• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who buys anime anymore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I still buy anime, but it's been decreasing over the last few years and it's mostly because of streaming. I only buy a physical copy if I really enjoyed it and thought that it had rewatch value. I just got a Crunchyroll account about a year ago and it's saved me a lot of money since I can watch shows before buying them. The last blind buy I did was Haibane Renmei and that was a few years ago.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
I still buy a lot of anime, but not as much as I used to, since before I would blind buy titles. I stopped doing that after running into space issues and since legal streaming became common, because I watch the show and test the waters, and then buy it if it was really good.

I have over 500 various anime movies series, and OVAs and there were about a couple hundred more that I used to own but sold off because I didn't like them or knew I probably wouldn't watch again.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Until streaming can match the audio/visual quality of the current physical media released, I will continue to buy whatever that physical media is.

I suspect that will be the case for quite some time still.
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I still buy and watch the vast majority of my anime on DVD/BD. I've never really been one to watch a lot of streaming shows. I will say that at least with legal streams becoming more and more available, I have used them to preview shows I'm interested in to see if it might be worth picking up someday when its for a price I'm willing to pay. Very rarely do I blind buy as much as I used to.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I used to blind-buy anime, but not anymore. I also don't support Aniplex unless I find their prices to be within the realm of reasonable, which doesn't happen very often. I now purchase shows that I would rate "Very good" or higher, again dependent on price.

There are some shows, like Cowboy Bebop, that have infinite credit with me. That show changed the way I viewed anime, and I would buy it several times over. I generally prefer blu-ray to streaming just because of the higher quality and I've stopped buying anime DVD's altogether. It's blu-ray or bust.

All in all I tend to purchase a few titles a year, less than five. That includes shows that are split into parts. I am a collector at heart and sometimes it's difficult to convince myself that I shouldn't buy that series that I only rated "good" even though it happens to be on sale.

I do import titles on occasion. The Japanese Ghibli editors are gorgeous, for example. I also import soundtracks of both anime and video games. I'm in my mid-twenties, and I've been purchasing anime for over a decade.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Until streaming can match the audio/visual quality of the current physical media released, I will continue to buy whatever that physical media is.

I suspect that will be the case for quite some time still.

Good point and totally agree. Physical media isn't just for collection purposes, it's also people who value quality over convenience (though obviously you can want both). If I'm watching a show I like, I want to watch it with the best video and audio quality available. Even you can stream blu ray quality shows, not everyone has a fast enough connection to do it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
While I am open to the idea of being able to legally stream titles online, I am unfortunately in a rural area where I can't get easy access to cable and DSL. This leaves me with my only options being wireless, satellite and dial-up for Internet; the first two being more costly than cable and DSL and having low data caps. This forces me to still have to rely on physical anime releases for a good chunk of my anime viewing as watching these titles legally online would otherwise quickly eat through my low data cap of 20 GB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I still buy.

I only buy dubbed anime on DVD (no blu ray player yet). Due to a tighter budget, I also wait for sales to buy and am more picky about what I buy.

With Halloween coming up I suggested When They Cry to someone. However, looking around online I couldn't find it legally streaming anywhere. My When They Cry DVDs are buried behind other DVDs. But I'm glad I'll be able to dig them out when I want to watch them.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I have always previewed a series through fansubs first then if I like or loved the show enough bought it at time of release. Never in my life except for once did I ever blind buy a show technically I legally previewed a episode or two and since the shows were on sale I said what the hell. Ended up selling them for what I paid for them after watching them once and made a promise to never blind buy again.

Most of my friends except for one don't buy physical media anymore either because of the cost they can't afford to and or they no longer have the time anymore to watch them and keep up with the newer shows.

For me if I didn't buy physical media anymore I wouldn't know what to do with my disposable income since I don't buy a lot of things and make pretty good money.

I like collecting and being able to pop in a disc and watch a show or episode anytime when I have a day off or I'm sick etc.

My buying habits for buying go something like this: If I really liked the show and or loved it I'll pre-order it and buy it ASAP. A show I liked and wouldn't mind owning I'll buy it sometime down the line, not in a hurry to get it but will own it eventually. Then their is a show I somewhat liked but unless it's on sale for a low price I'll pass on it since it's not a most own for me. Last didn't really like it that much at all but if it's a price so low they are giving it away I say what the hell and buy it.

Most of my buying habits fall under the first two options.

Even though I don't have all the time in the world to watch my collection since I work a lot I still plan on buying discs.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
I still buy nearly all anime. I completely understand the situation about discretionary income though. It's funny, because my CR subscription is sitting mostly unused now. But after finishing a show, I try to remember to let it stream on CR overnight, if they still have it. However I do actually use CR for manga when I get the chance.

A while back I used to watch mostly the TV versions, whether fansubs or official streams back when CR started. Except for a few light, episodic shows, I've mostly shifted to just marathoning the BDs now. I'll usually just download the fansubbed/ripped BD versions and buy the US releases, including Aniplex's, if/when they're released later.

First, it's just a lot more enjoyable for me to view a large chunk of a show in one sitting. Personally, I cannot stand to watch 20 mins of a serialized story then wait a week later for another measly 20 mins.

Second, the final home video masters is very important to me. I want to watch it uncensored, with any revisions or animation corrections or additional scenes. Every anime undergoes changes on home video. Does this matter to anyone else?

Third, like other people have mentioned, it's just nice to actually have a copy that is truly yours. There's the convenience factor and streams don't last.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3