• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Four Your Eyes Only

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Megane-bu was kind of fun. Stupid, very very stupid, but entertainingly stupid, I thought.
That said, I'm still surprised it got any kind of physical release!
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
...and the villain in Space Adventure is basically Space David Bowie. SO GLAM!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Meganebu! I'll be getting the Blu-ray myself in a few weeks. I think it's just pure dumb fun and the colorful visuals are mindblowingly awesome!

Ironically, I thought Sunday Without a God was very lame. The first 3 episodes were absolutely great, but pretty much everything after felt like a whole bunch of 'meh'.

Also, gonna get the Dr. Slump movies, because Akira Toriyama reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
2 things have made me very happy. First, that Sunday Without God was deemed shelf worthy. Second, was seeing Aria the Scarlet Ammo on Adam's shelf...wish they'd make another season of that show.

Meganebu! is a show I checked out, and I checked out after episode 4. Felt like a whole lot of nothing was happening in that one. And all the jokes about glasses got old pretty quickly, especially the invention they were trying to make. The show did look nice.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Without God was one of my favorite anime from last year, and I'm really glad I ordered it. Sure its not a perfect series, but it is very atmospheric and brings up some good, and deep questions. Too bad the anime bombed in Japan, and nobody will translate the novels, because I've heard just enough spoilers to want to know what happens, but nobody seems to know, and that frustrates me...
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Meganebu! is a show I checked out, and I checked out after episode 4. Felt like a whole lot of nothing was happening in that one. And all the jokes about glasses got old pretty quickly, especially the invention they were trying to make. The show did look nice.

That was about where I checked out too. Since I have a thing for guys in glasses I was really excited about this one. And it was really pretty to boot! But it struck me as really strange that in a show about guys with glasses, there wasn't a single Stoic type, which, at least with anime guys, is kinda part of the appeal, right? Yukiya kinda tried, I guess, but he really wasn't quite the stoic type.

Yeah, I'm just really sad they actually made an anime all about my fetish and it didn't appeal to me at all. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dboypr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo are you waiting for an email to know if you are pregnant? That is some high tech 21st century advanced sh*t right there. That'll make anyone throw up Shocked
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
2 things have made me very happy. First, that Sunday Without God was deemed shelf worthy. Second, was seeing Aria the Scarlet Ammo on Adam's shelf...wish they'd make another season of that show.

I ended up liking Aria the Scarlet Ammo a lot more than I thought I would by the time I finished it. I'd love to see more too, but that seems fairly unlikely at this point.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Adam! Both sets of Fate/Zero! Shocked Love it. Also Garden of Sinners and Gurren Lagann! Good taste my friend.
ThisGuy010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was crazy when I actually paid all that money for the Fale/Zero box sets but you bought them twice and you bought the SAO box sets... thats a nice collection and expensive O.O
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, as the series wears on, it dawns on you—nothing ever changes. The boys don't really change one way or another, nor do their relationships or the jokes that they crack.

That was one of the biggest roadblocks that kept me from trying the series. And one of the biggest differences I can draw between it and Free!. For all its silliness, camp fanservice, and so forth, the latter made a point of acknowledging the passage of time and the changes its cast underwent as a result, I felt, made Free! more than a skin-deep show.
FoxgloveLove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Damn, Adam! Both sets of Fate/Zero! Shocked Love it. Also Garden of Sinners and Gurren Lagann! Good taste my friend.

Agreed
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
I cry a little every time I see so many freaking AoA shows lined up on a shelf.

I mean, damn, if I had that kind of money, maybe I can make a dent in this f**king college loan. :/
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and involves zero moe
Is Arale not moe?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Sunday Without God: What if they threw a zombie apocalypse and nobody brought the zombies?

"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."; Even later on the anime, a couple of people come out and say there was no "grand announcement" from on high so everything is guesswork, even from those who should know better or just know period. It's just used to rewrite Genesis... which just brings up more questions.

It's a great fantasy series, certainly the best without any fantasy elements beyond the undead, Gravekeepers and the patchwork people from the likes of classic Oz but like any ZA, rationality is best left on the sideline because explanations just get in the way. Personally, I think God and undead people are all side effects of the real issue: spoiler[wishing] but that would kind of imply everyone is spoiler[God], right?

Fantastic series and Ai is one of the great heroines: Intuitive, smart and optimistic in a world than can only focus on unchanging death and constant death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3