• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Simpsons Halloween Episode Pays Tribute to Popular Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel no honor, The Simpsons is just crap now. And it's not a case of it not being as good as the early seasons, it's actually a bad show now. So bad that anything referenced by it, even positively, is more degrading than honorable.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I squeed so hard lasJt night when I saw Homer as Zoro... sure it's post time skip, but I can take what I can get... I never thought in a million years that they would reference One Piece!

Also Zoro drinks a lot and is sometimes lazy... so it's a good match...
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I did watch this episode and as usual, it was meh to crap. But the references were great, especially the Despicable Me versions.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
You know... Lisa makes for a pretty decent Mikasa, IMO. :p
I haven't watched a new episode of The Simpsons in years - my husband shows little interest in the show, and it always comes on during times when we're busy - but I did enjoy this clip.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I feel no honor, The Simpsons is just crap now. And it's not a case of it not being as good as the early seasons, it's actually a bad show now. So bad that anything referenced by it, even positively, is more degrading than honorable.

I do not watch, so I have no opinion, but those who actually watch the show still rate it very high.

So you probably have a fatigue, which develops naturally towards nearly everything if it lasts that long.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
im just surprised they managed to reference anything modern as from previous digs at anime id thought they hadn't seen any in three decades.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I do not watch, so I have no opinion, but those who actually watch the show still rate it very high.

So you probably have a fatigue, which develops naturally towards nearly everything if it lasts that long.
It was alright for the first season, well maybe the first half of the first season. After that it decomposed into nothing but piss takes and parodies. My anime wishes to return the tribute for a refund because it's not genuine.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Homer as Zoro. Marge as Matsumoto. Bart as Naruto. Lisa as Mikasa. Maggie as Pikachu. And Santa's Little Helper as Haku.
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Fatique? I can't go one day without some scene or quote floating in my head from the early seasons of the show and I always laugh. The show just stopped being funny for a very long time and there's no reason to ever go back at this point. I also hate how the show looks now that it's been sanitized to be so on-model.

You want to talk about being fatigued? Why not talk to various artists who have worked on the show that hate the directions they have to follow when it comes to drawing characters and story-boarding. The voice actors sound fatigued at this point too and speaking of which Harry Shearer has expressed his displeasure with the writers who work on the show for not understanding the characters.

That's another thing a show such as The Simpsons is only as good as the writers and they aren't always going to be around. Writers leave and get replaced and it seems they've just run out of even half way decent ones over a decade ago.

Blind loyalty to a brand is the only guess I can make on why an adult would still find this show funny. I know I saw the film which wasn't good and didn't even have cinematic quality animation.
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I was surprise they show it anime reference
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't take much for a writer to put in "draw them in Anime style" into the script. I stumbled upon a blog of one of the show's artists and he's pretty into Anime and recently started watching Attack on Titan so that's probably why these references are more recent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't matter what we say here - The Simpsons still draws a mighty audience.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/simpsons-toast-25-years-songs-stars-064753520.html

http://mashable.com/2014/09/29/family-guy-simpsons-crossover-ratings/

That's why it can command hefty advertisement fees and afford to pay its staff ridiculous wages.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Meh, only good reference there was the callback to The Island of Dr. Hibbert at the end.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It was alright for the first season, well maybe the first half of the first season. After that it decomposed into nothing but piss takes and parodies. My anime wishes to return the tribute for a refund because it's not genuine.

How much of the early seasons of the Simpsons have you really seen? The first season is universally felt as crude and unrefined, whereas seasons 2-7 are considered A+ material even to this day. It didn't "decompose into nothing but piss takes and parodies" until roughly season 12.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the entire family has terrible taste in anime. Well, except Santa's Little Helper, who appears to be a Miyazaki dragon.

I guess, though, if they'd all been GOOD anime characters, almost nobody in the audience would recognize them. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4