• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Celestial Method

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 review: good review nothing major to dispute.

However nothing can save this anime from the fact that it up to now had depended on the most idiotic behavior on the part of its main characters. Yuzuki and Shione are both perfectly satisfied to call Nonoka a "liar" and not for one minute consider Nonoka's feelings or even her side of the story. Or even admitting she even has one.

And these girls have been holding a grudge like that for more than half their lives. Over not seeing fireworks? And it is all Nonaka's fault?

Meh. I have seen highly contrived drama in anime before and it can actually work really well. So far this hasn't been doing it for me.

Yet I'll keep watching a few more episodes since as the review points out we do seem to have reached a turning point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Shione's anger at Nonoka is ridick, too, but there is more to it than simply not seeing fireworks. From what I gather, Shione is cheesed that Nonoka (through no fault of her own although Shione doesn't know it) left town without saying goodbye and, because this is anime, Nonoka never made any attempt to contact her old friends once she moved away because Japan has no postal service, telephones, internet or carrier pigeons.

Also, just like we found out the "real" reason for Yuzuki's anger this eppie, I suspect we may find out an additional reason for Shione's bitter-er than a thousand sour plums 'tude.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to believe that with production values this impressive and a very interesting setting that the anime could fail at the most basic tenets of storytelling. I can't empathize with any character other than Noel and in some cases Nonoka because they're all so over dramatic and nonsensical about the most innocuous matters.
Wtv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that to me, Shione is the one that makes more sense there. Just imagine you have a best friend, one day you wake up to see her and suddenly she's gone. You don't know why or where, you don't know if she's coming back, ever. It's even worse if you're a introverted person with difficulties to make friend. Nonoka really betrayed her, and it's all Nonoka's fault. She could explain that she was moving, they could have accepted that together in time. Hell, they could promise trade letters. I understand kids not having cellphone, but everyone has a address, right?

In fact, Nonoka probably had Shione's and her others friends address, so it makes little sense that she never asked her parents to help her contact them. Maybe her mother died soon after they moved and she was so devastated by it that forgot everything. I'm reading Umineko right now and something similar happened, so it's possible.

But as of now, Shione makes a lot of sense, it's Nonoka who doesn't.

There's a lot of things that doesn't make sense in this anime though. Like:
-Nonoka never talk to Noel about her being the saucer. Even when it's important. For example, this episode she could ask: "Hey, Noel, can you, like, make the saucer invisible for one day or two?". Maybe it's impossible...but who knows, she never tried to find out.
-Noel hiding that she's the saucer to everyone else actually doesn't make sense either. She talked to Nonoka with no great reason, and she even told those tourists, even if not directly, but...
-Yuzuki's reason is good enough when you don't think about it, but...you know, her brother is fine. I could understand her hating the saucer to hide her blame for some days, but seven years? They should have made some bigger drama, like him not being able to play some sport after the accident, or some cliche like that.
-Not really something that doesn't make sense, but those flashback showing them not being able to go to the fireworks after Nonoka leave to encounter them...wasn't it important? That could be a reason to why Nonoka wants to see it so much now, since they couldn't see it together in the past, but all that sequence was to vague to understand if that's the case.

As of now, my biggest problem with this series is that it's looking like it will end exactly like AnoHana. Nonoka's wish is probably the same as Menma, and the ending looks like it will be similar.

But anyway, when you like anime for so much years, you kind of learn how to ignore things that doesn't make sense, so...I'm liking it so far.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Finally, the characters are starting to break away from being the character types I referred to earlier. They are becoming more nuanced, and that was something I found sorely lacking until now.

As far as those stating that Nonoka would have been able to contact her friends and so forth - by writing letters and what not... my problem is we are projecting our more mature selves as adults onto what we believe seven year old children would/should be thinking about. The fact that Nonoka never got to say goodbye makes it all the more awkward, then there is the idea of addresses.

This may be rampant speculation on my part, but given the complex kanji used throughout Japan, it seems unlikely to me that Nonoka could have been able to write letters (much less send them) without help from an adult. Given the family situation and dealing with her mother's health, the friendships dealt with as young children just aren't a priority.

As far as Shione goes, I'm still standing by my point made earlier - from what we've been shown, it's more about "You left me" and "you forgot me" than the repeated "you are a liar," and that's her defense mechanism. Time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Some of the characters have been really immature to an annoying extent, but thats not what bothers me most. The whole time since Noel told Nonoka she was the saucer I was screaming in my head "just ask her to scooch over so you can do the fireworks!" or something similar.
Snufalufagus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
"I also have to wonder if looking at the picture of Nonoka and her mother made her realize that while she lost the festival and got her brother injured, Nonoka's mother actually died, making her grudge pale in comparison."

I may be wrong here but I don't remember where they ever outright said that her mother died just suggested it. Also until the end of the last episode they did not even know they knew each other. So how would she know Nonoka's mother had died. It seems that Nonoka left because of her mother's failing health and that she never told her friends that she was leaving and certainly not why.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

After a promising first episode, 3 weak episodes and 2 good episodes (5 and 6), this show has started two grown on me. I am more optimistic than Rebecca because I think this series has gradually gotten good and began to solve the characters' issues. I believe the next 2-3 episodes will decide whether this anime can be rewatch worthy or forgettable.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The tamest hot spring episode I've seen in a while. Glad they actually use it for characters growth instead of cheapo fanservice. No boobs groping, no accidental peeking. Imagine that. Wink

... and I wish they'd give Koharu more screen time. I find it odd that she's the only character without any (serious) personal issue so far.
TD912

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[...]she witnesses Nonoka's insane strength in an arcade punching game. (The girl can hit.)

I think you missed the part around 12:43 where the lady goes "Huh? The notice fell off." and tapes a "Out of Order" sign to the game.

I think they were trying to show Nonoka is strong but gentle at the same time.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I did see that, but since Yuzuki failed to get it lit all the way to the top, I assumed that it meant that Nonoka was still physically stronger...and I'd wager emotionally stronger as well, which could lead to her gentleness. (If that makes sense. It's been a long day.)
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Seems that this episode will be interesting. I haven't seen episode 7, but no problems, when I have time, I'll watch it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
A moment of silence for the Friendzoned Souta. I still rooting for the Souta x Koharu.

Noel won't go to the trip because she can't see the saucer? Either due to her feeling insecure (like a kid asking to keep the hallway light on, to help calm them down), or it's somehow related to Noel's... Health? Operating Condition? (Noel might be a Gynoid for all we know).

Is Shione warming up a little? One might hope.
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Sora no Method Episode 7

TL;DW:spoiler[ that ENDING SONG

Hoshi no Kakera - fhana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3es1CubNz0
]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Grrade: B

I agree with Rebecca that the series should have spoiler[giving us more of Nonoka and Shione at peace]. I also want to think that something big better be going on to justify the last scene in the episode.

I continue to grow more fond of Celestial Method, and I want to see a strong conclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4