• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun S DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
^ You mean "never finished Index", I presume?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
^Whoops, fixed Embarassed . Nice catch.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
The entire index world is a toss up for me. I love the world building going on but there are moments that simply break any attempt to suspend my disbelief.

In particular, the end of the first season with scientists who have supposed PHDs but are unable to make basic inferences or assumptions using the scientific method...

Actually, it's really jarring how many of the "smart" people in this world are beyond stupid outside of our "heroes."

LUCKILY, the second season's first arc did not do that (though we had our daily dose of child prodigies).

On a slightly off topic note. Are we not going to discuss Saten's choice of summer beverage?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
On a slightly off topic note. Are we not going to discuss Saten's choice of summer beverage?

Wasn't that part of the running gag with the vending machine?
Stiles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Stiles wrote:

Generally speaking, I don't understand for the life of me why some people like Railgun, but not Index. Index is the parent story and actually drives the plot forward. Both seasons of Railgun are mostly side story material and useless filler.

I started out watching a couple of episodes of Index first, then started checking out some Railgun, and eventually just stayed with Railgun and never finished Index. I just found it much more entertaining, and I like the slice of life elements, as well as the focus on Mikoto and her friends. I don't dislike Index, but I've never gone back around to finishing it.

I liked S, even though the sister's arc moved away from the s.o.l. that drew me to the series in the first place. The stakes were high, the episodes were intense, and the fight scenes were cool (although some of the fights dragged on a bit longer than I would've liked). It's a shame that Kuroko and company had less screen-time (for the record I actually like Kuroko and her crazy antics amuse me). I did prefer the Febri arc more though. I still need to watch the dub, though I like what I've heard so far of it (aside from sissy).

Oh, and as an aside, how much knowledge of Index does one need to know to understand the movie?

In terms of the in universe timeline, the Miracle of Endymion occurs during Index II. I wouldn't recommend watching it without having seen all of Index I and a certain amount of II.

I don't mind that people enjoy Railgun for their own reasons, but the universe and story in general isn't as s.o.l. or 'cute girls doing cute things' as the Railgun adaptation might have you believe. That's really the only reason it weirds me out, Railgun just feels a little too far removed from what the story is about, with the exception of the expanded Sisters arc.

I think some Railgun fans are in for more disappointment on the topic of s.o.l., because the story only gets heavier from here on out. Railgun III would mostly likely continue to be like the expanded Sisters arc and less like the Silent Party (Febrie) and season one.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
The entire index world is a toss up for me. I love the world building going on but there are moments that simply break any attempt to suspend my disbelief.

In particular, the end of the first season with scientists who have supposed PHDs but are unable to make basic inferences or assumptions using the scientific method...

Actually, it's really jarring how many of the "smart" people in this world are beyond stupid outside of our "heroes."

By first season, are you referring to Index or Railgun? If you're referring to Railgun, then you're probably referring to the anime-only Poltergeist Arc. Both that Arc and the Silent Party Arc have some of the most facepalm-worthy moments in the the entire Index franchise. Though the Index anime also has its own facepalm-worthy moments as well (a lot of the ecchi scenes in particular)...

kevinx59 wrote:
I started out watching a couple of episodes of Index first, then started checking out some Railgun, and eventually just stayed with Railgun and never finished Index. I just found it much more entertaining, and I like the slice of life elements, as well as the focus on Mikoto and her friends. I don't dislike Index, but I've never gone back around to finishing it.

That's not necessarily a problem. I personally think that the quality of the Railgun animes is superior to the Index animes. Though the true difference between them may be on whether they devote their time to the plot and action or to slice of life moments. I'm basically the opposite to you. I really battled to get through the second half of Railgun due to the excessive SOL moments and the aforementioned facepalm moments in the Poltergeist Arc. It was just easier for me to enjoy Index more than it.

Quote:

I liked S, even though the sister's arc moved away from the s.o.l. that drew me to the series in the first place. The stakes were high, the episodes were intense, and the fight scenes were cool (although some of the fights dragged on a bit longer than I would've liked). It's a shame that Kuroko and company had less screen-time (for the record I actually like Kuroko and her crazy antics amuse me). I did prefer the Febri arc more though. I still need to watch the dub, though I like what I've heard so far of it (aside from sissy).

And that's probably the key focus point about this oddity of a series. I've always thought that the Railgun anime's strangest quality was that it drew fans of plot and action and fans of SOL,4 high-school girls moe shows together under one roof. The problem was that the source material wasn't about slice of life and the differing expectations for the series created one of the biggest schisms in anime/manga fanbase history (minus every shipping war). By all aspects, the Sisters Arc was the better arc but the fact that there are people that like the second arc more just highlights the schism. In fact, Railgun S is basically the schism between fans made into an anime. And because of that, the anime as a whole is rated lower than it would have been had it stuck to the canon material. Index fans have a term for this entire phenomena: Cloverfield.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3