• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Macross TV Anime Project Announced With Singer Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just hope Kawamori finds a better way to bring conflict to the series other than some other heretofore unknown spacefolding entities, but I suppose the magical ability of music will still be different.

Civil War, perhaps?

The worst part is, Frontier already did hive mind aliens AND transhumanist threats.

But you just know, whoever the new threat is... they will be giants in some respect.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I doubt this could even be simulcasted with the legal snarls this franchise has. I can't wait to see how the series turns out (at least this new series will be treated with respect unlike Gundam).

Thanks for the laugh. The last series was terrible and it looks like they're just following suite as oppose to ding something different
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Another "Macross" series? Good. Now we have an excuse to bitch about "Robotech" despite probably being the reason you watched "Macross" in the first place.

Nope, I've never seen Robotech aside from Shadow Chronicles. First Macross I encountered was Macross Plus. I owe nothing to Robotech, HG, or Macek.

Hoppy800 wrote:
I doubt this could even be simulcasted with the legal snarls this franchise has. I can't wait to see how the series turns out (at least this new series will be treated with respect unlike Gundam).

Gundam is just ridiculous right now, with soon to be 3 ongoing animations and having just come off a long OVA. It's overload at this point and makes me appreciate how sparse Macross releases keeps each installment feeling fresh and interesting.

There was nothing fresh or interesting about Frontier since all it did was played tropes of modern anime straight right down to the bad CG and bad love triangle. In fact I don't even think fresh and interesting describes any entry in the franchise barring SDF.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Your level of cynicism is amusing. Frontier was epic space opera at its finest.

And its CGI was great for its time. Some of the best actually, because at the time I recall really hating Mecha shows that relied heavily on CGI mecha, and how they never meshed with the 2D backgrounds very well. Then Macross Frontier hit, and the 3D/2D integration was a LOT better then most of its contemporaries. Now we've reached a point where the melding of 2D and 3D looks pretty good most of the time. HD becoming standard probably has a lot to do with that.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

There was nothing fresh or interesting about Frontier since all it did was played tropes of modern anime straight right down to the bad CG and bad love triangle. In fact I don't even think fresh and interesting describes any entry in the franchise barring SDF.

^ 100 time ^^^^^
The Macross franchise is stale, it has run out of steam. As ChocoBar says Kawamori continues to recycle the same tropes since 1983. While it was a novelty in Macross and a little less in DYRL it was becoming stale already with Macross II. And after that it has become a running joke. There is abosolutely no creativity in the Macross franchise anymore. Kawamori can't even come up with a decent non contradictory timeline/s structure for pete's sake. Rolling Eyes

You cannot compare Gundam and Macross. While the former franchise has evolved over the course of almost four decades, Macross had been too much conservative. It's simply past its due date. And no, flying planes in space won't save it anymore.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Saying 100 times, still doesn't matter. A lot of people liked Frontier also, I am one of them.

Maybe the things you are calling stale, are Macross's core concepts. I can live with that. Frontier hit my buttons, so I would say its a success.

Be that as it may, have no problem with you not liking either, I didn't like some of the early Macross sequels.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Your level of cynicism is amusing. Frontier was epic space opera at its finest.

Your delusion is not as amusing unfortunately
Quote:

And its CGI was great for its time. Some of the best actually, because at the time I recall really hating Mecha shows that relied heavily on CGI mecha, and how they never meshed with the 2D backgrounds very well. Then Macross Frontier hit, and the 3D/2D integration was a LOT better then most of its contemporaries. Now we've reached a point where the melding of 2D and 3D looks pretty good most of the time. HD becoming standard probably has a lot to do with that.

Actually it didn't. In fact it had worse CG than its prequel OVA ZERO which came out in 2002 but I see you're too much of a blind fanboy to see.

Last edited by ChocoBar1 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Saying 100 times, still doesn't matter. A lot of people liked Frontier also, I am one of them.
And a lot of people like SEED, AoT and a plethora of other bad anime, what's your point?
Quote:

Maybe the things you are calling stale, are Macross's core concepts. I can live with that. Frontier hit my buttons, so I would say its a success.

So basically Macross fans have low standards and can't distinguished good or bad just the fact that it has the Macross name to it they'll gladly lap to it because they're desperate, might explain why DYRL gets praised despite it being incredibly dated.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
You cannot compare Gundam and Macross. While the former franchise has evolved over the course of almost four decades, Macross had been too much conservative. It's simply past its due date. And no, flying planes in space won't save it anymore.

Hahahaha.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Be that as it may, have no problem with you not liking either, I didn't like some of the early Macross sequels.

Yes and a lot of people like Gundam Seed Destiny. So what ?
I'm not criticising the fact that Macross is popular, I'm criticising the fact that the creators of this franchise have run out of steam. And they always make the same damn thing. Over and over again. You know after 30+ years maybe some change in the structure of the narrative or the famous/infamous love triangle would be welcome.
Maybe it's time to dump Kawamori and simply bring in new blood.
crimso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, since nobody else has done so so far, I'm going to say it:

Nyan-nyan, nyan-nyan, nihao, nyan! Gojesu, derishesu, dekarucha!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Except for Macross II, I've really liked every Macross anime production so far and I'm hoping this new series won't be any different.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Except for Macross II, I've really liked every Macross anime production so far and I'm hoping this new series won't be any different.

I like Macross II. As far as sequels are concerned, this one although only an OVA was the one that better captured the original Macross theme. Macross Zero was so substandard storywise, Macross 7 brrrrr, and Macross Frontier I just couldn't cope with.
I like Macross, but I wish Big West would take away the reigns from Kawamori and give them to someone that can do something original with it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
So basically Macross fans have low standards and can't distinguished good or bad just the fact that it has the Macross name to it they'll gladly lap to it because they're desperate, might explain why DYRL gets praised despite it being incredibly dated.

If dated were a way to criticize something, everything older than Eva could be called dated. Gunbuster? Dated. Bubblegum Crisis? Dated. Harlock and GE999? Super dated; so I guess that means they're all terrible because we're using some arbitrary measure or worth.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

DYRL was alright for me, but since I watched Robotech first, it kind of paled it for me. I know that is heresy to say, but for me it is true.

As for what you said, that is not true. DYRL was alright for me, but I truly liked Macross Plus and Macross Frontier. The others were blah for me. I think most people have their favorites just like that. Sorry you feel like that, but most Macross fans are not mindless zombies as you seem to be implying.

@Cptn-Taylor
Idols, music, love triangles, and mecha seem to be the Macross thing, without them, why call it Macross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6