite series ever.
molecule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
i really like shoujo and josei manga..i am not really a fan of shounen battle manga but i like fman and one piece..
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Usually i'll read seinen, i favor thinks like Berserk and Gantz but i like anything as long as the story is good. For example id have Honey and clover in my top 5.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Breezy slice-of-life series are pretty nice.

But I'll read anything if the art's worth writing home about. Even if the story tends towards incomprehensible, the effort put into each panel can factor heavily into my level of enjoyment.

See: Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Or BLAME, Berserk, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, etc.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
In my manga I prefer more drama as I think it works better on paper then it does in anime. Also anything Sci-fi, Horror related I'm always interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Usually what my friends recommend me. My list says that that proportions of shoujo/shouen are nearly equal. Definitely genre isn't the primary factor when it comes for me to choose. Especially that the demographic definitions rarely tell us about the target- while series marked as "shoujo" usually appeal to girls, shouens fanbase seems to be pretty balanced (FMA, Inuyasha-OMG, that was for boys? Very Happy )

What is important for me is the length and status: I prefer finished series with complete scanlations or being released by reliable publisher that won't drop it after several volumes. Recently I also don't have patience for long-running series and prefer short ones.
Banna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Most shoujo and josei for me though I do like a few shonen series like Kenshin.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Seinen. Occasionally some shounen, but it can feel a bit too young and un-relatable too me.

In terms of specific genres, I mostly like moe/girl's love stuff, science fiction, slice-of-life, battle manga, or just good quality stories.
sphyre052

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry If I'm somewhat different..
I usually read Mystery, mecha, gender bender, shoujo (sometimes), romance (sometimes), school life, ans slice of life.
Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4