• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Simpsons Halloween Episode Pays Tribute to Popular Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGlibra03

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was cool that the Simpsons did a tribute to some popular anime series. I liked Homer as Zoro from One Piece, Marge as Matsumoto from Bleach, Bart as Naruto From Naruto, Lisa as Mikasa from Attack on Titan, Maggie as Pikachu from Pokemon and Santa's little Helper as Haku from the Spirited Away movie. I also loved when the Simpsons did a tribute to the movies by Hayo Miyasaki.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

How much of the early seasons of the Simpsons have you really seen? The first season is universally felt as crude and unrefined, whereas seasons 2-7 are considered A+ material even to this day. It didn't "decompose into nothing but piss takes and parodies" until roughly season 12.
Like I wrote. Half of first season. Then is got so old and mundane for me that I couldn't care if I ever saw another episode of it ever again. It could be I just don't like, or don't get America's concept of humour, or maybe I didn't like the way it portrayed American culture. Either way it left a sour taste that I rejected early on. It seems your mileage was more enduring. One man's vinegar is another's fine wine. Wink
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:

How much of the early seasons of the Simpsons have you really seen? The first season is universally felt as crude and unrefined, whereas seasons 2-7 are considered A+ material even to this day. It didn't "decompose into nothing but piss takes and parodies" until roughly season 12.
Like I wrote. Half of first season. Then is got so old and mundane for me that I couldn't care if I ever saw another episode of it ever again. It could be I just don't like, or don't get America's concept of humour, or maybe I didn't like the way it portrayed American culture. Either way it left a sour taste that I rejected early on. It seems your mileage was more enduring. One man's vinegar is another's fine wine. Wink

Odd since The Simpsons is popular all over the world and even has a niche audience in Japan. Maybe you just don't find the jokes funny and it has nothing to do with it being "American"?
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It was alright for the first season, well maybe the first half of the first season. After that it decomposed into nothing but piss takes and parodies.

LOL, i have to wonder if this guy ever watched one single episode.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. But is it ok to say that we don't need to be trendy anymore?
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It was alright for the first season, well maybe the first half of the first season. After that it decomposed into nothing but piss takes and parodies.

I agree; it is pretty much the most bizarre assessment of The Simpsons I have ever heard. Claiming the first 6 or 7 episodes are the best and that everything else is crap is certainly a unique perspective on The Simpsons...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The first two seasons of The Simpsons are subversive, but not particularly clever. Seasons 3-8 of The Simpsons are a nearly nonstop ride of genius. Season 9 and 10 are the show losing its edge. Then comes the long road of mediocrity we still "enjoy" today. The movie was good, at least, and you still get a decent episode here and there, but the show's not been The Simpsons as I knew it for over a decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to see the Simpsons become what it was a satire against, and resort to weak Family Guy-level jokes and celebrity worship.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The opening segment was completely forgettable, to the point where I can't even remember its title without going to Wikipedia or the Simpsons Wikia. "A Clockwork Yellow," on the other hand, was awesome; it's not quite "The Shinning" from way back in "Treehouse of Horror V," but still above average, even by the lowered standards of recent seasons. "The Others" was still enjoyable, if only to see the contrast between the Tracey Ullman-era Simpsons and the modern Simpsons; it was still worth it just to see Zoro, Rangiku, Naruto, Mikasa, Pikachu, and Haku at the end, though.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
That was the worst episode of Simpsons I've ever seen.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Apparently the entire family has terrible taste in anime. Well, except Santa's Little Helper, who appears to be a Miyazaki dragon.

I guess, though, if they'd all been GOOD anime characters, almost nobody in the audience would recognize them. Wink

I will never be unamused by the tiresome, sheep-like "popular shows are bad" mentality.
It's a surefire way to identify the ones who can't bring forth a constructive discussion.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

First season is janky as hell and most people would agree the show didn't hit its stride until a few years later. Even though people enjoy giving the Simpsons shit, and have since like 2000, I still enjoy many of the newer episodes. It's not like in anime where every episode has to count for something, we know the Simpsons are perennial and eternal, so a bad episode every now and then doesn't throw me.

I'll give the episode an A, just for some Pat Benatar and reminding me of American Pop.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I work in broadcasting. Sadly where I work has syndicated it. I have to see it on several monitors at a time on a daily basis. I can't stand it. Thankfully I don't have to listen to it as well. It use to do well in the ratings, now we just fill programme blocks with it, but I'd rather watch test chart with 1khz. tone than the simpson's. I just try to ignore it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I squeed so hard lasJt night when I saw Homer as Zoro... sure it's post time skip, but I can take what I can get... I never thought in a million years that they would reference One Piece!

Also Zoro drinks a lot and is sometimes lazy... so it's a good match...

and the ironic thing is One piece once aired on fox during the 4kids days (but it's obvious everyone wants to forget about that)
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The Simpsons has just gotten too zany, wacky, and dumbed itself down too much. The older seasons, including the first (though not as much as 2-6), had much more witty humour and the stories had much more substance to them. The fact that they crossed over with Family Guy and were not even allowed to be their newer selves shows how low it's gotten, not that they would have been funnier if they were their current selves.

And it shows what a hypocrite Matt Groening is for allowing the crossover but having been totally against one with The Critic for reasons being that he was against crossovers.

BTW, check out The Critic, first chance you get!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4