• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Simpsons Halloween Episode Pays Tribute to Popular Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A lot of the shows I enjoy are mainstream, but Naruto, Bleach, and the like were chosen because they cater to the lowest common denominator.

That's not helping your case.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Doesn't matter what we say here - The Simpsons still draws a mighty audience.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/simpsons-toast-25-years-songs-stars-064753520.html

http://mashable.com/2014/09/29/family-guy-simpsons-crossover-ratings/

That's why it can command hefty advertisement fees and afford to pay its staff ridiculous wages.

This is what I am talking about. Millions of people watch and love the show as it is right now (and most of them never seen the first season or even tenth season), and they say it is really clever and smart. While most of early fans just tired of it and always say the grass was greener in the good old days.

penguintruth wrote:
A lot of the shows I enjoy are mainstream, but Naruto, Bleach, and the like were chosen because they cater to the lowest common denominator.

I would not group those two shows together, let alone call them the lowest common denominator.

Naruto is outstanding in how well-thought and multi-layered its story is, and how calculated some of the fights are. Only Hunter X Hunter can compete among all projects of this genre -- at least of those that I am aware of. Huge part Naruto's anime is one of the worst for quality of actual animation, here your mention of the lowest common denominator is correct.

Bleach is outstanding in terms of graphical design, it is unique. On the story part, it is the lowest common denominator.

So for your purposes I would choose other shows.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still in the camp that watches new Simpsons episodes wanting to like them, and, the past few seasons, I've ended up liking them about half the time, which is actually a great improvement over a decade or so ago where the show was batting maybe .200 in my eyes.

I think the peak of Simpsons being a poor man's Family Guy was in the middle of the last decade (yes, starting before Fox brought back Family Guy proper in 2005) and now, while there are still plenty of Family Guy-esque episodes, there are more episodes written by people who actually give a crap about (minimal) character development that are still mediocre compared to my favourite "episodes with a heart" (i.e. "Marge Be Not Proud", "Summer of 4ft2", and "Bart Sells His Soul", all season 7 episodes, incidentally, so you can probably guess which season is my favourite), but a lot better than The Simpsons was during the darkest days of the era that brought us "Saddlesore Galactica" and "Simpsons Safari".

The highlight of FOX's Sunday night offerings for me is obviously Bob's Burgers (when it's on), which is on another level of greatness entirely compared to current Simpsons, but I'm glad I'm enjoying The Simpsons again a lot of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Simpsons is old news, American Dad is back.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Al Jean should really step down as showrunner. That's all I gotta say.
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The Simpsons was my favourite show until about 5 years ago, when it was replaced by One Piece. Now I even prefer South Park and American Dad to it. But seeing the family dressed as the characters from my favourite animes (except Bleach) made my day. Especially Homer as Zoro, who's my favourite character of all time. Best. Reference. Ever. Amazed one of the Simpson's writers actually knows what One Piece is, let alone Attack on Titan. They must have watched Toonami before doing this.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Shit's legit! One of the best things I've seen in a while, I can't believe that they did that! I bet that most of America only recognized Pikachu, and if not then Naruto as well.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't know about this "Simpsons" episode. I missed it. It's a shame. I would have liked it. I hope that an anime show does the same thing that "The Simpsons" did recently. They also had an episode that poked fun at Hayao Miyazaki's work. I hope that the Japanese viewers of this show enjoys those episodes. But,looking at them,I think they will.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
^Snomaster1, I'm pretty sure it's available for free on Hulu now. If you have a computer, you can watch it still.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
So the creators are definitely aware of these anime titles that today's anime fans all know of? Finally, mainstream North America knows that there's more anime out there than just DBZ!

As for the other references, I also like that bit with them parodying the Minions from Despicable Me as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4