• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This was a great episode, but the jokey unwanted sexual innuendo Hak heaped on Yona really bugged me. I know lines like "will you pay me with your body" are par for the course in shoujo manga, but I don't have to like it.

I sort of took that as Hak wanting Yona to be creeped out by it, so she would back off and let him go. I'm pretty sure that if she had said, "Okay, sure thing," he would've had no clue how to respond.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Su-won's reaction to this, both physically and verbally, starts to make one wonder if it isn't Hak he has the stronger feelings for.

Well, it wouldn't be surprising if he had "stronger feelings" for Hak since Hak's basically portrayed as being perfect in every way so far. In fact he's so perfect that i'm starting to get tired of him which is why i'm glad that the harem finally seems to be growing...

I also liked to see more of the palace politics and i hope that - even if the focus of the show will be Yona and her harem - we'll be seeing more of this. I personally wouldn't mind seeing more of "wet Su-Won" either. Wink
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I personally wouldn't mind seeing more of "wet Su-Won" either. Wink

Very Happy It was like watching Mr. Darcy come out of the lake in the BBC Pride and Prejudice all over again.

Oh, and I misspelled the new character's name in the review - he's Yun, not Jun. Sorry about that! Embarassed
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Su-won's reaction to this, both physically and verbally, starts to make one wonder if it isn't Hak he has the stronger feelings for. It would explain his aversion to marrying Yona, which I had previously assumed to be because he had brotherly feelings for her.

Man, glad I'm not the only one who came away with that impression. Was wondering if I just had my fujoshi goggles on too tight.

(Not that I'd actually want Hak to get with Su-won, or really anyone other than Yona, but you know what I mean. Razz)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 grade: B+

Just when I was starting to wonder if Yona of the Dawn was going to ultimately become a generic action/adventure, reverse harem, episode 6 comes along and makes me renew my interest in this anime.

The presumption of Yona's death is setting up a potential great plot device. How are Su-won and the people of the palace going to react when the dead princess reappears? And I agree with Rebecca that Su-won is becoming a very interesting character.

And, yes; Chiwa Saito is a damn great voice actress.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
@episode 7 review:

I'm pretty sure they said in this episode that the dragon warriors left directly after the death of King Hiryuu, and that the current 5 tribes developed independently after that. In other words, the 5 tribes don't actually have anything to do with the 4 dragons, or at least don't have such a direct connection.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7: on the nose prophesy exposition. On the one hand, it sets up our quest for the ultimate bishie harem of superpowered warriors. On the other, it's a bit "generic Fushigi Yugi," and it gives us a simplistic explanation for any and all superpowers. They were born with it! Because Deity Dragons entrusted their ancestors with it! They also have genetic loyalty to the princess! When Hak asks "how do you know they'll be loyal?" The answer is (based on the prophesy) "plot- or, um, genetic determination from dragon blooded ancestors," which doesn't leave a lot of room for suspense.

I guessed that Hak would be skeptical of all the religious/spiritual/prophesy stuff. We need a Scully to Yona's Mulder.

This episode was a bit boilerplate, but it moved the plot along some, and it had Yona asking to be trained in weaponry at the end--a solid, pratical, non dragon blood related road to self determination for her, which is great.

Anyone else bugged by the priest's character design? I hate it when hair gets anywhere near my eyes, so seeing a (presumedly sighted) guy with an eye covering shaggy dog hairstyle annoys me to no end. I keep thinking he'll end up having super vision and he needs to cover his ridiculous looking bulging eyes that stick right out of their sockets!
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn between my impatience for later story developments (/character appearances) and my joy over the fact that they are animating every single page of the manga and not skipping over anything. I really appreciated this look at Yun's history and his relationship with Ik-su. Learning a practical working skill (sandal-making) that could help him survive and earn a living was a neat detail to include. And the depiction of his newfound loneliness was so well done...

Okay, I have one (silly) nitpick, which is that it seemed weird to me when Yun built an entire fire and only then wavered and decided not to burn the book. I think it would've been more natural if his moment of indecision came as he was striking the fire, not after it was merrily burning along. But then there wouldn't have been a fish fry, I guess. That whole scene seems to have been added for the anime, so I'll excuse its oddity since it also gave us Hak's lines about being immortal (haha) and about the weight of another's life against one's own, which I thought were a nice bit of character insight.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
It makes no sense whatsoever to downgrade an anime because it spends time on character development. If we don't care about the six or seven characters who are going to help her in her battle, what's the point of watching? This would just be another shallow action anime.

I'm not saying the anime is stellar, but they HAVE to spend time to give us the background on the important characters or it's just a waste of time to watch. I thought this back story was affecting and well-done.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it worked for you, sunflower. I felt that it was a problem not because it took time to give us Yun's backstory, but because it did so in a clunky way that didn't lend itself to the development of both plot and character. Luckily we are all able to have our own reactions and thoughts on the matter. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Okay, I have one (silly) nitpick, which is that it seemed weird to me when Yun built an entire fire and only then wavered and decided not to burn the book. I think it would've been more natural if his moment of indecision came as he was striking the fire, not after it was merrily burning along.

I disagree. He was hurt and angry, and striking the fire is the prime physical expression of that. But people waver (if they're going to) at the point when their actions become irrevocable. Light a fire, feel I'll-show-him satisfaction in the thought of burning that bridge. Toss the book, the moment is lost and there's no turning back.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Why does Yona need a harem when she has Hak? Laughing

Great review of ep 9. I didn't quite catch the implications of Hak's feelings when he didn't buy Yona that self defense dagger, but it makes sense that he wants to feel needed, and a part of him is nervous that Yona might ditch him if she becomes perfectly capable of taking care of herself. Of course, that's patently ridiculous. Who would ditch the sexiest, strongest, most handsome warrior in all of Kouka? Wink

I was caught offguard by Hak's completely serious "it stirs my desire" comment. I think that's the first time he was sincere and frank about his attraction to Yona. I think she, being a sheltered Princess who wasn't considered to be of marriageable age by her father before he died, Yona has absolutely no clue about sex (even if she were taught the basic biology) and is completely naïve. Seeing her surrounded by guys will be interesting. Poor, poor Hak!
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
The English subtitles are wrong when they said King Il forbade people from reading that book. After listening carefully to Keishuk, you can hear him say "Yuhon-sama", who is Suwon's father. It makes much more sense to have the man who had also banished the priests to have done that than the man who read that tale to his baby girl as a bedtime story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Watching the emotional farewell scene at the end of the episode, and a thought came to my mind: Ki-Ja and Granny, OTP?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
liloaznangel wrote:
The English subtitles are wrong when they said King Il forbade people from reading that book. After listening carefully to Keishuk, you can hear him say "Yuhon-sama", who is Suwon's father. It makes much more sense to have the man who had also banished the priests to have done that than the man who read that tale to his baby girl as a bedtime story.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was definitely confused when they said that line. XDDD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8